1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Racer 5 India Pale Ale - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD
2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show
2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-27-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer 5 India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,579 | Reviews: 2,157 | Show All Ratings:
WVbeergeek

Appearance: Orange copper glowing heavenly tone with a massive vanilla cream colored head so massive and full of hops even from a distance wonderful evenly dispersed sketched patterns of lacing very appealing to the eye. Aroma: Extremely pungent but so very appetising almost mesmorizing so I warn thee don't spend to much time sniffing this awesome brew it's so hard to back away the old snout and quit wafting this baby toward my olfactories that are working overtime in order to host this well balanced hop monster. So many enticing and prosperous aromas flying around besides the hops which are breathtaking by the way, but a sweet engulfing aroma is entwined within the massive amount of hops creating the recipe for a succesful big IPA. Taste: Wow, should we even start this part of the beer, might as well it's fucking awesome. I now know why this beer has the surrounding hype that exists when mention it's name the crashing wave of foam carrying bready pine cone infused hops and caramelly sweet malt within the viscous juicly hopped body it's beer nirvana. These beers have truly surpassed everything else certain brewer's have taken it to the next level this beer is no where near the gimmick that some beers attempt to be, but it does so well in soothing my hopheadedness that I can't help but thank anybody that had to do with getting it into my reach. Mouhfeel: The resilent foaming head holds such a fluffy creaminess with each sip followed by a flowing wave of the combonaiton of the body of this beer bringing texture and sensations along the palate that I didn't know could be obtained. Drinkability: It's redamndiculous how friggin' amazing this beer is and how bad I want to order a case from somewhere I would be dangerous with a case of this stuff b/c once this bottle got to the halfway mark I was thinking where can I get more, easily consumed challenging but so enjoyable and drinkable in general.

Since arriving in the Burgh and becoming accessible two blocks down the road this has been by go to hoppy ale, amazing in all regards.

10-01-2003 22:04:05 | More by WVbeergeek
bboven

This is the best IPA I've ever had in every respect.

Slightly cloudy honey color with a bit of particulate floating about. The head is a finger thick even now; it lasts and leaves thick sticky lacing.

Great hop citrusy hop aroma with a tiny bit of sweetness from the malt.

Almost indescribable taste. The malt carries the hop flavor with a great smoothness. The hops are sweet all the way to the end where there's a tiny, tiny bitter note at the end. Beautiful.

Smooth mouthfeel, that's the best way to say it. Such low carbonation that you'd think it was from a cask. That's a good thing. Actually, it's a wonderful thing.

I bought one bottle of this on my honeymoon in August, so it may have been even better when the hops were fresher. I will buy and trade for this beer every chance I get.

10-18-2007 02:55:05 | More by bboven
StrangeBrewer76

Pours perfect straw to orange color, a little hazy with textbook head and lacing. Lacing could be reproduced and sold as art for doilies. This could not look better.

Smells of pine and spicy hop that would meet your imaginations expectations of a California IPA.

Taste is amazing. I may be a little biased for having had this before but as a beer geek or BA I tend to gravitate toward the best stuff, which this brew clearly is, hands down. Whatever malt is used in this beer compliments the bitterness profile of the hops so perfectly that the taste transition is seamless.

M- Hop resins top to bottom make this one of the easiest things to drink.

Drinkability is off the charts. This is a 6. When you raise this glass to your lips you take a sip but the sip is them followed by a larger sip, then by a gulp. It's really that good.

I would consider this a go-to beer which I would always have on hand if I didn't just run out of it.

Truly exceptional. Get some!

03-22-2009 22:20:05 | More by StrangeBrewer76
velosuds

Oregon

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. No freshness date. Single purchased at local health food store for $1.69.

A-Pours a deep golden, almost orange color with a one finger, off-white head with average retention and modest lacing. Beautiful in appearance. A gorgeous beer.

S-Very pronounced juicy citrus hops. Grapefruit is most prominent. I love the smell of this beer.

