Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Racer 5 India Pale Ale | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD
2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show
2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD

Added by kbub6f on 03-27-2002

Reviews: 2,268 | Ratings: 7,369
3.6/5  rDev -14.1%

Dark orangey apricot color with a beige thick, oily looking head that clings to the sides of the glass. Aroma is of hops, honey, pear, and alcohol in equal amounts. Flavor is not very hoppy, but has hints of orange peel and honey and some floral notes. There is a distinct alcohol flourish in the back of the tongue in the finish, and it also lingers afterward. Mouthfeel is a little watery, a bit low on carbonation. Tasty beer, but needs more balance. The flavor is overpowered by the alcohol.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Found this for $1.99 a single. Nice all around, but nothing to special. Grapefruit notes, some alcohol warmth, but easy enough to consume. Less malt balance than some other seven percent IPAs. However, nothing blew me away but would try more from Bear Republic.

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber into a Chimay glass.

Appearance: Dark orange with a nice frothy white head, with a nice trail of lace. Retains light lace on the top of the beer.

Smell: Smells like unspiced, spiked apple cider. Crisp, citrus, a tad oily and strong alcohol.

Taste: Strong hops, very smooth, light bitters and a pungent body with hints of apple, orange, and barley residue.

Mouthfeel: Good in the mouth, but descends to overly hoppy and a bit strong alcohol-wise on the back end.

Drinkability: Strong finish, but inherently and unabashedly smooth.

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours a bright golden color with a medium size white soapy head that leaves ample lacing.

Aromas begin with a ton of grapefruit and lemony hops, some pine, with a lightly sweet crackery pale malt backbone.

The tastes follow the nose with huge grapefruit and floral hop flavors assaulting the palate leaving a great deal of lingering bitterness. Not much malt backbone even as it warms as the aromas slightly suggested.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. The finish is pretty dark bitter and becomes a challenge to enjoy more and more as it warms.

Overall this is just not a very drinkable/enjoyable beer as I find with most West Coast single IPAs. The flavors are all hops and no malt with little balance; great for some, not for me.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass after dinner, served at 45F.

A - Flat golden-blonde pour leaves almost nothing up top, looks lethargic and watery honestly. Lots of snowy unfiltered goodness though.

S - Mostly floral, some caramel sugar, a little hop pineyness.

T -Sweet honey citrus backed up by some hop bitterness.

M - Not at all unpleasant but pretty unremarkable. It just one of those.

O - Dialed back in every respect from my experiences in IPAs, I think that is exactly against the grain of West Coast IPAs in general. Not a fan. Heres one for people who say "I love IPAS, just dont like the hoppy tasting ones". What?

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Honey colored with large-bubbled head which leaves a bit of lacing after sinking to a thin coating.
S: Grass, pine, tarweed.
T: Crisp with good body and decent malt.
M: Lively, smooth.
D: Great daily drinker for 4.50 a 22oz bottle.

I am not a huge IPA fan, but this one does the trick especially at this price.

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Better upfront to confess my bias: I don't like ale loaded with hops as an escape from the work of learning how they interplay with malts.
So, Racer 5 gets a brief review.
First, I had it in their brewpub in Healdsburg several years ago and that experience was good.
Second, this was on one of my lists.

I now note when a beer is listed in one of my three books comprising my classical beer education.
"1001 Beers To Taste Before You Die", page 471.

look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: A very light golden hue with a light film and nice lacing.

S: Very light floral and citrus notes that were very hard to discern.

T: The hops finally come through and are apparent here. It has a very even keel of a hop profile throughout. A good blend of pine and citrus.

M: Very smooth with light bubbles. It was easy going down but got harsher as it warmed.

O: Not a bad IPA, but I would like to try it in a bottle. It came across as a very light IPA. The smell was almost non-existent, but it may have been a bad pour or something from the tap.

3.59/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: poured four times into my toothbrush holder plastic tumbler (hotel room in San Fran) on 4 Feb 2013.

Pale amber body with an off-white head.

Hoppy, bitter and dry tasting: I'd had it in a sink full of ice while we went out and I thought it got better as it warmed, when cold it had little to no bite from its hoppiness, once a bit warmer the hops really asserted themselves and they came alive.

I'm not a huge 'hop monster' but I thought this was very drinkable in deed.

