Racer 5 India Pale Ale - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-27-2002

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD
2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show
2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer 5 India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,054 | Reviews: 2,264
4.82/5  rDev +15%

Had this for the first time on draft in Virginia and have been on a quest to find a place to buy it. Picked a few bombers up in Webster, NY a few weeks back.

Pours a deep orangish copper color. Hazy in clarity. Nice white head forms right away. Very good head retention for the first few minutes, it then settles down to a nice lacing on top of the beer. A good floral smell, hops are right up front. Maybe a little fruity note, apricot, maybe hint of orange? Mouth feel, slightly sweet start but the hops kick in almost right away. Oily feel going through the mouth. Good bitter hops note but not too much, alcohol (7%) is well hidden but does help balance out the hops, you do feel the hops on your teeth between sips. All in all I had forgotten how much I love this beer. May need to stack it up against the 90 min when I get home in a battle royal for my top IPA. If you are a hop and IPA fanatic then go get one of some Racer 5, a supreme example of a West Coast IPA. I have got to figure out a way to get this stuff in GA.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

Very hoppy, like a forbidden forest of hops. Yum
A: Gold. Ample head is essentially white and the lacing is sweet too. Great carbonation!
S: Hops hops and more hops! Oh so subtle pine and citrus fruit notes
T: Hops! Extremely delicious. A little piney
M: Crisp and drinkable. Hops are present throughout the experience
O: Fairly balanced if you love hops like I do. Other than the hops though, not much shines through in this brew... It is exciting and refined, very appetizing, light and easy to drink!

Serving Type : 22oz Bomber that I picked up for $4.99

First this beer is a hell of a steal at $4.99 for a 22oz bomber!!!

A- A slightly hazy orange with little to no head. Mild Carbonation.

S- I could smell this beer the minute I opened it. Juicy juicy hops overcame the dinning room. Very citrus aroma with a subtle pine and resin in the back. Very little malt pick up

T- Not what I was expecting at $4.99 This beer is incredible. Right up there with Smuttynose and Ithaca Flower power. It reminded me specifically of flower power. The hop profile is very similar! Very delicious and has started to quench my thirst!

M- A little lighter than I would like or expect from a IPA. Perhaps they slimmed on the grain bill. No taste or smell or malt or grain. Very smooth and tingly from the mild carbonation. Overall a great mouthfeel. This is my first time having this and I put it down rather quick :)

Get this beer! You will love it, and if you paid what I did for it you will be in one of those WIN WIN situations! Cheers!

4.82/5  rDev +15%

My mouth is watering in anticipation of tasting this beer. I've poured a small amount in my pint glass from a good height to bring our it's aroma, and it's wonderful. Fruit comes to mind ... orange, and apricot, both really ripe and also pleanty of piney hops.

I can't wait any longer and take a sip and am rewarded with an upfront sweet fruity note, followed by the wonderfully bitter bite of hops. They are in perfect compliment with one another. Not all hops like some of the IPA's out there.

Craving more than a sip, I pour the rest of my bottle into my pint glass and see an ample two fingers of fine bubbled tan head. The ale itself has an orange tint with a little bit of a yeast "halo" that develops into a slightly hazy brew. There are signs of uniform lacing around the walls of my glass.

The mouthfeel reminds my a little of a late harvest muscat, thick and full bodied, but not oberbaring or coating on my palate. The flavor lingers sufficiently and reminds me that I need another sip ... or perhaps a good swig better yet. I am not disappointed as the flavor profile keeps reminding me of why I like this beer so much.

If you haven't tried Racer 5 and you like IPA's, I encourage you to crack one open. You won't be disappointed. I beleive that this might be the gold standard of American IPA's.

4.81/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is a perfect example of an IPA with a real beer taste/ Smooth as an IPA with a very Hoppy taste and great beer finish make this one of my top 5 favorite beers. Not only works as a compliment to food of many varieties, but works well all on its own as well. I am a big fan of local options, but this beer comes all the way from california and it is worth every mile it travels to get to my store in Pennsylvania Love it!

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Poursamber with a one finger tan head.

A nice balance of sweet citrus and resins in the nose. A bit of bubblegum.

