1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Racer 5 India Pale Ale - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD
2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show
2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-27-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer 5 India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,577 | Reviews: 2,157 | Show All Ratings:
mondegreen

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

12oz into an Allagash Tulip. Bottled on 10/18/10.

Pours an attractive golden orange. A frothy one finger head falls into the beer, leaving sticky lacing in its place.

Aroma is fantastic. Bright citrus hops erupt from the golden liquid, mingling with a barely present alcohol element.

Taste is among the best American IPAs I've had. A sharp bitter bite gives way to juicy, juicy hops. The bitterness gives way to a slight sweetness before morphing back into a slightly bitter aftertaste. This is a classic west coast citrus bomb.

Mouth is pretty much perfect, and I could drink this one all day. Easily A top 5 American IPA, in the same league with Sculpin, 2 Hearted, and other highly heralded IPAs.

11-24-2010 18:56:40 | More by mondegreen
jchow79

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

I could drink this all day long. WOW so balanced and delicious.

A: Golden orange hue with notable lacing.

S: The bouquet is fantastical! Its as if someone whacked me in the face with a grapefruit and flowers.

T: Delightfully citrusy! Very balanced approach to citrus and bitter.

M: Soft and silky on the tongue

D: I want to drink this all day long.

12-17-2010 18:12:16 | More by jchow79
KarlosT

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Wow. I just found my favorite beer.

A gentleman at the liquor store recommended this pale ale. Mentioned that it had hints of fruity flavor.

I found it crisp, just the right amount of hoppiness, and hints of fruits ... perhaps providing a bit of sweetness to an otherwise bitter beer.

04-11-2012 19:13:29 | More by KarlosT
rkhaze

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Pours a slightly hazy golden peach color. Big dense and creamy off white head. Good retention and it left rings of sticky lace.
Smells of citrusy/perfumey hops. Earthy sweet malt, fruit (pears?)
and tea.
Excellent balance of flavors. The sweet malt, caramel and fruit backbone is balanced by a beautiful hop profile. Outstanding!
Medium bodied with a creamy rich mouthfeel and an outstanding level of carbonation.
Great balance and mouthfeel lead to unparalleled drinkability.
One of my favorite IPA's. Just a great effort by Bear Republic.

06-05-2004 00:37:22 | More by rkhaze
timtheenchanta

South Carolina

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Slightly hazy copper liquid with a large rocky head. Huge chunks of lacing on the glass. Large spots on top of the liquid as well. Gorgeous.

Huge citrusy nose with a hint of piney hops and some sweet malty sugary notes.

Fabulously smooth beer. Bit sweet grapefruit hoppiness balanced by a smooth malt bill. This is a truly wonderful beer. Absolutely delcious.

Thanks to jj21 for this fine beer.

09-04-2006 02:54:03 | More by timtheenchanta
nortmand

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Poursamber with a one finger tan head.

A nice balance of sweet citrus and resins in the nose. A bit of bubblegum.

Sweet caramel and thick resins up front, lead into a slightly astringent middle. Ends with a fantastic malty, resinous bitterness.

Medium bodied, extraordinarily drinkable. Definitely a four pinter.

11-08-2006 01:08:19 | More by nortmand
ClavinCliff

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Had this for the first time on draft in Virginia and have been on a quest to find a place to buy it. Picked a few bombers up in Webster, NY a few weeks back.

Pours a deep orangish copper color. Hazy in clarity. Nice white head forms right away. Very good head retention for the first few minutes, it then settles down to a nice lacing on top of the beer. A good floral smell, hops are right up front. Maybe a little fruity note, apricot, maybe hint of orange? Mouth feel, slightly sweet start but the hops kick in almost right away. Oily feel going through the mouth. Good bitter hops note but not too much, alcohol (7%) is well hidden but does help balance out the hops, you do feel the hops on your teeth between sips. All in all I had forgotten how much I love this beer. May need to stack it up against the 90 min when I get home in a battle royal for my top IPA. If you are a hop and IPA fanatic then go get one of some Racer 5, a supreme example of a West Coast IPA. I have got to figure out a way to get this stuff in GA.

