XP Pale Ale - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

XP Pale AleXP Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

XP is short for Exception Pale Ale. This light golden pale ale balances the malt and hops for a smooth, drinkable beer that compliments any meal.

2009 California State Fair – SILVER
2008 Colorado State Fair - GOLD
2006 California State Fair – 1st
2003 Real Ale Fest (Chicago) – BRONZE

(Beer added by: xlperro on 10-05-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of XP Pale Ale Alström Bros
damjadi

Oregon

2.15/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this with some other beers to offset my hop-cravings here in Germany.

Straw colored and clear.

Smelled ever so lightly of pine.

A light citrus hop up front, quickly finishing into nothingness. Kind of like squeezing a lime into Corona (but with a hop).

This is the lawnmower beers of pale ales. Not distinctive in anyway. You could drink a number of them in a night, but none of them would be memorable...

03-14-2008 19:00:19 | More by damjadi
JLapadura

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

07-23-2013 01:14:26 | More by JLapadura
clvand0

Kentucky

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

Had this from a 22oz bottle. Pours a light amber color with a thin head that dies off quickly. The aroma is a little grassy, but all hops. Not much else - just hops. The flavor was very hoppy as well with some light malts as well. The finish is dry and bitter, but leaves me wishing that there was something more to this one. I was unimpressed overall.

10-03-2003 19:03:23 | More by clvand0
JDV

2.6/5  rDev -32.5%

Bomber. Light copperish color beer with lasting white head. Smell is sweet hop mix. Sort of soapish. Taste is hoppy with just an extremely mild finishing sweetness. Kind of dry, a bit bland, acidic and boring. Very carbonated. Not a good pale, and a disappointment as their other beers have been great. HIGHLY overrated. Sierra Nevada is better, Red Seal is better, Lefthand Jackman's pale, Kona's pale, and on and on.

02-22-2008 05:40:31 | More by JDV
BattleRoadBrewer

2.6/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Gusher. 22 oz amber bottle erupted when I uncapped it, sending coarse tan foam all over my countertop.

Aroma at the bottle was yeasty and astringent.

Poured gently into a standard pint, exhibiting hazy copper color, coarse fizz leaving a rocky head with moderate lace, floaty bits.

Flavor is grassy, stale, somewhat citrusy, not notably hoppy, balanced malt and bitterness.

Mouthfeel is astringent and a bit thin, neutral aftertaste.

Drinkability is so-so. Cold from the fridge it was almost a sink pour, but as it warms, the exerience mellows, becomes more drinkable. As I've been typing, bumped it from 2.5 to 3 on drinkability. This beer tastes essentially like a clone of my first homebrewed batch--that wasn't a bad beer, but I expect better from a commercial brewery. This is yeasty, grassy, overcarbonated, has floaty bits, is astringent. Really shocked that this mediocre example comes from the same brewers who make Hop Rod Rye--one of the best beers on the planet. Maybe it's just a bad bottle?

02-21-2007 23:10:25 | More by BattleRoadBrewer
RickS95

Indiana

2.61/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

22 ounce bomber

Very orange, a bit darkish for a pale ale, though today, who knows? Just seemed a bit dark and orangey to me. It's very clear. Not Budweisery clear, but orangey clear. The head starts off fairly thin and has only moderate retention. Each swirl creates a white top and slight lacing.

Smells like a pale lager. It's got a bit of citrus, but also some pilsner smelling malts. Ever so faint pine smell.

Not what I was expecting or even like. Very pilsnerlike, Earthy taste. I'd not guess this to be an ale if the label didn't say so. I don't get any of the citrus from the nose, just some pilser malt flavors.

Very watery, feels like a macro. I'd not guess this to be a craft beer. Light bodied, no alcohol presence, and the hops leave a lot to be desired.

Not impressed. It was fairly cheap at the beer store and I can see why. Not what you think of as an APA from the left coast. Skip this one, or just buy a Bud and keep the change.

05-23-2013 02:43:56 | More by RickS95
ryrust5301

Louisiana

2.68/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured from a 750 bottle with XP Pale ale logo. Split with my brother and poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a cloudy copper, with an enormous puffy white head. Head grew to an impressive 3 fingers. Layers of sticky white lacing hang all the way down the sides after the head receded. A thin layer of puffy whiteness lingers on top of the beer.

Smell - Piney hops, and a malt creaminess. Some citrus scents in there as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel - When cold there was a touch more of piney hops, with a smooth malt backbone. Let it warm a little more and the hops became more and more faint. Finally the hops faded away and it became relly smooth and malty with a caramel finish. Some citrus notes can be found throughout.

Drinkability - Disapoining as far as a pale ale goes. I found it rather bland. Way to malty, and no crisp hopiness after it warmed. Pretty average with not much going on.

03-12-2008 02:15:14 | More by ryrust5301
DogFood11

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

This is an exceptionally inviting Pale Ale. From the simple and effective bottle graphics that stand out in a crowd of beers, to the huge chunky head that retains forever. At this point my expectations are very high.

