Racer 5 India Pale Ale - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-27-2002

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD
2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show
2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer 5 India Pale Ale Alström Bros

4.01/5  rDev -4.3%

Bought this 22 ounce bomber simply because I recognized it as a highly rated IPA on beeradvocate. Poured into a New Belgium beer snifter.

A- Pours a slightly hazy copper/orange color with about an inch of white foam. Large bubbles and tiny ones too. Head retreats quickly and leaves nice lacing on my glass, although I see reports of little to no lacing in other reviews. The appearance of many chunks/flakes/pieces of yeast is a little creepy, but bottle conditioned ales should show yeast. I am just not a fan of chunky looking brews. I wont hold it against this one though, since it warns you on the bottle.

S- This one might smell like pine and citrus, or I might be smelling the last really strong IPA I had in this glass. I poured it a little colder than recommended, so that might be the issue, but this thing has a very thin aroma if any.

T- I started tasting this one at around 35 degrees and tasted it through almost room temp. Early on I tasted nothing but a little fruit, but later it really opened up nicely. Grapefruit, pine, lemon peel, tangerine and fresh biscuits. Definitely has some hops in it, although it is not as bitter as I normally like.

M- By far the best trait of this one is the mouthfeel. It hits the tongue and for almost half a second it acts like its going to have more fizz than a ginger ale, but then suddenly it softens to a nice creamy feel that one might expect from a cask-conditioned ale. Very well done.

O- Overall I would say this is a winner and the high ranking on beeradvocate is well deserved. It could have been one of my all time favorites for an IPA if it had more aroma. I never did get over the lack of scent. Would purchase again to share with friends.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Star Wars Cantina glass. Orange-Gold in appearance, which is the way an IPA should look.

Well, it certainly smells great. Similar to Loose Cannon - scent is dominated by pine with a touch of citrus. As for taste, near perfect balance of flavors and bitterness. The bitterness sticks around for a few seconds after each sip which I like.

I've heard great things about this beer and it did not disappoint. However, I rank it behind Stone and Loose Cannon but not by much.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Clear beautiful yellow. Very very similar to a pils. Lots of little teeny bubble floating up. No head, no lacing.

S: Holy hops. Lots of citrusy hops. Grapefruit and grapefruit rind. Fresh grass. Butter. Tinge of malt at the very end. Tangerine.

T: Delicious!!! Beautifully balanced. Hops and malt. Grapefruit and leaves. Buttery and bready.

M: This is really thin, but it works perfectly.

O: I am taken back; this is delicious. Love it!!!

thanks redliner8!!!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Wow. I just found my favorite beer.

A gentleman at the liquor store recommended this pale ale. Mentioned that it had hints of fruity flavor.

I found it crisp, just the right amount of hoppiness, and hints of fruits ... perhaps providing a bit of sweetness to an otherwise bitter beer.

Update: 5/27/14. I think my pallette has evolved. I still like this beer, but it is definitely no longer my favorite. I find that there is a subtle metal after taste ... I notice that in a lot of the IPA's ... not sure what causes it.

Since my first evaluation, I would probably prefer the Lagunitas IPA over the Racer 5. But both are very good beers.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.