Hop Rod Rye - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Hop Rod RyeHop Rod Rye

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character.

2009 California State Fair – GOLD
2003 California State Fair – GOLD
2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) – GOLD

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 03-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Rod Rye Alström Bros
Buggabeer

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

A. Nice dark red in color. Poured to a nice head which quickly went away as you drank it.

S. Nice hop floral sent with the presence of dough. Picking up some other sent however I do have a cold so i cannot figure it out.

T. Liking this quite a bit. It has a really nice finish to it not over powered by bitterness. That's a plus for me.

M. Nice carbonation but not over done.

D. Drink...may I have another and another...please.

11-03-2010 22:19:20 | More by Buggabeer
Torps

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a deep plum color with a one finger off white head which dissipated to leave a soapy ring of head and carbonation lining the rim. Lots of lacing. Aroma is sweet malts, rye(of course), dark fruits, and a hint of resinous, pine-y hops. Not very hop forward so this may be a touch aged. Tastes like a rye ale with a biting bitter back end. Bit of grapefruit and floral-ness lingers on the back of my tongue. Mouthfeel is great. Not super drinkable as I think the bitterness has ruined my palate after only one and I consider myself fond of hop forward brews.

10-30-2010 22:40:23 | More by Torps
Phelps

Arizona

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

A: Pours a deep maroon that's dark yet clear, with oodles of floating flakes. A one-finger, thick head of khaki foam quickly becomes a hefty top layer, never really leaving completely. It leaves full, tacky sheets of lace as I drink.

S: Skittles! Citrusy and super-sweet, I'm picking up notes of tangerines, orange juice, strawberry, orange blossom, lilac and lime.

T: Again, lime skittles. Taste the rainbow! Dank hops hit at the start, expanding to bitter notes that linger and grip the sides of the tongue. Mid-palate I get hints of toasted crackers, spicy pepper and rye, while flavors of orange and grapefruit peel linger at the finish. Pretty sweet throughout.

M: medium-high, prickly carbonation tickles the tongue amidst a medium-light and slightly runny body.

D: Hop Rod Rye strikes a lovely balance between sweetness and bitterness. It's very drinkable and interesting enough to keep you pondering while you do.

10-25-2010 20:59:30 | More by Phelps
chalsk

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a dark amber, almost brownish color with a white soapy head. Has an aroma of grapefruit and caramel with hints of pine and rye. Sweet and malty, with a nice hop hit and more sweetness on the backend. Just delicious. I do not normally like rye pale ales, but this is perfectly balanced.

10-23-2010 01:41:36 | More by chalsk
evansrdbrew

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Drank on 3/14/10
22 oz. In pint glass

A- beautiful 1/4" head was slow to disappiate, leaving a lace of bubbles and foam. Dark copper red/brown translucent ale.

S- hints of sweetness with fruity hop notes mingles with roasted malts.

T- delicous roast malt and rye flavors along with hints of chocolate. Has a great heavy, fruity,dried fruit hop flavor. sweet notes start in the middle and continue through the finish.

MF- nice mouth coating with med. Body. Nice smooth bitterness rounds it out with no dryness.

D- hides its abv well. Another great rye beer with fantastic roast malt and hop flavors. Delicious and possibly my favorite rye ipa.

10-21-2010 16:09:36 | More by evansrdbrew
jbowers56

Australia

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Lovely red colour with a cream coloured head that just sits there. Plenty of lacing. Super clear despite being unfiltered.

Nose is good, but I think its a few months old so lacking some pungency. I get grapefruit, pine, some leafiness, and also some slight rye notes.

A little maltier than I expected. First off I get a strong caramel malt presence. This is immediately backed up by grapefruit taking my tongue for a ride. Bitterness is definitely up there. The alcohol content is NOWHERE to be seen. Loving the rye in there. As a rye noob it reminds me of rye whiskey which I love.

Feels great in the mouth. Super creamy but adequate carbonation and a great hop presence clean it up sufficiently.

Drinkability would be higher, i think, if this were a little fresher. Some of the pungency of the hops is missing. Its all still there but a really strong juicy hop flavour would help make this more enticing to sip on. Brewed in april.

10-21-2010 12:40:58 | More by jbowers56
fourplayed

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

12 oz glass. 1" light brown/tan head..creamy medium lacing, Dark Brown/Amber w/ red/orange highlights when held up to the light.

