Racer 5 India Pale Ale - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-27-2002

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD
2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show
2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer 5 India Pale Ale Alström Bros

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

A: Beautiful, cloudy, rich, amber color throughout with a thick inviting head. I felt like it was going to speak to me.

S: It smells like my birthday. My birthday smells like dank citrusy hops with a pinch of flowery esters, it gives me goosebumps.

T: This beer is complex AND simple. There are more flavors then I can pick out but the citrusy and slightly herbal hops take me to my happy place. Every sip leaves me wanting more. The robust flavor is balanced and smooth.

M: Heavy and strong. This is what an IPA is supposed to feel like.

D: Leaves you craving more. Just as you start to grasp everything about the flavor its time to swallow. I have had this beer many times, I love it, it loves me and I will definitely drink it again and again.

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

A class IPA. Great look; head retention was fantastic, sexy lace. A nice mixed nose of grass, pine, hints of tropical fruits and nicely integrated malt notes. Solid bitterness and a full, well balanced mouth feel. Aftertaste is long, persistent and pleasant. Overall a really sexy beer that has balance and flavour in spades. A good benchmark.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

A- Pours a 1/2 finger sticky off white head with some clinging lace. The body is light orange/honey colored with ample yeasties holding still in suspension.

S- Good bits of pineapple, grapefruit, a bit of green apple skins, also slightly herbaceous.

T- Starts out with a very balanced malt and hopiness with notes of pine, some breadiness, alcohol is felt prior to the finish. The finish has a bit of dry maltiness but a lingering bit of anise which is kind of odd.

M- The body is big but the carbonation feels a bit low.

D- Overall, a decent IPA. I wouldn't likely have again.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

--from notes

I have had the chance to drink this beer on a number of occasions, and it always pleases. Really a great beer after it warms down a bit. Great citrusy hops. Holds the glass great, and delivers a great, dark amber color and a really fresh aroma.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a light golden/copper color with orange highlights. A little over a finger of white head, which isn't too impressive but the retention is fantastic. Lacing is persistent and clings all over the glass for the duration of the beer.

Smell: I detect some biscuity malts, and after that a lot of citrus, with some floral and piney hops. Very crisp and fresh. Makes me look forward to the first taste.

Taste: Once again, boatloads of citrus (orange, pineapple, lemon) up front and in the middle of the swallow. Very crisp flavor, with a bit of floral hops and even more piney hops on the back end. Slightly bitter finish. Super refreshing and great taste.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: A bit under medium bodied with good carbonation combines for a smooth mouthfeel. Overall, one hell of an IPA. Every time I have this I'm impressed. This beer possesses all of the qualities that I'm looking for from this style.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

shared with a mate
A- pours a golden amber, about a centimeter of head, wich slowly subsides with a tiny bit of lacing.

S- slightly minty but massive pine dominates.

T- slightly biscuity malt sweetness, but then the same piney, slightly citrusy, maybe a tad of passionfruit hopes really shine through. a fair bit of bitterness in there but its backed up by a fair bit of malt. very nice.

M- slightly thick, bitternesss really at the back of the throat, really long finish, with a slightly dry end.

D- very drinkable, dry finish makes you want to have another sip. long lasting bitterness too.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

This is delicious... I highly recommend it.

Nice foam head that last... leaves foam rings through the drink. Pours golden-yellow with a slight cloud.

Beautiful aroma. Nice citrus notes of grapefruit and pineapple. There are also hints of pine.

Taste is crisp. Has a lemony-citrus finish.

Medium body... true to category.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

22oz bottle into shaker.

This beer pours a nice darkish, murky yellow and has a very nice rocky white head. Its smells of the typical piney, fruit hops with little noticable sweetness. Taste is excellent with hops up front and a touch of malt in the background. The mouthfeel is medium body with a nice creaminess to it. Very drinkable and the ABV is at a good point. This beer is delicious and extremely well balanced. I am glad that it comes in bombers and 6 packs!

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a large wine glass. Pours a light golden color with a creamy white one-finger head. The retention is good; the lacing is really good. Some columns of carbonation are visible, as are some yeast chunks at the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Great citrus hop aroma. I'm getting some lemon, grapefruit, pineapple, and a pretty pronounced yeast aroma for an IPA (which I like!). Good balance between the hops and the malt backbone. The aroma seems to get sweeter and more floral the longer it sits.

Taste: Creamy texture and delicious! There is a pretty good punch of malt on the front end, but the hops grab hold of your tongue towards the end, ushering your taste buds into a pretty dry, bitter finish. I always enjoy it when what you taste at the beginning of the sip is far different than what you get at the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with a creamy texture and a dry, hoppy finish.

