Bison Organic Chocolate Stout - Bison Brewing

Bison Organic Chocolate StoutBison Organic Chocolate Stout

Bison Brewing visit their website

American Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002)
nrbw23

1.43/5  rDev -58.8%

A-Very dark if not black. Looks good but well....

S-Well, chocolate and I think it might be coffee.

T-Terrible. Probably one of the worst things I have ever tasted. A little chocolate and I'm not quite sure what else maybe some sort of Earthly taste.

M-Watery and dry. Once again not very good.

D-I don't know if I would ever try one of these again. I choked the one down and I know I will never buy these.

03-02-2008 22:26:29 | More by nrbw23
Lefty1881

1.7/5  rDev -51%

Dark color, good amount of off white head, earthy cocoa aroma yet bland. Tastes like dirt and chalky cocoa. Very watery. Tried to enjoy it, but couldn't . Drain pour, no fun.

I know they went organic with this one, but just bland offering that needs a lot of work.

01-12-2011 04:38:14 | More by Lefty1881
thebarracuda

1.7/5  rDev -51%

Pours a deep dark brown with a thick tan head that stays around.
with the first sip I taste heavy cocoa mixed in with some bitterness and stale coffee. I really don't taste any chocolate at all, but loads of cocoa. And like most things "organic" this is not very good, not at all. Others might like it, I dont. I dont know if I want to choke it down and hope I end up liking it, or pouring it down the drain.

07-29-2006 06:42:20 | More by thebarracuda
BMart

1.75/5  rDev -49.6%

05-13-2013 16:47:18 | More by BMart
ChugMan

Washington

1.9/5  rDev -45.2%

A - Nearly opaque, dark ruddy red brown along edges. Thin froth around edges of glass, otherwise, no head. No lacing.
S- Chocolate, that's good. Salt, soy sauce, mesquite, hmm. Very rich, toffee, maple syrupy, dense aroma, not particularly inviting.
T - Watery. Smoke, more of that mesquite sensation through the nose. Some bitter cocoa. Hops show up just long enough to wave goodbye.
M - Very thin. Carbonation outlasts the hops, making this feel like a possibly decent beer which someone decided to thin out with club soda. Who is this person, and why did they do such a horrible thing?
O - This is an underwhelming, watered-down disappointment. Avoid.

04-26-2013 07:44:49 | More by ChugMan
jgurley

1.9/5  rDev -45.2%

Poured a nice dark almost black with a good looking head which went away quickly. No lacing at all. Smell is a bit metallic. I get a lot of black olive in the nose and no chocolate. Taste is where the biggest letdown comes. Metallic up front. I get some burnt maltiness and bitterness. Chocolate is not very pronounced. The mouthfeel is so thin, it's weird. Feels almost as thin as a light beer. No body, very little stout flavor. I won't buy this again.

06-15-2011 18:39:34 | More by jgurley
BergBeer

1.96/5  rDev -43.5%

Bomber poured into a Stone RIS tulip glass

A: Brown-black with a latte head

S: Sweet roasted malt, Choclate tones, prunes, and wheat bread crust. Smells good!

T: Nothing like the smell. Harsh dry/chalky taste. Hints of almost burnt/smoky coffee and semi sweet chocolate. The smokiness really takes front and center and ruins it for me. Not very flavorful.

M: Dry, chalky, and thin on the tongue.

O: Not a fan. Really craved a stout so i picked this up because it was 4 bucks. Regret it. Closest thing i have had to a drain pour. Immediately went out and bought Ten Fidy in it's place. Avoid.

10-19-2013 22:56:38 | More by BergBeer

Radiosox

08-02-2013 21:31:11 | More by Radiosox
anthonygrg

2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

This beer was quite disappointing. Although it is very drinkable, the flavor profile is almost non-existent. When I read the words "chocolate stout" I expect deep, rich, and hopefully bold flavors. This brew has none of that. The chocolate/coffeeish aroma is actually stronger than the flavor profile, which is annoying because I keep smelling what I wish I were tasting!

09-02-2012 06:39:22 | More by anthonygrg
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

Poured into stemless chardonnay glass...

A- Pours black with a two finger caramel head. Pretty standard. Nice looking for a stout, but nothing incredible

S- Toasty and roasty. Some awkward charcoal aroma. Sweet chocolate powder smell, definitely natural and organic smelling- I do like that natural aspect of it.

T/M- All iron. Tastes like roasty and thinned down blood in a way. Can't get past the mineral content. Some chocolate right before the iron... In the end just not enjoyable. Thin and watery with little carbonation. Feels gritty on tongue because so thin.

O- Glad I finally tried this beer but it isn't something I will revisit. Taste just didn't have many solid beer/stout qualities. I don't know if it is lack of brewers skills/knowledge or the strict adherence to keeping the beer organic that brought it down? Either way it just doesn't cut it for a beer drinker.

07-22-2011 18:46:52 | More by TheGordianKnot

2.28/5  rDev -34.3%

08-14-2014 18:47:47 | More by Tincanman
RBorsato

2.35/5  rDev -32.3%

Black with dark brown edges to a light source, a full big bubbled head and overactive carbonation indicative of a problem. Chocolate, roasted malt, and oxidized/infected aroma and flavors. Medium-light bodied due to overcarbonation with a dry cocoa powder finish.

