2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Racer 5 India Pale Ale - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD
2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show
2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-27-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer 5 India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,583 | Reviews: 2,158 | Show All Ratings:
SnowFlowMfg

I give this beer a 5 based on it's representation of what I feel an IPA should be. I typically do not prefer IPAs and I actually find this one very enjoyable.

All I have to say is that it looks tantalizing and retains an amazing, creamy head to the end. Nice medium carbonation can be seen through the clear amber. The smell is sweet with strong tropical fruit hop smell. The taste is a spot-on balance of sweet maltiness and piney/tropical hop bitterness that sits just right, not too bitter and minimal bitter finish. It feels thick and chewy but not overbearing. It is truly an easy, smooth drinker with a slight resinous and oily feel to chew on. I gotta say I really like this one and will be the only IPA other than Pliny that I would actually purchase.

10-04-2012 23:09:53 | More by SnowFlowMfg
Cattlehound

One of my favorite IPA's from the west coast! A great balance of malts and hops hide the booziness in this beer, which is why my wife calls them "eraser 5's" 3-5 pints and see you later! Wow what a drinkable beer, beautiful dark amber color and great flavor!

04-02-2013 23:32:14 | More by Cattlehound
CodyOebel

Perfect 5 for Racer 5.

Pours an orange amber as an IPA should. 5/5

Smells like hops, some sweet grassy tones, and I fingered the beer, lace is minimum. 5/5 for IPA smell. Not over hopped. Just PERFECT !!!

mouthfull is fizzy, carbonated, full breadth, and solid yet lightweight. It's a great beer 5/5

Taste is absolutely balanced. I've drank overly hopped IPA's, and this one is not overly hopped. It's strong hop presence is there. Much like cascade hops used strongly in the near end of the boiling process. The taste is piney, a light malt, bitter-sweet, and after taste is bitter hops, slightly acidic in a good way, leaving the lips slippery with a nice malt surface. When a little more warm I get a black pepper after taste. It has some nice complexity for an IPA 5/5

Overall I bought this beer at Trader Joe's a pint for 3.99$ One glass in and I'm buzzing good yet not over whelmed, or wanting to take a dive on the couch for a nap. The price and quality of this beer make it another game winner. I have tasted much more expensive IPA's and this matches or defeats them. I am not at all an IPA lover, but the occassional IPA drinker, and WOW I am impressed. I would suggest and buy this beer for friends and family who understand a little about beers, and could appreciate the price point, quality, and solid IPA Bear Republic produces with this liquid pleasure.

Thank you for reading my review.
Relax, have a home brew, and prosit !

05-29-2013 19:44:09 | More by CodyOebel
Arw56

Georgia

This is a world class beer, it is absolutely the best beer ever brewed. It has the perfect balance of hops and bitterness. It is smooth and smells amazing. Color is an amber golden. Smell has definite hop presence and just a bit of citrus. Pour it a glass and let it breath for a few before tasting perfection.

09-14-2013 00:54:01 | More by Arw56
Mike_Moe

Appearance: Dark golden color light brown head.
Aroma: Very good spicy smell. Fruity banana hops aroma coming through.
Flavor: Spicy banana flavor, ending slight sweet and hoppy. This is a full bodied smooth beer.
Overall: This is a very flavorful smooth IPA. Has a very good spicy banana flavor, with quite a hoppy finish. Bold, smooth, delish. You can't stop drinking them.

01-02-2014 06:33:35 | More by Mike_Moe
chrisgalvin

4.99/5  rDev +18.8%

Just such a great beer. So big and bold and fits the area in which it is brewed. Big hop notes center around a balanced malt character with a nice finish. Two of these and you're set. Such a nice change when you are touring around the area drinking other AIPAs too. Not to say the other are crap, this is just a different and well-rounded beer.

