Apex - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

ApexApex

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2005

Apex: The highest point, the culmination or climax. In racing, the apex of the turn is approached differently as conditions dictate, but always with a forward looking mindset. This beer is the culmination of years of brewing and drinking hop forward IPAs. We reserve the right to move forward to the next Apex.

2009 California State Fair - SILVER
2009 The Bistro Double IPA Fest – BRONZE & PEOPLE’S CHOICE
2009 Night of the Living Ales Cask Festival – 3rd PLACE & PEOPLE’S CHOICE
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Apex Alström Bros

Had this beer first in a bomber and loved it! Then found it on tap at Canal Street, Reading, PA and really fell in love with it! Underrated IPA! Beautiful golden color. Heavy ripe citrus hops greet you instantly with lingering grapefruit, honey and lemon on the palate. Mildly piney with a good malt structure but by no means bready. Nice thick head with sticky lacing. The carbonation is on point! Great mouthfeel! The high ABV is well concealed within its balanced flavors! Great job Bear Republic on producing a world class IPA! I'm trying to find something wrong with this beer but can't! I'm on my 3rd glass which I typically don't do so that says it all! Cheers!!!

One outstanding IPA

A stunning IPA. With so many intricately hopped doubles out there -- many at quite high prices -- this stands out. From my point of view it is simply perfect. From the color to the initial nose to all stages of the sip and swallow it is exactly what I want in this type of beer. Knee Deep's Simtra, for example, in my opinion is a wonderful beer that does not go A to Z in the way this does. Apex has not a moment where I think it could be better or different. For DIPAs I'll still take Hop Stoopid over ANYTHING for value ($3.99 at TJs!!), but this is my new favorite beer (and first, lame, review!).

In a word- WOW!!!

Had it on tap in April at Bear Republic while visiting the area. Came in a sampler set. Bear Republic makes great beers, so I was expecting to like everything. And so everything went as expected, until I got to the Apex, and then... *INSTANT BLISS*

My favorite kind of beer is the IPA. I've had many, Double Jack, Pliny, Hop-15, Hop Stoopid, Hopsickle, Hoptologist, Simtra, Ruination, RuinTen, EnjoyBy, Dorado, To 'Ol Dangerously Stupid, you name it (except Heady Topper and Alpine). The Apex IPA effortlessly TRUMPS them all. If Pliny and Hopsickly is a 10/10, this is no doubt a 15/10.

The perfect combination of citrus and hop flavor.

I don't know what else to say. This is my favorite beer of all time, and I've only had it one night in my whole life.

Needless to say, I'll be planning my next trip to Sonoma around the availability of Apex.

4.94/5  rDev +16.5%

on tap at Fatheads, southside, pittsburgh. Served in a standard pint glass, color of honey with good carbonation and glass lacing.
Amzing smell of pine, earth, pear, pineapple. Hops, hops and more hops. conjurs images of dry creek valley and lake sonoma.
the taste blows me away. Wow. excellent hops through and through, noticable but with a complexity and sublety and balanced. So smooth- a delicious bitterness that fills my mouth and makes me sip and sip again. And again. Excellent beer that I will drink hands down anyplace that I find it, no matter what else the taps may offer. this a great beer from a geat microbrewery. Best Bear republic beer I have had to date, including quaffs at the source in Healdsburg, CA. kudos to Fatheads for supporting and tapping so many of their beers

4.92/5  rDev +16%

4.92/5  rDev +16%

On-tap 8/28/07 at British Beer Company in Walpole, MA, served in an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a murky orange-brown color, with a large foamy off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very hoppy with a good background of citrus and caramelized malt.

T: The taste is very well-balanced with your typical West Coast IPA flavors of hops citrus and caramel. The hops presence is very strong and ends up winning out. The malt character is hearty but not too sweet. The after-taste is hoppy with a touch of sweetness.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not very filling, nice kick, excellent representation of style and perfect example of a West Coast hop bomb, this is a perfect beer to stick with and drink a lot of, I enjoyed it a great deal. I'm hopes Bear Republic starts bottling this one.

Apex from Bear Republic Brewing Co.