Racer X Double IPA - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer X Double IPARacer X Double IPA

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-13-2003

Racer X is an uncommon Double India Pale Ale which puts a California twist on English brewing traditions by adding an assertive hop aroma and bitterness that compliments the firm malt backbone. Like its little brother Racer 5, Racer X is balance in a bottle.

2009 California State Fair – BRONZE
2009 San Diego International Beer Competition – 2nd
2009 West Coast Beer Fest - GOLD
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer X Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 492 | Hads: 2,057

I had this beer today at Falling Rock Tap House in Denver. I had 2- 16 oz pints. This is a great beer and I will definitly go back and drink it again. Great mouth feel, great smell and very drinkable. Even though it is 9%, you are not overwhelmed by the alcohol. Racer X is great from start to finish.

Having had the X recommended to me over a year ago before a trip to San Francisco, it wasn't until having Racer 5 at home after the trip that I realized how much I had likely missed out on by not finding this beer in SF in the first place.

Well, now I know for sure what I was missing, and OH MAN, it is tasty. I had a nice pint of this bad boy and it came to me with a thin, but cloudy head, after a few minutes of walking from the bar to my table (I sent my wife-- another plus). A light caramel color, not as light as a typical IPA, but by no means too dark. And hazy... ahh the haze that is a sure sign that you've got a doozie of an Imperial IPA.

Each drink of this filled my palate with hops, but not just hops a clean soapy tingly hops that quenched my thirst yet demanded another sip almost immediately, leaving behind perfect lacing with each sip.

Not at all is it detectable that this clocks in at 9%. It's is very drinkable. If there weren't so many good beers to try at Naja's the night I tried this, I could have drunk it for hours. Any chance you have to drink this, do it. And if you can get a growler, bring it to a BBQ or the beach and just drink away. Bring a designated driver though, because this will send you over the moon, as you won't wanna stop.

Smooth, drinkable, bitter and delicious... Were it as available as 90 minute IPA, perhaps Beer Advocate would have a tough competition for number one!

2012 "Vintage"

A: Beautiful copper-golden-orange color with the expected soapy, bubbly, frothy, sticky, bright white head leaving behind amazing lace and good, bubbly retention. Gorgeous brew. Disclaimer: will become hazy due to sediment if you choose to pour the entire contents of the bottle. In my opinion, I think it contributes to this beer, but I don't always pour the yeast into the glass.

S: My nose is about six inches away from the pint glass as I write this review and I'm experiencing a sensory overload already. Huge burst of fresh, citrusy (mostly grapefruit), and grassy hops. Sweet, slightly roasted malt and sugary, almost buttery booze complements to truly balance this beer out. BR wasn't kidding when they said this will be balanced. As for the taste...

T: Exactly the same as the nose but a bit boozier and maltier which is perfect for the style. Nothing overpowers. Just a wonderful balance of fresh, juicy, fruity, resiny hops, sweet, sugary malt, and incredibly smooth, delicious booze. Top notch stuff.

M: The essence of smooth, sweet, and balanced. The flavors are incredible, the feel is as smooth as any beer I've had in recent memory, and the finish is exquisite. Resiny, dry, bitter hop oils cling to the palate to remind you this is a big IPA while deliciously sweet, tasty malt and booze slide down your throat.

O: Now this is a Double IPA! Bear Republic absolutely nailed this style on the head. I wish I could drink another bomber, but I'd probably be trashed. Everything I expect from this style. You must drink this!

Note: I know all 5's should be rare, but at the moment (this is my first beer of the day), this is absolutely top class. I do not see anything wrong with it in my expectations for the style. In my opinion, a Double/Imperial IPA should have three things...hops, malt, and booze. This exemplifies all three in the most balanced way possible. I feel comfortable giving this beer straight 5's.

4.99/5  rDev +17.7%

I had this on tap at The PourFarm Tavern in New Bedford Mass. Poured a hazy red orange with a nice creamlike head .Citrus aromas hit you immediately at first smell...Wonderful! Taste is medium full body with a nice hoppy feel and some malt. This is a class A IPA

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

DIIPAs just don't get a lot better than this in my opinion. I love a lot of DIIPAs, but this one is up fighting for the top spot.

A: Pours a golden orange.

S: The nose is full of hop aromas in the form Citrus and Tropical fruits.

T: Just like the smell. This is like a milder Ruination with a great citrus and grapefruit explosion followed by a great malt balance.

