Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Hop Rod Rye | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Hop Rod RyeHop Rod Rye

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character.

2009 California State Fair – GOLD
2003 California State Fair – GOLD
2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) – GOLD

Added by Quaffer on 03-27-2002

Reviews: 2,068 | Ratings: 4,650
4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

A - pours a dark amber color, almost a hazy brown

S - grainy and breadlike aroma mixed with citrus hops

T - caramel flavor followed by a rye grapefruity taste

M - nice body and carbonation

D - very drinkable, very balanced flavoring masks the taste of alcohol

This is a great bomber, very hoppy yet balanced by the rye malt.

4.03/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours a dark gold color with a small white head that laces up the side of the glass. The smell is nice, fresh, hoppy and almost a little starchy at the end. It smells very rich for lack of a better term. The beer is initially sweet and a little fruity up front, less carbonated than most IPAs, and then the real profile starts to set in. The rye is very rich and malty but the hops really define the aftertaste. Very dry and very bitter finish. A little flat and syrupy but a really nice balance of the rye and the hops definitely would purchase this one again.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

To me this one is slightly above okay, I liked it its not my favorite though and don't think I would buy it again. I like it more than an torpedo which I found similar but this one kept changing on me from hoppy to sweet, on my fourth pint bottle I even got a hard cheese and soy sauce. I did like the boozy end it gave me sometimes. I like my Ipa a bit on the light side, easy drinking and not too sweet so I have to give this one a slightly above OK rating which is good but not great.

4.21/5  rDev -0.7%

American IPA or DIPA or rye IPA?!?! Who the hell knows? So judgement based primarily on not pinning it down to a specific style. Great spicy bitterness from the rye and amazing hop presence throughout. Not much balance so I can see why many would not identify it in the DIPA category as a strong malt backbone is required by some to qualify as a good IPA. I can't pin down the style and can easily identify it as all the 3 I mentioned as well as dare I say an American strong ale to boot. Good solid beer my only qualm and it is a small one is I tried this in a 22oz bomber and the mouthfeel and flavor seemed to dissipate on the last 1/2 of the bomber. Not sure if this is available in 12oz bottles but if so I would like to re-visit it in that format. Nonetheless no matter the "identity" of this beer it is a very satisfying experience. Couldn't taste the alcohol at all but after finishing it and typing this up it is slightly sneaking up on me. Excellent job Bear Republic!

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

A - Brown with hints of red

S - Hops, caramel, smells delicious

T - sweetness up front, can definitely taste the rye, strong floral hoppy bitterness on the finish. Bigtime malt backbone to support it.

M - Terrificly thick

D - Very tasty brew. 1 bomber would probably be my limit though as the ABV and powerful flavor would probably be too much to have a few.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

Very nice aroma, mainly of citrus hops, rye bread, and fruit. The appearance was a reddish brown, off-white head. the head persisted, and there was some lacing. Very attractive. The flavor was citrus hops, sweet malts, dark fruit, raisins, and some rye seeds (not as much as I might have thought). The finish is pure citrus hops, and lingers on the palate. Medium thick mouthfeel. Very drinkable, and enjoyable. Good beer for this season (fall).

4.07/5  rDev -4%

A: Deep reddish-amber beer with a short-lived pale beige head. Scattered dots of foam remain on the glass by the end.

S: Crisp, citric hop aroma wafts from the glass with floral & pine notes.

T: Bitter up front, with toasted & deeply caramelized malts, but mostly dry in nature. Some fruity esters. Accent towards the hops, but with great balance. Lengthy finish with lingering bitterness and grapefruit peel. My tongue feels like its coated by hops! Towards the end as it warms, I pick up an almost cocoa-like aromatic undertone.

M: Heavy side of medium bodied with a good mouthfeel and a light carbonation bite.

D: Tasty & substantial beer, I savored this slowly. Not one I'd have several pints of at one go!

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Dark amber with nice 1/4 in. and lacing that sustains throughtout.
Nice aroma of citus and pine.
Creamy with light carbonation.
Slight bitterness on back end. More drying than I care for.
Definitely on the "won't let you down" list for Hopheads.
With the alc content, not a good idea to imbibe too many.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

I had this beer on tap at my favorite pizzeria/watering hole. A very impressive looking beer, dark amber in color, with an nice, long-lasting head.

The aroma was striking -- among the best I've ever sampled. My nose was a bit stuffy with the cold weather, but no more after a whiff of this. Fresh hops came through loud and clear, along with enough sweet malt to round out the experience.

The flavor can give even the most jaded taste buds a workout, starting out with a full-spectrum hops flavor, followed by a mellow maple-malt finish.

Mouthfeel was very good. A nice texture to go along with full flavor.

It's tough for such a bold brew to be drinkable, but the brewers did a creditable job. Aside from a slight acidity on the roof of my mouth, I had few complaints.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

A: dark amber brown, fluffy head, lacing,

S: bright citrus hops, spicy, smells fresh

T: hops and rye malts blend together for some spice,

M: lighter body, expected a real heavy beer almost like double ipa.

D: easy drinker any time of the year. will drink often.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Served from bottle into new Sam Adams glass.

