Hop Rod Rye - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Hop Rod RyeHop Rod Rye

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Quaffer on 03-27-2002

A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character.

2009 California State Fair – GOLD
2003 California State Fair – GOLD
2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) – GOLD
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Rod Rye Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,062 | Hads: 4,602
4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Large light tan sticky head. Very dark deep amber body.

S: Sweet hoppy smell. Hint of something else sweet, like caramel.

T: Subtle hops. A little less so than the smell. Extremely balanced hop/malt/yeast flavor. Slightly bitter. A little pine aftertaste.

M: Rich, fills the mouth. Perfect combination, not dry.

O: Outstanding IPA. Darker, richer and more balanced than I am used to.

Not going to give the same ole type of review for Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye. No way! This is my most favorite beer in all the lands. From the opening aromas of rye and hops gently wafting into the air, to the wonderful dark pour and oh so wonderful rocky, creamy, off white head that stays with you like a best friend, and leaving the most wonderful lace, to the malty/bready/caramel rye flavor and truly perfect balance of hops and carbonation, to the finish that begs you to take another sip, this beer is king. Bear Republic is a brewer that has never let me down. Hop Rod Rye is hoppy rye heaven in a bottle!

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Burnt orange in color, this beer loves an aggressive pour. Great head retention with multiple pours. Looks tasty.

Smell is wonderfully hoppy and citrusy (if that's a word). Perhaps my favorite smelling beer.

Taste is powerful for an IPA. A little rough, perhaps the rye. Long, lingering bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is clean, with fine carbonation.

Drinkability? You bet. Goes down easy.

This beer is one of my favorites. The taste is different than your typical IPA (in a good way).

4.75/5  rDev +12%

This is one you simply have to try if you haven't allready.Had a 20 oz draft. When served just a perfect frothy head with excellant retention. A beautiful ruby brown color. Aroma is all hops with a light piney aroma.Lots of hop flavor but balanced well as a roasted rye flavor is not hidden. Smooth and creamlike on the tongue with a carbonation level that is right on. Could probably have several of these but the higher A.B.V. would be tough to handle unless just staying at home.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

A- Deep amber with 3 fingers of foam that lasted forever.

S- Usual suspects pine and citrus with a little spice.

T- Caramel malt, can really taste the rye, very good. Great balance, the hop bitterness goes well with the 18% rye.

M- Coats the tongue nicely but not too much

D- The balance, smoothness, and mouthfeel make this beer very drinkable.

Get this beer!

4.26/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a nice mohagony color. Lacing is outstanding just like the Ipa. If you didn't read the bottle you would never know this one had 8% alcohol. Great tasting beer, in which one can get in trouble with. Bear Republic, make some very good IPAs. These I would consider to session beers, because you can drink more than one because of the great taste. If anyone hasn't tried Bear Republic than they should, awesome double IPA. I want to state something about Bear Republics IPAs, they are dangerous, they are enjoyable to drink and one can drink one after the other. Awesome beer.

4.62/5  rDev +9%

App. It poured a lovely red/brown w/ a good amount of small bubbles forming a lasting light tan head. The lacing lasted all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Sml. Delicious! Rich! It has a heavy malt smell with pleasant rye/wheat bread notes. There are hints of caramel and honey, spice, and breakfast cereal in there. This mixes w/ the incredibly fragrant hop aromas. We found citrus (grapefruit), mint, and cinnamon. (My kids help with the smelling phase.)

Taste Wow! There is a lot going on in that bottle, a lot of good stuff. First I though of the sprouted grain breads that you can buy in health food stores, especially the ones with dried fruit. There is a big malt base that's followed by a rye sourness. Then the hops hit with bitter and herbs and pine. A great balance, it all works together. I don't feel that any one thing overpowers, but I like sour. The after taste stays with you, and you want more.

MF. This beer has a thickness and weight and the carbonation seems just right. The after taste is quite dry considering the malty feel.

Drinkability- Huge tastes, I will be going back for more.

This went well with our pasta and sauce. Then after with two stinky artesian goat cheeses form VT and English wheat biscuits, also paired nicely with an organic sharp cheddar from Nieghborly farm.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

In Ohio besides Columbus IPA and Sierra Nevada Torpedo this is the next best selection at most Giant Eagles, Whole Foods and etc.

However I live in California and have a much wider selection to choose from and this is not one that I would regularly pick up.

Its definitely worth trying if you have never had it before, just to put it on your list of IPA's.

