Bison Organic Chocolate Stout - Bison Brewing

Bison Organic Chocolate StoutBison Organic Chocolate Stout

Bison Brewing visit their website

American Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002)
Dlish

3.68/5  rDev +5.7%

I think this beer has a lot of potential for improvements. Smells of rich chocolate, cream, hint of toffee and roasted malts. Taste of sweet milk chocolate, heavy cream, and finishes with lightly roasted malts that do not have a very distinctive or impressionable taste in the mouth. No taste of or smell of any hops.
There is not much of aftertaste after it's down, and the little roast malt and hop flavor combined with the low carbonation makes the mouth-feel lacking and needs to be improved upon. But, for a relatively low price, I'd might buy it again.

05-11-2010 05:00:57 | More by Dlish
russpowell

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours an effervescent mahogany with 1+ finger of fluffy mocha colored head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Iron & lots of cocoa

T: Cocoa, roasty, malt & baker's chocolate, plus iron up front. Cocoa, ironm & roasty malt dominate as this warms along with some dryness. Finishes with cocoa powder & slight coffee notes

MF: Creamy, smooth & medium bodied. Thinned out a bit as it warmed

Drinks pretty easy, a nice take on the style

05-09-2010 21:19:25 | More by russpowell
felipe2toes

4.1/5  rDev +17.8%

Deep black in appearance with tan head and nice retention.

Smells of chocolate, smoke, brown sugar, coffee, and roasted malt. Tastes pretty much like it smells, lots of cocoa and coffee. Has a faint hop bitterness in the finish.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel. And at 5% ABV (according to the bottle), this stout is really easy drinking.

05-09-2010 04:49:21 | More by felipe2toes
wolfinthemirror

3.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured very dark in the glass, lets some light through and a deep ruby reveals itself when held to the light.
has a monderate head, doesn't seem like it will stick around too long.

I get roasted malts big time in the nose. Smokiness and burnt qualities throughout. There is also a prelude to sweetness, and a dark chocolate aroma.

a bit astringent, more so than I thought it would be, as I expected sweet. some of the chocolate is there, but it's subtle. Lacks complexity and the body I was expecting, unfortunately. Reminds me more of a porter than a stout.

medium bodied, light carbonation but a bit thin.

This was a good one to try once, but im not too impressed. Not really what I look for in a stout. Pretty underwhelming all in all.

05-04-2010 03:18:00 | More by wolfinthemirror
yemenmocha

Arizona

4.05/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours opaque black with generous head. Nose is incredible on this beer with plenty of coffee & chocolate aromas. On the palate it's a bit thin and watery for a stout, but still has rewarding flavors of roasted malt, chocolate, and a healthy balance of hops. Roasty on the finish and very easy drinking.

05-03-2010 03:30:53 | More by yemenmocha
colts9016

Idaho

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into a pint glass at 47 degrees.

Appearance: A solid one finger medium brown foamy, creamy, head. The color of the beer is dark brown to opaque. Clarity of the beer is opaque also.

Nose: Rich dark roasted malt, coffee, bittersweet chocolate, molasses, toffee, dark fruit, oatmeal, and cream. There are notes of wood, phenols, and floral esters.

Taste: A very rich roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, espresso, molasses, oatmeal, toffee, oak, floral esters, phenols, and some figs.

The mouth feel is creamy, rich, coating and slightly dry.

Overall: The body of the beer is medium thick and the finish is medium full. The nose on this beer just doesn't match the taste. The nose is a rich vibrant fudge like and the taste is like bland cocoa. It is a good beer and I enjoyed drinking it.

04-26-2010 05:16:56 | More by colts9016
webbcreative

3.78/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured black, with tan 3 finger head from an aggressive pour. Pretty decent lacing for a stout.

Smell is Roasted malt and coffee, not much else.

Taste - First few sips were pretty metallic, but as it warmed up it faded, but never went away entirely. I was able to pick some chocolate, coffee, and roasted malts, no hop presence at all.

Mouthfeel is thin.

Overall this is a pretty good stout - nothing phenomenal, but at less than $4 a bomber - its a pretty good deal.

04-25-2010 00:38:35 | More by webbcreative
bump8628

3.83/5  rDev +10.1%

Nearly black with a soapy tan head.

Mostly coffee on the nose with a hint of smoke...where's the chocolate?

Ahh, there it is. Among the flavors of espresso, cream, and caramel emerges a solid dark cocoa flavor. Bitterness is substantial as is an earthy hop flavor.

A nice little stout. I won't go out of my way for it, but I'm certainly enjoying it. The fact that it's organic is another plus.