T-Very, very balanced, IMO. Hops are aggressive without being overpowering. Nice malt backbone in finish is pleasantly sweet. Atypical for a West Coast IPA. Very distinctive and a real treat. This beer may cause me to change my favorite style. No bitter after taste and alcohol taste is absent, even at 7% ABV. Extremely well crafted.

M-Very smooth and extremely well balanced, yet complex.

D-A great IPA. May be my favorite beer. Dangerously smooth given ABV. I'm satisfied sipping this beer, but if I am especially thirsty on a hot summer day, I can readily down this in big swallows.

This is my go-to IPA. I can buy this for $1.69 a 12oz single year round. When in Northern California for vacation earlier this month, I bought a half-case of 12oz bottles for $15.99. An exceptional value! Especially compared to Stone and Russian River offerings. I am stingy when giving praise, but this beer garners top scores across the board for me. I like variety, but if this was the only beer I was permitted to drink, I would not be an unhappy camper.

07-26-2009 01:34:06 | More by velosuds
MCfunkyJ

This was the best beer I could choose from the store I got it at.

I have had this about a year ago but forgot how tasty this brew truly is. Not a bad pickup for $9.99 + tax.

I would rather drink Hop Rod Rye but this was the only option available at the time.

05-03-2010 08:10:17 | More by MCfunkyJ
xmorgan

This is an excellent example of West Coast IPA!

The intense hop aroma is piney, floral and citrusy! It just lingers in your nose.

The grapefruit, pine, hop taste is well blended with the malt.
it really holds the flavor and as the beer gets warmer these become more pronounced. It is a beer that often gets served TOO cold.

But it's ok, just give it a little time to warm up and watch as the flavors emerge.

08-20-2010 16:50:30 | More by xmorgan
JMOvechkin

Maryland

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

A: Beautiful, cloudy, rich, amber color throughout with a thick inviting head. I felt like it was going to speak to me.

S: It smells like my birthday. My birthday smells like dank citrusy hops with a pinch of flowery esters, it gives me goosebumps.

T: This beer is complex AND simple. There are more flavors then I can pick out but the citrusy and slightly herbal hops take me to my happy place. Every sip leaves me wanting more. The robust flavor is balanced and smooth.

M: Heavy and strong. This is what an IPA is supposed to feel like.

D: Leaves you craving more. Just as you start to grasp everything about the flavor its time to swallow. I have had this beer many times, I love it, it loves me and I will definitely drink it again and again.

11-10-2010 16:30:06 | More by JMOvechkin
jtd1969

Simply the best IPA on the planet. I have had so many, but yet, this one is still my favorite. The clean coudy harvest tone look, awesome. The head is usually thin in length but dense thickness.(if that makes any sense) Tons of citrus tones in smell. Awesome hop smell with floral with light fruit, slight pine. Fruity/floral big hop upfront with a clean finish. So easy to toss them back as the hops never overbear you. So tasty... If you enjoy IPAs, try one ASAP

Serving type: growler

02-20-2011 01:13:26 | More by jtd1969
samie85

A-An aggressive pour yields a very clear light orange color with a finger and a half of thick white head.

S-Smells of dank pine and huge pineapple notes with some mango and light caramel notes.

T-Big pineapple and caramel on the front with some bitter pine and grapefruit on the finish.

M-Extremely smooth feel with a medium body and light carbonation.

D-This is an incredibly balanced, yet flavorful IPA. I've had this one before, but I'm not sure why I haven't revisited it since. I'll be sure to in the future.

06-25-2011 20:46:39 | More by samie85
ShaneO

This is definitely an underrated beer! I rarely give all 5's but this deserves it! It is a very well balanced IPA that has a good malt backbone to back it up. It does have a big hop forward taste that lingers a few minutes after the gulps. Best part is when I'm done I can still taste this beast in my burps :) OUTSTANDING BREW!

07-25-2012 03:44:11 | More by ShaneO
SnowFlowMfg

I give this beer a 5 based on it's representation of what I feel an IPA should be. I typically do not prefer IPAs and I actually find this one very enjoyable.

