Racer 5 India Pale Ale - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-27-2002

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD
2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show
2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer 5 India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,243 | Hads: 7,213
4.16/5  rDev -0.7%

22 oz. bottle. Lovely strong aroma of sweet malt and pineapple citrus hops. Beautiful clear golden color with a substantial sticky white head that forms a web down the glass. Quite bitter but even more sweet. Full bodied and smooth with a long finish that manages to be both sweet and bitter. Finely crafted but a bit too sweet for my taste.

4.99/5  rDev +19.1%

Just such a great beer. So big and bold and fits the area in which it is brewed. Big hop notes center around a balanced malt character with a nice finish. Two of these and you're set. Such a nice change when you are touring around the area drinking other AIPAs too. Not to say the other are crap, this is just a different and well-rounded beer.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Awesome! This beer is an extremely pleasant surprise. It pours a golden honey color, not super clear, but you can tell it means business. The aroma is perfect. Hoppy and clean. And then the taste backs it up. This one talks the talk, and walks the walk too.

Very very good.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy white head that lingers around for a while before forming a nice ring. Nice lacing on the glass as well. Nose is pine, grapefruit and citrus. Taste is all about hops with a pine taste, and nice balancing sweetness. Mouthfeel is medium, and drinkability is high.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Just shared a Lenny RIPA and a HOP STOOPID for the first time and although satisfied, I'm jonesing for a Racer5 on deck.

My goto is Bell's 2H, but to all hop seekers who haven't found Utopia, please enjoy an R5 if you can.

It's still in the fridge and I haven't had one since a visit to Yardhouse San Diego months ago, but I will tell you it satisfies everything you need if you love hop slanted monster IPAs.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Bear Republic Racer 5.. Enjoyed out of my Sam Adams Glass (which I absolutely love) listening to some random techno album. Picked up in trade with wiebull

Appearance: One finger head, fades quick but doesn't die. Pure golden color. There is a light haze.

Aroma: Big hoppy nose. Aggressive floral notes that have been punched in the face with a grapefruit.

Flavor: Bold hoppy flavor up front that dies off little bit but picks up in to big and beautiful finish. Very floral on the finish, dries out and becomes a lingering soft bitter.

Mouth Feel: Up front is a distinct west coast hoppyness that coast the mouth. This one might be a tought over carbonated for the amount of flavors that are jam packed in there.

Drinkability: I wish I could get it in Boise Thank you again Jason for hooking me up! I would love to buy a six pack of this beer and hike up to the top of camelsback at dust and share with fellow with fellow BA's and enjoy a fine Idaho sunset.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

As soon as I cracked this open wafts of hops hit me and it was incredible. this is the classic IPA. The hops were not listed, my pet peeve with IPAs... Hoppy, amazing aromas and lingering finish! I was expected something huge though based on the aromas.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Great appearance, cloudy and deep gold. Head and lacing were minimal, maybe because I had it super-cold.

The aroma is good, hoppy and fruity.

The taste is great! Kind of like a mini Pliny, with nice fruity, hoppy flavors and a smooth finish with no hop-bitterness build-up, and no honey flavor to mask the fruit/hops.

I will buy more of this to enjoy this summer!!

I give this beer a 5 based on it's representation of what I feel an IPA should be. I typically do not prefer IPAs and I actually find this one very enjoyable.

All I have to say is that it looks tantalizing and retains an amazing, creamy head to the end. Nice medium carbonation can be seen through the clear amber. The smell is sweet with strong tropical fruit hop smell. The taste is a spot-on balance of sweet maltiness and piney/tropical hop bitterness that sits just right, not too bitter and minimal bitter finish. It feels thick and chewy but not overbearing. It is truly an easy, smooth drinker with a slight resinous and oily feel to chew on. I gotta say I really like this one and will be the only IPA other than Pliny that I would actually purchase.

3.62/5  rDev -13.6%

This IPA pours golden with a slight amber tone with a constant, champagne-like strands of carbonation from the bottom of your glass, culminating in a large, frothy head that sticks around longer than expected.

The aroma is a full on assault of fruit-like hops. I was hoping that the flavor would somehow meet up with my expectations after smelling this beer, but it starts with a moderate carmel maltiness transitioning to a too mild hop flavor and overdone bitterness. I personally would have liked a bit more hop flavor in this IPA, rather than just the lingering bitterness that this brew provides. The bitterness of the aftertaste in this beer is a bit overwhelming to the mild sweetness of the malt.

This is a tasty IPA, but fell below my expectations. Drinkability suffers due to the lack of real hop flavor and hearty, lingering bitterness.

