Peter Brown Tribute Ale - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Peter Brown Tribute AlePeter Brown Tribute Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

American Brown Ale |  6.30% ABV

Peter Brown Tribute Ale is malty American Brown Ale, brewed with molasses, brown sugar, and hopped with Cascade and Centennial. It's just the way Pete would have wanted it.

2009 California State Fair - GOLD
2009 North American Brewers Association – GOLD
2006 Great American Beer Festival® Brown Porter – BRONZE
2004 Great American Beer Festival® Brown Porter – GOLD

(Beer added by: xlperro on 09-06-2003)

rjgbeeradvo, Mar 11, 2012

Therisse, Feb 26, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -40.4%

A - Clear burnt amber color with short, tight, off-white head

S - Very mild malt and caramel, hint of bitter

T - Hop flavor up front with malt and caramel through the finish

M - Thin but nice coating, slight tingle on tongue

O - Was not expecting the hop flavor... pass

biglite351, Jun 07, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -40.4%

Appearance is like any other quality brown ale - deep brown, thick light brown head. Almost opaque.

Nose is more faint than anticipated. Some clean fresh bready aromas, nuts, and slight roastiness.

On palate this is a shocker. Huge sour yeasty taste, then comes sugary brown sugar with very light molasses & roasted malt. Part of this reminded me of the way the usual Bear Republics are hopped and maybe I'm getting some sort of atypical brown ale. But then as I had several sips I just couldn't tolerate it any further and decided it must be a bad bottle. Nope. After reading the other reviews, apparently that sour yeasty taste is the norm. Normally I'm willing to relax because there are variations on interpreting a style but this stuff is not potable, no matter what the style classification.

Two thumbs down.

yemenmocha, Apr 09, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -35.8%

A fountain of foam immediately rose from the bottle as soon as I opened this beer. A glass filled with foam upon pouring only two ounces in to a glass. Foam continued to rise out of the bottle even after the fluid level cleared the neck of the bottle. After about six mini-pours, I had a full glass of beer. The body is a rich, brown color with quite a few tiny particles held in suspension. Naturally, there was a huge layer of brown head on top of the beer.

The nose is a straight-forward, run-of-the-mill brown ale. Sweet malts with a light nuttiness abound. Hop smells are notably strong for the style.

A brief, sweet rush hits the palate and is immediately squelched by a sharp, bitter yeast flavor. The sharpness is tolerable but it isn't the stuff brown ales are made from. After the yeast flavors drop, the rich flavors of a brown ale shine through for a brief glimpse. A strong nuttiness, toffee sweetness and mild hops show what could've been. Maybe this is a unique take on the style or just a bad bottle? If this was presented as a porter, the judging would've been more favorable but still not good.

The mouthfeel is thin and a bit soapy but it does offer good carbonation.

Drinkability is sub-par because of the sharp, acidic flavors. I hope this was just a bad bottle. This brew was certainly not up to Bear Republic standards.

Budlum, Jul 06, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -35.8%

Pours with a rather aggressive tan head with large bubbles and some nice structure.
Brown shoe polish colored beer with very good clarity and no visible carbonation. The head does fall to a thin film of foam that remains. No lacing to speak of.

Aroma is light, slightly sweet and of grain.. Not very roasted or caramel like...

Hmmm, a bit disappointed with the flavor here. Quite watery. The phrase "one dimensional" comes to mind. Light roasted malt flavor, some sweetness. A bit dry towards the end. As I continue to work my way through the bottle I am struck by the one dimensional nature of the flavor. I am searching for more elements to describe and can't find any. Perhaps a tiny hint of cocoa, but I am clearly searching.

Mouth feel is very light. Too light. Almost watery. Some graininess in the mouth feel.

As for drinkability, I will say there is not that much. Not offensive, but also not inviting. I will not willingly be back to try this one again.

Reagan1984, Jun 07, 2009

spamages, Dec 30, 2011

marct, Feb 07, 2013

joesc230, Mar 22, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this at a local restaurant, not one I would usually pick up but gave it a try. Came out in pint glass, not sure if this came from bottle or tap.

The appearance was outstanding, dark with beautiful head. But it basically had no taste. Finished about 1/4 of it and that was it.

