Racer 5 India Pale Ale - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD
2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show
2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer 5 India Pale Ale Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -58.2%

NonicPanic, Dec 05, 2013

thebeeler, Aug 31, 2013
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Jan 29, 2013

Invictys, Apr 14, 2012

It is my moral duty to let you guys know that racer 5 recipe has changed. Do not waste your time with this beer. It is not longer an "A" grade beer. All the reports you see here are BS by people who dont know what they are talking about. It is disgusting and nothing compared to what it was prior to april 14th batch. I am here to tell you DO NOT BUY so they can make the old one.

I'm not lying.

I demand the old racer 5 come back!

My review

The beer is dry and lighter than before. Is lacking body.

The beer is now clear and not hazy

The aromatic hops are way weaker now and smells falt. Before it had cirtus and even orange aroma.

Please do not support this companies.

supra429, Sep 08, 2010

Beer_Belly, Mar 21, 2013

Gillisland, Aug 25, 2012

RobertColianni, Nov 11, 2012

rah1734bones, Apr 01, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -48.7%

From a 12 oz bottle into 8oz beer glass and 4 oz beer glass - split
2/11/11

A - one glass nice clear amber color / 2nd glass murky orange amber color with tons of sediment and floaters - no shaking or hard pour -

S - Very nice citrus smell, no hop bitterness or maltiness present at all

T - Light hop bitterness with very light citrus after taste - this tasted like leftover hop water -

M - Very light mouthfeel - little to no carbonation -

D - Tried this at BevMo on tasting day a while back and don't remember it being bad - actually bought the 12oz single that day to try at home - maybe this is an old bottle, bad cap, faded out? Didn't see a date on the bottle on the look I gave it - kept it as I like to keep the labels -
I'll change the review if I get the opportunity to try this again at home from a bottle in the future --

MrHirschybar, Feb 14, 2011
2.24/5  rDev -46.5%

JohnBradSC, Aug 18, 2014

Poondagoon, Jul 19, 2014

Cjdking, Feb 25, 2013

TheMcTwaten, Dec 05, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -45.1%

A - Dark honey color with a decent head, slight haze. Head was quick to dissapate.

S - Rather astringent smell with little hop flower detecable.

T - Like an overhopped pale ale, not a very good IPA. No complexity to the hop character, just unpleasant bitterness.

M - Thin for an IPA, light carbonation.

D - I didn't want to finish my 22 oz. bottle.

I was really looking forward to this beer as I have heard many good things about the brewery. I was very disappointed.

FACSman, Mar 30, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -45.1%

Still do not have a taste for these overly hoppy IPAs. I like the look, nice gold with lots of floaties from the bottle conditioning. The piney aroma is not overbearing. The taste gets better as you go but I am still not a fan of chewing pine needles. I would never buy any of these, but will drink one occasionally when offered in a trade.

confer, Oct 14, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -42.2%

Serving: A 12oz glass at Frisco Burrito (a great pub) in Columbia, Maryland.

Appearance: It looked like any other pale ale except I've seen Industrial Light Lagers with a better head.

Aroma: It had that great IPA aroma screaming: "Hey, Hop Head, can you take it." OTOH once you got passed the hops, it said vegetables.

Taste: Disappointing. It tasted like an overhopped pale ale without a malt backbone.

Mouthfeel: Somewhere between thinner and thinnest

Overall: It was the thinest IPA I have ever tasted.

RDAdams, Feb 05, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -40.8%

Not much to say for this beer. It's a typical West Coast IPA drowned in hops. All the usual notes - pine, citrus, some sweetness. Good carbonation. Nice looking beer. I probably won't have another one for a couple years. Not nearly enough flavor balance. Give me a Dogfish 90 minute. Or a Pliny.

waltonc, Sep 06, 2008

dankjohn, Aug 21, 2013

mac10thmtn, Jan 08, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -40.3%

I bought this beer on vacation and had very high hopes. Split between myself and two other avid beer enjoyers.

All of us were in agreement that it was just an okay IPA. Poured into tulips, very minimal head. Appearance was nice with a darker orange/amber color.

Taste was not fully there, hops on the front not too citrusy and tastes left mouth almost as soon as I swallowed it.

All were in agreement it was just okay - and being able to have the option to try anyother IPA blindly in front of us over that one would do so.

byteme94, Jul 08, 2011

nicholas527, Jan 22, 2012

ititani, Oct 23, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -38.4%

This is my second time trying Racer 5, the first being on tap. I remember it tasting better than this, maybe this is one that is better kegged? Smell is tasty enough, very piney, but the taste is off a bit to me. It seems like the alpha acid levels are out of wack with the rest of the beer. The mouthfeel is not right either, not enough carbonation (which could explain the mysterious lack of head too). Overall, I am very disappointed with this, but may give it another try on tap.

editing this review down as I could not even finish the bottle.

audiojon, Jun 03, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -36%

Dark gold with less than one finger of white foam, and decent retention. The aroma has some citrus hops, and pine. Not as strong of an aroma as I expected.

The taste is just like the aroma. Very bitter, no balancing malt. A little too bitter for my taste. Grapefruit peeling and pine flavors, not much else

High carbonation, dry, with a long bitter finish. I like hoppy bitter beers, but not bitterness which lacks complexity. I also don't like for a beer to be astringent. Not something I would seek out again.

hardy008, Sep 12, 2010
Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.