Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Racer 5 India Pale Ale - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-27-2002

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD
2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show
2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer 5 India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,238 | Hads: 7,166
4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

This was a cask version, and a case where the brewers made a great effort to match the beer with the medium. The beer presents as a very clear golden color capped with a dense, creamy white head, almost like cool whip, in a good way, which hangs out for a long time.

The aroma is citrus followed by malt. The flavor starts bitter, reminiscent of lemon zest. The middle is sweet malt and it finishes bitter but not dry with sweet flavors as an aftertaste. The mouth feel is dense with good head and a medium body, denser than the color suggests. My overall impression is that this beer is well crafted to excel in the cask beyond what it does in the bottle, and I feel privileged to have gotten a taste from cask.

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%

Had this on tap recently and was taken aback at how fresh the hops smelled and tasted. I was at the Dogfish Head brewpub in Rehoboth Beach, MD recently and had their 90 minute IPA that had been put through "Randall the Enamel Animal" (look it up if you don't know of it). I had never tasted a brew with such a fresh hop smell and taste. This glass of Racer 5 was second to that. It was so fresh tasting (pine, herbaceous hop scent) that I had to ask if they had a Randall (the used to, but don't anymore).

Racer 5 has always been one of my favorite IPAs but this keg was outstanding. Hoppy without being very bitter (though that would be ok). A unique and special IPA that would please hopheads and newbies alike.

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

My favorite IPA. Just claimed a permanent spot on the tap. Has a great orange color and an easy drink as far as IPA are concerned. It has become a favorite at the restaurant in a very short time.In fact, people have traveled to Slater's 50/50 for the sole reason that we have this beer on tap. Real bitter real hoppy real good!

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

This is currently my go-to for a session beer. MAINLY because I am in the mood for IPAs and this is the best one I can get in a case at my local liquor store. For the record I just opened my.. 5th 12 pack case of it tonight. Thought it proper to give it

Vigorous pour yields a less than impressive head, and nothing is worse than bad head.. but is there really such think? Where were we? Oh yes, a beer review. On the up side, lacing is usually good with this beer. I'm on my 5th case of the stuff, trust me : )

Smells good. Not overpowering. Pine and citrus are the dominant scents coming through.

OK. Taste. Wow. It's got everything you could want in a session IPA. Hops are there, and tangy, but beautifully balanced by the malt backbone. It's really as simple as that. And this is why I am on my 5th case of the stuff.

Mouthfeel is nice. Medium body. The malts hold the hops in check and it never develops into a sour twang that some IPAs can evolve to.

Stupidly drinkable. This is my 5th case of the stuff. Until Russian River starts selling Pliny by the case, this WILL be my go-to session beer until the weather starts to cool off and I start looking for browns, porters, and stouts.

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

A - A nice dark golden with sediment floating. Really nice head retention and tons of lace. Impressive.

S - Citrusy hops, delicous. Wow, smells great.

T - heavenly. Bitter up front at 1st taste, and then it moves into a floraly hops and citrus flavor. Just damn tasty.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Not crisp, but smooth.

D - fantastic. This is one of the best IPA's I've ever had. It's up there with Cigar City's Jai Alai in my opinion. A Tier 1 IPA. Give me more!

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

This pours a gorgeous hazy orange copper with a nice airy(and weirdly uneven) cream colored head and mezmerizing layered lacing. The smell produces a WOw! Fresh citrus smells and an assload of hops w/light malts. The taste bitchsmacks you with hops right away but I also enjoyed the slight matly sweetness all in the same taste. There is definately piney goodness and a hint of caremel in all that sweetness. I know it is only 7.0 abv but this warms my throat right away for some reason. So Smooth. The mouthfeel is awesome and creamy, I could drink a million of these. Sorta syrupy though. Really dissapointed this isn't served on tap at my local MacGregors anymore.

By the way the head ROCKS! Right now there is a frickin cavern developing above the beer. Hard to describe but amazing. haha actually i want the foam to fall down and become beer.

330ml bottle bought online from Beersofeurope.co.uk

Poured a nice golden yellow colour. Slightly off white head poured big thick and foamy. Tons of carbonation rushes to the surface maintaining a thick rocky covering throughout... lots of sticky lacing...

Aroma - Juicy and maybe slightly tropical fruits (lemons, limes, grapefruits, pineapple), light pine, light palm sugar / caramel sweetness, sea salt, light toasted malt, fresh cut wet grass, light herbal notes, quite floral (lillies maybe ?), white pepper...

Taste - Nice juicy floral hop bitterness perfectly balanced by some light caramel maltiness, light floral honey sweetness, good fruitiness (oranges, grapefruit, light pineapple, apricot), herbal notes, perfumey, sea salt traces, faint soapy hints...