3.59/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Living in SF and Marin County, I have been drinking Racer 5 for years. Prior to 2010 it was my favorite go to IPA. While it is still decent, it changed dramatically at that time and was never the same. There are a variety of hops listed but overall taste is fairly uniform and one dimensional. Upfront bite but aromas not overly complex or intriguing. It used to be more on a level like sculpin. I now view it slightly above Lagunitas as a highly accessible reasonably priced local beer. My guess is they changed things as they ramped production. Still like it and get it from time to time but view more as a baseline IPA than something special.

3.59/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured from a 22-oz bottle. Served in glass.

A: Hmm, looks like a primary fermenter on day 5. More particulate action than I wanted. Hazy orange hue - 1.5 finger head - lacy
S: Really pleasant delicate hop bite - piney for sure. Nicely balanced with malt touches.
T: I have always really dug this beer. Its quite tasty, but as I tuned in, I was surprised at how poorly the alcohol is masked. Quite a bit. I wouldn't notice it after 2 beers @ 7%.
M: Ok.
O: Yummy, very drinkable beer that is light but potent. Pretty yummy hop blend overall.

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

A: A light gold / somewhat murky straw colour... a good, bubbly, insanely sticky head. Quite nice.

S: Somewhat sharp grapefruit/pine blend in the aroma, along with some citrus peel. Crisp and clean.

T: Pretty aggressive... huge, full hops explosion. Maybe a little overwhelming, and a bit unbalanced to my palate. Lots of the grapefruit taste, almost like it came complete with the peel. A bit of the taste that I have only been able to compare to 'eating a joint.'

M: A pretty full body, maybe a little sticky/tacky towards the finish.

D: This is perhaps a case where it's 'bigger is not necessarily better' for me. It could be a case of needing to be in the mood for the hops assault, but this is one I think I may hesitate on in the future. I really enjoyed their stout, though, so it hasn't thrown me off the brewery.

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

I partook of this on tap at Bear Republic. Its appearance was that of clover honey with not much of a head to speak of.

The nose I can only describe as that of a sticky marijuana plant. Not that I know what one smells like. I’ve been to the Haight one too many times.

The hop flavors come through strongly. I think there is a hop stuck in my teeth! There are some biscuity malt flavors somewhere in the background struggling to make themselves heard. An exceedingly dry finish.

Overall, a bit too hoppy for my liking. Could use a bit more balance. It literally tastes like hops steeped in boiling water. Introducing the worlds first IPA Iced Tea!

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

A: BIG, BIG white fluffy head. Disapates very, very slowly leaving lots of lacing. Golden orange in color with millians of little bubbles racing to the top. Head never goes away and stays until the last drop.

S: Hops hit the nose like a ton of bricks followed by some very zesty citrus scents. Enough malt in the smell to balance everything out.

T: Very different than any IPA I've ever had before. This threw me off guard. Taste is like a mixture of hops and sweet peanut sauce. Bitterness of the hops is very strong but not overpowering. The nutty malt is right along side it for the duration of the drink. Finish is very bitter like grapefruit, aftertaste is bitter, yet sweet as well. After awhile the peanut taste started to become overwhelming. This is unlike anything I've ever had before. This would go great with Thai food.

M: Medium bodied, fair carbonation, pretty smooth.

D: A very interesting IPA. This is definatly something I would get again when in the mood for something as odd as this. As good as it is, not something I could drink a whole lot of. It was a little hard for me to finish the whole thing. I'm a huge fan of Thai food so I'm pretty stoked to find something that would go well with it, though I probably wouldn't get this under any other circumstances.

3.57/5  rDev -14.8%

a - decent. Nice copper, slightly cloudy (hello!) w/ not much carbonation although enough for me. The shittiest label I have ever seen. It looks like a poor take on a retro label that just was anything but enticing - but heck, it's just a label. Wouldn't have touched it had it not been recommended to try.

s - a little piney, hops not very sharp at all but sweet smell with some breadiness in there. A little wheaty for me as an IPA but regardless, still very nice.

t - delicious. very well done. hop-forward, piney sweet hops with some balance and malt. All in all a very nice beer.

m - coats the mouth heavily and stays with you for a bit.

d - drinkability is very good. I'd drink it again but have to deduct just a little bit for the mouth-wrecking it gave me. I'd drink it again but would stop at 1.

3.57/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served cool from a bomber bottle into a Delirium snifter glass.

Very hazy, light orange color with a tenacious tan head.

Smell is a little musty, hints of malt, hops, citrus, and slight pine.

Initial bitterness is followed by a pine sweetness, some citrus notes, some warming alcohol.

Medium to full bodied, light carbonation, buttery consistency, some astringency.

Overall, the musty smell threw me off, while the hops don't provide the complex flavor I came to love in such IPA's as Lagunitas or Alesmith.

