2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Racer 5 India Pale Ale - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD
2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show
2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-27-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer 5 India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,583 | Reviews: 2,158 | Show All Ratings:
thydarkprevails

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a duvel tulip. Nice yellow orange with a 1/2 inch off white head. Aroma is piney but nothing special. Flavor has a nice caramel and malt back with a strong hop hit. Bitter citrus fruits are apparent with more of that pine coming through. Mouthfeel is somewhat sticky. Overall a good ipa, just not amazing.

03-06-2012 12:18:18 | More by thydarkprevails
Kisejohn

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Aroma:  Subdued grapefruit aroma with a hint of malt.  Was hoping for more.

Appearance:  Honey gold color with a half finger of head.  Head dissipates quickly leaving nice lacing.

Flavor:  Grapefruit rind and some caramel malt predominate.  Lingering bitterness in the finish.  Was hoping for more hop flavor.  Hop flavor is limited in comparison to other west coast IPAs.

Mouthfeel:   Light body with good carbonation.

Overall:  This is a very good IPA for any hop head.  The hop aroma and flavor are fairly subdued in comparison to leading west coast IPAs.  Enjoyable IPA, but not my favorite.

08-02-2012 21:15:15 | More by Kisejohn
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: poured four times into my toothbrush holder plastic tumbler (hotel room in San Fran) on 4 Feb 2013.

Pale amber body with an off-white head.

Hoppy, bitter and dry tasting: I'd had it in a sink full of ice while we went out and I thought it got better as it warmed, when cold it had little to no bite from its hoppiness, once a bit warmer the hops really asserted themselves and they came alive.

I'm not a huge 'hop monster' but I thought this was very drinkable in deed.

04-09-2013 13:21:03 | More by BlackHaddock
retry4z

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served cool from a bomber bottle into a Delirium snifter glass.

Very hazy, light orange color with a tenacious tan head.

Smell is a little musty, hints of malt, hops, citrus, and slight pine.

Initial bitterness is followed by a pine sweetness, some citrus notes, some warming alcohol.

Medium to full bodied, light carbonation, buttery consistency, some astringency.

Overall, the musty smell threw me off, while the hops don't provide the complex flavor I came to love in such IPA's as Lagunitas or Alesmith.

08-11-2013 07:31:51 | More by retry4z
wofat

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

This IPA pours golden with a slight amber tone with a constant, champagne-like strands of carbonation from the bottom of your glass, culminating in a large, frothy head that sticks around longer than expected.

The aroma is a full on assault of fruit-like hops. I was hoping that the flavor would somehow meet up with my expectations after smelling this beer, but it starts with a moderate carmel maltiness transitioning to a too mild hop flavor and overdone bitterness. I personally would have liked a bit more hop flavor in this IPA, rather than just the lingering bitterness that this brew provides. The bitterness of the aftertaste in this beer is a bit overwhelming to the mild sweetness of the malt.

This is a tasty IPA, but fell below my expectations. Drinkability suffers due to the lack of real hop flavor and hearty, lingering bitterness.

03-31-2003 09:12:20 | More by wofat
far333

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Dark orangey apricot color with a beige thick, oily looking head that clings to the sides of the glass. Aroma is of hops, honey, pear, and alcohol in equal amounts. Flavor is not very hoppy, but has hints of orange peel and honey and some floral notes. There is a distinct alcohol flourish in the back of the tongue in the finish, and it also lingers afterward. Mouthfeel is a little watery, a bit low on carbonation. Tasty beer, but needs more balance. The flavor is overpowered by the alcohol.

09-24-2003 03:58:18 | More by far333
barleypop

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

I partook of this on tap at Bear Republic. Its appearance was that of clover honey with not much of a head to speak of.

The nose I can only describe as that of a sticky marijuana plant. Not that I know what one smells like. I’ve been to the Haight one too many times.

The hop flavors come through strongly. I think there is a hop stuck in my teeth! There are some biscuity malt flavors somewhere in the background struggling to make themselves heard. An exceedingly dry finish.

Overall, a bit too hoppy for my liking. Could use a bit more balance. It literally tastes like hops steeped in boiling water. Introducing the worlds first IPA Iced Tea!