Sweet caramel and thick resins up front, lead into a slightly astringent middle. Ends with a fantastic malty, resinous bitterness.

Medium bodied, extraordinarily drinkable. Definitely a four pinter.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

On tap at Pete's Brass Rail in Danville.

a - Good color, slightly cloudy (the way I like it) yellow/gold.

s - Very mellow pine and citrus. And of course the indication of hops to come.

t - As someone who isn't crazy about the really strong IPAs, I love this one. The hops are there, but they're not strong to the point that they feel like they're ripping your mouth apart. Very balanced and, like the smell, mellow.

m - Like the taste, for an IPA, this was a little surprising. Fairly thin feel compared to some others I've had.

d - Could break the bank putting these away.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Bottled May 24, 2010, hopefully I can find a fresher one soon enough.

A- Orange amber with a off-white head that doesn't reach impressive heights. Dies down at a fairly quick to a cloud and ring that sustain themselves. Some big chunks float around in this one. Somehow my entire glass is coated with lace after a sub-par head.

S- If someone wanted to know what a hop smelled like, this is where they should go. A blast of that Cali citrus, almost sweet fruity hop right off the bat. A strong caramel backbone supports the hops. Great overall aroma strength.

T- Once again, you have to come back to this beer to experience the true staple of a modern IPA flavor. Opens with general earthy, pine hop flavor and finishes with a great citrus, fruity hop flavor unlike almost anything else. Caramel notes come in the beginning and bread hints support the finish. Pine becomes more and more prevalent as I sip onward but it only adds to the great balance. Some sweetness but it is just divine.

MF- Moderate body supports a very flavorful beer. The carbonation is fairly high and slightly stings the taste buds. Creamy. Fairly bitter, at a level that does not interfere with the great flavor.

DB- I have had this one several times before but I have never really sat down with it until now. This beer is in every store for a reason, it is a truly iconic IPA. One that will probably outlast 99% of the style during the inevitable test of time. This one joins the ranks of Weihenstephaner and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in the true staples of beer.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

22 oz. bomber poured into a pint glass. Stunning honey-orange color that almost glows. Huge fluffy white head that leave chunks of clinging lace on the side of the glass. Now that's a pretty beer!

Marvelous nose. Very clean, sweet aroma. Extremely floral, perhaps rivaled only by NBB's Trippel. Would make a great perfume.

Big hoppy flavor hits your tongue right away. Almost immediatly afterwards, you notice a wonderful honey-sweet malt backdrop balancing everything out. Incredible. More floral esters are noticable as well. Some lingering bitterness remains on the palate, but this finishes pretty dry and clean. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Very soft and light mouthfeel. I would go so far as to call it poetic. This really is incredibly smooth for such a highly hopped brew. Ideal carbonation level.

I've been meaning to try this for a some time, and now I can't believe what I've been missing out on! This is perhaps more floral and less spicy than your traditional west coast IPA, but who cares? This is one outstanding beer. My hat's off to Bear Republic, I was truly blown away.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Kegged 5/08/15 Tapped 5/23/15 Wow the aroma is amazing. Flavor is a buttery,citrusy , hoppy treat for your mouth. I had a 5 gallon keg of this last fall and it was good. This keg is exceptional. Bear republic is creating some amazing beers that may rival or beat their neighbors to the south Russian River.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Served from a Bomber and poured into a Pint Glass.

The initial whiff hit me with strong fruity flavors, particularly Banana. After pouring the first glass it had an exceptional golden color and ridiculous foamy head. It actually stuck out over the top of the glass with beautiful Peaks and Points, reminiscent of a Mountain range. The creamy foam head actually never dissipates and the first sip is intense with the fore mentioned fruity flavors and ends on the bitter side. It is medium to full bodied and not to carbonated.

The overall drinkability is very smooth and not overpowering, which makes you want to have another glas!!. I highly recommend this IPA and it may just be the best I have had in a while. To the store...for more!!!