Smell is clean, mild hops, Sweet roasted malts, some citrus notes, and herbal presense(rye).

Taste: Big Hops, nice Sweet malts-smooth, rye comes out more, citrus hints still there. hops and malt sweetness linger at end...nice!

Mouthfeel: Full body, smooth maltiness, nice hops bite and dryness. mild carbonation is good. Mild alcohol warmth.

Overall a nice red ale surprise! Rye works well along with mild sweetness, malts and hops. well crafted and balanced. xtra hops and nice sweetness that longers made this work for me.

10-20-2010 17:57:31 | More by fourplayed
Siegmund

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a bottle into a SAPP

It didn't pick up as great of a head as I'd like, but it was there. same with the lacing. The glass had been through the dishwasher once or twice, so it might not be the beers fault. It has a beautiful color, a deep coper with just a hint of mustyness. It kinda smelled like a typical IPA, but the rye in the taste makes it stand apart. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it but I've already purchased another Rye IPA to try (Founders). The high ABV is hidden well, so I could drink this all night.

10-20-2010 02:59:55 | More by Siegmund
keith712

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber bottle into a 1.5l hefeweizen glass that promotes head retention due to scoring along the sides and bottom to create nucleation points for the CO2.

Appearance: Pours a deep, almost scotch like color. A HUGE head was presented that hung around a bit and stayed a solid 1/2" thick throughout the glass. This is a simply beautiful beer!

Nose: Spicy, pungent, crisp, sharp, powerful. Hops, hops, and some mild grapefruit and pine notes. Typical to me perhaps for a strong IPA, I really don't smell the rye malts.

Flavor: WOW! What can I say, not super complex, but it has EVERYTHING I want in an IPA, the rye malts are noticeably different and add a certain punch that is hard to define. Fairly dry, high carbonation, and crazy crisp.This is a "turbo hops" beer that might be a bit overpowering to an IPA n00b.

Mouth feel: Superb. Medium feel, high carbonation, begs for another mouth full! (easy on the jokes fellas). Crisp on the palate, pungent on the cheeks, and it makes my mouth happy. It thickens a bit as it warms and the flavors do become more pronounced, certainly a sign of a wonderful beer.

Drinkability: Can I have another? The alcohol at 8% is well hidden and I could down these easily in a session with friends, although by the terminology of a "session" beer...you are going to be quite high by the time you drink 3-4 of these. What else to say, it goes down easily and the flavor makes you want more, more, more.

Overall: I give this IPA an easy 9.5 of 10 points. Simply a superb beer.

EDIT: 12-28-10, drank another full bomber of this beer. Simply wonderful. Huge fluffy and creamy head that lasts, nice change of pace for a good IPA, the rye is awesome, the flavor gets better as you go through the glass and smooths nicely as it approaches 55+ degrees. I am going to make this a mainstay.

10-20-2010 01:00:54 | More by keith712
Bfarr

Washington

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

Hazy brown with big tan foamy/frothy head with great retention and good lacing all though it became a little spotty and clumpy. Robust rye and citrus hop aroma. Balanced rye and grapefruit with caramel sweetness in the background and a nice rye bread linger. No alcohol in taste and a mouthfeel that is very smooth and silky with a light stickiness on the lips.

Very simple yet completely engaging with a bit of different flavor in the rye. It has fantastic consistency to make it an easy and pleasureable beer experience.

10-18-2010 23:30:25 | More by Bfarr
ratedz

Kansas

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured a 5 ounce sample at a recent tasting party. I've had Hop Rod Rye several times before, but am just now getting around to reviewing it. It pours a deep amber color with a thin off-white head.

Smell is heavy on the citrus (grapefruit and orange), hops, and rye malt.

Taste is of sweet malts as well as the citrus flavors that were also evident in the nose. Overall, an awesome tasting beer that I will buy again.

Medium body and very smooth feel. Light to moderate carbonation. At 8%, a very drinkable beer that I have enjoyed several times before and one that I am sure will cross my path again.

10-17-2010 22:55:46 | More by ratedz
kreeper

Wisconsin

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

A: dark amber brown, fluffy head, lacing,

S: bright citrus hops, spicy, smells fresh

T: hops and rye malts blend together for some spice,

M: lighter body, expected a real heavy beer almost like double ipa.

