Racer 5 India Pale Ale - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD
2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show
2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer 5 India Pale Ale Alström Bros

Perfect 5 for Racer 5.

Pours an orange amber as an IPA should. 5/5

Smells like hops, some sweet grassy tones, and I fingered the beer, lace is minimum. 5/5 for IPA smell. Not over hopped. Just PERFECT !!!

mouthfull is fizzy, carbonated, full breadth, and solid yet lightweight. It's a great beer 5/5

Taste is absolutely balanced. I've drank overly hopped IPA's, and this one is not overly hopped. It's strong hop presence is there. Much like cascade hops used strongly in the near end of the boiling process. The taste is piney, a light malt, bitter-sweet, and after taste is bitter hops, slightly acidic in a good way, leaving the lips slippery with a nice malt surface. When a little more warm I get a black pepper after taste. It has some nice complexity for an IPA 5/5

Overall I bought this beer at Trader Joe's a pint for 3.99$ One glass in and I'm buzzing good yet not over whelmed, or wanting to take a dive on the couch for a nap. The price and quality of this beer make it another game winner. I have tasted much more expensive IPA's and this matches or defeats them. I am not at all an IPA lover, but the occassional IPA drinker, and WOW I am impressed. I would suggest and buy this beer for friends and family who understand a little about beers, and could appreciate the price point, quality, and solid IPA Bear Republic produces with this liquid pleasure.

Thank you for reading my review.
Relax, have a home brew, and prosit !

CodyOebel, May 29, 2013

benbou17, Dec 05, 2011

Bacchus1, Aug 27, 2014

LloydBobBoozehound, Oct 13, 2014

Rickstar, Aug 26, 2012

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. No freshness date. Single purchased at local health food store for $1.69.

A-Pours a deep golden, almost orange color with a one finger, off-white head with average retention and modest lacing. Beautiful in appearance. A gorgeous beer.

S-Very pronounced juicy citrus hops. Grapefruit is most prominent. I love the smell of this beer.

T-Very, very balanced, IMO. Hops are aggressive without being overpowering. Nice malt backbone in finish is pleasantly sweet. Atypical for a West Coast IPA. Very distinctive and a real treat. This beer may cause me to change my favorite style. No bitter after taste and alcohol taste is absent, even at 7% ABV. Extremely well crafted.

M-Very smooth and extremely well balanced, yet complex.

D-A great IPA. May be my favorite beer. Dangerously smooth given ABV. I'm satisfied sipping this beer, but if I am especially thirsty on a hot summer day, I can readily down this in big swallows.

This is my go-to IPA. I can buy this for $1.69 a 12oz single year round. When in Northern California for vacation earlier this month, I bought a half-case of 12oz bottles for $15.99. An exceptional value! Especially compared to Stone and Russian River offerings. I am stingy when giving praise, but this beer garners top scores across the board for me. I like variety, but if this was the only beer I was permitted to drink, I would not be an unhappy camper.

velosuds, Jul 26, 2009

gdhawley, Nov 15, 2011

weaselchew, Feb 15, 2012

vibhav, Jun 14, 2012

A-An aggressive pour yields a very clear light orange color with a finger and a half of thick white head.

S-Smells of dank pine and huge pineapple notes with some mango and light caramel notes.

T-Big pineapple and caramel on the front with some bitter pine and grapefruit on the finish.

M-Extremely smooth feel with a medium body and light carbonation.

D-This is an incredibly balanced, yet flavorful IPA. I've had this one before, but I'm not sure why I haven't revisited it since. I'll be sure to in the future.

samie85, Jun 25, 2011

Kaydogg, Jan 27, 2012
Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.