3.38/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured into a tall glass from a 22.

A- The first thing I notice is chunks, floating, and not a small amount. I get it, it's an unfiltered beer, but man, is it hazy and I never find floating chunks, be it hop residue, rye, yeast, whatever, appealing. The color is a dark gold/amber, head is a yellowish cream color and retains nicely.

S- Prominent hoppy aroma with floral and fruit notes. Much more appealing than the appearance, I'm actually excited again.

T- Unfortunately, excitement was short lived. Bitter hoppiness prevails. I don't see the balance from the malt that I'd expect. I'm not sure I really like what the rye is bringing to the table, either, compounds the bitterness a bit, I think. It seems appropriately alcohol-y, but I'm missing something on the malt end

M- It lingers for a little bit, then fades, leaving a little too much bitter hoppy aftertaste

D- Meh. Given the ratings, I was expecting much more. While I'm not the ultimate hop head, I do appreciate many super hoppy beers, this just isn't one of my favorites. I think it's adventurous and unique, but I doubt I'd drink more than one of these and would go after a Racer 8 or one of BR's other brews.

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Very heavy beer. I was drinking some other IPA's and had this one to compare it to. I prefer a lower ABV, this is such a heavy drinking beer.

This has very deep flavors and heavy hops of course. I prefer the lighter IPA's such as Blind Pig or Lagunitas IPA. This one has a particular strong flavor that reminds me of the Stone AB.

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

Out of a bomber into a tulip. Pours deep mahogany with amber around the edges of the glass. One finger of beige head recedes but leaves solid lacing.
Smell is a hoppy dream. Pineapple, pine, with grapefruit acidity.
Creamy smooth flavor leads with the sweetness but then comes the rye notes and finishes with a long resiny hoppy bitterness
Great creamy mouthfeel with dry finish
Drinkability is tricky given this is really a DIPA at 8%. But the bomber really never stood a chance

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured an opaque brown with a little head that went away quickly.

Smell - You can get hints of the rye but the hops really comes through as clean and citrusy.

Taste - You definitely get a very bitter hop flavor but in a very clean, crisp way. As expected the dark caramel malts and the rye come through much more as it warms up and add a great complexity to the beer.

Mouthfeel - It has a crispness when it hits the lips but as it fills your mouth it turns into more of a creamy feeling. Definitely a great characteristic.

Overall a complex, great beer!

3.73/5  rDev -12%

This is one tasty beer.

Pours a dark red color, slight head served in a pint glass. The scent is not over bearing but you definitely smell hops with little floral notes mixed in.

The carbonation is strong, lighting up the taste buds. The taste is not too sweet with a very light syrupy feel. It's definitely hoppy, and it finishes nicely with a small hint of rye.

It's simple and strait to the point. My kind of beer. You can't beat the flavor for the price, and heck... the abv :)

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Heavy hop slam with a great malt flavor I'm sure it has something to do with the rye volume. Nicely done here, especially since I've been burnt out on ipa lately. Still has the hop resin I love, but presents in a sweeter light.

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

I've always been a Red Ale fan, so I was excited to get this in trade from a nice lady in CA. Adding in the rye flavor was a pleasant surprise and worked really well. A really nice beer and one of the best red ales I've had. Enjoyed out of a tulip watching my UK Wildcats whoop that butt.

A: This beer is somewhat cloudy and is a light mahogany-red beer topped with a creamy white head about a half inch in height. The head receded quicker than I would have expected for the carbonation present

S: The smell has a wonderful caramel malt sweetness plus a bit of citrus in the hop character. I have to agree that this nearly smells like a barleywine.

T: I love the flavor of this beer - not too sweet and just a hint of bitterness. The malts lend to a very drinkable beer and the rye grain and hops gives it a funky kick in the end. This has a complex flavor and yet remains extremely drinkable. Tons of flavor.

M: This has a great mouthfeel as the rye leaves a lasting impression that just keeps on going. A bit oily, but it really works.

O: I really enjoyed this beer. IMO, this would pair really well with some Asian food, curries, and meats. It remains a complex beer and yet is completely drinkable and balnced. All the flavors work harmoniously together. Well done and I'll be hunting these out.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - Dark red, clear, very inviting. Nice head and wonderful head retention.
S- Can smell the rye but also a berry smell with overtones of chocolate. Great smell
T- Really smooth, very complex with a lot going on. Berry and hint of licorice comes out. A bit bitter on the finish but ok.
F- Good feel, substantial for a dark red beer, almost like a stout. A bit on the heavy side and a bit too much carbonation.
O - I really like this beer in all aspects, but I don't usually have more than one or two at a time because it is bold.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

I tried this beer during a recent trip to California. It was hoppy but not overwhelming. It poured a deep copper color w/ a nice head and a wonderful aroma. I tried a few beers that night and this was my favorite.
I am now searching for this beer on the East Coast. I highly recommend this beer.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark maroon almost brown color. With a rocky cream colored head.