04-14-2010 02:34:30 | More by bump8628
Onenote81

3.6/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark brownish black with a reddish tint to the edges. A big frothy tan head caps it off. Decent retention; left some pretty lace behind. Scents of cocoa powder, dark breads, and plums.

The body is crisp, yet smooth. Decent feel. Flavor of cocoa, milky sweetness, graham cracker crust, and some breadiness. Bitterness is low. This is what it is. A chocolate stout with plenty of chocolate-character. Not bad.

04-03-2010 15:43:33 | More by Onenote81
stakem

2.98/5  rDev -14.4%

Review from notes taken 2/14/10.

Pours a dark brown color with less than a finger of tanned head. Nice amount of lace despite a poor display of retension. Nose is mostly dominated by chocolate powder and so is the taste. Light feel and medium amount of carbonation. Overall it just seems a bit watered down. The organic stamp since 1989 shouldn't be an excuse for lack of taste. As it warms there is a very minor amount of hop character in the nose and some coffee character reveals itself in both the nose and taste. After letting this beer warm up well beyond ideal serving temp (while I contemplated pouring it down the drain) I went back in for one last smell an taste and noted just a bit of dark fruitiness. Overall impression is that I wouldn't buy it again but it is somewhat interesting how very subtle flavors are hidden behind all the cocoa powder character.

03-31-2010 11:58:52 | More by stakem
thegodfather2701

4.1/5  rDev +17.8%

A-Black with auburn hues. It has a nice mocha colored head.

S-Cocoa powder, coffee, and a hint of hops.

T-Cocoa and fresh brewed coffee dominate at first. The more I drank the more the chocolate dominated and also I noticed some caramel/toffee in the aftertaste.

M-Pretty thick and creamy with a nice carbonation.

D-Highly drinkable. Its abv. is really 5% so it makes for a nice session beer.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer and will purchase it again.

03-11-2010 01:44:31 | More by thegodfather2701
kaseydad

3.73/5  rDev +7.2%

Note: ABV is listed on bottle as 5.0%.

Bomber pour into a pint glass and I am met with a dark brown ale and a huge three-fingered beige head. Nice lacing.

An aroma of hot chocolate powder (before the hot choco is made), espresso, and dark chocolate. Very nice.

A nice somewhat chocolaty taste with some coffee hints on the swallow. A nice light bitterness on the buds. I get a major black coffee taste a few seconds after the swallow.

Watery mouthfeel.

Overall I felt this was an excellent brew. I've passed by this countless times in the store but was given it as a gift for Christmas. I'm glad I did. Very well balanced and worth a try.

12-29-2009 22:41:33 | More by kaseydad
sirdrinkwell

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

a: pours dark but not opaque, and actually reveals some ruby facets against the light. light, thin head...

s: sweet malt and chocolate mixed with coffee bean...

t: hits the tongue with a light blast of creamy malts and chocolate bitterness and then softens with an almost wheaty finish

m: extremely smooth and light, evenly carbonated and refreshing...

d: a bit light, but i wouldn't have a hard time drinking this every now and again...

salud!

11-28-2009 05:00:12 | More by sirdrinkwell
eljefe21

3.68/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Dark cola-colored body with a single-finger head that sizzles with carbonation. Fine, but watery, lacing.

S: Pleasant chocolate and coffee smells. Nothing too powerful or special, but solid and spot on.

T: An almost nothing taste, works to bitter coffee, followed by a chocolate, sweet center and finish. A classic combo of tastes. Bitter, sweet. Simple without much complexity.

M: A bit watery and thin with decent carbonation. The combo of feels tends to wash away the tastes, which are nice, but fleeting.

D: Too watery to satisfy my cravings for a good stout. Not crisp enough to work as a warm weather quencher. I wish this were a bit thicker so I could enjoy it for the stout it wants to be.

Served: in a faceted mug.

Review from notes taken on: 10/13/09.

11-08-2009 13:49:31 | More by eljefe21
unclejimbay

Bison Organic Chocolate Stout
Bison Brewing Co.
Style: American Stout
ABV: 6.10 %

reviewed ~7/2009 during a BCBCS homerew day w/ JH
bottle>mug

4.0 across the board on this brew....

Medium/dark brown in color with a satisfactory head & retention. Light tan creamy head with respectable lace. Smells of dark chocolate malts followed by coffee roasty-ness. Tastes as it smells with a subtle but noticeable hop finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a bit of a thin finish, keeps it easy drinking.

This is a more chocolate suggestive stout for sure, less of a coffee bomb thna some others, and sessionable at 6% abv. I enjoyed this brew and would get it again if the price is right and I want a cold weather sipping stout thats not too boozy.