M&D - Smooth and creamy with a little sharpness underneath. Light / medium bodied... supremely quaffable..

Overall - An exquisite IPA and quite possibly the best i've had... My first Bear Republic brew and it lives up to the hype... highly recommended...

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

(just copy and pasted notes from notepad, didn't feel like editing it)

pours a beautiful pumpkin orange, bubbly creamy white head. hazy sediment visible when held up to the light. leaves sporadic, sticky lacing. 4.5

excellent classic IPA smell. fruit and hops up the wazoo, grapefruit and citrus heavy especially. 4.5

such a great balance of hops and malts here. grapefruit and pine, biscuit, caramel, warm baked goods. a tropical candy like sweetness. the hops aren't overpowering which lets the flavors truly shine, something I really look for in an IPA. 5

mouthfeel is so good, super creamy. works very well with all the flavors here. absolutely no alcohol taste, truly drinks like a dream. carbonation level is perfect. 5

drinkability is obviously great here. 12 bucks is maybe a tad much for a 6-pack, but I will continue to buy this again and again. Bear Republic certainly knows how to make an American IPA - Racer 5 and Hop Rod Rye are both among the best, most notable ones available. This is easily my favorite go-to for this style. 5

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Sampled this from a 22oz bomber.
Pours out a clear amber-orange color with an extremely sticky white head that left rings of lace all over the glass. The aroma is filled with citrusy hops and screams huge hop additions. The taste is packed with a great hop start but smoothes out over the tongue wonderfully with a perfect balance of bitterness. The semi-high ABV in this is well hidden but makes a presence letting you know that it is there very sublte in the finish. The smoothness of this beer is incredible for having so much hop flavor. The intense hops in an IPA that are normally too much for malt-lovers, is so well balanced, that this is a perfect beer for those who want to explore the world of the hop-heads. I personally can not get enough hops, and this one (not being a IIPA) is just phenomenal. As far as the IPA style goes, I have yet to find one that is as well crafted as this.

Appearence - 5.0
Aroma 4.75
Taste 5.0
Mouthfeel 4.50
Overall 4.75

Pours a hazy golden could with a 2 finger width foamy head. Head retention and lacing are moderate. Grassy, citric aroma. Resin. Hoppy. Great malty flavor that blends nicely with a grassy hoppy bitterness. A slight grapefruit, citric taste at the end. Great bitter aftertaste. Slightly soapy. This has been and still is one of my favorite beers and breweries overall.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

A- Translucent copper color with a bunch of bubbles racing to the top. Nice two finger white head with substantial lacing on my pint glass.
S- Big IPA aroma. Piny flowery notes jump out and are inviting and balanced.
T- Here's where it gets fun. One of the most balanced IPA"s I have had to date. Hop bitterness is present but doesn't pull away from the subtle earthy flavors. I get a taste off pines, citrus and a bready malt character here.
M- Perfect amount of carbonation makes for a refreshing experience with full flavor. I would say this would fall in to a light/medium body.
D- I wish I had more then this bomber right now. I could have a couple of these without exhausting the flavors of this brew. Racer 5, welcome to my top 5 IPA list.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured into a Schlitz chalice.

Can't get this beer in Michigan, so I'm kicking myself for not getting more of it when I was recently in Toledo. This is a powerful IPA. Huge bitter hop kick in the pants - relentless. Not balanced, but that's OK. It's all about the hops. Not something I could drink all of the time, but definitely one I'd love to have in my normal rotation. Highly recommended.

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured a gold/copper color with a slight haze and a creamy 2 finger snow white head that fades slowly, leaving good spotty lacing.

Smells of juicy citrus and piney hops, with grapefruit, tangerine, orange peel, lemon zest, pine cones, caramel, brown sugar, toasted grains, floral hops, herbs, light spices and biscuit or cracker; very nice citrus and hoppy notes, with just enough malts and grains for nice balance. The juicy hops jump out and make a statement, but overall the aroma is spot on and very nice for an IPA. Typical West Coast nose that is quite enjoyable.

Taste starts out sweet with the citrus and floral hop taste and smell, followed by a slight spicy hop flavor with piney hops, citrus hops and floral hops mixed with malt that trails off bitter with a sweet ending that brings out more hops and grapefruit, lemon zest, tangerine, orange peel, pine cones, caramel, brown sugar, toasted grains, biscuit, herbs, spices like pepper and coriander, perhaps even some light cinnamon. This beer works well and is very balanced considering the mix of hop flavors that bombard the senses up front. The flavor has a lot more malt and balance than the nose, and it's very tasty and extremely easy to drink. There is just enough sweet malt, biscuity grains and brown sugar or caramel to even out the taste. There is some lingering mango and coriander that coats the tongue after each swallow, leaving a refreshing feeling. A definite session beer for me, this flows down so easy that the whole bomber was gone in a flash.

Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and almost oily slick, with a medium chewy feel, very light and almost watery carbonation, with a bitter dry finish, yet the hop combo helps it go down smooth.

Overall a great beer that's packed with flavor and balanced by the slight sweetness, not letting that 7% ABV hit you until then end of the bottle. Each sip got better and brought out more flavor. A great beer on its own or mixed with food, this slides down easy like a fine beer should. A great beer that is steady, always enjoyable, complex and full of flavor; a top notch IPA that is one of the standards for any hophead.

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a bright copper/orange color. It had creamy 2 finger off white head.

The aroma of pine orange, pineapple and lemon filled my nose with delight. Th aroma was smooth and fresh. A very fresh smell.

Nicely hopped with a sweet bitter citrus malt taste in the beginning and then the hops bite back. Some notes of pine.

Medium bodied. Highly carbonated. The bubbles tickle my mouth.

Great drinkability! This tasty gem can be enjoyed anytime.

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%

Stopped in at RFD in DC, and saw this among the 30 on the tap list. Had to try it, SO glad I did. I know I'm an incorrigible hophead, and my ratings reflect my preference. But hey, there's no accounting for tastes...

This was served in a tumbler with almost no head. The color was unusually light, a sandy-colored yellow, not quite clear. But AHHHH, the smell... the nose on this brew was indeed exceptional, one of the richest outpourings of floral, citrus hops that I have ever smelled. Right up there w/ DFH at the brewery. I drank, I moaned, I loved it.

The flavors were hops, hops, and more hops. Some hints of grassiness and some smells and flavors that remind you that the hop plant is related to the hemp plant. Rich, aromatic, yummy. Enough malt to balance it (if you're a hophead), but not enough to distract from the main attraction. The mouthfeel was medium-light, the finish was clean and bitter and flavorful, the beer was not just drinkable, it was gulpable, inhalable, guzzlable. I Coulda woulda shoulda got another one, BUT I as in a 30-tap establishment and I felt the need to sample more of their offerings. But I will look for this again, in bottle, on tap, whereever, whenever. Recommended, for sure.

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%

22 oz. bottle. Poured into pint glass.

Appearance: 2" dense head. Racer 5 is caramel colored, with a hint of hazy orange. The head left substantial lacing down the glass as the beer was consumed.

Smell: Hello hoppery!! Nice orange and grapefruit notes weave their way through the waves of hops that pervade the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy bodied. A bit resinous.

Taste: Immediately, the hops are bracingly bitter (they do soften out a bit as the beer warms). The hops quickly step aside to reveal a resinous mid-pallate that is predominated by hops. It's really hard to find any element of sweetness in this beer. Grapefruit rind predominates a finish that lasts more than 30 seconds, with hints of the 7.0% ABV providing sturdy support. Racer 5 is surely one of my favorite IPA's. It's full and bold enough to shine above many Double IPA's I've had, and at 7.0% it doesn't hit you quite as hard.

Drinkability: I could easily drink 3 or 4 of these in an evening...but I'd probably pay for it the next day. This is not a light beer, and probably wouldn't be the best choice for a session beer, no matter how badly you want it to be. Besides not being a wimpy IPA, this beer is entirely drinkable!

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

This is my desert island beer. If I was allowed only one beer to bring with me to a deserted island, this is it! Not just my go-to beer, but damn near my favorite ever. Damn near.

Of course I'm a little biased due to having an intense love of Healdsburg, CA, so take this all with the appropriate grain...

Beautiful amber pour, nice, white head, quality lacing as the glass quickly empties. Complex taste, but not so complex that it's overwhelming. A slight bit of spice on the front end followed by a super clean finish that leaves me begging for more. There is a malty presence which I might usually find annoying, but this is balanced so perfectly that I find myself enjoying what could be considered a slight drawback.

This is simply the most solid American IPA I've found this side of the Russian River. Buy it, drink it, be it.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

Slightly hazy copper liquid with a large rocky head. Huge chunks of lacing on the glass. Large spots on top of the liquid as well. Gorgeous.

Huge citrusy nose with a hint of piney hops and some sweet malty sugary notes.

Fabulously smooth beer. Bit sweet grapefruit hoppiness balanced by a smooth malt bill. This is a truly wonderful beer. Absolutely delcious.

Thanks to jj21 for this fine beer.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

Had this for the first time on draft in Virginia and have been on a quest to find a place to buy it. Picked a few bombers up in Webster, NY a few weeks back.