Can't recommend this one.

jrnyc, Nov 03, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

Purchased at International Beer Shop Perth, no best before date, imported by Pheonix beers.

Pours a very dark, almost black, brown. Small head that hands around the edges. American hops and some light toasty/roasty notes on the nose. A little bit of an oxidised dark malt aroma.

Unfortunately the taste is part american brown, part oxidised/sweet tasting dark malts. Also quite watery and a leaves a bit of a coca cola twang on in the mouth. Drinkable.

foles, Apr 11, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

After my last two Bear Republic's I was hoping for another something special. Sadly let down here. Flavors lean on the sweet side but nothing's really there to me. Mouthfeel just feels thinner than I'd hope. Nutty flavors seem to be the most prevalent. Other than that the sweetness almost seems nondescript. The finish is what really killed this beer for me. Kind of a sour acid yeast flavor. Reminded me of some Alesmith beers I had a year ago. I don't know if this is the result of me buying an older beer (where's the dating?) or the yeast strain just gone funky for this batch. Maybe I'll try again, hopefully I can sample this on tap somewhere.

granger10, Sep 17, 2006

Bloodbuzz99, Sep 16, 2014
2.86/5  rDev -25.9%

6.3% ABV confirmed. Acquired at a local SoCal beer store. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glasss bottle with branded pressure cap served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Expectations are above average; this is a surprisingly tough style to pull off but Bear Republic makes some great beers.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger khaki colour head of nice cream and thickness, and pretty good (4+ minute) retention. Soft smooth consistency. Body colour is a rather dark amber. Semitransparent and semitranslucent. Generally appealing for a brown; there are no overt flas here. Nothing unique or special. Looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Huh. Not what I expected, though not in a bad way. Some sort of weird berry. Are we certain Lost Coast didn't brew this? More nuts come through as it warms. Hazelnut, chestnut. Dark malts. Little hop character. No yeast or alcohol comes through. It's not a great aroma, but at least it's got nutty notes - which is what I look for in a good brown. An above average strength aroma.

T: Decent nutty notes. Amber malts. Light toasted character. Light floral hopping. This is pretty simple stuff. No yeast or alcohol comes through. It's not bad, but it's just plain pedestrian. There's little here that interests. Decent flavour. Balanced, if bland. Built alright. Why brew this? A bit too sweet and sugary - especially for a brown. I get some brown sugar.

Mf: Smooth and wet, just as it should be. Adequate carbonation. Decent thickness. It's a bit syrupy; that molasses might have been a bad call. Decent body. Complements the flavour in a general sense.

Dr: Drinkable but forgettable. I definitely wouldn't pick this one up again. Hides its above average ABV okay. Pretty mediocre stuff considering the pedigree of the brewery. I'll finish this bottle, but I wouldn't recommend it to friends. Mundane.

C

kojevergas, Mar 19, 2013
2.9/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12/05/04- Purchased at Belltramo's Wine and Spirts in Menlo Park, CA

Appearance- Pours a brownish-amber color with a 3/4 inch head, and nice lacing.

Smell- High nutty and chocolate scents.

Taste- This is the strangest brown ale I have ever tasted. It tastes like a brown ale and an ESB combined. I'm not really a fan of ESB's, thus the low score from me. Very bitter and hard for me to swallow. The bitterness of ESB's hit my gag reflex. Kinda on the watery side too. But, my girlfriend really enjoyed it, and her favorites are brown ales, stouts and porters. So, I guess it's not as bad as I rate it.

Mouthfeel- A bit overcarbonated to me and like I said, hit's my gag reflex.

Drinkability- For me, not at all. If it were up to my girlfriend this beer would get a 4+. So, I guess brown ales lovers should give it a go. It is bitter though.

GClarkage, Dec 06, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours a deep brown color. No real head to speak of. Somewhat bready aroma other then that not much there. Malty flavor-slight hop bitterness. Very one dimensional. Nothing really stands out. What flavor is there is somewhat soapy. Ok body. A very ho hum beer. Im sorry to say not much of a tribute. Im suprised since everything I have had from Bear has kicked ass.

lackenhauser, Apr 11, 2005

NonicPanic, Dec 05, 2013

leedorham, Aug 21, 2013

Aclmin, Sep 15, 2013

Jack_Tripper86, Apr 07, 2014
Peter Brown Tribute Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.