08-21-2008 17:10:30 | More by ClavinCliff
ABOWMan

4.83/5  rDev +15%

My mouth is watering in anticipation of tasting this beer. I've poured a small amount in my pint glass from a good height to bring our it's aroma, and it's wonderful. Fruit comes to mind ... orange, and apricot, both really ripe and also pleanty of piney hops.

I can't wait any longer and take a sip and am rewarded with an upfront sweet fruity note, followed by the wonderfully bitter bite of hops. They are in perfect compliment with one another. Not all hops like some of the IPA's out there.

Craving more than a sip, I pour the rest of my bottle into my pint glass and see an ample two fingers of fine bubbled tan head. The ale itself has an orange tint with a little bit of a yeast "halo" that develops into a slightly hazy brew. There are signs of uniform lacing around the walls of my glass.

The mouthfeel reminds my a little of a late harvest muscat, thick and full bodied, but not oberbaring or coating on my palate. The flavor lingers sufficiently and reminds me that I need another sip ... or perhaps a good swig better yet. I am not disappointed as the flavor profile keeps reminding me of why I like this beer so much.

If you haven't tried Racer 5 and you like IPA's, I encourage you to crack one open. You won't be disappointed. I beleive that this might be the gold standard of American IPA's.

08-15-2009 21:05:55 | More by ABOWMan
truknon

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Served from a Bomber and poured into a Pint Glass.

The initial whiff hit me with strong fruity flavors, particularly Banana. After pouring the first glass it had an exceptional golden color and ridiculous foamy head. It actually stuck out over the top of the glass with beautiful Peaks and Points, reminiscent of a Mountain range. The creamy foam head actually never dissipates and the first sip is intense with the fore mentioned fruity flavors and ends on the bitter side. It is medium to full bodied and not to carbonated.

The overall drinkability is very smooth and not overpowering, which makes you want to have another glas!!. I highly recommend this IPA and it may just be the best I have had in a while. To the store...for more!!!

10-14-2009 22:54:28 | More by truknon
Jeebs

4.83/5  rDev +15%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours an orangish yellow with about 1.5 fingers of head that leaves nice lacing down the entire glass.

S: Smells of piney hops and citrus

T: I love the taste of this beer. Starts out with piney hops and a hint of citrus. There seems to also be some malt to balance it out. Finishes with a nice clean bitter bite.

M: Medium bodied with medium combination, smooth and crisp finish.

D: This is the best IPA I have had to date.

01-08-2010 23:38:37 | More by Jeebs
ben68cat

4.83/5  rDev +15%

i was recomended to try this ipa ffrom a fellow that works at u-pick 6 on peach street erie,pa. he has never steered me wrong and sure was on the money with this one!it pours an orangeish amber color,nice half inch head on it,leaves a bit of lacing around the glass,and tastes of hops,and citrus.this beer is excellent deffinate top five india pale ales i have ever tasted.this has become a must have for me,though i have to travel 25 miles to get it definately worth the trip!

04-23-2010 02:06:37 | More by ben68cat
wesclaypool

4.83/5  rDev +15%

On tap at Pete's Brass Rail in Danville.

a - Good color, slightly cloudy (the way I like it) yellow/gold.

s - Very mellow pine and citrus. And of course the indication of hops to come.

t - As someone who isn't crazy about the really strong IPAs, I love this one. The hops are there, but they're not strong to the point that they feel like they're ripping your mouth apart. Very balanced and, like the smell, mellow.

m - Like the taste, for an IPA, this was a little surprising. Fairly thin feel compared to some others I've had.

d - Could break the bank putting these away.

05-10-2010 04:41:07 | More by wesclaypool
cbutova

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Bottled May 24, 2010, hopefully I can find a fresher one soon enough.

A- Orange amber with a off-white head that doesn't reach impressive heights. Dies down at a fairly quick to a cloud and ring that sustain themselves. Some big chunks float around in this one. Somehow my entire glass is coated with lace after a sub-par head.