11-04-2003 20:15:11 | More by barleypop
WilliamD

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured into a pint glass. Light amber color with a thin white head.
Smells of malts is stronger than the hops. Faint pineapple and strange, musty aroma.
Mild hop presence in the taste. Citrus-y and watery. Little bit of an alcohol bite.
Mouthfeel is crisp and watery.
Good drinkability. The alcohol presence surprised me though.
Not that impressed with this one. Decent IPA.

04-10-2009 02:37:48 | More by WilliamD
idResponse

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Golden color with a frothy head and lovely lacing that seems to be sticking around quite well so far. Scents of citrus and alcohol, standard IPA smell coming off of this. The First Swig reveals a really smooth balanced standard IPA taste. Very nice mouthfeel and drinkability seems to be right up there with many of my favorite IPA's. I think this is a solid brew, but I am not convinced it is anything to really go crazy over. If you see it on the shelf and haven't tried it, give it a go. It won't disappoint, but won't make your jaw drop. A Solid IPA, Bear Republic!

01-10-2010 08:45:43 | More by idResponse
Hellabeerguzzler

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

a - decent. Nice copper, slightly cloudy (hello!) w/ not much carbonation although enough for me. The shittiest label I have ever seen. It looks like a poor take on a retro label that just was anything but enticing - but heck, it's just a label. Wouldn't have touched it had it not been recommended to try.

s - a little piney, hops not very sharp at all but sweet smell with some breadiness in there. A little wheaty for me as an IPA but regardless, still very nice.

t - delicious. very well done. hop-forward, piney sweet hops with some balance and malt. All in all a very nice beer.

m - coats the mouth heavily and stays with you for a bit.

d - drinkability is very good. I'd drink it again but have to deduct just a little bit for the mouth-wrecking it gave me. I'd drink it again but would stop at 1.

02-02-2011 21:24:40 | More by Hellabeerguzzler
BrewCrew2010

Mississippi

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Hazy copper orange body. No head even with a hard pour.

S: A simple nose of grapefruit, caramel, & dry bready malts. Not as hop forward as I hoped.

T: Bitter citrus hops followed by sweet & bready malts. Although balanced, the flavor is slightly weak. Dry & bitter finish.

M: Medium body, decent carbonation, & crisp mouthfeel. Very refreshing.

O: This one seemed a bit off for the style. Got it from the store's cooler so I think it was fresh, but this one seemed slightly weak and more hop forward. I would drink this again, but believe there are much better American IPAs out there.

04-14-2011 02:27:07 | More by BrewCrew2010
claspada

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a bright golden color with a medium size white soapy head that leaves ample lacing.

Aromas begin with a ton of grapefruit and lemony hops, some pine, with a lightly sweet crackery pale malt backbone.

The tastes follow the nose with huge grapefruit and floral hop flavors assaulting the palate leaving a great deal of lingering bitterness. Not much malt backbone even as it warms as the aromas slightly suggested.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. The finish is pretty dark bitter and becomes a challenge to enjoy more and more as it warms.

Overall this is just not a very drinkable/enjoyable beer as I find with most West Coast single IPAs. The flavors are all hops and no malt with little balance; great for some, not for me.

09-07-2012 20:27:10 | More by claspada
MLegendre

Oregon

3.55/5  rDev -15.5%

A: BIG, BIG white fluffy head. Disapates very, very slowly leaving lots of lacing. Golden orange in color with millians of little bubbles racing to the top. Head never goes away and stays until the last drop.

S: Hops hit the nose like a ton of bricks followed by some very zesty citrus scents. Enough malt in the smell to balance everything out.

T: Very different than any IPA I've ever had before. This threw me off guard. Taste is like a mixture of hops and sweet peanut sauce. Bitterness of the hops is very strong but not overpowering. The nutty malt is right along side it for the duration of the drink. Finish is very bitter like grapefruit, aftertaste is bitter, yet sweet as well. After awhile the peanut taste started to become overwhelming. This is unlike anything I've ever had before. This would go great with Thai food.

M: Medium bodied, fair carbonation, pretty smooth.

D: A very interesting IPA. This is definatly something I would get again when in the mood for something as odd as this. As good as it is, not something I could drink a whole lot of. It was a little hard for me to finish the whole thing. I'm a huge fan of Thai food so I'm pretty stoked to find something that would go well with it, though I probably wouldn't get this under any other circumstances.