04-01-2013 04:56:02 | More by chrisgalvin
Naerhu

Japan

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance: Orange-gold body with amazing white lacing.
Aroma: Orange, pepper and tangerine aroma.
Taste: Orange rinds, light malt and everlasting polite bitterness. The light malt stands aside to allow the hops to shine, however the bitterness does not overwhelm.
Mouthfeel: Great balance, the nice acidity makes this beer quite refreshing.
Drinkability: This is a beer from heaven, give me more and more every day. The beer is very easy drinking (even my Mom who thinks beer is ‘horrid’ liked this).

02-09-2005 04:17:33 | More by Naerhu
miramanmike

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

This is my favorite beer,so far. The hoppy sweet smell is intoxicating, and 7.00 ABV dosen't hurt. I really can't say anything bad about this beer. I have been drinking every weekend rof the last three weeks. The number spaek louder than I do....A great beer!

12-27-2008 05:50:42 | More by miramanmike
timers

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

This beer is the peak of the "California IPA" style of brewing and is without a doubt a best in genre brew. Like other beers in the class, it pushes the hops and alcohol content to a very high level, however this beer restrains enough to still preserve the delicious taste left from the wort. Although it doesn't punch you with alpha acids it does pique your tongue with more than a little enthusiasm. For West Coast emigres, it's a reminder of everything good about beers in the Golden State and the influence of all the ingredients.

Now available in some East Coast locations, hopefully more soon!

05-15-2011 23:07:11 | More by timers
flydudehsv

4.94/5  rDev +17.6%

Real nice IPA. Not the hoppiest, but it has some zip. Nice sweet malt in the background but really smooth for the 7% ABV. Initial aroma is pine forest. Orange amber color with a moderate off white head. Flavor starts fruity (apricot, orange) turning light grapefruit bitter and finishing kinda dry and orange rind bitter. Medium body, smooth with moderate carbonation.

03-14-2013 06:59:16 | More by flydudehsv
altctrlsdelete

Wow!

Finished my session with one of these tonight. Not billed as an IPA, which has led me away from this beer in the past. An IPA this beer unquestionably is.

Lots and lots of hops in the nose, with lots and lots of lacing left behind to remind me of just how flavorful and thick this beer is. Not something for those who don't appreciate the beauty and power of the hop, and thus something made specially for me.

My only complaint about this beer is that I've not tried it before. From now on, when this is on the menu and there's nothing new that jumps out at me, I won't have to spend 5 minutes deciding what I want to try.

01-09-2005 04:52:18 | More by altctrlsdelete
TastyTaste

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

Long sought after bomber, finally acquired across the Wisconsin border. Pours with amazing clarity, a light bronze color, and a large creamy head that fades after sitting for a minute to a creamy layer. Smell is bursting with citrus hops, lemon zest, and floral hops, an explosive array of hops. Taste starts out with hops, transitions into floral hops, and closes with more hops and some doughiness. Starts smooth, then eviscerates your hops craving. Excellent beer. Mouthfeel is perfect for the style, well carbonated and smooth. A very nice beer.

07-05-2005 19:11:39 | More by TastyTaste
mrandolph

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

This was a cask version, and a case where the brewers made a great effort to match the beer with the medium. The beer presents as a very clear golden color capped with a dense, creamy white head, almost like cool whip, in a good way, which hangs out for a long time.

The aroma is citrus followed by malt. The flavor starts bitter, reminiscent of lemon zest. The middle is sweet malt and it finishes bitter but not dry with sweet flavors as an aftertaste. The mouth feel is dense with good head and a medium body, denser than the color suggests. My overall impression is that this beer is well crafted to excel in the cask beyond what it does in the bottle, and I feel privileged to have gotten a taste from cask.

Serving type: cask

01-03-2009 03:20:43 | More by mrandolph
HoppyPopster

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours out light amber in color. There was not a lot of head upon pouring, perhaps a bit old? Smells of flowery hops. This beer is so delicious. Not too high in Alcohol, the sweet malt and bitter hops are in perfect balance. Racer 5 is one of the easiest drinking IPA's I have had!