3.56/5  rDev -15%

Poured into a pint glass. Light amber color with a thin white head.
Smells of malts is stronger than the hops. Faint pineapple and strange, musty aroma.
Mild hop presence in the taste. Citrus-y and watery. Little bit of an alcohol bite.
Mouthfeel is crisp and watery.
Good drinkability. The alcohol presence surprised me though.
Not that impressed with this one. Decent IPA.

3.56/5  rDev -15%

Golden color with a frothy head and lovely lacing that seems to be sticking around quite well so far. Scents of citrus and alcohol, standard IPA smell coming off of this. The First Swig reveals a really smooth balanced standard IPA taste. Very nice mouthfeel and drinkability seems to be right up there with many of my favorite IPA's. I think this is a solid brew, but I am not convinced it is anything to really go crazy over. If you see it on the shelf and haven't tried it, give it a go. It won't disappoint, but won't make your jaw drop. A Solid IPA, Bear Republic!

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a duvel tulip. Nice yellow orange with a 1/2 inch off white head. Aroma is piney but nothing special. Flavor has a nice caramel and malt back with a strong hop hit. Bitter citrus fruits are apparent with more of that pine coming through. Mouthfeel is somewhat sticky. Overall a good ipa, just not amazing.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Clear golden, decent initial head, fades quickly, a bit of lacing.

Sweet malt and floral hops in the smell.

Light sweet malt background, pine twang, slight grapefruit finish. Fairly classic, but nothing particularly unique that I tasted.

Medium-smooth mouthfeel.

A good example of the style, but nothing on this really stood out for me. Good but not great.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed an off bottle on 4/26/11, came back to it again to give it a second chance.

A – Light gold body. White head with ok retention, but good lace.

S – Woody, leafy hop character. Light honey sweetness.

T – Soft malt into an orange and ginger middle. Herbal backend of thyme and rosemary. Great balance, but the end of the profiled is blemished by a dry dustiness.

M – Medium body with a lightly sweet finish.

O – Not a bad IPA. The dusty note on the backend keep this a solid point lower than where it could have been imho.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Not as good as I expected.

Not the hoppiest IPA I've had ... by a wide margin, but the lack of those delicious hops hasn't been replaced by much. It has a fairly straightforward bitter with a bare splash of citrus flavor. In comparison to a DIPA, which usually will have more sweet fruit/malt flavors balancing out the hops, there isn't much else going on here. Mostly grapefruit, no real residual sweetness ... maybe a bit of orange/citrus.

Pours a not terribly attractive yellowish orange, but does have great carbonation and a long lasting head (started off four fingered, but quicly disippated to a more manageable finger length .. then lingered at half a finger for the entirety of the drink).

By no means a bad beer, it's just not my favorite IPA. The real problem is the price. For a few dollars more I can get union jack ipa or ruination, for a few dollars less I can get mission street, alaskan, or torpedo ipa, and for the same price I can get celebration ipa.

3.54/5  rDev -15.5%

poured from a 22 oz into a pint glass. 1 finger head with fast retention but a whole lot of bubbles left behind. Spider lacing is ridiculous in this IPA. Smells of earthyness and small hints of passion fruits such as grapefruit and mango. Taste was very mild. I was expecting something intense but instead i was greeted with a smooth and mellow spicey grapefruit taste followed by a bitter finish which added a little character to the beer.
Overall i was expecting a bit more flavour but it was an okay IPA. I will let it warm up a bit and then maybe i'll get a bit more out of this.

3.53/5  rDev -15.8%

Appearance - very uninviting appearance. Less than 1 finger head that quickly disappears. A scary, murky/cloudy light orange color.

Smell - Very pleasant citrus hop presence. Love that smell.

Taste - piney and somewhat bitter. Lots of hops frying the palet. Ok, but too much imbalance of hop fry vs. lack of flavors to balance the bitter hops.

A good mouthfeel.

Overall - this beer is ok but a little too unbalanced hops for my taste. They need to find the flavor balance to the hop bitterness to make this a better crafted beer.

3.53/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Clear orangy amber, fluffy, creamy hand pumped head.

S: Piney hops, faint hints of citrus and spice. Decent malt presence.

T: Piney hops with spicy flavors. Hints of citrus and decent malt backbone. Bitter and Earthy.

M: Big boddied, slightly oily and coating. Some aftertaste.

D: Good, but not great. Odd combo of strong piney hops and malt backbone. Cask is not my favorite IPA serving device.

Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.