Hop Rod Rye - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Hop Rod RyeHop Rod Rye

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character.

2009 California State Fair – GOLD
2003 California State Fair – GOLD
2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) – GOLD

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 03-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Rod Rye Alström Bros
woodchipper

Connecticut

01-19-2014 20:08:49 | More by woodchipper
jtierney89

1.5/5  rDev -64.5%

Pours a deep mahogany with an off white head. Big fruity/piney/herbal hop presence (yes that's correct) on the nose. Rye adds a detectable spiciness. Carbonation is visible.

Very piney with a dark fruit backbone and lots of spice. Dry and bitter finish. Faint buttered toast taste up front which lends a toasted character to the other flavors. Some citrus character is present as well. Slightly spicy hop character.

Very earthy with unpleasant building piney bitterness.

Different but nothing spectacular, good for the price I guess.

12-08-2011 17:16:59 | More by jtierney89

03-04-2013 23:43:39 | More by TheBigBoy
deadonhisfeet

Kentucky

2.05/5  rDev -51.5%

Poured from a bottle with no freshness data into a New Belgium snifter. The pour is a murky dark burnt orange with a nice finger of head that leaves behind some nice lacing. The nose is sticky, syrupy, boozy sweet. No hops at all. I must have an old bottle. Oh well, I must review it as-is. If the brewer cared about age, then obviously they'd tell me when this beer was bottled.

Medium body and a nice, oily feel, but whatever flavor exists is absolutely dead. I get some toast and marmalade up front, a little bit of rye at mid palate, then nothing.

I'm not even finishing this. Major drain-pour. It isn't even worth the calories in the glass. Do I think this beer is better than what I experienced? Absolutely. Will I give it another chance? Hell no. I know we're not supposed to slam beers, but this is what the brewer gets for selling a product with no freshness date on the bottle. This stuff tastes dead. I could make a better beer than this with an all-extract homebrew kit. Bear Republic should be ashamed of themselves for allowing their product to sit on shelves this long. I've tried two of their beers now and both of them were bland, boozy disasters.

EDIT: Another BA graciously told me where to find freshness data on the bottle. Turns out that despite looking, I couldn't see it in the store. My bottle was nearly 8 months old. I will attempt to secure a fresher bottle and re-review this beer in the future. Until then, my review stands.

04-13-2013 21:37:59 | More by deadonhisfeet

01-22-2014 01:54:33 | More by Jpepe08
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.3/5  rDev -45.6%

Pours with a two-finger bubbly white head that fades slowly leaving a ton of lace. Clear amber color. Medium bodied. Hoppy nose. Medium carbonation. Starts crisp and finishes hoppy, very little malt sweetness. $4.60 for a 22oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, Ma.

06-26-2004 00:01:21 | More by jdhilt
BetterDarker

2.45/5  rDev -42.1%

22 ounce poured into pint glass

A - Deep amber with solid one finger head. Some lacing. Good looking beer, dark for an IPA.

S - Strong earthy hops upfront with a bit of malt in the back.

T - Tale of Two Cities here. Great taste upfront, nice hop presence, bitter in a good way, but what an horrific finish. I felt like I was drinking a cactus. My throat cried "What are you doing to me?!" and there was this horrific itchy feeling. After about 5 or 6 ounces of this it went down the drain and saved my throat with a nugget nectar.

M - Considering I practically needed to shove a back scratcher down my throat, I would say 'horrific'.

D - I love IPA's, both the single and the double. I've had a fair amount in my days, and wondered if I would ever give an IPA a bad rating. That day has come.

03-01-2010 16:13:19 | More by BetterDarker

SlowWideTurns

05-23-2012 00:47:19 | More by SlowWideTurns
mithrascruor

2.55/5  rDev -39.7%

22 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark brownish-copper color. Somewhat creamy off-white head becomes a film that laces the glass.

Smell: A sort of grainier IPA aroma, though not very strong. Grains and some hops/citrus.

Taste: Citrus aroma throughout, starting with hop bitterness and leading to a bitter rye flavor which persists into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with light carbonation and relatively smooth.

Drinkability: The rye flavor is awfully intense; hard to take.

I'll confess I'm not the biggest fan of rye, but the taste here is very bitter and way over the top. Too much for me, unfortunately.

03-08-2010 00:53:24 | More by mithrascruor
claspada

2.63/5  rDev -37.8%

The aromas are of sweet and carmel malts, followed up with nice earthy pine from the hops with a splash of citrus. Defintely some spiciness from the rye as well.