4.41/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours glowing amber from 22 oz bottle. Enormous, creamy, delicious head grows with time. The taste is fantastic -- for lack of better descriptors, it tastes like a west coast Two Hearted Ale. Mouthfeel is smooth, a little sticky, and lingering. I would gladly drink this regularly, and probably will. Great new (to STL) IPA for the rotation.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy amber with a 1/2 finger head - good lacing

The scent is mild citrus with toasted malt - I am guessing not much dry hopping on this one.

The taste is sweet, with carmel and malt upfront - surprising slight bittering hops. Guessing this is nugget hops (more earthy than citrus for sure)

Medium body, moderate carbonation, good mouth feel

This was a good IPA, but it tasted more like an imperial pale (i.e. not very hoppy compared to other AmericanIPAs

A pleasant brew but not strong on the hops. Well rounded beer that I'd enjoy anytime but nothing that blew me away. I'd like to try this beer on tap.

This beer has your typical color and head. All round great beer. Too bad this does not come in a 24 pack as I would definitely rate it above most IPAs in the market today.

3.51/5  rDev -16.2%

22oz bottle. Duvel glass. No best by/bottled on date.

A - Pours a very clear golden straw color. A nearly white two finger head reduces to half a fingers width after a minute and leaves minimal lacing.

S - Smells of pine-resin-hoppiness with some floral notes. Possibly a hint of sweetness. Not overly complex but nice and inviting.

T - Very nice. It has a good balance of hops to malt. It's not cloying at all but it is sweeter than I expected. The hops are there, but they don't hang around long.

M - Medium mouthfeel. Very crisp, refreshing, and smooth.

D - Very drinkable. Perhaps this bottle is a little old. That could explain the mellowness of the hops. Of course, having been drinking mostly imperial IPA's lately my palate could be off. No matter, this is a very good beer.

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

A: very nice cloudy orange hue with about half an inch of foam and lots of lacing

S: you can pick up on some lemon and grapefruit scents, maybe even some caramel; not much hop aroma

T: very crisp citrus taste with hop flavor bursting through at the end

M: very crisp and clean; perfect level of carbonation

O: Bear Republic beers all have a very distinguishable taste; it's the essence of California. No matter what your preference is, definitely check this one out.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Served chilled from a 12oz Brown bottle no date.

A: Pours a beautiful golden copper colour. Fairly light. Very small amount of head from pour. Amazing lace on side walls of glass, almost leaves a film on the glass like oil and water.

S: Smells of a good quality home brew. Hops stand out, with hints of fruits and spices. Smells slightly better than the average IPA.

T and M: Just right, easily drinkable. Not to bi
tter but just right. Tastes almost creamy. Small hint of alcohol but not over powering.

O: First beer I have had from Bear Public. After reading so many good things I had to give it a try, and I must say I'm not disappointed. This is a high quality IPA.

I would recommend this beer to a friend.

2.98/5  rDev -28.9%

I have drank Racer 5 on multiple occasions and often hear it acclaimed but I can't say it has ever inspired me. I finally decided to pay more attention to Race 5. While enjoying the aromatics, I find the rest of it rather ordinary and a bit out of balance. It also leaves me wanting a more complexity. The bitterness on the finish seems out of place. Happy to drink if it is served to me but not a beer I will be purchasing with my own money.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

a-golden/orange with a nice bubbly white head

s-nice hoppy citrus and pine aroma, not much else comes through

t-bitterness takes over, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's not too bitter though, and finishes really nicely. Although for being a West Coast IPA it's definitely on the more mellow side of things, and does a nice job balancing the hoppy bitterness.

m-medium body, good carbonation, good balance followed with a nice dry, bitter finish.

d-a solid beer which goes down pretty easy, but not enough complexity of flavor and hops to keep me coming back for more than a bomber.

overall-being one of the easier to find IPAs around here, I wouldn't hesitate to pick this one up again.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Appearance: Somewhere between a straw-gold and tangerine with crisp, white head and clean, tight carbonation. The photo above doesn't do the beer justice (so much for trying out the camera phone!).

Smell: Huge citrus hops, reminiscent of Bell's Hop Slam. Pineapple and grapefruit, with the slightest earthy hints deep below and whiffs of caramel as it warms.

Taste: Huge hop explosion--pineapple and mango citrus flavors that demolish the taste buds; well-supported by a solid but unobtrusive moderate malt flavor. The sweet citrus upfront transforms into a dry, earthy hop flavor in the finish--reminds me of the taste of raw hop pellets.

