Hop Rod Rye - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Hop Rod RyeHop Rod Rye

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character.

2009 California State Fair – GOLD
2003 California State Fair – GOLD
2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) – GOLD

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 03-27-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Rod Rye Alström Bros
fullmoonbeer

jenray

11-20-2011 04:02:21 | More by jenray
rickyleepotts

Arizona

I know, I say this every time we drink… but my travel schedule has been insane. Don’t blame me. Well, okay, blame me for the last one. We were in Florida. But we drank a LOT of beer. Didn’t write on any, but drank a ton. Anyway, we are back… for the rest of the week, anyway. Hoping to get on some sort of schedule. I might hold my breath for this one!

Let’s see if I can remember where we left off. Oh yeah, my plan for drinking. Here we go:

In the Glass: The head is thick, and sits atop the beer with authority. It seems thick from the bottle, and when the head settles it still seems thick and frothy. I like a thick head on a beer, as that means the beer itself will more than likely be thick and smooth as it goes down.

Nose: The beer smells like an IPA. I am not picking up much, if any, of the rye that they talk about. But I am sure it’s there in the mouthfeel and the aftertaste. The nose isn’t as big as I had hoped, and does not stack up to most American IPAs that I drink. The tasting notes promise for some big flavors. Let’s see!

Flavor: The beer is immediately carbonated. I don’t expect that, that’s for sure. It’s also very subtle on the tongue. It doesn’t really kick in until the beer goes down your throat and sits there on your tongue for a few minutes. The flavors at first are nearly annoying, yet come back toward the back of the palate.

Mouthfeel: I HATE the mouthfeel… initially. It’s VERY carbonated, and I hate a carbonated beer But as it settles and slides down your throat, it calms down a little bit and then settles with a great aftertaste. I just can’t get over the initial bubbles. I don’t expect that, especially with such a thick head. That sort of hurts a little!

Aftertaste: This is where the beer comes in. It nearly saves the day for the brew. The aftertaste also lingers, which I love in a beer. Especially a beer with so much bitterness. Considering how many IBUs this brew has, I expected more flavor and a more bitter aftertaste, but I’ll take it. I will take it for the time it sits there.

The beer is good, but not great. It’s just average, and for a rye I expected more. The aftertaste almost brought me back over the top, but can’t save those initial bubbles. The beer does have a big ABV, and while that is not obvious, after a few of these, and an 8% ABV, you will feel them when you stand up. With a label like that, I wanted more. Not upset, just wanted more. Either way, wherever you are tonight, bottoms up!

10-25-2011 02:36:00 | More by rickyleepotts

06-11-2013 02:04:34 | More by kevrice88
harrymel

Washington

3.03/5  rDev -28.4%

Bottled: unk, but grabbed the one with the least sediment....

Pours a dark amber with a couple fingers of light cream foam and gobs of lace. Smells of pine, resin, grapefruit and tangerine - nice west coast style IPA nose here. I like. Malty flavor with hints of spice and a little sweet hop character (like in the bag hops). Not much in the way of complex IPA though. Sweet with a bit of hop character is what I'm getting. Medium bodied with lower than anticipated carb and a semi dry finish. Decent beer, nothing special.

1st review: 23FEB11: 3/2.5/2/2/2 -2.15
A: Pours dark, deep red with limited translucency. A few more SRM's and this one would qualify for a CDA/ABA. Single finger, peanut colored head dissipates quickly leaving fairly confluent foam sheet. Limited lacing.
S: Some citrus, but predominantly, this is very, very similar to their Red Rocket - maybe because the beer has been sitting on the shelf too long - but too bad, learn to date your product. Lots of malt, smells like a red or ESB.
T: Yep, about the same as the Red Rocket. Too bad. Getting low marks for this. If an IPA is to be had fresh, date your bottles!
M: Medium body with low carbonation.
D: This beer is drinkable as is, but very, very disappointing for an IPA. Huge fail, and if not for the reasons of dating, then the beer is a fail in the style in general.

01-01-2013 06:22:14 | More by harrymel
hardy008

3.03/5  rDev -28.4%

Burnt caramel orange color with a 1 1/2 finger off white foamy head which sticks tightly to the sides of the glass. Smells of grapefruit, oranges, pine and some caramel malt.

The taste is very hoppy, with grapefruit, pine, and some orange dominating the flavor profile. I could not smell the rye, but can taste it, and some caramel malt, in the background, but the hops are the star here.

Very dry, and resinous. Medium bodied and well carbonated. Not my favorite IPA.

03-21-2010 20:30:01 | More by hardy008
Minkybut

3.1/5  rDev -26.7%

If you like hops baby this brew is for you. The beer was poured into my tumbler at 45 degrees and looked caramel colored pouring a off white head. The lacing with this beer was good. Way to hoppy for me, in fact that is all you can taste. I will not buy again.

03-21-2010 23:35:29 | More by Minkybut
doubleipa

Georgia

3.13/5  rDev -26%

As I love rye beers, I was really had my hopes up, as did my wife. We' were a bit dissapointed. While this has plenty of hoppiness, which is great, I didn't detect much, if anything, in the way of rye. There's plenty of hops an dmalt in the taste. Good bitterness.

04-21-2006 17:01:23 | More by doubleipa
hoppheadIPA

3.13/5  rDev -26%

Had to see what the hype was all about. Pours into the glass a dark orangy red color with a beautiful 1" fluffy head that laces the glass brilliantly. Smells hoppy and fresh witha a bit of malt. Taste let me down, ALOT. Something wasn't right at all. Maybe I got a bad one or something. The hops was right up front with the rye but there was a bit of a funkiness with it. Maybe I'll get another and see. Drinkability was low due to the taste. This doesn't compare to other IPA's at all. Sorry for the bad review, but it didn't do much for me.

01-02-2009 15:25:07 | More by hoppheadIPA
zoolzoo

Connecticut

3.18/5  rDev -24.8%

Thanks Charlatansin

Delerium snifter

Pours a clear, dark mahogany brown, minimal head. This thing smells floral and earthy. Im not getting a blast of citrus like some people are describing. Really, this smells like a bouquet of flowers with some caramel malts thrown in. Booze is nowhere to be found in the nose. Im not really impressed here

As far as taste, the hops are no longer floral but purely bitter. A tinge of citrus hops are present but bitterness dominates the palate. Caramel malt and rye spiciness appear mid palate, the finish is bone dry, and surprisingly nutty. Texturally, this is pretty good. Creamy, medium carbonation.

For 8% beer I can barely find a hint of alcohol. That has to count for something right? Drinkability is pretty good.

Overall this just isnt one of my favorite rye beers. The most off putting thing for me was the aroma. I have a suspicion that this might be a bad bottle or something, the taste seemed faded compared to other rye IPAs Ive had.

03-27-2010 19:26:09 | More by zoolzoo
Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic Brewing Co.