Smell quickly brought me back down to earth as it is very mellow and sweet malted, some faint cracker and more syrupy malt.

Really hard to describe this other than "mellow". Hops are trying to get out but just seem week. The carbonation is fizzy and foams up on the palate. A toasted presence that helps the cause. Watered clean finish.

Notes: ehhhh...certainly not my favorite offering from such an outstanding brewery. Think English Pale.

11-08-2005 04:43:49 | More by DogFood11
crowsoup

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

I'm finding it hard to write this. First of all, Bear Republic is a fantastic brewery. I even love Healdsburg, which makes this even harder. Maybe I got a skunked bottle, but this has got to be the most uninspired Pale Ale I've had in a long, long time.

It pours beautifully at least. Great color and a nice head, but that just got my hopes up...I hate high hopes. Got some citrus, some malt and maybe some slight floral notes, but that's questionable. Maybe my sniffer is busted, I dunno.

Not a lot going on taste-wise here, grainy, light bodied, bitter finish. The end tastes a little too close to dish-soap for comfort, makes me wonder if someone put a dirty glass back in the cabinet. I think I'll try this again on tap, next time I'm in Healdsburg. Sadly this bomber has scared me off of another taste.

08-12-2012 00:46:31 | More by crowsoup
MikeBrandman

Connecticut

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

A - Pours from a 22oz bomber into a Sensory Glass. One of the purest amber bodies I've ever seen. Slight reddishness. White head with smooth creamy bubbles and pretty good lacing. Very translucent with a surprising amount of visible carbonation. No sediment or haze.

S - Mostly malty. Slight piney hops but mostly masked by the malt sweetness. No alcohol smell.

T - Malts take over on this one. The hops are there throughout the entire experience but only really come out in the ending. Piney, not citrusy hops. No alcohol taste, thankfully. Overall, this flavor is a little lacking.

MF - A little on the sticky side. Medium body.

D - Overall, this isn't a terribly drinkable beer. The sticky feel and the overly sweet taste really turns me off of this one. Would have preferred a 12 ounce.

06-26-2010 00:53:18 | More by MikeBrandman
Tupperwolf

Washington

2.95/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a clear amber capped with a nice Bear Republic head - the brewery is so consistent in their head that it deserves its own name.

Some floral hops hit the nose first, followed by slightly honeyish and metallic malts.

A bit metallic in the mouth - slight honey, slight grassy hops - I'm a bit let down. Really nothing to shout about.

A little flat in the mouth, despite the fine looking head.

Fortunately, despite my slight dissappointment in this beer, it's quite drinkable. Given the choice, I'd have an Alesmith XPA or Stone PA.

04-01-2006 05:58:40 | More by Tupperwolf
CBlack85

South Carolina

2.98/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a New Belgium globe glass

The beer pours a light copper color with golden highlights. An aggressive pour yields a smallish white head that recedes quickly leaving behind a small amount of lacing.

The aroma is comprised largely of sweet caramel, and to a lesser degree citrus hops. Not quite what I expected from a west coast pale ale.

The flavor follows closely with the aroma, a bit too sweet with some bready notes. The hop profile is pleasant; mostly citrisy with some piney notes as well. While it is slightly less than I am used to in most APA's, it is not outside of style guidelines.

The body is a bit full for the style, combine that with the sweetness of the flavor, the beer becomes a bit hard to drink. While it is good, it is not suited to consuming multiple pints in one sitting.

Overall, XP is good, but with so many superior examples of the style I cannot see myself purchasing it on a regular basis...

05-11-2013 00:48:17 | More by CBlack85
Reagan1984

2.98/5  rDev -22.6%

This beer had an overly aggressive foamy head when poured from the 22 oz bomber. There was also a huge amount of visible carbonation. Clear and a very light copper color or deep gold.

Aroma was citrus and of grain.

I was excited to taste this as Hop Rod is one of my favorites. This one didn't live up to expectations. I thought the taste was very astringent and chalky. There was some roasted malt flavor and a slight spiciness provided by the hops. While I wanted to love this beer, I can't say that I did.

Mouth feel was fairly light but ruined by over carbonation.

I'm not sure how drinkable I can say it was as I didn't really enjoy drinking it.

In the future I will try again out of respect to Bear, but I had a long list of other APA's I'll enjoy before this one again.

07-16-2008 14:30:00 | More by Reagan1984

12-17-2011 19:32:06 | More by tclapper
DiscGolfRobot

02-15-2012 13:30:48 | More by DiscGolfRobot
Murchmac

Pours a dark orange even copper color with some gold highlights.

Smells more of sweet malts than anything, kinda thin metallic macro smell.

Tastes of dry pale malts at first, some sweetness from the hops, just average.

Kinda metallic and weak for me. I havent had this beer in a while, I'd rather watch reform school girls on Mojo HD.

11-02-2008 03:27:23 | More by Murchmac

MrDave

07-23-2013 18:26:05 | More by MrDave
westcoastbeerlvr

01-11-2013 00:27:45 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
XP Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.