Drinkability: Very hoppy, but drinkable. Enough variance in the flavor experience to keep me interested and coming back for more.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Racer 5 India Pale Ale has a slightly-cloudy, light-orange colour and a good head and lacing. The smell is quite strong and is mostly of citrussy hops. Some malt is noticable to begin with followed by bitter hops and a delicious citrussy tang. This is a really good IPA.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

A-The beer pours an amber/dark golden color with some sediment at the bottom of the bottle. It appears that the sediment is hops rather than yeast.

S-The beer has a strong hop nose. In one sniff, you can pick out resinous vegital aromas in the background that follows a ripe fruit smell that is further surpassed by the citrus aroma of domestic style American hops. It's complex to say the least.

T-You can taste and initial malt sweetness that is followed by a definate hop bitterness that fills your mouth. As you swallow the beer, the bitterness fades towards the back of the throat.

M-It has a medium body that is accompanied by a moderate to low carbonation.

D-The beer is approachable for a new beer drinker but still retains enough characteristic hop aroma and flavor to be unique. It is a solid example of what an American style IPA should be.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz bottle to 12oz sam adams glass. 1 finger creamy off-white head, good lacing beginning to end of drink, Mildly hazy golden honey color clears up in a few minutes.

Smells of Big piney Hops, mildly sweet/sour orange zest, grapefruit, malts and mild fruit sweetness...very nice!

Taste is pine hops, then mild orange zest, orange peel with a nice smooth malt. Orange and malt sweetness lingers nicely with the hops.

Mouthfeel is lite-med body, tight tiny carbonation zip, hop bite and dryness on tongue with mild alcohol warmth.

Great Drinking ipa. flavors are well balanced. I especially enjoyed the lingering mild sweet orange peel notes & hops that linger after the finish. A definite keeper!

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Notes from 10/21/10

A:Pours a hazy orange color with a fingers worth of bubbly white head, very nice
lacing left down the glass.

S:Fills the nose with delicious citrus, tropical, and grapefruit hops. Nice sweet malts are included in the mix, very inviting.

T:Just as the nose suggest big juicy citrus/tropical hops hit the palate up front followed up by some balancing sweet malts. The backend is left with a small but pleasing
bite of bitterness.

M:A very nice body with excellent carbonation, refreshing to say the least. Palate is left a little dry but begging for more.

D:This was a super enjoyable bottle that I received in a trade, juicy hops really come
thru but are balanced out quite nicely. Easy to drink, very tasty, and as far as I know
reasonably priced. I wish Bear Republic was distrubuted in Indiana because this
would be one of my go to beers.

3.94/5  rDev -6%

Here's my first Beer Advocate review, picked this one up in a 22 oz bomber at Bevmo for around $4.

A - Pours a beautiful cloudy light orange color, massive amounts of lacing sticking down the sides of the beer indicating that this beer is extremely fresh. Mild carbonation. Looks great... one of the best looking beers I've had.

S - Picking up lots of citrus notes right off the bat, orange and lemon peel present with large pine undertone throughout each sniff. Not the most intense smelling IPA out there, but smells pleasant nonetheless. I just wish the smell was a bit stronger though.

T - A mild, malty sweetness hits right away for split second then fades away with a following pine bitterness that sticks to the back of your tongue and slowly fades away. This really reminds me of a hoppier Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, it's damn good. Not themost balanced IPA I've had, but it tastes damn good and is right there near the top as far as flavor goes.

M - Surprisingly light for the style and goes down smooth.

D - Despite it being light for the style, the beer looses points here for moderate ABV% and bitterness that stays around for a while. It has decent drinkability, but also definitely not sessionable. Mid of the road for this category. Also, it's a bit pricey compared to some other comparable beers so I don't know if you'd want to spend that much to session this anyways.

All in all, it's a pretty good beer though. I'd definitely pick it up again if I wanted a solid IPA that goes down smooth and isn't overly bitter. I liked it alot and I'd recommend it to any IPA fan. It's worth a try, pick it up if you see it.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

A: First of all, I don't know if I got a funny bottle or what, but this beer was straight up chunky. Not "just a little sediment at the bottom", but large off-putting blobs of what I hope and assume was yeast throughout the glass, in suspension, after I poured it into a stein. I actually strained it into a another glass.

S: Good mostly. Sweeter smelling than most IPAs.

T: Very good! Clean and sweet with the hops coming through strong at the very end in the aftertaste.

M: Creamy and rich.

D: I could session these, but I would have to take the time to strain it. Ugh.

Had on tap last night.

Appearance - Given to me in a standard pint glass, with about a finger of head that dissipates relatively fast leaving little lacing.

Smell - Grapefruit, pint, and hops. Slight malt backbone.

Taste - Similar to the nose. Bitter fruits, pine, hops. Not much malt backbone. A very hop forward beer.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, dry finish.

Drinkability - Relatively so. Drank this quite easily. Yes, as I always freaking say, I would chose many other IPA's out there rather than this, but hey, not bad on tap and would get again if there was nothing better to drink.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

I didn't find this IPA as nice as the other Bear republic brews.. but still an excellent brew. Deep copper color with ample froth which lightly laced the glass. Nose is hoppy with pine really standing out. A gentle bitterness which is nice and the way I personally like IPA's to be. Good to the finish with consistent flavor throughout.