Excellent deep mahogany color. Deep reddish brown that looks great when held up to a light. Nice head that had pretty good retention. Great lacing.

Tons of hops in the nose. Much more than I initially expected. Almost smells like a completely straightforward west coast IPA with its citrusy notes. There's definitely a little something extra in there that makes in in its own category.

If you taste it before it warms up (I'm guilty -- I couldn't wait) you really get a great hop flavor, but not a whole lot of depth. The rye flavor really doesn't come out until you let it open up a little. Once it does, it moves into an absolutely great taste. You gotta love hops for this one, but its definitely not a gimmick IPA -- the rye adds a great balance.

Extremely smooth and delicious. I could easily drink a couple of these, and if it wasn't for the 8%, I'd be thrilled to drink more than just a couple.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bomber into a tulip.

Before I review, I have to share that my first real craft brew epiphanies happened at a wedding in Sonoma Co about 2 years ago. I was drinking Russian River (Santa Rosa) and Bear Republic (nearby Healdsburg) at the rehearsal dinner and reception before I knew how lucky I was. I just wanted an interesting beer and these were the local choices. I was so impressed that I have never ordered a BMC since.

A- Pours a deep mahogony. It is almost black with just a faint redness that makes me want to remind it, "You're a hoppy, not a malty ale, OK." Nice off-white head to it with a lace, no doubt from the assertiveness of the hop profile.

S- Floral hops up front with a sweeter, grainier malt scent that was already balancing what was no doubt going to be a tasty beer.

T- Delicious! I knew what it was ( A rye based American IPA) going in to it, but I still love the "this beer tastes so different than it should" effect. Reminds me of one of Stone's anniversary ales (Black IPA) that I found to be equally tasty and beautiful. Hoppy up front with a sweet malty(maybe rye incluenced) middle leading to a dry finish. Maybe, just maybe, a bit of warm alcohol lingering.

M- Hop Oils are present with a complimentary grainy-resiny mouthfeel. This has an easy carbonation to it that lends to its element of surprise.

D- I do love the hops, so I would say that this is quite drinkable. It is a tad high on the ABV spectrum but I could/would honestly open a second bomber, if I had one.

Being from California, I am fortunate that Bear Republic Beers are so tasty and readily available in my area. The full line is always on stock at multiple locations.

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%

Strong and pleasing aroma of sweet and spicy malt with citrus hops. Very American in both malt and hops. I'm guessing the pineapple and pine aroma comes from the same Columbus and Cascade hops that's featured in their Racer 5 IPA. The rye makes the beer slightly spicy and considerably darker than the IPA. It pours a deep reddish orange with a big fluffy off-white head that lasts long beyond the final drop. The taste is a fine balance between the sweet malt, spicy rye, and citrus hops. No component outshines the other. It's full bodied with a smooth texture and a lingering bittersweet finish. This beer is full and satisfying with a delicately balanced character that allows you to fully enjoy each drop which is remarkable for a style in which so many others punch you in the face with just one element. This is definitely my new favorite Double IPA. Highly recommended.

4.74/5  rDev +11.8%

This is a big, dirty beer with attitude to be loved.

Just opening the bottle released an overpowering smell of hops, hops and more hops with a chaser of rye smell.

A dark beer with a load of lace and attitude. After first mouthful I could feel the piney taste of hops stuck to the roof of my mouth.

This is not a beer for sipping as a big mouth will just be a massive hop explosion of taste.

The kicker is the rye. I felt it just complemented the amount of hops to give a big balance.

Amazing beer - but best left to last as anything else will be completely tasteless as Hop Rod Rye will claim your palate for its own!

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Darker than expected - nice dark ale color, slightly opaque, with a fine-bubbled head that left some stringy lacing.

S: Catch a little rye, as expected - can sense the hops which adds a citrusy element, and can smell a little carmelly roastiness as well.

T: Quite complex - hit with hops, initially, then some sweet maltiness, and finishes with rye/bitters.

M: Smooth warming heat, with some prickly carbonatino.

D: Great complex flavors makes it a joy to drink - high ABV makes it a slight challenge. I'll happily go down trying.

4.99/5  rDev +17.7%

First beer I have ever given a perfect score to. This beer will spoil your taste buds, I promise you that. Not sure what they have done here, or how much the rye plays a part, but this is one killer beer, in every respect. If this beer were a little cheaper in cost, it would become my main beer.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On Tap at Anam Cara

Medium white head, mostly lasting. Clowdy orange-red hue. The aroma was mostly of the bittering hops with some sweetness coming through. Sweet beginning taste with the huge hop flavor coming through in the middle and at the end in a big way... Detect a small grapefruit flavor on the palate as it lingered in my mouth. Light to Medium bodied with a dry texture and lively carbonation. Wonderfully hoppy IPA style -- hopped to the extremes.

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance - Pours a beautiful, mahogany brown with a fine, off-white head

Aroma - Complex. Dark fruit, touch of pineapple, brandy-soaked cherries, bold, funky hops, maybe even a little bit like pumpernickel bread - a really nice, deep, intriguing set of smells going on in this one

Taste - not shy on the IBUS or the ABV. This is a pretty big beer. But, oh boy, what a tasty treat! Bold, hoppy, fruity, almost vinous,...this one really fills the mouth with flavor. A little kiss of sweetness and a touch of a floral thing going on as well. Big, expressive, really nice!