M: The feel is smooth with medium carbonation. Just what I want in this type of DIPA.

D: One or two of these is probably the perfect amount, but I have to admit I closed out the Growler. The more I had the more I wanted. I would probably rethink that (or at least try) the next time around.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Filled up a growler at Green's in Greenville, SC.

Pours a surprisingly dark copper color. Moderate white head and lacing. Crystal clear body.

The nose is a complete hop assault. Hop bliss. Heavy notes of pine and grass. There may have been citrus in there too, but I have a hard time detecting it behind the brilliant attack of pine and hop notes. This smells exactly how you want a DIPA to smell - the prototypical DIPA smell. Tons of resiny goodness too.

Not to be outdone, the taste follows through just as brilliant. This is one hoppy, bitter bastard. The pine and grass appears again. Along with that hop blast, however, there's a massive malt backbone. But Racer X doesn't fall into the same trap as many other DIPA-wannabes do - the malt backbone plays the supporting role here, and doesn't push past the feature player: the hops. This is a perfect balance. There are only a couple other beers I've had that so perfectly taste like a DIPA should - Oracle and Pliny the Elder are the ones that immediately come to mind. Fairly dry taste.

The mouthfeel is great. Carbonation supports the beer perfectly and the mouthfeel is appropriate - medium bodied.

This is one bad ass beer. I'm gonna be grabbing a growler of this brew any time I'm passing through a state that has distribution. Fan-freaking-tastic.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

I have waited for this one for longer then I can even begin to go into here. After all that time a growler hits my front porch and I am literally floored. Served cold I popped this open at lunch on Sunday to enjoy throughout my day. Consumed on 04/19/2009.

The pour was just how I had envisioned it. Rich, deep copper colored amber with a crystal clear look to it. Big head of off white rises up and over the top before settling down gently into a thin crown that totally covered the top of the glass. Lots of thick and gooey side glass lacing all over the place here.

The smell was soo rich and pungent I nearly fell over. This was exactly what I had been searching for, looking for, in a big IPA. Huge orange citrus notes, resin so thick it clogged my nose, and soo damn fresh, sheesh, I have died and gone to heaven. I go in for my first taste of the nectar and that is just what it is. Sweet, buttery malts that gave me a fall sense of security before the backlash of sticky hops just kills me with bitter orange, pineapple and piney notes. Simply amazing, perfect, wonderful. Medium bodied with smooth, even carbonation and a dry feeling that stuck around forever making me restrain myself from guzzling it.

Overall this was exactly what I had hoped for, wanted, and dreamed about. May possibly be the best I could have hoped for. Balanced and complex, simply outstanding. Everything it should be.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Filled up a growler at Diciccio's on a trip with Jlynn. Got the last fill - kicked at about a 60 oz pour. Enjoyed some in the parking lot and then some at the days in. Still very nicely carbonated.

Very cloudy unfiltered orangey yellow body with an off white head. This beer smells incredible. A floral boquet with a fruit arrangement and boatload of hops. This one hit my lips with a much anticipated hoppy explosion. Very nicely balanced with a citrusy malt backbone and very nice grapefruit notes. Exactly what I want this big mysterious sexy long awaited gem to taste like. I was so pleased to find this and get the last bit. Mouthfeel was exquisite. Very nice carbonation level and ohhhh so smooth. I drank about a pint today on the first day of ownership of the growler. I wish this bad boy was available year round. One of the best ipa's I've had to date.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

A: Poured out a slightly hazy amber color with two to three fingers of off white head head. A moderate amount of lacing

S: Big smell with grapefruit, lemon, floral notes, biscuit, and tropical fruit.

T: Very similar to the nose. Mostly grapefruit and pine, but the other flavors in the smell come out as well. It has a nice malt backbone for balance, but hop bitterness is definitely prominent.

M: Medium body with medium to high carbonation. It is oily but does not leave a bad aftertaste.

O: A truly amazing representation of the style. One of the best DIPAs I've had. Great balance. Full of flavor. The complexity of this beer is what makes it so great in my mind. The beer has a lot of flavors but none too overpowering.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Typical IPA or DIPA appearance. A nice off white head with a deliciously sweet hoppy aroma. This brew has an intense but absolutely amazing flavor. It has some very distinct hop bitterness but all kinds of flavors are blending in this beer. Peach, mango and cherry are some I noted but really I don’t think it can be described (at least not by me.) Absolutely fucking sublime and this is truly "balance in a bottle." Picking up on a bit of the 8.3% abv. Mouthfeel is phenomenal not a syrupy double IPA. This has a nice crisp bite to it as you are sipping it but it mellows out and coats the tongue in hoppy resins on the aftertaste. Overall this beer is fucking delicious! I wish it wasn't seasonal and so damn uncommon.