The taste at first is a nice hop expolosion that is mixed wtih the sweetness from the malts, you taste the rye more that what you can smell. The balance is somehow off here though. There too much sticky bitter hops in the finish for my liking. I would rather nave the spicy/bitterness from the rye and hop aroma in my rye ales personally. The mouthfeel is just too abbrasive for my taste. Adequate carbonation.

Overall this may be a good beer but it is just slightly unbalanced for my liking. Defintely bitter, spicy and really hoppy. Not enough malt backbone to be a complete winner for me. I have had many ryes and prefer others.

11-17-2010 18:10:12 | More by claspada
hopsbreath

Oregon

2.65/5  rDev -37.4%

Twelve ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. This is my third one in the past week, not because I particularly like it, but because I'm stuck with the four-pack I picked up.

The dark murky mahogany body has a lot of large particulate in suspension with a two finger crown of tan head sitting on top. Spotty lacing shows up throughout the drink.

Smell is the best part but seems like a big hoppy barleywine rather than an IPA. Big tropical fruits would dominate the nose were it not for the heavy malts intertwined throughout.

Tastes similar to a barleywine like I expected. Cloyingly sweet malt base has quite a bit of metallic bitter hops in conjunction. The spice I associate with rye is not really there. Why add the rye if its not going to star here? Not my favorite.

Mouthfeel is thick, syrupy, and sticky. Personal preference alert, but I prefer IPA's to have a thinner body.

Drinkability is on the low end. Big, heavy, and metallic just don't do it for me.

Like I said at the beginning of my review, I bought a whole 4-pack of this stuff and am now trying to drink through it although its taking over a week. This is not on my "must try list" but I do recommend, if you do try it, to simply by a single to determine for yourself if you like it.

06-29-2010 02:07:02 | More by hopsbreath
stckhndlr

2.68/5  rDev -36.6%

A- Nice dark amber color but there was no head and very sad lacing.

S- Has alot of hops. strong hop smell but there is a hint of what to me smells like kalamata olives. don't get me wrong I like kalamatas but not in my beer.

T- This is like dating a really hot chick that later tells you later that she has turrets. Starts off great but goes down hill fast. great flavor up front with a hint of citrus blueberries. but the aftertaste is horrible. kinda like when you throw up in your mouth and then swallow. has that stomach acid taste.

M- feels great. has a spicy bite with a creamy feel.

D- Drinking it is fine, as long as you keep drinking it. It when you stop that it goes bad.

02-06-2011 18:53:23 | More by stckhndlr
Maudite

2.7/5  rDev -36.2%

Maybe I missed something, especially after reading other reviews in comparison with my notes, but, after two tries with the same results, I am just unimpressed.

A- This pours a fine looking AIPA: Creamy, thick sticky head with tremendous doily lacing. Body is a deep, ruby copper, a few shades darker than typical. Good looking beer.

S- The nose as well is great, but probably the only part of the beer that I could say is well constructed, or even remotely balanced. The large amount of hops blended well with the rye malt creating a nose laden with pine, citrus, woody-floral, astringent, minty. I'd buy this for an air freshener rather than a beverage.

T- I was excited to try this, because every other rye beer I've had has been exceptional. The hops were too aggressive on the pallet, in that they come across as unbalanced and conflicting. I wanted to taste the smooth almost minty/oaky quality that rye can lend, but all I got was a flavor I can only equate to tree sap. The hops were not very citric as the nose let on, and the bitterness was just over bearing. I had to force my way through this beer. I normally love hoppy beers, when balanced properly (Deschutes Fresh Hop ale being a good example of great balance). As it got more to room temperature the flavors balanced better, and I appreciated the fact that they stayed in my mouth for around 5 minutes after a swallow. With some tweaking of the hop bill this could be a world class beer, but I was left confused and disappointed.

M- Like I said, the hops do alot of things to your mouth. Some good, some not as pleasant. All in all I'd say that the feeling your mouth gets from this beer is enjoyable, disregarding the flavor.

D- I'd like to try it again and see if perhaps a third time is the charm, but I cannot recommend this beer.

04-17-2008 21:25:31 | More by Maudite

04-07-2013 17:36:11 | More by jmilo64
dwitt24

Washington

12-07-2013 03:46:36 | More by dwitt24
Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic Brewing Co.