Rebellion - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Rebellion
No picture uploaded.

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

Rebellion was created by Bear Republic's brewers as a single hop pale ale to showcase the characteristics of new hop varietals and old favorites. Always brewed with the same American and English malts, the soft malt character allows the unique flavor and aroma of the hop to shine.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-01-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
spamages

12-30-2011 03:02:39 | More by spamages
illidurit

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Glacier version on tap at burger. in Santa Cruz. Pours a brassy gold color with a nice filmy white head. Pale malty aroma, cereal grains, matzoh, cheerios. Flavor is big on the cheerios maltiness, with cornbread and honey also making appearances under the lightly herbal hop profile. Definitely not hoppy enough for a pale ale, and not even close for a single hop beer. Medium bitterness lingers through finish. Very dry and crackery on the palate. Not sure what the idea here is. Too high in alcohol to be a satisfactory session beer but completely lacking the hop aroma and flavor you'd want in a pale ale so strong.

08-01-2011 09:17:03 | More by illidurit
jenray

11-20-2011 04:04:16 | More by jenray
Belittle

01-10-2014 19:34:34 | More by Belittle
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours a light copper, cloudy, bit of an off-white head.

Nose is resiny pine, spicy hops, some faint sweet caramel underneath. This one is prickly.

Big, fat, prickly resiny hops up front with a bit of a rye-like spiciness. Pretty heavy bitterness. Fruity. Big, heavily bitter finish. The malt just doesn't show up to counterbalance the assault of Simcoe - very brutish hop character that offers a raw bitterness that's largely unrestrained by any balancing sweetness. Brutal, but not my thing.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly aggressive carbonation.

02-05-2009 13:34:52 | More by JohnQVegas
petermethot

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

06-25-2013 19:18:35 | More by petermethot
notchucknorris

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

On tap at O'Brien's

A: Pours a clear golden color with a nice fluffy cream colored head.

S: Not a ton going on here. A bit of granny smith apple and bready malt. A touch of hops, but that's about it.

T: Have't had tons of Bear Republic's stuff, but this is the most disappointing I've had. Very faint flavors here. Some citrus rind and maybe a bit of grapefruit rind. Bready malt flavors dominate and never really let this leave the pale ale category. Not recommended.

06-12-2012 21:31:23 | More by notchucknorris

KimenTshom

01-16-2014 02:15:08 | More by KimenTshom
JoeBloe

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

picked up a 32oz growler @ deciccios - poured a clear amber/orange and put up a nice pillowy 2 finger head that held on and left some nice lacing on the way down - hoppy aroma smells like it's coming out of the woods - tastes resiny and the simcoe hops provide some ibu punch - an earthy and citrussy
finish - this went down fine, ok stuff.

Serving type: growler

06-26-2009 12:30:22 | More by JoeBloe
Mark

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

The pub beer list said the brewers were experimenting with some differnt hop varietals on this beer. The makers of Racer 5 and X plus their amazing Red Rocket and Hop Rod beers should not try to over do it. This beer wasn't bad but did not quite live up to Bear Republic excellence either. Color was a deep gold, head was lasting and left nice lacing. Hops were in the aroma but it was mostly grainy malt. Finish was long and crsip, hops were not citrusy like Racer 5. Can't say that I liked or disliked the hop taste, but I will say I prefer what they use in Racer 5. If you like to try different beers than I say it's worth it, if not stick with Racer 5.

12-29-2006 21:06:43 | More by Mark
EarlNobdy

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

I'm kind of hot and cold when it comes to IPAs. Given my druthers, I'll often opt for a more malty brew. Stout, porter, lager, brown--those are more my speed for sitting at home with the wife watching a boxing movie. Though, as a friend to beer, I recognize that the occasional India Pale Ale needs love too, and so will place my order accordingly, if nothing else than to keep my palate up to date.

That I didn't finish the growler in one sitting is no reflection on the quality of this quaff. To be fair, this particular session got started late due to the fact that we closed on our new apartment yesterday--a process that has in essence been running our lives and doing its level best to ruin our marriage for the past two months. But at long last there we sat in the Attorneys' office filling out an endless array of various and multifarious forms. Initial this, check that, sign here, autograph there. 3 hours later and $70,000 dollars in upfront and closing fees lighter, Marilyn and I stood down on the street embracing for dear life. Done. It is done. We are now homeowners, and God have mercy on our souls.

Then came the loading in. Our actual move isn't happening until next week, but my wife thought it would be a good idea to get done what we could in advance of the Movers and their truck. And so we did. We painted (well, actually her parents--who consider themselves amateur professional contractors despite the fact that Marilyn's daddy is a frigging Internist--did all the painting and refused to let us pick up a brush or roller.) We hauled Rocco's new mattress halfway across town. We took interminable trips up and down the steps of the third-floor walkup we are soon to depart. We bagged clothes. We wrapped pictures in old blankets and quilts. We hauled dismantled Aeki shelving. It got to the point such that by around 6:30 in the evening I was beginning to wonder why we were hiring Movers in the first place. At which point Marilyn called it quits, and we dispersed into street, she headed home to relieve the sitter, and me as is my wont to do at such an advanced hour, I headed for our friendly, neighborhood beer store.