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

I'm starting to think of the advent of these double IPAs are really just different forms of lobotomy for hop-heads. You can't get enough of the hops but the alcohol gets enough of your body. And when they're fresh, they're especially medieval on the skull. Racer X fits this formula; wildly hopped, but malty sweet and booze-laced as well. Some of the shitty d.IPA's are just a nasty malt liquor / hop juice experiment. This one is the Bentley of all double IPAs.

Amber hints in a glimmering gold pint glass. Initially impressive head for style fades to tiny suction-cup lace blots.

Lightly carbonated to the point, but so thickly chewy in mouthfeel, this felt like a cask ale though it wasn't. This is a rare-example of a double IPA that I would love to age and then enjoy - there's that much going on. The malt is chewy but stapled in to the alcohol and warming hop.

I love the initial hop jolt. You think you've been teased and then the hops are back, winning over the overall prize. But the malt-foundation is never forgotten, making this an uncharacteristically balanced disciple.

I should've growlered this in BR's hilariously low-brow plastic growlers, resealed, and aged. Damn shame.

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

Drank on 1/26/08, taken from notes.

Visited Bear Republic with a buddy of mine on a recent little beer trip. I've had Hop Rod Rye in the bottle and it was damn good so I hoped that the other beers would follow suit. Drank out of a Bear Republic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a yellowish orange with hues of a light pink and brilliant clarity. A rather small bright white head forms that recedes fairly quickly leaving a spotty cap and fairly thick collar. Plenty of lacing is left for all to enjoy.
Smell- The nose lets you know right away that it's a DIPA. Loads and loads of fresh strawberries was the first thing that jumped out at me (amazing). A bit of pine sap is discernable but for the most part the nose remains floral. Lilac and fresh strawberries abound. Someone should sell this fragrance to Glade®.
Taste- Not quite as floral as the nose but it is nice and fruity. Bits of grapefruit and pineapple add a bit of a citrus bite that is really nice. Spruce and pine are present as well but definitely taking a backseat to the fruit. The most surprising part about this brew is that as big and hoppy as it is, it's got plenty of caramel sweetness. I wouldn't go as far to say that it's "balanced" but it's got enough toffee there to keep everything in check. The alcohol is also pretty noticeable and shows it's 8.3%; probably the only negative about this brew IMO.
Mouthfeel- Very thick and creamy with a nice oily slick feel with medium carbonation and quite a bit of warming from the alcohol. Nearly perfect.
Drinkability- This is a really really good beer. I had a lot of DIPA's this weekend and if this wasn't the best, it was tied for first. The nose and super creamy, delicious mouthfeel are reason enough to try this. The fact that it tastes awesome is just a bonus! Wish they'd bottle this stuff (if they do, I wish they'd send some up to Boise. Hell I'd take any distribution in Boise).

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Caught this one on tap at Fathead's awhile back and have since filled a growler at Mad Mex in Robinson, I can't believe I never logged my review of this brew. One of the best DIPA to cross my palate yet, Bear Republic nails every style the make this West Coast DIPA is no exception. Appears a clouded copper orange hued body the oils grip to the chalice when you swirl your glass. Head is a thin scan white color with minimal specks of lacing scattered on the glass. Aroma has a huge hop bouqet with candy coated sugar glazed deep pine, citrus fruit, and pinapple notes definite layers of grapefruit pungency as well. More of the an intense wave of hops passes your senses with the first sip, big bitterness but also big on fermentable sugars here with the malts really wrapping around the bitter hop bursts. Layers of sugar and massive bitterness compete with one another with alcohol and resinous hop oils in the finish. More hughe grapefruit zest, pine needles, some tobacco leaf, and floral hop flavors. Mouthfeel is big with thick hop oils stick to the palate leaving the hop bitterness lie on the palate between each sip. Drinkability such a rare treat glad I had a couple run ins with this bad boy, flows so nicely remains balanced even with raw hop bitterness kick ass west coast DIPA at it's best.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

My favorite Double IPA (or any IPA).

Orange with some rust.

The nose is tropical with dank underbrush aromas and a slight herbs de provence. Alcohol is totally buried by aromatics.