D: easy drinker any time of the year. will drink often.

10-17-2010 02:19:49 | More by kreeper
Imsothirsty

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a nice thick tan head.
Overall color is a dark red caramel, fairly clear

Smell is hop forward

Taste is great, hops first a short taste of brown sugar malts, and just a hint of rye sneaks in.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, a little lighter than expected from the color, medium low carbonation

Good drinkability even with a little higher abv.

10-17-2010 01:31:02 | More by Imsothirsty
noknife83

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

This was a great beer. I saw it at Bevmo, and the label drew my attention. I saw that it was a rye beer, and couldn't remember ever having a rye beer before. I decided to try something new. I was very pleased with my choice, the beer had a lot of hop flavor, but it didn't beat you over the head with the hops. And i couldn't place the aroma, but it was very nice. I would def get the beer again.

10-17-2010 01:21:11 | More by noknife83
bound4er

Wisconsin

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

A. Dark amber to ruby with an off-white head. The head sets up nicely and stays with the beer in a skim until the end.

S. Not as expressive as I thought it would be - some grain and grassy hops. The rye pokes through with some coaxing along with some booze.

T. Initial malt flavors (bread and rye) and then a big hit of piney hops. The lingering bitterness from the hops leaves a strong impression on my palate.

M. Well carbonated with a light to medium body. Could use a bit more pizzaz in the mouth.

D. Goes down pretty easily. Though I love most hop-forward beers, the lingering bitterness is a bit too much for me here. I prefer Racer 5 to this by a long shot and if I need a rye fix, I have Founders Red's Rye at the ready.

10-15-2010 01:11:09 | More by bound4er
bohemiandonut

A careful pour into a blasphemously chilled glass explodes with the densest, thickest cappuccino foam I've ever seen. The beer is ruby red mahogany with luminescent orange highlights.

I already know Bear Republic for some of the greatest IPA aromas in the world, but this takes the cake. Juicy candy grapefruit and orange dominate a subtle herbal/pine backdrop. As with Racer, sweetness teeters on the novelty with bubblegum, cotton candy, and powdered sugar on fried dough. Just the kindest hint of spicy rye is noticeable on this level.

Rye is more noticeable on the taste, rounding out the bitter hops and sweetness with its distinctive savor. The rye also adds a welcome bit of fullness to the Racer 5 profile, which was prone to the occasional metallic twang. This is a smoooth drinking beer, rich and creamy but not sticky. At $4 a bomber, this makes its way onto my top shelf. A helluva an IPA with as much to ponder as anything oaked, barreled, or double malted. Absolutely worthy of its place. Incredible.

10-13-2010 05:57:17 | More by bohemiandonut
TheHoppiest

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a copper-red, with a 1.5" ivory head that slowly reduces.

Smells of pungent citrus, grapefruit, and orange. Hints of apricot and pear, with sweet malt.

Smooth, with sweet malt, citrus hops, slight spice on the tongue, and a pleasant astringency that eases its way onto the back of the tongue. Some evergreen notes as well toward the top of the mouth help finish off this well balanced IPA.

Mouthfeel is smooth, slightly dry and not too thin.

Highly drinkable, this and Racer 5 are two of my favorite IPA's out there.

10-10-2010 19:44:53 | More by TheHoppiest
megahurts4

Louisiana

Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye Ale

Appearance: Caramel, small head, and a little lacing.

Smell: Rye, slight hops, and citrus.

Taste: Hops, slight rye, and spices such as coriander.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light and smooth.

Overall:
A very nice brew indeed. It is smooth and flavorful. I think I shall refer to it as a rye-p-a

10-10-2010 03:46:45 | More by megahurts4
kbeals

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

A- Pours a very dark amber, it's nearly black on top. A finger of fizzy white head that vanishes rather quickly. A touch of thin veils of lacing remain on the glass as I drink it.

S- Damn, good hoppy profile to it, but not to be outdone is a slightly sweet and roasted malt background. Very intriguing to say the least.

T- Very similar to the smell although the malts really take a backseat here. Good amounts of citrusy and floral hops take over, simply demolishing my tongue with its bitterness. The rye does play a role here providing a bit of graininess to it. Very tasty.

M- Slightly carbonated, medium body. Very smooth.

