Nor Cal Ale - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Nor Cal Ale
No picture.

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: DefenCorps on 04-28-2009

Inspired by Northern California's brewing history, this California Bitter is as inviting as the Redwoods. Smooth and drinkable, this ale has a well rounded malt character accented by Cascade and Centennial dry hops.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
2.51/5  rDev -33.2%

Here is what I can say about the Nor'Cal Beer;

A: It has a Golden Amber to Orange looking color.

S: It has a real tame smell.

T: It has a very bitter taste, which surprised me. Can't tell if it's caramel or if it's the hops.

M: The mouthfeel is also very bitter.

D: This is one IPA that I won't drink again. (312 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

On tap at Capone's in Norristown, PA. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a medium brown with a nice fluffy white head. Looks a little darker than many APAs, but enticing.

S: A little bit of dark fruit, maybe from the yeast? Some citrus hops and definite pine in the nose. Nothing overpowering, a nice light nose.

T: Nice bittering in this brew... Yeast, English in nature, and, malt dominate, leaving the hops to play nicely in the undercurrent of the flavor. Again some citrus, but a nice grassy pine finish.

M: A little thin for the style, but smooth nonetheless with a solid, crisp and bitter finish.

D: Very tasty, would session this beer without question. (665 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

On tap at The Dray in Ballard. Poured to a standard pint glass (notes from 8/26/11):

A - Poured a dark bronze brown, with 1/2-finger cream-colored small bubble head. Some retention, spotty lacing.

S - Low intensity to the scent. Mild semi-sweet maltiness darkened by caramel, with mild pine & citrus hops riding over the top. Caramel note continues into a bready malt and fresh grain hint.

T - A brief flash of citrus and pine hop, but then mildly honey sweet and toasted malt takes over that carries hints of caramel, providing most of the flavor profile. Finishes bready, with an ever-so-slight tangy bitterness that lingers.

M - Light-to-medium body, smooth texture. Mild tingly carbonation. Refreshing, despite a slightly dry finish.

D - This beer grew on me from "meh" to "hey, this is alright". I found the flavor pleasant, not too overly bitter or too much burnt caramel. Nor is it too sweet overall. Light and refreshing for a Bitter. (949 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -18.1%

Had this on tap over trivia and Sunday football at Congregation Ale House.

A: Light copper with a small off white head. Nice clarity and minimal lacing left behind.

S: Not much going on with the nose. Faint amounts of biscuit malt and caramel. A slight hint of citrus hoppiness.

T: Just as the nose suggests. A slight malty/caramel backbone and finish with a mild acidic citrus note up front.

M: Smooth, medium/low body with a fair amount of carbonation.

O: A very drinkable pale ale. It is a borderline bitter in my opinion. More malty and bready notes than your typical APA. Not what I was expecting with the name. It suggests a hoppier west coast PA. (661 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +2.1%

So the saga of our lives continues, and this week's soundtrack is provided by the little brewery that could in Sonoma County, Cali, USA. The past month of rain gave way yesterday to one humid honey of an afternoon, a real sticky situation. Marilyn took the kids out to the playground around 4 so they could run through sprinklers and get some relief. They are so much like dogs at this age. Meanwhile, Daddy went in search of his own refreshment. Thankfully, the corner Bierkraft specializes in a wide variety of lagers and ales for what ails you, and in nothing flat I had the hookup.

The girl at the growler station said this was an ESB, but upon closer internet inspection I discovered two things: A.) That Beer Advocate considers this beer a Pale Ale, whilst B.) The fine folks at Bear Republic are calling it a California Bitter to distinguish it from the more traditional English ESB. By the way, have you noticed that a number of brewers are steering away from the Bitter appellation? For instance, Sierra has their Early Summer Beer, Boont brews an Extra Special Beer, and Foster's has taken to calling their ESB "Premium Ale" instead. What is the stigma here? Is the average American beer palate so unsophisticated that the mere suggestion of a certain bitterness turns the consumer cold? I'm sure the sea change is the product of extensive market research, and who am I to question a man's making a buck, but still. Your typical ESB ain't all that much more bitter than the average ale. But then again, I suppose all is perception, and let's leave it at that.

Especially since I like what I like and whether ESB or Cali Bitter or Pale Ale, what I'm digging this week is this beer. A perfect 64oz aperitif accompaniment to the muggiest day of the Summer thus far. Okay, so we've been Clear to Close on our new apartment for a week, and Marilyn is selling off everything we aren't taking with us, and we've given our current landlord a drop-dead move-out date of August 1st, and now the lawyers for the owners of the new apartment are refusing to return our phone calls and set a Closing Date--so what? Who cares if today is the Stoop Sale that seals our fate, and Marilyn and I have done nothing but squabble and bicker over the tiniest detail ever since this moving process began? What does any of the pain and anguish of rearing two mewling bratwursts matter a farthing when I have this bottle in front of me?

Oh, wait I just poured my last glass. Now is when the problems really begin. (2,500 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Nor Cal Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.