Racer 5 India Pale Ale - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-27-2002

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD
2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show
2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer 5 India Pale Ale Alström Bros
2.17/5  rDev -48.2%

From a 12 oz bottle into 8oz beer glass and 4 oz beer glass - split
2/11/11

A - one glass nice clear amber color / 2nd glass murky orange amber color with tons of sediment and floaters - no shaking or hard pour -

S - Very nice citrus smell, no hop bitterness or maltiness present at all

T - Light hop bitterness with very light citrus after taste - this tasted like leftover hop water -

M - Very light mouthfeel - little to no carbonation -

D - Tried this at BevMo on tasting day a while back and don't remember it being bad - actually bought the 12oz single that day to try at home - maybe this is an old bottle, bad cap, faded out? Didn't see a date on the bottle on the look I gave it - kept it as I like to keep the labels -
I'll change the review if I get the opportunity to try this again at home from a bottle in the future --

2.24/5  rDev -46.5%

2.34/5  rDev -44.2%

A - Dark honey color with a decent head, slight haze. Head was quick to dissapate.

S - Rather astringent smell with little hop flower detecable.

T - Like an overhopped pale ale, not a very good IPA. No complexity to the hop character, just unpleasant bitterness.

M - Thin for an IPA, light carbonation.

D - I didn't want to finish my 22 oz. bottle.

I was really looking forward to this beer as I have heard many good things about the brewery. I was very disappointed.

2.36/5  rDev -43.7%

Still do not have a taste for these overly hoppy IPAs. I like the look, nice gold with lots of floaties from the bottle conditioning. The piney aroma is not overbearing. The taste gets better as you go but I am still not a fan of chewing pine needles. I would never buy any of these, but will drink one occasionally when offered in a trade.

2.44/5  rDev -41.8%

Serving: A 12oz glass at Frisco Burrito (a great pub) in Columbia, Maryland.

Appearance: It looked like any other pale ale except I've seen Industrial Light Lagers with a better head.

Aroma: It had that great IPA aroma screaming: "Hey, Hop Head, can you take it." OTOH once you got passed the hops, it said vegetables.

Taste: Disappointing. It tasted like an overhopped pale ale without a malt backbone.

Mouthfeel: Somewhere between thinner and thinnest

Overall: It was the thinest IPA I have ever tasted.

2.54/5  rDev -39.4%

Not much to say for this beer. It's a typical West Coast IPA drowned in hops. All the usual notes - pine, citrus, some sweetness. Good carbonation. Nice looking beer. I probably won't have another one for a couple years. Not nearly enough flavor balance. Give me a Dogfish 90 minute. Or a Pliny.

2.56/5  rDev -38.9%

I bought this beer on vacation and had very high hopes. Split between myself and two other avid beer enjoyers.

All of us were in agreement that it was just an okay IPA. Poured into tulips, very minimal head. Appearance was nice with a darker orange/amber color.

Taste was not fully there, hops on the front not too citrusy and tastes left mouth almost as soon as I swallowed it.

All were in agreement it was just okay - and being able to have the option to try anyother IPA blindly in front of us over that one would do so.

2.62/5  rDev -37.5%

This is my second time trying Racer 5, the first being on tap. I remember it tasting better than this, maybe this is one that is better kegged? Smell is tasty enough, very piney, but the taste is off a bit to me. It seems like the alpha acid levels are out of wack with the rest of the beer. The mouthfeel is not right either, not enough carbonation (which could explain the mysterious lack of head too). Overall, I am very disappointed with this, but may give it another try on tap.

editing this review down as I could not even finish the bottle.

2.7/5  rDev -35.6%

Dark gold with less than one finger of white foam, and decent retention. The aroma has some citrus hops, and pine. Not as strong of an aroma as I expected.

The taste is just like the aroma. Very bitter, no balancing malt. A little too bitter for my taste. Grapefruit peeling and pine flavors, not much else

High carbonation, dry, with a long bitter finish. I like hoppy bitter beers, but not bitterness which lacks complexity. I also don't like for a beer to be astringent. Not something I would seek out again.

2.71/5  rDev -35.3%

Very thick, frothy head. Very small amount of carbonation.

Smell is different. And lacking hops. Smells oily, soapy, and metallic.

Finally, hops. Nowhere near what I want. Hop oils are dominant, with a very slick soapy feeling taking over. It's like a jumbled mess of an IPA. I finally get why twaddlac hated this thing. The aroma hops are AWOL. Light body.

2.73/5  rDev -34.8%

A popular but in my mind mediocre West Coast IPA. In some cases, like with BR's Hop Rod Rye, balanced is good in that the ingredients all contribute to a nice, complex brew. In Racer 5's case, it has been balanced into insipidness. Not nearly enough hop complexity for hop-heads, and there is an odd brackish taste at the front end of the palate as well. Very disappointing.

2.75/5  rDev -34.4%

I poured this hopped up beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was hoppy smelling and poured a cloudy wheat looking color. The smell and taste also was like it had pineapple in it and was fruity beyond what I like tasting. I will not buy again.

2.75/5  rDev -34.4%

Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.