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

i was recomended to try this ipa ffrom a fellow that works at u-pick 6 on peach street erie,pa. he has never steered me wrong and sure was on the money with this one!it pours an orangeish amber color,nice half inch head on it,leaves a bit of lacing around the glass,and tastes of hops,and citrus.this beer is excellent deffinate top five india pale ales i have ever tasted.this has become a must have for me,though i have to travel 25 miles to get it definately worth the trip!

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours a slightly hazy golden peach color. Big dense and creamy off white head. Good retention and it left rings of sticky lace.
Smells of citrusy/perfumey hops. Earthy sweet malt, fruit (pears?)
and tea.
Excellent balance of flavors. The sweet malt, caramel and fruit backbone is balanced by a beautiful hop profile. Outstanding!
Medium bodied with a creamy rich mouthfeel and an outstanding level of carbonation.
Great balance and mouthfeel lead to unparalleled drinkability.
One of my favorite IPA's. Just a great effort by Bear Republic.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

poured from the bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours a nice hazy, orange-gold with small flecks of yeast suspended throughout. Only a few bubbles rise to the dense, off-white, two-finger head. Head stays intact all the way down the glass. Leaves behind generous splotches of lacing.

S - Nice bouquet of floral aromas greet the nose upon opening the bottle floating a sweet caramel backbone. In the glass, the nose becomes more citrus with orange, pineapple and grapefruit notes.

T - Upfront, we have orange flavors and sweetness, almost like a wheat beer. The body is exceptionally well balanced with floral hops perfectly balanced by a firm Caramel backbone with hints of orange and mango on top of it all. Sticky orange flavor as the beer passes over the back of the tongue that intensifies into a lingering bitter-orange finish.

M - Medium bodied with low carbonation to give the beer a nice creaminess that compliments it well.

This beer has been tempting me in my fridge ever since I picked it up a couple months ago in Phoenix with my wife on our anniversary. Faced with literally hundreds of beers I hadn't sampled before, I was forced to only bring 12 home with me. Glad I chose Racer 5. Hands down this is the best IPA I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. Though not a hop-heads delight, this beer is incredibly smooth and balanced despite being very complex and having a rather high ABV of 7%. Hopefully I can find this beer in New Mexico as I would love to make it a staple in my fridge. It is beers like this that make obtaining, tasting and reviewing beers from around the world such an exciting and rewarding hobby.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours an orangish yellow with about 1.5 fingers of head that leaves nice lacing down the entire glass.

S: Smells of piney hops and citrus

T: I love the taste of this beer. Starts out with piney hops and a hint of citrus. There seems to also be some malt to balance it out. Finishes with a nice clean bitter bite.

M: Medium bodied with medium combination, smooth and crisp finish.

D: This is the best IPA I have had to date.

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%

Wow this is a very good IPA! The color is a nice amber with a nice head which quickly diminishes leaving a beatiful lacing around the glass. The smell is awesome not over powered by hops as some others do. The taste is exceptional one of the best IPA's I've had. I wish I had another one however sadly I don't. This beer is truely worth getting.

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%

Orange/copper in color, a little hazy. Nice head, some lacing. Smells of high-grade cannabis and grapefruit. Smells wonderfully hoppy. Full-bodied and smooth and somewhat creamy. Very nice. Taste is hops and more hops -- citrus and grapefruit -- and a malty, biscuity background, but hops dominate. Wonderful.

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. Beer is amber, clear until the yeast poured into the glass (my bad). Carbonation is steady, head forms full and white, falls away leaving a diffuse head behind and some lacing on the glass.

Aroma is hop filled wonderment. I love sniffing this beer. There are some beers that I wouldn't care if I never took a drink, this is one of them. I would love to just smell this beer over and over again, but I digress.

Full bodied, hits all parts of the palate, high bitterness on the back end, the hop oils coat your tongue. There is not a dominant aftertaste, amazingly. Some sweetness on the front, one of the best American IPAs I've ever had.

Hop heads take notice, track this down, find it. The hop character is a nicely balanced mixture of pine and citrus. A great great beer.

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%

beautifull bronze pour with a slight haze leading to a frothy tan head and abundant lacing.

Nose is dominated by hops, sweet bready malts and floral essence.
Taste is very nice, big on the feel with a lot of legs. Perfect balance of malts and juicy resinioius hops.
Great beer.