The palate enters slighty sweet and then quickly dries out and feels much more attenuated than it must be. The hops are rich and considerable but not particularly resiny. The firm dry texture is offset by a surprisingly creamy carbonation and a complex and ever changing rush of flavors. The palate is so complete and balanced it's almost ridiculous.

There is no hope of me accurately describing this beer. It is a masterpiece. Thank you bear republic. Awesome.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

served on tap at Coles, had in a Tulip glass.
Appearance-golden orange, medium carbonation.
Smell-wonderful notes of citrus and pine.
Taste-heavy notes of grapefruit, tangerine, orange, followed with light pine notes and with a slight alcohol kick on the finish.
Mouthfeel-lovely,not too much carbonation, a nice citrus hop taste lingers.
Overall-I have to admit I have been waiting to try this beer for awhile, and I was not disapointed, I actually said to my wife, this could be my new favorite beer. If you are a fan of Imperial IPA's or IPA's seek this beer out, excellent, very nicely balanced.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Just going off some mental notes from last night's pint at Woody's in City Market.

Rich copper color topped with a one-finger super creamy-looking head like it was poured from a nitro tap. Huge citrus hop aroma that I could smell as soon as my server set it on the table. Major hop bomb - in a good way. Taste is hoppy and citrusy with just a touch of caramel malt. Very resinous. Where is the 9%? Feels like I am drinking something around 7%. Dangerously easy to drink. Full bodied. The creamiest IPA/DIPA I have ever had. No tannins detected. Just thick, creamy hop goodness in a glass. There seems to be some richness to the malt though - maybe Maris Otter base malt? This is exactly what I want in a DIPA.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Just tapped at Beachwood BBQ. Boy was I in for a treat! When I arrived Alesmith Nut Brown was still on tap (and nothing wrong with that - it's one of the best English browns around). About 30 minutes in, a party ordered a pitcher of it. Not a quarter of the way through and it tapped out. So, the question then becomes "tap the Racer X or the Gonzo Imperial Porter?" Seeing as how I had had the Gonzo (and liked it), but had only heard great things about the Racer X, I happily offered my opinion on the matter. This, of course, led to my having a couple more pints than expected...

A: Beautiful copper color with a delicious fluffy off-white head that never died.

S: Mmmm, smells of piny hops and delicious malts. I can't imagine an IPA smelling much better than this.

T: You thought the smell was good? The taste is even better. Perfect in every way. Delicious, floral hops at the forefront. Piny more than citrusy. Middle is nice and sweeter - kind of a raw sugar sweetness (in a very good way). Finishes nice and hoppy, with a good amount of bitterness. I must say though, the balance is more like a Pliny the Elder than a Hopsickle, and that makes for an incredibly drinkable double IPA. In fact, for 9%, this is incredible.

M: Perfect. Perfect carbonation level, perfect richness - I wouldn't change a thing.

D: I had 2 and a half pints, and I'll be going back for more as soon as possible. That should sum it up well enough.

Highly recommended. I've had a lot of double IPAs. This one is honestly one of my favorites. I have to say the craftsmanship on this one is absolutely phenomenal. If you ever see this one on tap, get yourself a pint - you won't regret it!

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Smell - Dank hops, a small amount of toffee, I suppose the aroma could be a bit bigger.

Appearance - Looks like beer, descent white head, yellow copper in color, there's a small amount of either yeast or hop bits floating in it, some lacing

Taste - Dank, spicy hops, nicely, no perfectly, balanced out with the malt

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, carbonation hits the back of your tongue, somewhat slick, no astringency

Overall - It's lame I don't have more of this, ISO

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Presentation: Poured into a Duvel tulip glass from a growler purchased from Green's at Piney Grove in Columbia, SC.

A: Hazy dark amber color with a nice off-white head. Moderate lacing.

S: Citrus/floral fruit aromas from the hops. Nice mildly sweet fragrant smell.

T&M Beautifully smooth and balanced beer. Complex flavors start with mildly sweet pine and citrus hops that transform to a floral, mildly sweet taste that ends with a nice bitter hop/malty taste. Some chalkiness on the end. Medium to full bodied with well hidden alcohol.

This is very similar to the Apex, probably a slight bit more hoppy bitterness in this Racer X though. Definitely a quality product. Very drinkable!