Mouthfeel - Pretty much perfect carbonation for me. No complaints here.

Drinkability - I'm on my first one right now. I'll have to see how I progress through this 4-pack, but as I've usually found out the hard way, if it's sold in a 4-pack there's probably a good reason for that. Although right now this is going down pretty darn well!

3.9/5  rDev -8%

A- Dark red/copper color with a thin white head. Head fades somewhat rapidly. Moderate lacing down the glass.

S- Hops, some malt presence. Very fresh, inviting smell.

T- Tastes like your standard IPA, lots of fresh bitter hops, a slight rye taste. I was hoping for more rye, but this is technically an IPA, not a rye beer.

M- Good amount of carbonation.

D- Pretty drinkable, but I dont think I would have more than 2 in a sitting.

Other- I have mixed feelings about this beer. Dont get me wrong, Its a great beer, and I enjoyed it, I was just hoping for more rye I guess.

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

Just purchased one of these at TW in Alexandria. Drank from a Bells glass, chilled to perfection

A: Deep coppery-red with a light brown 2-finger head. Nice, foamy lacing when glass is tilted.

S: definite hops, grapefruit and malts

T: Grand!! Slightly bitter up front with lots of grapefruit and very little pines or resins. Some malts and a bit of rye (I wonder why the rye??!!) Finish is smooth and dry with no hop build-up.

O: This is a keeper!! Abundantly available here, even in the groceries, It is reasonably priced and a real hop-hog. I like this beer to no end!! At 8% ABV, almost a DIPA and a sessionable on at that!! To the bear I say: RRROOOAAARRR!!!

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Sadly, I didn't get a chance to pour this one due to lack of a clean glass. Looking through the tinted bottle, though, I feel that I can still judge its appearance a little. I can see that it is a deep, thick amber and (if I had a clean pint glass) I'm just about positive that it would pour a pretty creamy head.

Smells hoppy in one of the greatest ways that I can remember a beer smelling; reminds me of "hazed and infused", "hop wallop", and (too a much lesser extent) a number of IPA's. As one would expect from the explanation on the bottle, rye is definitely what is dominant on the nostrils.

Rye and intense, organic hops are definitely what dominate the palate as well with this one. I was thinking, at first, that this one was going to lean more to the direction of being an extremely hoppy specialty ale like hazed an infused, but after a few sips, I am convinced that it is definitely an IPA, and to be completely honest, it is probably my favorite of the style that I have sampled thus fur, which is saying a lot because I have tried many an IPA.

The mouthfeel is creamy and thick and wonderful. I really don't think that I could ask for too much more in this department, in regard to an IPA.

I could definitely knock back a few of these. I drank 1 pint 6 fluid oz. a lot faster than I thought I would and it's only eleven in the morning! Note: I have been eating pizza as well (which is somewhat of a common compliment to IPAs) so its slightly possible that it is throwing off my review, but I doubt it. I will definitely purchase this beer again when I am search of something with an extremely high hop and alcohol content.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle from Stockertown Bev

The Hop Rod has a cloudy brown-reddish color with a creamy substantial head and nice lacing.

Very different aroma, the malty rye smell is dominant with some hops blended in.

Really like this,the rye and malt make this an IPA type like no other. Substantial body to it. Had a case that went fast at the last party.

Went fast, was even better as it sat for a while.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

A- A deep redish/brown with very light coming threw. A nice off white foamy head with rediculous retention.
S- A dominance of spicy hop aroma with a hint of rye and maltiness.
T- The hops control most of the flavor here but rye deffinatley comes threw in the end giving a nice pleasent dry finish. The rye really compliments the heavy hop character well.
M- Alot of carbonation massages the mouth which lightens this medium bodied brew.
D- Pretty good which kinda makes me wish I brought two of these bombers.

3.72/5  rDev -12.3%

Body has an amber/ruby color to it.
Nice tan head with superb lacing all the way down the glass.
The light hops smell didn't impress me all that much. Maybe my sniffer wasn't up to par this day?
The mouthfeel was rather heavy, with a dry hoppy/spicy taste. It had a Great lasting kickass spice finish taste.
I couldn't do more than 2 pints, so the drinkability suffered there.
Here's a first for me... Yes a burpability factor of 10. HAHA I can't believe I'm writing this... but really a great taste of nothing but some spicy hops.

3.91/5  rDev -7.8%

A- copperish hue with a little murky sediment

S- dark maltyness with a sweet and bitter tone overall, doesnt smell exceptionally hopped

T- delicious! thicker body, prolly cause of the rye, soft and palatable without a heavy hop characteristic. the abv content overall makes for a sweeter and deeper ryePA that i particularly enjoy!

overall i can appreciate this beer, i am HUGE fan of Rogenbier which is a rye-style hef that i prefer to regular weizenboch's and trying it in a commercial aspect is very tasty!

buy it, especially cause its a good price!

Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic Brewing Co.