S- If someone wanted to know what a hop smelled like, this is where they should go. A blast of that Cali citrus, almost sweet fruity hop right off the bat. A strong caramel backbone supports the hops. Great overall aroma strength.

T- Once again, you have to come back to this beer to experience the true staple of a modern IPA flavor. Opens with general earthy, pine hop flavor and finishes with a great citrus, fruity hop flavor unlike almost anything else. Caramel notes come in the beginning and bread hints support the finish. Pine becomes more and more prevalent as I sip onward but it only adds to the great balance. Some sweetness but it is just divine.

MF- Moderate body supports a very flavorful beer. The carbonation is fairly high and slightly stings the taste buds. Creamy. Fairly bitter, at a level that does not interfere with the great flavor.

DB- I have had this one several times before but I have never really sat down with it until now. This beer is in every store for a reason, it is a truly iconic IPA. One that will probably outlast 99% of the style during the inevitable test of time. This one joins the ranks of Weihenstephaner and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in the true staples of beer.

08-18-2010 02:34:49 | More by cbutova
ReservaPrivada

Serving Type : 22oz Bomber that I picked up for $4.99

First this beer is a hell of a steal at $4.99 for a 22oz bomber!!!

A- A slightly hazy orange with little to no head. Mild Carbonation.

S- I could smell this beer the minute I opened it. Juicy juicy hops overcame the dinning room. Very citrus aroma with a subtle pine and resin in the back. Very little malt pick up

T- Not what I was expecting at $4.99 This beer is incredible. Right up there with Smuttynose and Ithaca Flower power. It reminded me specifically of flower power. The hop profile is very similar! Very delicious and has started to quench my thirst!

M- A little lighter than I would like or expect from a IPA. Perhaps they slimmed on the grain bill. No taste or smell or malt or grain. Very smooth and tingly from the mild carbonation. Overall a great mouthfeel. This is my first time having this and I put it down rather quick :)

Get this beer! You will love it, and if you paid what I did for it you will be in one of those WIN WIN situations! Cheers!

08-22-2011 22:06:23 | More by ReservaPrivada
Bockrules

New Mexico

4.83/5  rDev +15%

poured from the bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours a nice hazy, orange-gold with small flecks of yeast suspended throughout. Only a few bubbles rise to the dense, off-white, two-finger head. Head stays intact all the way down the glass. Leaves behind generous splotches of lacing.

S - Nice bouquet of floral aromas greet the nose upon opening the bottle floating a sweet caramel backbone. In the glass, the nose becomes more citrus with orange, pineapple and grapefruit notes.

T - Upfront, we have orange flavors and sweetness, almost like a wheat beer. The body is exceptionally well balanced with floral hops perfectly balanced by a firm Caramel backbone with hints of orange and mango on top of it all. Sticky orange flavor as the beer passes over the back of the tongue that intensifies into a lingering bitter-orange finish.

M - Medium bodied with low carbonation to give the beer a nice creaminess that compliments it well.

This beer has been tempting me in my fridge ever since I picked it up a couple months ago in Phoenix with my wife on our anniversary. Faced with literally hundreds of beers I hadn't sampled before, I was forced to only bring 12 home with me. Glad I chose Racer 5. Hands down this is the best IPA I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. Though not a hop-heads delight, this beer is incredibly smooth and balanced despite being very complex and having a rather high ABV of 7%. Hopefully I can find this beer in New Mexico as I would love to make it a staple in my fridge. It is beers like this that make obtaining, tasting and reviewing beers from around the world such an exciting and rewarding hobby.

11-21-2011 08:55:19 | More by Bockrules
PatriotsRule

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Very hoppy, like a forbidden forest of hops. Yum
A: Gold. Ample head is essentially white and the lacing is sweet too. Great carbonation!
S: Hops hops and more hops! Oh so subtle pine and citrus fruit notes
T: Hops! Extremely delicious. A little piney
M: Crisp and drinkable. Hops are present throughout the experience
O: Fairly balanced if you love hops like I do. Other than the hops though, not much shines through in this brew... It is exciting and refined, very appetizing, light and easy to drink!