10-15-2009 21:19:52 | More by unclejimbay
guinness310

Poured into a Nonic...

A: First thing i notice is that its got good head retention. A mid-frothy almond colored head is supported by a dark body with dark ruby tones outlining the nonic.

S: Definitely smell the cocoa/toffee and roasted malts...

T: The taste was good but did not do the smell justice. leaves a kinda "sour" taste in the back of my tounge, while my palate gets hardly any attention. the taste of dark roasted malts and coffee linger around my mouth, while the cocoa seems so far behind the two stronger flavours.

M: Mid-bodied with medium-high carbonation. spaced-lacing around certain sides of the glass.

Not a bad beer but i wont be buying this one again. Or recomending it to friends that are heavily into Chocolate Stouts

09-19-2009 08:09:32 | More by guinness310
BeerSox

12oz bottle into nonic.

Pitch black, with a one finger tan head that settles to a thin cap.

Plenty of light and sweet chocolate, on top of a contrasting roasted malt aroma.

The malts are a little sharper in the flavor, adding a bitterness, but paired with an overall creamy tone. The chocolate is slightly less sweet, roaming more into a cocoa territory. Full bodied.

Not bad, certainly for an organic beer. Being a stout with a chocolate accent certainly helps any off favors that usually are paired with organic beers. Nothing too exciting, but a good well rounded beer to cap off an evening.

08-04-2009 00:53:22 | More by BeerSox
ATSJer

Kentucky

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

Bottle
Slightly cooler than room temp

Appearance: this brew has a smooth pour and builds an almond colored head quickly to about 1 finger which begins to fade to a thin layer within a minute or so, the head has a medium froth nowhere near as dense as the Guinness nitro-bottle; the head also slides off leaving no lacing on the glass. The brew itself is near black, but on the edges and bottom you can see that it is a very deep amber, especially when held to the light. It is a clear liquid, and I could see some evidence of carbonation with a single bubble stream visible on the surface. There was nothing really extra ordinary about the appearance, and the fact that it was not opaque reminded me of the Guinness, but this was even clearer. It looked good, but really just seemed average to me.

Smell: I hold my breath as I put my nose in the glass before inhaling, and even then I could feel the bite of the bitterness in my nostrils which really made me think I was in for a very hoppy brew. As I inhaled the spice was indeed prominent, and there was thick dark malt that you would expect from a stout. I could also smell some sweetness like toffee, but I was really left searching for any chocolate aroma.

Taste: The spice is certainly in this brew but not nearly as strong as I was expecting from the aroma, as I am not one who likes an overly hoppy brew I was pleasantly surprised at the difference between the aroma and the initial taste. Continuing with the first pull I tasted the heavy malts that should not come as a surprise when drinking stouts, this was followed by the bite of bitterness at the finish that was sharper than the Guinness, I really only noticed the chocolate at the end and it seemed a very rich dark chocolate. As I continued to explore the tastes I concentrated on the sweetness which is there on the tip of the tongue but certainly not a primary flavor. This did not taste at all watered down.

Mouthfeel: The Chocolate Stout is a thicker feeling brew than Guinness but certainly not syrupy by any stretch. I didn't notice any creaminess although there was a thin buttery coating in my mouth after swallowing. One thing that I noticed early was the carbonation, I expected to feel this from the appearance and I was afraid that it might be overbearing but that was not to be, the carbonation fizzed on my tongue some but it was not distracting from the flavors.

Drinkability: This is a good drinking brew, but the carbonation hangs in the stomach more than others and causes some bloating, the liquid itself is not all that heavy but with the carbonation it is rather filling even after a single pint. I can see drinking this in the evening with friends or family, or drinking one with a steak dinner, but I can't imagine anyone slamming these at a party. I certainly recommend this brew as a drinkable, and flavorful expression of what a stout is while not being completely overbearing.

07-24-2009 02:30:19 | More by ATSJer
womencantsail

3.08/5  rDev -11.5%

A: Dark brown in color, quite a bit of carbonation.

S: Very light on the chocolate, which doesn't really make sense for a chocolate stout. Much more coffee.

T: Similar to the nose, with a watery taste and finish.

M: Very light body, pretty carbonated as well. Not what I was hoping for.

D: Easy drinking stout, I suppose.

07-24-2009 02:02:38 | More by womencantsail
biggred1

Indiana

3.83/5  rDev +10.1%

Deep dark brown with a creamy tan head that leaves some decent fine lace behind. Roasty java and spice aroma with semisweet chocolate in the nose. The flavor is where the chocolate comes to life, semisweet with a charred coffee bitterness balanced by rich malts and mild spicy hops in the finish. Medium bodied and slightly chalky with a very understated carbonation. A nice stout.