12-14-2010 00:34:01 | More by HoppyPopster
pumptrick

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

this stuff is highly underated. pured hard into tulip and sniffed with deligh. resin hops. delicious in every sense. more resiny hops and a strong bite. not off balance quite delicious. I will drink many more of these. always easy to find and cheaper than many other choices.

01-28-2011 22:37:08 | More by pumptrick
RedBeerchetta

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

Had this on tap recently and was taken aback at how fresh the hops smelled and tasted. I was at the Dogfish Head brewpub in Rehoboth Beach, MD recently and had their 90 minute IPA that had been put through "Randall the Enamel Animal" (look it up if you don't know of it). I had never tasted a brew with such a fresh hop smell and taste. This glass of Racer 5 was second to that. It was so fresh tasting (pine, herbaceous hop scent) that I had to ask if they had a Randall (the used to, but don't anymore).

Racer 5 has always been one of my favorite IPAs but this keg was outstanding. Hoppy without being very bitter (though that would be ok). A unique and special IPA that would please hopheads and newbies alike.

04-20-2008 04:30:18 | More by RedBeerchetta
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Sampled this from a 22oz bomber.
Pours out a clear amber-orange color with an extremely sticky white head that left rings of lace all over the glass. The aroma is filled with citrusy hops and screams huge hop additions. The taste is packed with a great hop start but smoothes out over the tongue wonderfully with a perfect balance of bitterness. The semi-high ABV in this is well hidden but makes a presence letting you know that it is there very sublte in the finish. The smoothness of this beer is incredible for having so much hop flavor. The intense hops in an IPA that are normally too much for malt-lovers, is so well balanced, that this is a perfect beer for those who want to explore the world of the hop-heads. I personally can not get enough hops, and this one (not being a IIPA) is just phenomenal. As far as the IPA style goes, I have yet to find one that is as well crafted as this.

05-25-2005 00:16:15 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
kbnooshay

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

This pours a gorgeous hazy orange copper with a nice airy(and weirdly uneven) cream colored head and mezmerizing layered lacing. The smell produces a WOw! Fresh citrus smells and an assload of hops w/light malts. The taste bitchsmacks you with hops right away but I also enjoyed the slight matly sweetness all in the same taste. There is definately piney goodness and a hint of caremel in all that sweetness. I know it is only 7.0 abv but this warms my throat right away for some reason. So Smooth. The mouthfeel is awesome and creamy, I could drink a million of these. Sorta syrupy though. Really dissapointed this isn't served on tap at my local MacGregors anymore.

By the way the head ROCKS! Right now there is a frickin cavern developing above the beer. Hard to describe but amazing. haha actually i want the foam to fall down and become beer.

08-31-2005 05:05:28 | More by kbnooshay
montageman

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured into a Schlitz chalice.

Can't get this beer in Michigan, so I'm kicking myself for not getting more of it when I was recently in Toledo. This is a powerful IPA. Huge bitter hop kick in the pants - relentless. Not balanced, but that's OK. It's all about the hops. Not something I could drink all of the time, but definitely one I'd love to have in my normal rotation. Highly recommended.

07-28-2009 02:26:33 | More by montageman
slaters5050

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

My favorite IPA. Just claimed a permanent spot on the tap. Has a great orange color and an easy drink as far as IPA are concerned. It has become a favorite at the restaurant in a very short time.In fact, people have traveled to Slater's 50/50 for the sole reason that we have this beer on tap. Real bitter real hoppy real good!

09-30-2009 22:05:12 | More by slaters5050
Chico1985

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

(just copy and pasted notes from notepad, didn't feel like editing it)

pours a beautiful pumpkin orange, bubbly creamy white head. hazy sediment visible when held up to the light. leaves sporadic, sticky lacing. 4.5

excellent classic IPA smell. fruit and hops up the wazoo, grapefruit and citrus heavy especially. 4.5

such a great balance of hops and malts here. grapefruit and pine, biscuit, caramel, warm baked goods. a tropical candy like sweetness. the hops aren't overpowering which lets the flavors truly shine, something I really look for in an IPA. 5

mouthfeel is so good, super creamy. works very well with all the flavors here. absolutely no alcohol taste, truly drinks like a dream. carbonation level is perfect. 5

drinkability is obviously great here. 12 bucks is maybe a tad much for a 6-pack, but I will continue to buy this again and again. Bear Republic certainly knows how to make an American IPA - Racer 5 and Hop Rod Rye are both among the best, most notable ones available. This is easily my favorite go-to for this style. 5