I need to find an un-infected version of this b/c it certainly had potential.

A bottle of on of these exploded in my basement not long ago and the owner/brewer was great when I discussed the matter with him ... I'll try again for sure.

Per label: "Stout brewed with cocoa" & "USDA Organic" & "Since 1989" & "Fine cocoa in the mash"

Per BB website: Dutch cocoa. 5 Organic malts.

2005 GABF - Silver - Foreign Style Stout

($9.99 / 6-pack)

10-18-2006 19:41:08 | More by RBorsato
livingregret

Washington

2.4/5  rDev -30.8%

Serving Type: a large bottle(over a pint)

Appearance: A black that is as dark as night...wonderful looking beer but no head, no lacing, no nothing in terms of the head.

Smell: A powdery cocoa smell. Dark roasted malt, a touch of coffee. They weren't joking when they said they use chocolate cocoa.

Taste: Bitter cocoa chocolate. You can also taste what seems like burnt coffee. Watery at points leaves this chocolate stout feeling a touch ehhhh.

Mouthfeel: Watery, thin...leaves a bitter/dry feeling in the mouth

Drinkability: I don't see myself trying another beer...to watery and bitter. Not enough "umph" w/ this drink

09-04-2007 03:32:44 | More by livingregret
fountainofyouth

District of Columbia

2.43/5  rDev -30%

Poured from a bottle into a Guinness pint glass.

Appearance: Light brown head, two fingers or so, and goes away pretty quickly. Body is near-black and doesn't react to light at all.

Smell: I'm hoping I can control for a stuffy nose here. I smell sweet grains, not a ton of chocolate per se. Pleasant but restrained. Maybe a little bit of herbal hops.

Taste: Not a fan. Very bitter and raw. Ashy and unbalanced. Desperately lacking malt sweetness, not to mention chocolate. Overall there's hardly any real flavor. I've had very few beers disagree more than this one between the nose and the taste.

Mouthfeel: Carb is pretty light, body is fairly full. No lasting feeling. Strangely it's a little bit refreshing.

Overall: I've had a lot of stouts, and this easily was one of the least flavorful I've ever had. No chocolate, no coffee, no real malt substance at all. This is the first time I'm having it. If I have it again and experience the same thing, I will avoid it in the future.

09-08-2013 02:53:07 | More by fountainofyouth
stckhndlr

2.44/5  rDev -29.7%

The first thing you notice with this one is the pitch black pour with a great head, from there is it all down hill for me. The chocolate was faint. It got a bit stronger as it warmed but not enough. When I read chocolate on the bottle that is what I want to smell and taste. This one had a very unpleasant aftertaste with really turned me off. Plus there was not a whole lot to chew on for a stout, I felt it was quite thin. I was really disappointed with this beer. It took a lot for me to finish it to keep it from being a drain pour.

03-24-2013 17:18:36 | More by stckhndlr
jsanford

Georgia

2.45/5  rDev -29.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours cola-black with a fizzy head of coffee-colored foam that dissipates quickly, leaving a slight ring and haze. I could have mistook this for a Pepsi.
S - Dark roasted malt, caramel, and chocolate syrup. Smells sweet and sticky.
T - Chocolate obviously dominates, along with dark malt and more caramel, but there's an unpleasant copper-penny oxidized quality that I don't care for. I'd assume it's an old bottle, but with no noticeable freshness date I can't be sure. Ugh, there's some red berry flavor in here too, I believe we have an infection on our hands.
M - Medium-thin bodied with fairly crisp carbonation.
O - I couldn't finish this one, whether it was old or infected doesn't matter, it was plain gross. Drain pour. Sorry Bison, I love the organic approach, but I won't be having this again.

03-28-2011 02:25:50 | More by jsanford
artoolemomo

2.48/5  rDev -28.5%

Appearance- Pours up a minimal amount of head which seems to have poor retention. The head is a dark golden beige while the body is an opaque, dark chocolate black. No lacing is left behind.

Nose- Chocolate and roasted malts. Very strong from the bottle, a little weaker from the glass. The glass, however, shows a bit of nuttiness. Hints of tomato and red wine start to appear.

Taste- Very sour for a beer that isn't really supposed to be sour. It's a blend of tomato juice, white wine with an acerbic finish. Roasted notes intermittently play in the flavor profile but not enough to clean up the all that mess. There is some lemon and an underlying cloying sweetness. Close to a green tea bitterness on the finish. This beer has no integration and no balance and way too much presence. In addition to all this, it is bit thin and watery. The palate is dominated with off flavors. The cocoa is minimal and does little confront the negative aspects of this beer.

Mouthfeel- Very thin and light bodied for a stout. Carbonation is very weak as well.

Drinkability- Almost a drain pour. And I've never drain poured a beer in my life. Enough said.

Overall- This beer is gross. The flavor would have to become a lot smoother to even approach mediocrity. I would probably rather have some BMC. I cannot recommend this beer at all.

08-04-2013 23:38:58 | More by artoolemomo
lsrose

Indiana

2.48/5  rDev -28.5%

I had this out of a bottle. Poured with a decent tan head but disappeared completely after a little bit. At first, it had an ok taste but an off after taste. The more of it I drank the worse this taste got. I didn't even finish it. It was also a pretty watery stout.

02-11-2011 03:38:43 | More by lsrose