Mouthfeel: moderate--carbonation supports hop flavor

Drinkability: Easy to drink, despite high alpha acids; well-balanced and hides the alcohol well. The finish is a tad much for me towards the end of the glass. That being said, I could still drink a couple of these, although it would have to be toward the end of the evening, so that I don't suffer palate fatigue.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Racer pours with an awesome amount of light and fluffy head that stays around a long time. No kidding, I got at least 3 fingers of head, with a conservative pour.

Carbonation in this particular brew was very high, in fact a bit too much for me, it interrupted the srinkability slightly.

As far as IPA's go, this one is a cadillac, very smooth, the grassy hop smell hits you when you open the bottle and doesn't dissapoint. However, the hops do bite you late in the palate and they give way to an ultimate finish of malty biscuit.

Definitely a piney IPA finish that is very nicely rounded out for a smooth drinker. Rare case of a very drinkable IPA

This is a very smooth and drinkable IPA, personally a little too soft for my tastes but nonetheless a good brew.

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%

22 oz. bottle. Poured into pint glass.

Appearance: 2" dense head. Racer 5 is caramel colored, with a hint of hazy orange. The head left substantial lacing down the glass as the beer was consumed.

Smell: Hello hoppery!! Nice orange and grapefruit notes weave their way through the waves of hops that pervade the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy bodied. A bit resinous.

Taste: Immediately, the hops are bracingly bitter (they do soften out a bit as the beer warms). The hops quickly step aside to reveal a resinous mid-pallate that is predominated by hops. It's really hard to find any element of sweetness in this beer. Grapefruit rind predominates a finish that lasts more than 30 seconds, with hints of the 7.0% ABV providing sturdy support. Racer 5 is surely one of my favorite IPA's. It's full and bold enough to shine above many Double IPA's I've had, and at 7.0% it doesn't hit you quite as hard.

Drinkability: I could easily drink 3 or 4 of these in an evening...but I'd probably pay for it the next day. This is not a light beer, and probably wouldn't be the best choice for a session beer, no matter how badly you want it to be. Besides not being a wimpy IPA, this beer is entirely drinkable!

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

poured into a smuttynose pint glass from a 12oz bottle purchased at Julio's in Westborough, MA.

Almost no head to speak of, just a very thin, bright white layer of foam that barely covers the beer and dissipates quickly, leaving a very thin ring around the edge of the beer as I drink it. Not a bad color, sort of a light orange. Looks like an ipa.

Smells pretty good, some citrus and fruit hops coming through. Not real intense but some nice smells going on.

Kind of basic, light mouthfeel, pretty bitter hops in the middle and the finish, a little sweetness in the front. Hops are just nice and bitter, not really any fruit coming through and the malt shows up a little in the beginning but is quickly overpowered by the hops. Not an intense bitterness but kind of subdued, just enough to please a hophead but not enough to turn on someone who doesn't normally drink an ipa.no alcohol to speak of.

Kind of nice, maybe light to medium. Hops leave that bitterness on your tongue for a while but nothing cloying.

I could definitely drink a bunch of these in a sitting when it comes to flavor, probably a very nice summer time ipa, refreshing. nothing crazy going on but a solid, drinkable ipa. I'd pick up a six for a hot day but nothing that floored me, even for a regular ipa.

4.29/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

A: Small head, off white, little lacing. Typical IPA color, amber/red/brown.

S: Excellent, citrus hops, nothing complicated.

T: Pine after taste. Hops up front. Very balanced, not bitter.

M: A bit dry. Average carbonation.

O: I think this is really balanced, not over the top with the hops, not too bitter and no burn. I think this may be one to show my friends that did not like the IPA's from Stone they tried recently.

Bottle in my mix 6 at Nikki's in RI, $2.29 before discount.

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm a big fan of Racer 5... on tap. For some reason, I'm not loving this bottled experience. The aftertaste is a little more bitter than I remember, and a little too harsh for my liking. I still drinks very nicely, and smells great.

The initial taste is surprisingly smooth for the harsh aftertaste. Overall, very solid beer that I will have another one of tonight. I'll probably hesitate next time when buying in a bottle, but would definitely get again on tap.

4.51/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow. . The latest in my IPA taste comparison (bottles). Heads and shoulders above any others I've tried. Amazing from first sip to finish. Deep gold with clear, subtle carbonation. Piney citrus hops presence in the nose and a rich malt backbone. The flavors mixed and mingled on the tongue in a way that I couldn't wait for the next sip to see how it would taste. Excellent IPA. Definitely recommending this and drinking it again.

Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.