03-28-2010 20:26:30 | More by Chico1985
AWolfAtTheDoor

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

This is currently my go-to for a session beer. MAINLY because I am in the mood for IPAs and this is the best one I can get in a case at my local liquor store. For the record I just opened my.. 5th 12 pack case of it tonight. Thought it proper to give it

Vigorous pour yields a less than impressive head, and nothing is worse than bad head.. but is there really such think? Where were we? Oh yes, a beer review. On the up side, lacing is usually good with this beer. I'm on my 5th case of the stuff, trust me : )

Smells good. Not overpowering. Pine and citrus are the dominant scents coming through.

OK. Taste. Wow. It's got everything you could want in a session IPA. Hops are there, and tangy, but beautifully balanced by the malt backbone. It's really as simple as that. And this is why I am on my 5th case of the stuff.

Mouthfeel is nice. Medium body. The malts hold the hops in check and it never develops into a sour twang that some IPAs can evolve to.

Stupidly drinkable. This is my 5th case of the stuff. Until Russian River starts selling Pliny by the case, this WILL be my go-to session beer until the weather starts to cool off and I start looking for browns, porters, and stouts.

06-25-2010 03:29:13 | More by AWolfAtTheDoor
Brianjames16

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

A- Translucent copper color with a bunch of bubbles racing to the top. Nice two finger white head with substantial lacing on my pint glass.
S- Big IPA aroma. Piny flowery notes jump out and are inviting and balanced.
T- Here's where it gets fun. One of the most balanced IPA"s I have had to date. Hop bitterness is present but doesn't pull away from the subtle earthy flavors. I get a taste off pines, citrus and a bready malt character here.
M- Perfect amount of carbonation makes for a refreshing experience with full flavor. I would say this would fall in to a light/medium body.
D- I wish I had more then this bomber right now. I could have a couple of these without exhausting the flavors of this brew. Racer 5, welcome to my top 5 IPA list.

02-28-2011 00:01:46 | More by Brianjames16
BeerDawgs

Georgia

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

A - A nice dark golden with sediment floating. Really nice head retention and tons of lace. Impressive.

S - Citrusy hops, delicous. Wow, smells great.

T - heavenly. Bitter up front at 1st taste, and then it moves into a floraly hops and citrus flavor. Just damn tasty.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Not crisp, but smooth.

D - fantastic. This is one of the best IPA's I've ever had. It's up there with Cigar City's Jai Alai in my opinion. A Tier 1 IPA. Give me more!

04-16-2011 01:46:12 | More by BeerDawgs
mdagnew

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

330ml bottle bought online from Beersofeurope.co.uk

Poured a nice golden yellow colour. Slightly off white head poured big thick and foamy. Tons of carbonation rushes to the surface maintaining a thick rocky covering throughout... lots of sticky lacing...

Aroma - Juicy and maybe slightly tropical fruits (lemons, limes, grapefruits, pineapple), light pine, light palm sugar / caramel sweetness, sea salt, light toasted malt, fresh cut wet grass, light herbal notes, quite floral (lillies maybe ?), white pepper...

Taste - Nice juicy floral hop bitterness perfectly balanced by some light caramel maltiness, light floral honey sweetness, good fruitiness (oranges, grapefruit, light pineapple, apricot), herbal notes, perfumey, sea salt traces, faint soapy hints...

M&D - Smooth and creamy with a little sharpness underneath. Light / medium bodied... supremely quaffable..

Overall - An exquisite IPA and quite possibly the best i've had... My first Bear Republic brew and it lives up to the hype... highly recommended...

03-20-2012 12:00:33 | More by mdagnew
Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.