Good smelling ale with enough hops and citrus. The rye adds some good aroma but not overwhelming.

This beer has more malt than I expected but enough hops and citrus to balance it out. The rye brings out a good bread after taste.

Great feel to this beer. Maybe thicker because of the rye.
Liked this beer alot and plan to have it in my rotation.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Love the Bear Republic beers. This seasonal is no exception.

Pours big and foamy. Rocky, dense, amber head that clings to the side of the glass. Beautiful deep brown colors with ruby highlights. Excellent clarity.

Juicy malts and sweet caramel mingle with citrusy hops. My wife smells chocolate. And she is never wrong about that! I get hints of cocao as well. The rye ads an earthy element to the malt profile. Some alcohol notes, but minimal for the level in this beer.

Tastes just as it smells. Judicious malt and hops interplay and dance around the mouth. Sweet caramel, but well balanced with hops so as to not be cloying. Finishes sweet with bitter tingling on the tongue.

Carbonated just right. Not too harsh on the tongue. Firm and substantial gravity.

A big beer that didn't let me down. I get consistent, excellent quality from every bottle from this brewery. Bear Republic really knows how to balance major malt bills with massive hopping. Delicious.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

Dark amber in color, this ale pours with a thin tan head, with lacing that remains throughout the glass. The hops shine through in the aroma and taste. While it's definitely a dry beer, it wasn't as astringent as I would have expected from the rye that was used. It is a beer that I would drink again.

4.66/5  rDev +9.9%

Had it on tap at The Shepherd & the Knucklehead.

I'm utterly amazed. This is basically everything I ever wanted in a beer, I honestly can't even think of anything to compare it to. It's the perfect balance of a full-bodied taste without being even slightly overpowering. It has a beautiful 1/4" thick creamy head that doesn't go away, which adds to this amazing creamy, malty flavor with every sip. It finishes so smooth, going down nice & easy without any bite to it at all. There's an incredibly pleasant, mildly bitter aftertaste along with that creamyness that's still hanging in there. You'll definitely start feeling it about 2/3 the way through... if it weren't for the impact, I'd easily be putting back several of these in one sitting.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Look-Dark Amber w. red huge very nice head retention with lacing down to the bottom of the glass
Smell-Hoppy, malty sweet hard to get a really good read on this due to smells from the restaurant.
Taste-Dark malt, hoppy as hell slight coffee flavor, many flavors just roaming all around the pallet, well balanced beer. Warm and tingly on the tongue dry crisp bitter tart aftertaste.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

I tried this beer on a whim and could not have asked for a better result. The hop flavor is strong and somewhat complex with the rye adding to the mix. The amount of carbonation is perfect leading to an exceptional mouth feel with a good head that lingers afloat this dark amber brew. For my taste (Big fan of IPAs that include interesting flavors to complement additional hops) this is an excellent selection.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz. bottle.

A - pours dark, dark amber with a less than an inch of head.

S - Intoxicating aroma of malt, hops and a bit of spice from the rye. It gives off an earthy, grainy smell. I get a hint of pumpernickel as well.

T - The taste starts with the sweetness of the malt and the spiciness of rye. It finishes strongly with the hops. The hops remain as the lasting flavor I get with each sip.

M - A clean and long mouthfeel that goes from the initially sweetness of the malt and ultimately finishes with the bitterness of the hops.

D - This beer is so interesting and flavorful I wouldn't want to have more than 2.

Overall, hop rod rye is one of the more impressive and innovative beers I have had in a while. If you get the chance give it a try.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a Bottle into standard pint glass

A - Nice rich brown color & creme colored head.

S - Hops, Carmel, & slight rye & sweet malt.

T - Bready, Nice Hop factor. Rye is more prevalent during taste & a good sweetness at the end.

M - Feels great..A bit creamy & good bitterness & hop presence.

D - Great Beer! Alcohol is well hidden at it's 8% abv. Can drink several. Great all around beer.

Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic Brewing Co.