Join our email list →

Bourbon Barrel Aged Red Rocket - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Red Rocket
No picture.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Strong Ale | 6.90% ABV

Beer added by: kimcgolf on 05-26-2009

Our Red Rocket Ale, aged for six months in bourbon barrels that we have used for three previous beers. Brettanomyces, or “Brett,” a type of wild yeast that often makes a home inside used barrels, adds barnyard notes to the malty character of Red Rocket.
3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

A beautiful murky deep auburn with a tan head and plenty of abstract lacing.

Nose gives off a fruitcake vibe.

The taste and mouthfeel are lot less intense than what I was expecting. I can definitely get the funkiness from the Brett. The barrel aging did not imbue a while lot of bourbon. Reminds me of a bourbon cider I had. There's just a ghost of it at the end there.
It's a pretty crisp and carbonated finish. Bitter blood orange finish.

Overall I like the beer. Not exactly what I was expecting.

3.62/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from the Cask at Bear Republic to a cloudy reddish-orange withmedium thick white head and okay lacing. Nose was a pleasant blend of hoopy citrus and a hint of bourbon, with alcohol slowly creeping in as the beer warmed. Mouthfeel was tingly and the taste followed the lead of the nose, wioth again, the alcohol becoming more dominating at mid-beer. Finish was crisp, slightly bitter and enjoyable.

A good beer.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Red Rocket from Bear Republic Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.