Racer 5 India Pale Ale - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD
2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show
2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer 5 India Pale Ale Alström Bros

Neffbeer, Nov 15, 2011

MrJolly, Dec 18, 2011

cshorett, Jan 22, 2012

RobertTheRogue, Dec 09, 2011

CEDAMA, Jun 08, 2012

This was the best beer I could choose from the store I got it at.

I have had this about a year ago but forgot how tasty this brew truly is. Not a bad pickup for $9.99 + tax.

I would rather drink Hop Rod Rye but this was the only option available at the time.

MCfunkyJ, May 03, 2010

phishinNYC, Dec 25, 2011

madEthelFlint, Jun 07, 2012

pudoo, Nov 27, 2011

Ryanpro, Aug 31, 2014

WritersBlock, Sep 16, 2013

Bcorms10, Jun 28, 2014

This is definitely an underrated beer! I rarely give all 5's but this deserves it! It is a very well balanced IPA that has a good malt backbone to back it up. It does have a big hop forward taste that lingers a few minutes after the gulps. Best part is when I'm done I can still taste this beast in my burps :) OUTSTANDING BREW!

ShaneO, Jul 25, 2012

BrendanDouglas, Dec 03, 2011

I give this beer a 5 based on it's representation of what I feel an IPA should be. I typically do not prefer IPAs and I actually find this one very enjoyable.

All I have to say is that it looks tantalizing and retains an amazing, creamy head to the end. Nice medium carbonation can be seen through the clear amber. The smell is sweet with strong tropical fruit hop smell. The taste is a spot-on balance of sweet maltiness and piney/tropical hop bitterness that sits just right, not too bitter and minimal bitter finish. It feels thick and chewy but not overbearing. It is truly an easy, smooth drinker with a slight resinous and oily feel to chew on. I gotta say I really like this one and will be the only IPA other than Pliny that I would actually purchase.

SnowFlowMfg, Oct 04, 2012

Perfect 5 for Racer 5.

Pours an orange amber as an IPA should. 5/5

Smells like hops, some sweet grassy tones, and I fingered the beer, lace is minimum. 5/5 for IPA smell. Not over hopped. Just PERFECT !!!

mouthfull is fizzy, carbonated, full breadth, and solid yet lightweight. It's a great beer 5/5

Taste is absolutely balanced. I've drank overly hopped IPA's, and this one is not overly hopped. It's strong hop presence is there. Much like cascade hops used strongly in the near end of the boiling process. The taste is piney, a light malt, bitter-sweet, and after taste is bitter hops, slightly acidic in a good way, leaving the lips slippery with a nice malt surface. When a little more warm I get a black pepper after taste. It has some nice complexity for an IPA 5/5

Overall I bought this beer at Trader Joe's a pint for 3.99$ One glass in and I'm buzzing good yet not over whelmed, or wanting to take a dive on the couch for a nap. The price and quality of this beer make it another game winner. I have tasted much more expensive IPA's and this matches or defeats them. I am not at all an IPA lover, but the occassional IPA drinker, and WOW I am impressed. I would suggest and buy this beer for friends and family who understand a little about beers, and could appreciate the price point, quality, and solid IPA Bear Republic produces with this liquid pleasure.

Thank you for reading my review.
Relax, have a home brew, and prosit !

CodyOebel, May 29, 2013

RandyJ, Nov 15, 2011
Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.