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Finally get to try this on-tap exclusive, I feel lucky for randomly finding this at the Dirty Truth last night. Reviewed from notes. Pours a dark amber-orange color with a one finger creamy white head. The head has great retention. Massive lacing is left coats almost the whole glass as I gulp this down. Exactly what I look for in a DIPA here. Smell is great. Huge hop aroma, the kind you hope for in a DIPA. Smells like a fresh bag of hops from the homebrew store. A nice mix of earthy, floral and lots of fruity hops. The grapefruit scent sticks out and works very well. Some sweet malts are picked up backing up the hop blast. Just like the smell, the hop blast treats me nicely and reminds me of Sculpin flavors. Tons of citrus/fruity hop notes and flavors. The grapefruit is immense in this but I like it. A decent malt backbone is found hidden behind the monster of hops. Lots of hop bitterness also, looks like they can utilize both parts of the boil very well. The only thing I think is a bit over done is the citrus/peel taste. I would like a tiny bit less but this is hardly an error in the beer. Still an exceptional example of the style. Mouthfeel is moderately carbonated and bodied to suit the taste to perfection. It goes down very smoothly with no alcohol aspects. Massive coat of bitter hops stays on the tongue. This one is dangerously drinkable to me because of the taste and smell. I could session this one till I could drink no longer and at $6 for a pretty big glass I wouldn't mind doing that. Definitely my favorite Bear Republic beer to date.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

This is damn fine Double IPA, one of the best I've had.

It pours an rich woody brown with shades of amber. Creamy tan head displays excellent lacing and retention.

The nose is an explosion of pine and citrus hops well balanced by nutty malts, caramel and toffee.

Huge amount of bitter hops hops up front and through the finish. Perfect balance is maintained by bready malts and dark carmelized candies.

Silky smooth body has a delicate yet crisp carbonation. Dank, resiny hops coat the palate for a lasting finish.

Another superb West Coast IPA that should be put into bottles.

4.79/5  rDev +13%

Pint from Hollingshead's Deli in Orange

Great Double IPA that is comparable to the Pliny the Elder

Blows their own Racer Five out of the water

Nice dark dark brown with a huge white head

Smell was great with hints of citrus but more hoppy than anything

Cascade stood out for me as well as continental

One of the best India Pale Ales ever tried, hope this comes out in bottles

Could drink this all night but the alcohol would definitely catch up with me

Taste never seemed to go away

Find this and try this as soon as possible

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Props to the BA who supplied this growler at the May tasting (I think it was thickerfreakness; if so then thanks Charles)! Been wanting to try this one for a while.

Pours a beautiful, deep golden-copper hue with interspersed trails of carbonation. A pillowy cap of custard foam crescendos at 2" in height and slowly recedes to a thick cap, leaving sexy webs of lacing along the inside of the glass. Aroma reeks of resinous, piny, sticky hop cones, with a superb balance of toffee, caramel malt, and Sugar Daddy candies.

The flavor surpasses my expectations; IIPA's really don't get much better than this. A perfectly balance of pine-laden hops and toffee malt coats the palate, while the greenery leaves a lasting bitterness along the finish. Body is medium-thick, but not overbearing in the slightest. Perfect carbonation and a chewy, creamy body that never turns syrupy. All in all, Racer X is a fantastic beer...I rave about Bear Republic's Racer 5, but Racer X just takes it to another level. More please!

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: Deep orange color with a nice white head that quickly dissipates.

S: Pine, Hops, Floral scents.

T: A perfect balance of hops-to-malt. Super smooth drink-ability. Such a good blend. Very "west coast". Hop bomb up front with a pretty nice malt back bone.

M: Good lingering bitterness, not overwhelming, but just right for a double IPA.

Overall: This is a really good one. Will definitely be enjoying again in the near future.

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

I've been waiting for this beer to come to Colorado for years so I'm super excited to give it a try.

Seed cold in a goblet, Racer X is a slightly hazy amber color with thick head, good retention and nice lacing as it settles.

Aroma is super fresh and hoppy with great big loads of citrus, especially grapefruit.

Flavor is just as amazing as I was hoping it would be. Much like little brother Racer 5, and as it claims on the bottle, it's wonderfully hoppy while still managing to find balance with sweetness from the malts. The other similarity that I see is that the malts and hops seem to compliment eachother perfectly. The hops flavor is near the very top of the scale but the balance is still kept in check.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated with balanced bitterness.

Overall one of the best double IPAs I've had the pleasure of enjoying. A wonderful beer well worth the wait.

Racer X Double IPA from Bear Republic Brewing Co.