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%

I could drink this all day long. WOW so balanced and delicious.

A: Golden orange hue with notable lacing.

S: The bouquet is fantastical! Its as if someone whacked me in the face with a grapefruit and flowers.

T: Delightfully citrusy! Very balanced approach to citrus and bitter.

M: Soft and silky on the tongue

D: I want to drink this all day long.

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of the best I.P.A.s, and one of the best overall beers I have ever had! This one is as hopped up as Rob Ford at a crack house during one of his drunken stupors. Much like the Toronto Mayor, this one will knock you down if you are not careful! The look and the smell are just as intoxicating as the brew itself. I would like to proclaim that it possesses the perfect I.P.A. aroma! I love the racer theme bottle and pretty much everything about this beer...except for the price unfortunately. It is definitely worth ten dollars for a six pack, but just as much as steak dinner is worth the price, it is not practical to have all of time. This is worthy of being called the steak dinner of beers, and I would highly X 5 recommend it.

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer has an ugly label. But don't be fooled, it hides a really fantastic beer. Yum. Smells great, tastes better.

Two hundred and fifty characters eh? Ok, um, dark amber, sort of like, beerish, color. Tastes like IPA. Great burp taste too. Do not discount that.

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured into an Ommegang Chalice.

A-Opaque golden-orange with great "straight line" carbonation. Some chunks of hop/yeast goodness present. 1" white merangue foam on top, excellent lacing: by the finish sides of glass are coated all the way down with thick ropes of lace. Mmmmm.
S-This beer smells fantastic. Citrus/Grapefruit hop lovers dream come true= My dream come true, too.
T-This is my idea of a great California IPA, an orchard of citrus, some pine, some grass, malts there in a hop supporting role, but mostly beautiful let-me-appreciate-this-moment citrus hops. Did I mention citrus? The bitterness in this IPA just rules, and I could make some uneducated guesses to which high I.B.U. west coast hops were involved in making this awsome IPA (Columbus and Cascade?), but no, I think i'd really rather enjoy this beer....sometimes writing a review is more fun that drinking the beer, but with this Bear Republic Gem, that is not the case. This beer is one on the reasons I entered "American IPA" in my profile; it's better than looking at "apparently, none," right? Right. This beer finishes semi-sweet/semi dry, and if that's a peculiar statement, so's the fact that 7% alcohol is nowhere to be found. Christ, I want more...
M-Good mouthfeel. Smooth light/medium body.
D-An IPA lover's wet dream.

CRUX: AWSOME WEST COAST IPA. As Stone Ruination has become impossible to find around here, this has taken it's place in my DBF where it's ALWAYS at hand, and my world is all the richer... With this and their masterpiece "Hop Rod Rye" in their portfolio, Bear Republic is indeed a WORLD CLASS BREWERY. REALLY, REALLY GOOD STUFF: I wish my voice was loud enough to sing their praises. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

The vibrant orange color mixed with the unfiltered haziness looks like a lava lamp from a distance. This one poured a big thick head that leaves large webs of lace. The smell of fresh grapefruit and fresh melons,and floral accents. Bright citrus fruit and hoppy sting on the palate. The mouthfeel is lacking some malt-backbone for you traditional types. But if your a true hop head this over the top assault of hops is just for you! I also like that the abv. is not to high. very drinkable at 7%.abv. The fruit and hops aftertaste last for a long time. What a great find!

4.77/5  rDev +13.8%

12oz into an Allagash Tulip. Bottled on 10/18/10.

Pours an attractive golden orange. A frothy one finger head falls into the beer, leaving sticky lacing in its place.

Aroma is fantastic. Bright citrus hops erupt from the golden liquid, mingling with a barely present alcohol element.

Taste is among the best American IPAs I've had. A sharp bitter bite gives way to juicy, juicy hops. The bitterness gives way to a slight sweetness before morphing back into a slightly bitter aftertaste. This is a classic west coast citrus bomb.

Mouth is pretty much perfect, and I could drink this one all day. Easily A top 5 American IPA, in the same league with Sculpin, 2 Hearted, and other highly heralded IPAs.

Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.