12-05-2012 02:42:32 | More by PatriotsRule
allentownpaguy

4.83/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is a perfect example of an IPA with a real beer taste/ Smooth as an IPA with a very Hoppy taste and great beer finish make this one of my top 5 favorite beers. Not only works as a compliment to food of many varieties, but works well all on its own as well. I am a big fan of local options, but this beer comes all the way from california and it is worth every mile it travels to get to my store in Pennsylvania Love it!

03-27-2013 01:40:39 | More by allentownpaguy
dickroop

Maryland

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Stopped in at RFD in DC, and saw this among the 30 on the tap list. Had to try it, SO glad I did. I know I'm an incorrigible hophead, and my ratings reflect my preference. But hey, there's no accounting for tastes...

This was served in a tumbler with almost no head. The color was unusually light, a sandy-colored yellow, not quite clear. But AHHHH, the smell... the nose on this brew was indeed exceptional, one of the richest outpourings of floral, citrus hops that I have ever smelled. Right up there w/ DFH at the brewery. I drank, I moaned, I loved it.

The flavors were hops, hops, and more hops. Some hints of grassiness and some smells and flavors that remind you that the hop plant is related to the hemp plant. Rich, aromatic, yummy. Enough malt to balance it (if you're a hophead), but not enough to distract from the main attraction. The mouthfeel was medium-light, the finish was clean and bitter and flavorful, the beer was not just drinkable, it was gulpable, inhalable, guzzlable. I Coulda woulda shoulda got another one, BUT I as in a 30-tap establishment and I felt the need to sample more of their offerings. But I will look for this again, in bottle, on tap, whereever, whenever. Recommended, for sure.

01-28-2007 23:45:41 | More by dickroop
bringonthehops

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

22 oz. bottle. Poured into pint glass.

Appearance: 2" dense head. Racer 5 is caramel colored, with a hint of hazy orange. The head left substantial lacing down the glass as the beer was consumed.

Smell: Hello hoppery!! Nice orange and grapefruit notes weave their way through the waves of hops that pervade the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy bodied. A bit resinous.

Taste: Immediately, the hops are bracingly bitter (they do soften out a bit as the beer warms). The hops quickly step aside to reveal a resinous mid-pallate that is predominated by hops. It's really hard to find any element of sweetness in this beer. Grapefruit rind predominates a finish that lasts more than 30 seconds, with hints of the 7.0% ABV providing sturdy support. Racer 5 is surely one of my favorite IPA's. It's full and bold enough to shine above many Double IPA's I've had, and at 7.0% it doesn't hit you quite as hard.

Drinkability: I could easily drink 3 or 4 of these in an evening...but I'd probably pay for it the next day. This is not a light beer, and probably wouldn't be the best choice for a session beer, no matter how badly you want it to be. Besides not being a wimpy IPA, this beer is entirely drinkable!

02-14-2007 07:08:20 | More by bringonthehops
CHickman

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured a gold/copper color with a slight haze and a creamy 2 finger snow white head that fades slowly, leaving good spotty lacing.

Smells of juicy citrus and piney hops, with grapefruit, tangerine, orange peel, lemon zest, pine cones, caramel, brown sugar, toasted grains, floral hops, herbs, light spices and biscuit or cracker; very nice citrus and hoppy notes, with just enough malts and grains for nice balance. The juicy hops jump out and make a statement, but overall the aroma is spot on and very nice for an IPA. Typical West Coast nose that is quite enjoyable.

Taste starts out sweet with the citrus and floral hop taste and smell, followed by a slight spicy hop flavor with piney hops, citrus hops and floral hops mixed with malt that trails off bitter with a sweet ending that brings out more hops and grapefruit, lemon zest, tangerine, orange peel, pine cones, caramel, brown sugar, toasted grains, biscuit, herbs, spices like pepper and coriander, perhaps even some light cinnamon. This beer works well and is very balanced considering the mix of hop flavors that bombard the senses up front. The flavor has a lot more malt and balance than the nose, and it's very tasty and extremely easy to drink. There is just enough sweet malt, biscuity grains and brown sugar or caramel to even out the taste. There is some lingering mango and coriander that coats the tongue after each swallow, leaving a refreshing feeling. A definite session beer for me, this flows down so easy that the whole bomber was gone in a flash.

Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and almost oily slick, with a medium chewy feel, very light and almost watery carbonation, with a bitter dry finish, yet the hop combo helps it go down smooth.

Overall a great beer that's packed with flavor and balanced by the slight sweetness, not letting that 7% ABV hit you until then end of the bottle. Each sip got better and brought out more flavor. A great beer on its own or mixed with food, this slides down easy like a fine beer should. A great beer that is steady, always enjoyable, complex and full of flavor; a top notch IPA that is one of the standards for any hophead.

05-26-2009 02:22:40 | More by CHickman
jdrury245

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a bright copper/orange color. It had creamy 2 finger off white head.

The aroma of pine orange, pineapple and lemon filled my nose with delight. Th aroma was smooth and fresh. A very fresh smell.

Nicely hopped with a sweet bitter citrus malt taste in the beginning and then the hops bite back. Some notes of pine.

Medium bodied. Highly carbonated. The bubbles tickle my mouth.

Great drinkability! This tasty gem can be enjoyed anytime.

04-03-2010 01:11:06 | More by jdrury245
crowsoup

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

This is my desert island beer. If I was allowed only one beer to bring with me to a deserted island, this is it! Not just my go-to beer, but damn near my favorite ever. Damn near.

Of course I'm a little biased due to having an intense love of Healdsburg, CA, so take this all with the appropriate grain...

Beautiful amber pour, nice, white head, quality lacing as the glass quickly empties. Complex taste, but not so complex that it's overwhelming. A slight bit of spice on the front end followed by a super clean finish that leaves me begging for more. There is a malty presence which I might usually find annoying, but this is balanced so perfectly that I find myself enjoying what could be considered a slight drawback.

This is simply the most solid American IPA I've found this side of the Russian River. Buy it, drink it, be it.

07-29-2012 20:23:49 | More by crowsoup
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Sampled this from a 22oz bomber.
Pours out a clear amber-orange color with an extremely sticky white head that left rings of lace all over the glass. The aroma is filled with citrusy hops and screams huge hop additions. The taste is packed with a great hop start but smoothes out over the tongue wonderfully with a perfect balance of bitterness. The semi-high ABV in this is well hidden but makes a presence letting you know that it is there very sublte in the finish. The smoothness of this beer is incredible for having so much hop flavor. The intense hops in an IPA that are normally too much for malt-lovers, is so well balanced, that this is a perfect beer for those who want to explore the world of the hop-heads. I personally can not get enough hops, and this one (not being a IIPA) is just phenomenal. As far as the IPA style goes, I have yet to find one that is as well crafted as this.

05-25-2005 00:16:15 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
kbnooshay

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

This pours a gorgeous hazy orange copper with a nice airy(and weirdly uneven) cream colored head and mezmerizing layered lacing. The smell produces a WOw! Fresh citrus smells and an assload of hops w/light malts. The taste bitchsmacks you with hops right away but I also enjoyed the slight matly sweetness all in the same taste. There is definately piney goodness and a hint of caremel in all that sweetness. I know it is only 7.0 abv but this warms my throat right away for some reason. So Smooth. The mouthfeel is awesome and creamy, I could drink a million of these. Sorta syrupy though. Really dissapointed this isn't served on tap at my local MacGregors anymore.

By the way the head ROCKS! Right now there is a frickin cavern developing above the beer. Hard to describe but amazing. haha actually i want the foam to fall down and become beer.

08-31-2005 05:05:28 | More by kbnooshay
montageman

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured into a Schlitz chalice.

Can't get this beer in Michigan, so I'm kicking myself for not getting more of it when I was recently in Toledo. This is a powerful IPA. Huge bitter hop kick in the pants - relentless. Not balanced, but that's OK. It's all about the hops. Not something I could drink all of the time, but definitely one I'd love to have in my normal rotation. Highly recommended.

07-28-2009 02:26:33 | More by montageman
Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.