07-08-2009 23:05:22 | More by biggred1
czfreeman

3.55/5  rDev +2%

My first offering from Bison, I really like the concept of their brews, in the culinary concept.
Initial impression of the apperance is a deep brown/black tone, lightly tan head. Foam slowly settles,leaving a rather carbonated stout/
Smell is suprisingly light on chocolate and heavy on coffee. Roasted espresso, java coffee, a bit watery on the finish, roasted malts, caramelized sugar.
Flavor is again coffee. I was hoping for a chocolaty-coffeeish brew, but a coffeestout with a touch of cocoa is what I have here. Roasted caramelized malt sugar, coffee beans, a touch of smokiness, cocoa but in a more bitter sense does become more apparent.
When their are brews like Southern Tier Choklat and Mokah on the market, this brew can't really hold it's own as a chocolate-stout any more.
Although the chocolate didn't come through in this brew as I had hoped, it is a versitile beer. I think this paired with nicely seared scallops would pair immensely well, as the medium body of the beer would not overwhelm the seafood, and ther malty flavor of caramelized sugar would reflectnicely off of each other. This beer doesn't quite deliver what was expected, but food pairings woulkd benefit nicely

06-30-2009 20:16:59 | More by czfreeman
LordAdmNelson

3.43/5  rDev -1.4%

A- Thick, opaque black. Hard pour generates small tan head. Decent lacing/retention.

S- Heavy on coffee and molasses. Slight dark chocolate in the background.

T- Big on the coffee. Nice, though. Some dark chocolate finish. A little woodiness in there too. It's pretty one-dimensional, and not very chocolatey.

M- Thin for a big stout. Feels more like an ale.

D- Not bad, but not great, just because it's not amazing.

06-29-2009 05:51:05 | More by LordAdmNelson
nms1987

2.8/5  rDev -19.5%

Out of a bottle that just arrived in a store a week prior, so it better be fresh. Pairing it with some ice cream.. which I love to do with stouts: )

Black with a tan/light brown/latte colored head showing some good foam-age.

Nice smell. Pleasant and inviting.
It has that gentle creamy, faintly chocolate nose you expect to see out of a "regular" stout. The chocolate coming through on the nose seems authentic.. if I didn't know this beer contained extra cocoa I wouldn't be able to pick it out of a lineup with some of my favorite oatmeal stouts.

Taste isn't coming through. You can definitely tell it was real cocoa power and not chocolate syrup added, which is one of the GOOD things about the taste. But other than that I'm not seeing why I want to get this again. A little watery for a 6+ ABV stout. Not a whole lot of the nice, gentle roasty character and if a stout doesn't bring me that I am at least looking for rich smoothness and this weird, almost sour note in the back of this stuff kind of throws that off.
It isn't a bad beer, it is just very "meh".

As I continue through my glass I keep hoping to discover something about this stuff to change my mind.. and that often happens as I make my way through a glass, I find something to like about a beer but it just isn't happening this time.

Very drinkable but not in a good way. It is quaffable because it is fairly watery. Hides its ABV well I guess if you're looking for a plus.

06-20-2009 06:38:53 | More by nms1987
Magpie14

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

A: poured very light and boasted only deep browns, not quite black. Not a huge pour and looks more of a porter in the glass. Head fizzed away quickly and left whipped mocha colored blobs around the glass. Initially awash with bubbles and then still as can be

S: chock full of dark roasted sweet smells: coffee, cocoa, and darkened malts 'n' grains. with a earthy woody whiff or two

T: a moderate amount of roasted flavors paired with medium roasted coffee beans and finely ground cocoa powder. The coffee notes have a nice mocha character and the greatest presence in the mix. This brew has a light edge overall and is complimented by a few flaky hops that have a citrus wooded appeal. This beer checks out well with all the flavors

M: medium body and slick down the hatch. Not problems drinking this one

D: on the lighter side for a stout but still deserves a pat on the back. Nice and tasty with good flavors. I like'em a little bit chewier but if the flavors match...I can't complain

04-29-2009 19:39:16 | More by Magpie14
twiggamortis420

3.23/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a light black color with a tinge of ruby highlights. Has an average sized tan head that fades to a decent collar and some lacing.

Has a mocha, milk chocolate and powdered baking cocoa nose. A bit of cardboardy oxidation is noticeable, unlike the hops or any hint of fruity esters.

Watery, roasty cocoa flavor. A bit of coffee and slight hop bite lend a mildly bitter finish. Plenty drinkable, but ultimately a very forgettable fish swimming in an ocean of stouts.

03-31-2009 17:37:15 | More by twiggamortis420