08-20-2006 02:48:29 | More by MLegendre
Overlord

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Not as good as I expected.

Not the hoppiest IPA I've had ... by a wide margin, but the lack of those delicious hops hasn't been replaced by much. It has a fairly straightforward bitter with a bare splash of citrus flavor. In comparison to a DIPA, which usually will have more sweet fruit/malt flavors balancing out the hops, there isn't much else going on here. Mostly grapefruit, no real residual sweetness ... maybe a bit of orange/citrus.

Pours a not terribly attractive yellowish orange, but does have great carbonation and a long lasting head (started off four fingered, but quicly disippated to a more manageable finger length .. then lingered at half a finger for the entirety of the drink).

By no means a bad beer, it's just not my favorite IPA. The real problem is the price. For a few dollars more I can get union jack ipa or ruination, for a few dollars less I can get mission street, alaskan, or torpedo ipa, and for the same price I can get celebration ipa.

09-13-2007 09:22:13 | More by Overlord
Proteus93

3.55/5  rDev -15.5%

A: A light gold / somewhat murky straw colour... a good, bubbly, insanely sticky head. Quite nice.

S: Somewhat sharp grapefruit/pine blend in the aroma, along with some citrus peel. Crisp and clean.

T: Pretty aggressive... huge, full hops explosion. Maybe a little overwhelming, and a bit unbalanced to my palate. Lots of the grapefruit taste, almost like it came complete with the peel. A bit of the taste that I have only been able to compare to 'eating a joint.'

M: A pretty full body, maybe a little sticky/tacky towards the finish.

D: This is perhaps a case where it's 'bigger is not necessarily better' for me. It could be a case of needing to be in the mood for the hops assault, but this is one I think I may hesitate on in the future. I really enjoyed their stout, though, so it hasn't thrown me off the brewery.

02-14-2008 01:57:48 | More by Proteus93
Reagan1984

Served from a bomber

Caramel/deep copper in color with a slight haze.
2 fingers of dense off white head that lasted.
There was an insane amount of lacing.

Aroma was malty sweet and did not have a fresh hop aroma.

The flavor unfortunately matched the aroma.

The flavor was Malty/Caramel/sweet with a cooked/dead hop bitterness.

I don't think this is very well balanced at all and our tasting group placed this near the bottom of the IPA & DPA's that we all sampled.

If you are a hop head, look elsewhere.

06-16-2008 13:55:31 | More by Reagan1984
vfgccp

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed an off bottle on 4/26/11, came back to it again to give it a second chance.

A – Light gold body. White head with ok retention, but good lace.

S – Woody, leafy hop character. Light honey sweetness.

T – Soft malt into an orange and ginger middle. Herbal backend of thyme and rosemary. Great balance, but the end of the profiled is blemished by a dry dustiness.

M – Medium body with a lightly sweet finish.

O – Not a bad IPA. The dusty note on the backend keep this a solid point lower than where it could have been imho.

08-20-2011 15:27:11 | More by vfgccp
Strix

Wisconsin

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Clear golden, decent initial head, fades quickly, a bit of lacing.

Sweet malt and floral hops in the smell.

Light sweet malt background, pine twang, slight grapefruit finish. Fairly classic, but nothing particularly unique that I tasted.

Medium-smooth mouthfeel.

A good example of the style, but nothing on this really stood out for me. Good but not great.

01-08-2012 02:17:39 | More by Strix
Ego

found @ DeCicco Market, Pelham, NY

eyes..
big fluffy white head (no, not mine...the beer), sticky like those octopuses you got out of cereal boxes and chucked at the wall, the head is bumby like a crappy matress, orange with ample carbonation flowing from the bottom of the chalice, very good looking.

nose...
hops, next question ? ok... citrusy but not pine or lemon, a bit more floral like sierra nevada pale with a kicker, almost hard to get past the hop blast but there is a nice musty bread tone buried in there as well, nothing yeasty or doughy just a whiff of a bakery in the morning, nothing insanely complex here but more like "here I am bitch"

taste etc...
prickly carbonation abounds, hops hops hops... this can be a touch bitter but that doesn't bother this pilgrim. mouthfeel is really good, medium and carries well over the palette, the ABV is not an issue in the flavor but it does creep up on you.

verdict?
I have enjoyed other bear offerings to a greater extent, this isn't bad by any stretch but it certainly didn't knock my socks off... I wouldn't be averse to having it again but I won't go silly looking for it.