All I have to say is that it looks tantalizing and retains an amazing, creamy head to the end. Nice medium carbonation can be seen through the clear amber. The smell is sweet with strong tropical fruit hop smell. The taste is a spot-on balance of sweet maltiness and piney/tropical hop bitterness that sits just right, not too bitter and minimal bitter finish. It feels thick and chewy but not overbearing. It is truly an easy, smooth drinker with a slight resinous and oily feel to chew on. I gotta say I really like this one and will be the only IPA other than Pliny that I would actually purchase.

10-04-2012 23:09:53 | More by SnowFlowMfg
Cattlehound

One of my favorite IPA's from the west coast! A great balance of malts and hops hide the booziness in this beer, which is why my wife calls them "eraser 5's" 3-5 pints and see you later! Wow what a drinkable beer, beautiful dark amber color and great flavor!

04-02-2013 23:32:14 | More by Cattlehound
CodyOebel

Perfect 5 for Racer 5.

Pours an orange amber as an IPA should. 5/5

Smells like hops, some sweet grassy tones, and I fingered the beer, lace is minimum. 5/5 for IPA smell. Not over hopped. Just PERFECT !!!

mouthfull is fizzy, carbonated, full breadth, and solid yet lightweight. It's a great beer 5/5

Taste is absolutely balanced. I've drank overly hopped IPA's, and this one is not overly hopped. It's strong hop presence is there. Much like cascade hops used strongly in the near end of the boiling process. The taste is piney, a light malt, bitter-sweet, and after taste is bitter hops, slightly acidic in a good way, leaving the lips slippery with a nice malt surface. When a little more warm I get a black pepper after taste. It has some nice complexity for an IPA 5/5

Overall I bought this beer at Trader Joe's a pint for 3.99$ One glass in and I'm buzzing good yet not over whelmed, or wanting to take a dive on the couch for a nap. The price and quality of this beer make it another game winner. I have tasted much more expensive IPA's and this matches or defeats them. I am not at all an IPA lover, but the occassional IPA drinker, and WOW I am impressed. I would suggest and buy this beer for friends and family who understand a little about beers, and could appreciate the price point, quality, and solid IPA Bear Republic produces with this liquid pleasure.

Thank you for reading my review.
Relax, have a home brew, and prosit !

05-29-2013 19:44:09 | More by CodyOebel
Arw56

Georgia

This is a world class beer, it is absolutely the best beer ever brewed. It has the perfect balance of hops and bitterness. It is smooth and smells amazing. Color is an amber golden. Smell has definite hop presence and just a bit of citrus. Pour it a glass and let it breath for a few before tasting perfection.

09-14-2013 00:54:01 | More by Arw56
Mike_Moe

Appearance: Dark golden color light brown head.
Aroma: Very good spicy smell. Fruity banana hops aroma coming through.
Flavor: Spicy banana flavor, ending slight sweet and hoppy. This is a full bodied smooth beer.
Overall: This is a very flavorful smooth IPA. Has a very good spicy banana flavor, with quite a hoppy finish. Bold, smooth, delish. You can't stop drinking them.

01-02-2014 06:33:35 | More by Mike_Moe
chrisgalvin

4.99/5  rDev +18.8%

Just such a great beer. So big and bold and fits the area in which it is brewed. Big hop notes center around a balanced malt character with a nice finish. Two of these and you're set. Such a nice change when you are touring around the area drinking other AIPAs too. Not to say the other are crap, this is just a different and well-rounded beer.

04-01-2013 04:56:02 | More by chrisgalvin
Naerhu

Japan

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance: Orange-gold body with amazing white lacing.
Aroma: Orange, pepper and tangerine aroma.
Taste: Orange rinds, light malt and everlasting polite bitterness. The light malt stands aside to allow the hops to shine, however the bitterness does not overwhelm.
Mouthfeel: Great balance, the nice acidity makes this beer quite refreshing.
Drinkability: This is a beer from heaven, give me more and more every day. The beer is very easy drinking (even my Mom who thinks beer is ‘horrid’ liked this).