Pours a deep orangish copper color. Hazy in clarity. Nice white head forms right away. Very good head retention for the first few minutes, it then settles down to a nice lacing on top of the beer. A good floral smell, hops are right up front. Maybe a little fruity note, apricot, maybe hint of orange? Mouth feel, slightly sweet start but the hops kick in almost right away. Oily feel going through the mouth. Good bitter hops note but not too much, alcohol (7%) is well hidden but does help balance out the hops, you do feel the hops on your teeth between sips. All in all I had forgotten how much I love this beer. May need to stack it up against the 90 min when I get home in a battle royal for my top IPA. If you are a hop and IPA fanatic then go get one of some Racer 5, a supreme example of a West Coast IPA. I have got to figure out a way to get this stuff in GA.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

Very hoppy, like a forbidden forest of hops. Yum
A: Gold. Ample head is essentially white and the lacing is sweet too. Great carbonation!
S: Hops hops and more hops! Oh so subtle pine and citrus fruit notes
T: Hops! Extremely delicious. A little piney
M: Crisp and drinkable. Hops are present throughout the experience
O: Fairly balanced if you love hops like I do. Other than the hops though, not much shines through in this brew... It is exciting and refined, very appetizing, light and easy to drink!

Serving Type : 22oz Bomber that I picked up for $4.99

First this beer is a hell of a steal at $4.99 for a 22oz bomber!!!

A- A slightly hazy orange with little to no head. Mild Carbonation.

S- I could smell this beer the minute I opened it. Juicy juicy hops overcame the dinning room. Very citrus aroma with a subtle pine and resin in the back. Very little malt pick up

T- Not what I was expecting at $4.99 This beer is incredible. Right up there with Smuttynose and Ithaca Flower power. It reminded me specifically of flower power. The hop profile is very similar! Very delicious and has started to quench my thirst!

M- A little lighter than I would like or expect from a IPA. Perhaps they slimmed on the grain bill. No taste or smell or malt or grain. Very smooth and tingly from the mild carbonation. Overall a great mouthfeel. This is my first time having this and I put it down rather quick :)

Get this beer! You will love it, and if you paid what I did for it you will be in one of those WIN WIN situations! Cheers!

4.82/5  rDev +15%

My mouth is watering in anticipation of tasting this beer. I've poured a small amount in my pint glass from a good height to bring our it's aroma, and it's wonderful. Fruit comes to mind ... orange, and apricot, both really ripe and also pleanty of piney hops.

I can't wait any longer and take a sip and am rewarded with an upfront sweet fruity note, followed by the wonderfully bitter bite of hops. They are in perfect compliment with one another. Not all hops like some of the IPA's out there.

Craving more than a sip, I pour the rest of my bottle into my pint glass and see an ample two fingers of fine bubbled tan head. The ale itself has an orange tint with a little bit of a yeast "halo" that develops into a slightly hazy brew. There are signs of uniform lacing around the walls of my glass.

The mouthfeel reminds my a little of a late harvest muscat, thick and full bodied, but not oberbaring or coating on my palate. The flavor lingers sufficiently and reminds me that I need another sip ... or perhaps a good swig better yet. I am not disappointed as the flavor profile keeps reminding me of why I like this beer so much.

If you haven't tried Racer 5 and you like IPA's, I encourage you to crack one open. You won't be disappointed. I beleive that this might be the gold standard of American IPA's.

4.81/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is a perfect example of an IPA with a real beer taste/ Smooth as an IPA with a very Hoppy taste and great beer finish make this one of my top 5 favorite beers. Not only works as a compliment to food of many varieties, but works well all on its own as well. I am a big fan of local options, but this beer comes all the way from california and it is worth every mile it travels to get to my store in Pennsylvania Love it!

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Poursamber with a one finger tan head.

A nice balance of sweet citrus and resins in the nose. A bit of bubblegum.

Sweet caramel and thick resins up front, lead into a slightly astringent middle. Ends with a fantastic malty, resinous bitterness.

Medium bodied, extraordinarily drinkable. Definitely a four pinter.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

On tap at Pete's Brass Rail in Danville.

a - Good color, slightly cloudy (the way I like it) yellow/gold.

s - Very mellow pine and citrus. And of course the indication of hops to come.

t - As someone who isn't crazy about the really strong IPAs, I love this one. The hops are there, but they're not strong to the point that they feel like they're ripping your mouth apart. Very balanced and, like the smell, mellow.

m - Like the taste, for an IPA, this was a little surprising. Fairly thin feel compared to some others I've had.

d - Could break the bank putting these away.

Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.