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%

First off, let me say that IPAs are usually not my go-to style. More often than not, I reach for a porter or a stout. That being said, on to the review.

I've had this on tap as well, but will be reviewing from a 12oz bottle pour. Settled nicely into my Milwaukee Brewers pint glass. A dark golden orangish glow filled it immediately, with about an inch or so of white, foamy, crackling head. Glorious.

Fruity notes of pine, lemon, and a blast of fresh hops overload my senses immediately. The freshness literally packs a wallop.

The taste, oh the taste. At first, your tongue gives way to a piney citrus character. It sits for a few sweet seconds, then gives way to a sharp, bitter note in the finish. This beer is remarkable. So much complexity upon first few sips. Drinking this beer is like riding a carousel. Hops, sweetness, slight bitterness; repeat. (For best results, do not drink riding on a carousel)

A medium-body to the beer just makes you want to drink more. The perfect amount of carbonation here. Not overbearing as some IPAs tend to be.

By far my favorite IPA. Could drink these forever and not grow tired of it. Alcohol is VERY well masked at 7%. If you can pick some up, I highly recommend doing so.

4.65/5  rDev +11%

A pretty nearly white head which fades to a thin bubbly layer. Leaves nice lacing but head retention isn't superb. Pieces of hop material floating around too. I like that, lets me know what I'm in for.

As soon as I popped the bottle the aroma jumped out at me. Reminds me a little of stone ipa, however the citrus notes have more juice and apparent sweetness to them. I also get a peach note, as well as some caramel and apricot. Very god damn good.

At this point im pretty annoyed that this is only the first time i've had this. This is god damn awesome. First up is a juicy peach/apricot/citrus hop flavour, backed up by some slightly short-bread and caramel like sweetness. Following that is a big slap of pine and grapefruit and some bitterness. Love it.

Thin, but not watery. Clean and zesty on the palate. Near perfect for an IPA.

I am going to have to chain myself down after this to stop myself grabbing another. It's that delicious.

4.36/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 oz. bottle

A- Orange tinged light amber, a nice head that doesn't quite fully dissipate, and leaves beautiful lacing down my mug.

S-Piney/Grapefruit Hops. That's about it, the low spot of the beer.

T- LOVE the flavor complexity of racer five. Initial Pine/Grapefruit hops, much like the nose, but then it smooths out to a biscuit malt flavor with that wonderful apricot sweetness. Ends with a bitterness/dryness that's just enough to make you want the next sip.

M- feels thicker than it looks with just enough carbonation. Almost creamy initially in the mouth.

D- Really, really nice change up from most IPA's. Highly drinkable.

I really enjoy this as a change up to the normal Dogfish Head 60 min, Smuttynose, and Victory Hop Devil that are readily available in my area.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

-what an IPA should look like. lighter in color than most...like it's supposed to be. (yellowy gold in my irises) tall white fluffy head with awesome retention and lacing

-hops right up front with a little malt in the back

-good apricot hop taste. a bit bitter in the end but not too hard

-pretty big body and somewhat thick for the style. i like it. rich, not too carby

-solid go to IPA in my area. better than lagunitas, obviously not as good as russian river, but i always enjoy it

4.15/5  rDev -1%

On tap poured into a 16 oz straight sided bar glass. Nice golden orange with intiial finger head that dropped to maybe half a finger, then dissipated completed when I was half way through the glass. Good carbonation visible through the clear beer.

Citrus peel dominates the nose, mostly grapefruit and orange peel.

The taste follows the nose exactly, nicely bitter from the citrus like hops. Not quite as vibrant in those qualities as I've had with other west coast IPA's, but still pretty good. The carbonation did a good job of cleansing the palate, with only a very brief bitter aftertaste.

A light bodied beer with good carbonation. Very drinkable, and affordable as a session beer. Pretty widely available here in the Bay Area.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Got this on a Wisconsin beer run. Pours with a nice big head that stuck around for quite a while. The flavor is mostly hops with a light bready malt that barely fought its way through - you get more malt as this warms which I think improves the flavor. The hop here are mostly bitter with a very little sweet charatcer that helps to round it out. I thought this was a very good beer but I don't know if I'd make it a regular. There are just too many others that I prefer to it.

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%

Wow this is a very good IPA! The color is a nice amber with a nice head which quickly diminishes leaving a beatiful lacing around the glass. The smell is awesome not over powered by hops as some others do. The taste is exceptional one of the best IPA's I've had. I wish I had another one however sadly I don't. This beer is truely worth getting.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Chimay goblet. Pours an orange amber with a decent head, nice lacing. Fruity, hoppy aroma, lots of great piney and grapefruit smells going on here. Really solid beer from start to finish, probably much better fresh on the West Coast, but a really nice beer overall.

Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.