01-29-2006 05:08:08 | More by Ego
zdk9

3.53/5  rDev -16%

A- Pours a light orange with just a film of head. Small dots of lacing.

S- The strongest scent on this one is orange, sort of a Mandarin sweet orange. With extensive smelling I can detect caramel and light butterscotch notes.

T- Quite sweet, once again with the orange and the caramel. I'd say the taste of this is somewhat of an English, malt forward, beer, but with American hops. The problem I have is that the hops just aren't doing it for me.

M- The alcohol hits me hard for this beer. Not so much in the palate, but down my throat I feel it. The beer is smooth enough for my taste, and the carbonation treats it well.

O- This is a decent beer, and probably even worth the small price I paid for it. But not an exceptional IPA, the complexity isn't quite there.

01-31-2008 06:05:10 | More by zdk9
Genghis22

3.53/5  rDev -16%

A - Pours a beautiful gold color with a small white head that did not last long. Nice little bits of lacing.

S - Hops, hops and more hops. Sweet and piney all at the same time, this is an IPA!

T - Starts off sweet and finishes with a nice bitter hop aftertaste.

M - Thick and syrupy with minimal carbonation.

D - This is a drinkable beer. The first time I had it, I didn't like it, but it's been a while and I've grown as a beer drinker. This is a fine example of a good west coast IPA. Lots of piney hops in the nose and they come through on the taste as well.

03-20-2009 06:35:14 | More by Genghis22
rfgetz

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Clear orangy amber, fluffy, creamy hand pumped head.

S: Piney hops, faint hints of citrus and spice. Decent malt presence.

T: Piney hops with spicy flavors. Hints of citrus and decent malt backbone. Bitter and Earthy.

M: Big boddied, slightly oily and coating. Some aftertaste.

D: Good, but not great. Odd combo of strong piney hops and malt backbone. Cask is not my favorite IPA serving device.

Serving type: cask

09-20-2009 17:24:38 | More by rfgetz
ZDub

3.53/5  rDev -16%

22oz bottle. Duvel glass. No best by/bottled on date.

A - Pours a very clear golden straw color. A nearly white two finger head reduces to half a fingers width after a minute and leaves minimal lacing.

S - Smells of pine-resin-hoppiness with some floral notes. Possibly a hint of sweetness. Not overly complex but nice and inviting.

T - Very nice. It has a good balance of hops to malt. It's not cloying at all but it is sweeter than I expected. The hops are there, but they don't hang around long.

M - Medium mouthfeel. Very crisp, refreshing, and smooth.

D - Very drinkable. Perhaps this bottle is a little old. That could explain the mellowness of the hops. Of course, having been drinking mostly imperial IPA's lately my palate could be off. No matter, this is a very good beer.

09-22-2010 00:05:27 | More by ZDub
DaveBlack

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Rich honey color, maybe a cm of white head that has pretty good retention and leaves a nice ring of lacing. A steady stream of bubbles can be seen rising from the middle of the glass to feed the thin layer of head that remains.

S: Lovely aroma of piney, citrusy hops. not much going on behind the hops except a hint of sweetness from the malts. Definitely almost entirely hops here.

T: Nothing subtle about the hops on this baby, either in the nose or the taste. Grapefruit hops hit right up front, giving a nice jolt of bitterness, that fades away into sweetness with a lasting hop flavor.

M: Medium-light body with a good amount of carbonation that tickles the tongue.

O: A good IPA, a very drinkable beer, but it's basically a mild hop bomb. Not much complexity, just delicious hops. I have given up being impressed with simple, heavily hopped beer, but it is good and well balanced. If you're looking for something unique, though, look elsewhere.

03-27-2011 22:48:27 | More by DaveBlack
barleywinefiend

Washington

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a nice gold color with small thin white head.

S: Nose was floral, citrus and well hopped

T: Taste followed the nose very well. No surprises. Lots of caramel malt, more malts than hops I thought, floral notes mainly with citrus notes.

M: Finished slightly bitter but smooth. The hops blast was late and good.

D: Good

Serving type: growler

04-04-2011 00:29:01 | More by barleywinefiend
Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.