D- Easily drinkable. The bomber was no problem to finish off. I still fail to see how this is an IPA. Why is it not considered a rye beer?

10-09-2010 14:02:15 | More by kbeals
adam42381

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

I had this on tap at the Taphouse Grill at Ghent in Norfolk, VA on Saturday.

Appearance: Pours a deep caramel brown with ruby highlights and a 2 finger foamy off-white head. Excellent head retention and lacing.

Smell: Caramel malt and citrus hops.

Taste: Caramel malt up front followed by citrus hops in the middle and bitter rye at the finish. Nice bitter aftertaste. Absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a decent amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Excellent drinkability. You could knock back a few of these over the course of an evening.

Overall: Probably the best IPA I've ever tasted. I just wish we could get it down here in Florida. This would be my go to beer. If you see it, try it.

Note: This review may not be precise as I didn't write down any notes while drinking. This was, however, my first beer of the evening and I think I remember everything correctly.

10-05-2010 14:14:46 | More by adam42381
mjrod2142

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass

I admit I don't know a lot about rye beers, but I expected this to taste like a Black IPA. The color was rich and brown with a thick head. The aroma had lots of citrus and somewhat of a creamy buttery-ness that I enjoyed.

The flavor was of roasted malt and not nearly as bitter on the palate as I assumed it would be based on the aroma. There was some bitterness on the initial taste, but a creaminess washes it away leaving you with a rich, roasted malty flavor that slightly bordered on chocolate.

This beer has an excellent mouth feel and and is very drinkable. I loved it.

10-03-2010 21:48:52 | More by mjrod2142
IronLover

4.4/5  rDev +4%

Deep orange to amber red and hazy with a healthy off-white head that reduces to a steady white cap. Lots of sticky lacings. Big floral, piney hop aroma wiht a hint of orange citrus. Medium body, very smooth feel. A brief sweet malty flavor that is quickly overrun by hop flavor. However, the sett malt remains beneath the hop character throughout. Floral and piney hop flavors take over every available taste bud. Finishes with a nice combination of malty sweetness and hop bitterness and a bit of an alcoholic aftertaste.

10-02-2010 05:15:05 | More by IronLover
MoreThanWine

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

My first rye. Poured a big ol' head which took a while to die down to 1". Brown but unlike so many typical browns I'd call this sort of a warm burnt umber. The smell struck me as among the likes of a strong Imperial IPA. Yet the taste was a lot less hoppy than IPAs, more typical average beer. And yes I'd say there are some flavors in common with Rye-based whiskey.

09-30-2010 09:00:06 | More by MoreThanWine
ballz50401

Iowa

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark burgundy with a big sticky, soapy looking head. Good carbonation with some sediment present.

Smell: Mostly citric hop aroma. Mango, orange, and fresh fruit with toasty, bready sweet malt.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Starts out with a big citric hop flavor before the rye malts shine through with notes of rye spice and bread crust. The finish of the brew sticks around awhile on the palate. Very well balanced and refreshing. Mouthfeel is smooth as silk, nice carbonation and mild hop bitterness.

Drinkablility: I just love these hoppy rye brews. This one is very tasty and easy to drink. I wish this was available to me locally because Hop Rod Rye and I would have a great relationship.

09-28-2010 05:26:41 | More by ballz50401
augustgarage

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Fairly clear rufous body with rust and bronze highlights. Two fingers of soapy/rocky beige foam crests above the glass. Lasting retention, sticky tendrils of lace.

Super fresh pineapple, grapefruit, kumquat, and pine in the nose - big C-hops through and through. Light spicy background note as well...

Superbly balanced flavor profile, with a lovely sweet/spicy rye taste offsetting the hop bomb (which has primarily citrus, but also substantial evergreen and maybe a little tropical note) that is full of flavor without being overly bitter. Light caramel and somewhat toasty malt evens the score further. Slightly earthy finish with a touch of pepper and anise (reminiscent of a Sazerac).

Moderately carbonated, medium-light bodied, slightly oily mouthfeel.

Immense flavor without an equal measure of bitterness - not nearly as pine or hemp forward as a lot of NorCal IPAs, this has a superior balance. After many years, this has only been eclipsed by Alpine's Nelson in my opinion as far as rye-IPAs go.

09-28-2010 01:12:31 | More by augustgarage
Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic Brewing Co.