02-09-2005 04:17:33 | More by Naerhu
miramanmike

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

This is my favorite beer,so far. The hoppy sweet smell is intoxicating, and 7.00 ABV dosen't hurt. I really can't say anything bad about this beer. I have been drinking every weekend rof the last three weeks. The number spaek louder than I do....A great beer!

12-27-2008 05:50:42 | More by miramanmike
timers

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

This beer is the peak of the "California IPA" style of brewing and is without a doubt a best in genre brew. Like other beers in the class, it pushes the hops and alcohol content to a very high level, however this beer restrains enough to still preserve the delicious taste left from the wort. Although it doesn't punch you with alpha acids it does pique your tongue with more than a little enthusiasm. For West Coast emigres, it's a reminder of everything good about beers in the Golden State and the influence of all the ingredients.

Now available in some East Coast locations, hopefully more soon!

05-15-2011 23:07:11 | More by timers
flydudehsv

4.94/5  rDev +17.6%

Real nice IPA. Not the hoppiest, but it has some zip. Nice sweet malt in the background but really smooth for the 7% ABV. Initial aroma is pine forest. Orange amber color with a moderate off white head. Flavor starts fruity (apricot, orange) turning light grapefruit bitter and finishing kinda dry and orange rind bitter. Medium body, smooth with moderate carbonation.

03-14-2013 06:59:16 | More by flydudehsv
altctrlsdelete

Wow!

Finished my session with one of these tonight. Not billed as an IPA, which has led me away from this beer in the past. An IPA this beer unquestionably is.

Lots and lots of hops in the nose, with lots and lots of lacing left behind to remind me of just how flavorful and thick this beer is. Not something for those who don't appreciate the beauty and power of the hop, and thus something made specially for me.

My only complaint about this beer is that I've not tried it before. From now on, when this is on the menu and there's nothing new that jumps out at me, I won't have to spend 5 minutes deciding what I want to try.

01-09-2005 04:52:18 | More by altctrlsdelete
TastyTaste

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

Long sought after bomber, finally acquired across the Wisconsin border. Pours with amazing clarity, a light bronze color, and a large creamy head that fades after sitting for a minute to a creamy layer. Smell is bursting with citrus hops, lemon zest, and floral hops, an explosive array of hops. Taste starts out with hops, transitions into floral hops, and closes with more hops and some doughiness. Starts smooth, then eviscerates your hops craving. Excellent beer. Mouthfeel is perfect for the style, well carbonated and smooth. A very nice beer.

07-05-2005 19:11:39 | More by TastyTaste
mrandolph

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

This was a cask version, and a case where the brewers made a great effort to match the beer with the medium. The beer presents as a very clear golden color capped with a dense, creamy white head, almost like cool whip, in a good way, which hangs out for a long time.

The aroma is citrus followed by malt. The flavor starts bitter, reminiscent of lemon zest. The middle is sweet malt and it finishes bitter but not dry with sweet flavors as an aftertaste. The mouth feel is dense with good head and a medium body, denser than the color suggests. My overall impression is that this beer is well crafted to excel in the cask beyond what it does in the bottle, and I feel privileged to have gotten a taste from cask.

Serving type: cask

01-03-2009 03:20:43 | More by mrandolph
HoppyPopster

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours out light amber in color. There was not a lot of head upon pouring, perhaps a bit old? Smells of flowery hops. This beer is so delicious. Not too high in Alcohol, the sweet malt and bitter hops are in perfect balance. Racer 5 is one of the easiest drinking IPA's I have had!

12-14-2010 00:34:01 | More by HoppyPopster
pumptrick

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

this stuff is highly underated. pured hard into tulip and sniffed with deligh. resin hops. delicious in every sense. more resiny hops and a strong bite. not off balance quite delicious. I will drink many more of these. always easy to find and cheaper than many other choices.

01-28-2011 22:37:08 | More by pumptrick
Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.