Hop Rod Rye - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Hop Rod RyeHop Rod Rye

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character.

2009 California State Fair – GOLD
2003 California State Fair – GOLD
2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) – GOLD

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 03-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Rod Rye Alström Bros

chippo33, Mar 12, 2013

KISSFR33K, May 28, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -35%

Been looking forward to trying this one for a long time and thanks go out to sdawson for making it happen.

Brown and boring is how I'd describe it. No vibrant colors. Not opaque but bordering on it to a degree. Looks like a brown ale without the pretty brown head. Meh.

Average is the smell here. No overpowering hop aroma, no distinct malt presence, nothing great at all. A little faint spice (from the rye?) on the end but again, meh.

Since I consider myself an IPA guy, this one is below the average for the ones that I've had so hence, the score. The citrusy hops are muted, the malt just seems lazy, and the two in combination don't add up to anything spectacular. The only bright spot is the rye, which adds a spicy finish with sort of a peppery flavor. I wouldn't say it tasted bad, but it's not good. Sorta below average. Not even a meh. More like a blah.

Mouthfeel is nice and full. Carbonation level is right where I like it to be. Slick but not oily. Pretty good.

If this was the only craft at the bar, I'd have another one. But... I wouldn't seek this out again and that's too bad because for the most part I really like Bear Republic. I won't hold it against the brewery, but there are much better IPA's out there. Meh.

livewire78, Jan 22, 2011

skyisland, Dec 29, 2012

nharres, Apr 04, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -33.8%

This one had a beautiful head when I poured it. Easily 3 or 4 fingers of a nice light brown foam.

Pours a nice, dark, cloudy amber color. This one isn't filtered (yay!).

The taste begins with a malt flavor that is dominated by hops. The malt fades away, but the hops lingers for quite a while.

Beings that I am not a big fan of hops, this scored low on the drinkability factor for me. I would gladly try this beer again, but wouldn't have more than one at a time, probably.

gromis, Jan 04, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't have a lot to say about this beer. The rye character just didn't come through for a beer that brags on the label to have 18% rye in the grain bill.

Nice color and drinkable, but maybe I got an old bottle. It didn't seem to be super hoppy or have a distinct rye character. The bottle art is misleading. Not a bad beer, just not something I would buy again.

The label also seems to have another marketing error. It states the sediment might be there in the bottle due to a "truck-load of hops". It has been my experience that hops settle out pretty well in brewing and it is just yeast sediment in a bottle. Kind of shook my faith in Bear Republic to see that statement.

HayesdaHophead, Apr 08, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -31.4%

It's a dark but clear brown, I couldn't get much of a head on the pour.

Little citric with grainy earth tones, rye of course.

Not so bitter, I'd have to call it a notched-down IPA. Carbonation isn't so aggressive, same goes for the hops. Seemed to be a one note brew here. Maybe I'm just not that into rye, it is sorta floral and sorta spicy but I'm not picking up much sweetness. Hop Rod's not offensive, but it's not terribly interesting either.

pants678, Mar 04, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Disclaimer, I did get this on sale - a sign it could be an old sample. Still its high alcohol, high hops soooo

A - Dark brown ambery colour pour heavy with fairly prominent head. That faded fairly quickly to a little bit of a surface cover.

S - Very hoppy with caramel/malty flavors coming thru. More bitter than citrus smelling...

T - Very diff with the rye, seems strong here vs other rye ipa's. starts off with caramel malt tones quickly succumbing to the massive hop profile. Rye hits in the middle with a strange spiciness you won't find in any non-rye beer. Finish is a little sweet and syrupy.

M - Pretty good, but it does straddle the too sweet / syrupy zone a little too close for me. Has a slightly creamy feel overall.

D - Not that great actually. Again I might have a bunk sample but this isn't the first time I've had the beer. Frankly its too sweet on the malts for me - vs other local "strange IPA's" beers with an emphasis on the hop profile. Comparing this to Nelson from Alpine (another rye ipa) isn't even a competition. This is a good beer to compare to others, but its not a regular in my cellar....

Dijeriduster, Dec 11, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -30.3%

Light brown two finger head poured from 22 oz.'er. Deeper than normal copper for an IPA, more copper than orange, and there was the expected haze. Very nice lacing. Aroma -citrus, and diacetyl malt. Taste - the citrus hops, of course and slight diacetyl, somewhat less than aroma had me expecting, which is good because I rather dislike the diacetyl taste, instead the malt had a small somewhat doughy taste upfront, which I suspect is due to the rye, but then diacetyl aftertaste made unusally bitter by the citrusy hops. The mouth was fairly smooth owing to the hops, and somewhat more carbonated than I expect or want for an IPA, leaving a slightly thick, and bitter coating. Diacetyl usaully ruins a brew for me and this is the case here- Hop Rod was an okay ride- but one I think will let pass me by when hitchhiking the HopHead Highway.

ultralarry2006, Mar 30, 2006

Matt_Rodgers, Jun 07, 2013

beercanman, Apr 02, 2013

BSuter, Feb 12, 2014

cutout, Jun 30, 2013
Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic Brewing Co.