Limped more than headed. Heaved my mangled frame along the sidewalk in shambling strides is even closer to accurate. Moving is a motherscratcher, alright. And you mean we still have to do this thing for real next weekened? Alas and alackaday, but no more tonight. Tonight we celebrate. At least I do, and Marilyn can if she feels like it. Which she does. She puts in her order for a peche lambic, and off I head, limp, heave and shamble.

The man behind the growler counter recommends the Rebellion as a classic example of the style. Hoppy, chewy, the bite that refreshes. And so it is. Just what the doctor ordered to scour my tongue clean of the bad taste three hours spent in a close room with a group of people who took our lives and drew a big black box around them entitled "Owe" has left there. Just the ticket for the aches and pains of an initial load in. Spicy and sweet with hints of forest floor and well, just read the common adjectives applied to IPAs and you can guess that part of the review.

In closing, I will only add that I miss my moustache. It used to collect the foam from that first sip so finely and I would wipe away the bubbles with my lower lip and tongue, sucking at the lace...and well, now this is getting kind of personal, so I'll just present you the image of an old-timey beer drinker wearing sleeve garters in a batwing saloon tipping back a frothing mug of sheer Rebellion, and leave it at that.

Serving type: growler

07-11-2009 11:39:21 | More by EarlNobdy
Natural510

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

On-tap at South Park Tavern in Dayton OH.

Pours a dark copper color with a good amount of head & lacing.
Smells strongly of floral hops with a slight malt backing.
Flavor is decidedly bitter, typical of the style. Along with the fresh, piney hops is a maltiness which isn't quite big enough to balance out the hops. I detected an orange note underneath the bitter, but that was about it.
It did stay lively in the glass; cabonation mixing with the hops to deliver a biting mouthful with each sip.
A fairly standard West Coast bitter, not much to differentiate itself from the rest, but would offer a good hop fix for those in need.

06-06-2008 08:12:26 | More by Natural510
donniecuffs

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

At the Mohawk House in Sparta, NJ, into a pint glass it poured a transparent amber, with one finger of white, with average retention and good lacing. Little visible carbonation. Smelled of apple, pear, and bitter citrus peel; very little herbal presence. The taste initially revealed big plum and apple, and then finished on a very bitter orange peel note. Good flavors individually, but a nice blend progression wasn't there. Medium-bodied, and no carbonation; non-offensive enough to session. Decent ipa, though I'd prefer a stronger and better blended midpalate to match the pronounced finish.

12-23-2010 23:09:21 | More by donniecuffs
TheBrewo

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This brew was served from the tap at The Blind Tiger in New York, NY. It arrived in a generic pint glass. The brew glowed a bright orange and sported a half finger tall head of white bubbles. This showed lower retention, leaving patterned lacing around the glass. There was a muddy haze to the clarity, but no sediment. Carbonation appeared low. The aroma opened with pale malts and light caramel. Mixing in was a bright citric hop note, and a slightly bittering rind. Melon and raspberry sweetness helped lighten things up. Our first impression was that the citric hop bite was nice. Upon sipping, pale malts, sour barley, flashes of wheat, and a quick mix of bittering hops characterized the front. It was nicely balanced and the flavors well blended. The middle peaked with soap, and a clean, but biting, lemon freshness. Rind mixed in with mineral, pulling us, with the pale malts again, to the finish. Seeing the last of the flavoring were soft cotton candy esters, milky cream, strawberry, huge notes of pear, and citric flesh. These laid on a bed of sweaty wheat, and some more of those great bittering citric and grassy hops, and a big fusel booze character. The aftertaste was with more bittering citrus, souring pale grain, light tin, and a cutting honey sugariness. The body was medium, but a little thin around the edges, and the carbonation was medium. The mouth was left with an astringent, tannin, tea-like bite, coating the tongue and down the back of the throat. The hops lent a resiny slickness, with surprisingly little creaminess to each sip. The abv was appropriate, and the beer drank easily.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the fruitiness in the nose, and following through at the finish of the taste. The hops, too, were nicely robust, with their own fruity qualities. Otherwise they showed great depth, with citrus, soap, and grass throughout. This was a great IPA, but it felt a bit thin at times, and overly boozy through the finish.

05-27-2012 22:41:32 | More by TheBrewo

Arizona

10-24-2013 06:41:34 | More by grubefresh
vma

03-24-2014 22:35:50 | More by vma
Rebellion from Bear Republic Brewing Co.