Racer X Double IPA - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer X Double IPARacer X Double IPA

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

Racer X is an uncommon Double India Pale Ale which puts a California twist on English brewing traditions by adding an assertive hop aroma and bitterness that compliments the firm malt backbone. Like its little brother Racer 5, Racer X is balance in a bottle.

2009 California State Fair – BRONZE
2009 San Diego International Beer Competition – 2nd
2009 West Coast Beer Fest - GOLD

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-13-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer X Double IPA Alström Bros

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Lost Abbey chalice.

A- Pours a translucent copper with a 2 finger off-white head. Big trails and cliffs of lacing remain on the glass.

S- Caramel, biscuit, pine, and nice floral notes.

T- caramel, bitter pine, some citrus (almost berry-like) flavors, and more pine/grassy bitterness. Bitterness is there but this beer is very malt forward.

M- Medium body and carbonation. A little thin for the style but it has a nice slick/syrup feel.

O- Nice dipa, with floral and pine bitterness and enough malt sweetness to balance it.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

Tulip glass.

A: Pours a crystal clear, apricot color with a heady cap of off white head. Decent enough retention and some circles of lacing.

S: Caramel and tropical hops (sugar coated mango and pineapple), and I can almost smell bitterness. I'm not sure if that's a thing or not.

T: Really nice mix of tropical hops (lots of mango) and caramel malt all up front, after which the flavor falls off almost immediately into some lightly bitter caramel. It's like, BAM, then gone.

M: Medium full body and medium light carbonation.

O: Pretty tasty. Somehow this is like a less sweet, tropical version of Racer 5. I'm not sure, then, how this is two times Racer 5. *shrug*

3.55/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired at Wally's Wine a few days ago. Vintage 2012. 8.3% ABV. No bottled on or best before date. Expectations are high; I recall enjoying the regular Racer 5. Reviewed live.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Not paired with food. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a half finger head of beige colour, nice thickness, and good retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a nontransparent hazy dark copper. Non-opaque. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Quite hoppy. Floral character is dominant. Some oily pine character. Grapefruit. Resinous. Nectary. An average strength aroma. Not as bold as most beers in the style.

T: Heavy well balanced floral hops. A hop bitterness bite on the climax is lessened nicely by accompanying oily pine and grapefruit. Clean malts provide the backbone. Crisp and flavourful; a tasty beer in the style. Its balance is its best attribute, it doesn't fall into the trap of going for IBU or hop content at the expense of careful balance. Bravo, Bear Republic. That said, it lacks the complexity and subtlety of better beers in the style. It almost comes off as a bit muted in terms of flavour. There's good layering of hops and malts here, but it doesn't evoke all its ingredients. If I had to guess the yeast strain, I'd say WLP 001 - but no yeast comes through in the flavour. Nor does any alcohol, which is an achievement at 8.3%. Oily resins do come through - especially in the second act - which I like. There's some citrusy zest coming through, but not with enough power to really affect the flavour. The grapefruti doesn't feel committed to, and instead comes off half-baked. I do get apricot and tangerine when I look for them, which is a nice touch. Sweet caramel malts provide a decent understated throughline, but don't coalesce into any rewarding climax. The finish is merely clean hops with a bit of leftover bitterness.

Mf: Gloriously smooth. Nicely wet. Good thickness and palate presence. Slightly oily but never overly so. The only problem is the finish, which is a bit too dry and coarse - and even a touch overcarbonated judging by the sharpness. All around, it suits the flavours quite nicely. Well executed.

Dr: A very drinkable and enjoyable beer in the style. Hides its ABV quite well, though it does have a pleasant warming effect in the stomach. I look forward to trying more beers from Bear Republic. This is certainly a solid offering. It's a bit pricey, though. Especially when other better beers in the style can be had for less, and are even more available. I'd recommend it to friends. I don't know that I'd be it again at this price. I wonder if it's really that much better than Racer 5.

A poor candidate for aging. Drink her fresh.

Would go well with spicy food or fruit tart. Grilled pineapple would be a great choice too.

Low B

---
12/12/13: Truncated misc notes for 2013 vintage:

Superbly balanced and less aggressive than most so-called "West Coast" IPAs. I'm glad I picked it up again and will happily grab it again. I just wish it was priced lower. Good hop choices here with a nice pale malt backbone. Another solid brew from Racer X. I think I like it a bit better than the 2012 vintage.

B

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

2012 vintage poured into a Duvel tulip

A: Dark burnt orange, crystal clear with a nice white head that disappears almost immediately. Lace like crazy. Pretty typical I suppose, but I do like the color.

S: Pine and Pineapple. Citrusy, dank, resinous, sticky. Everything I love in a DIPA is present and accounted for. I'm into it.

T: See smell. It's ultra balanced with a lingering bitterness on the back of the tongue that sticks around well after the swallow. Tons of hop qualities, with a really pronounced malt backbone. I'm really enjoying this one, and I'll return for a few more bottles.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Nothing to write home about, but nothing offensive. I guess it's typical for the style with the a little more body.

O: Racer 5 is always a go-to, and until now I'd never had Racer X. It's everything I hoped it would be and more. This is up there with the big boys, and I hope more people get a chance to try this one. I think it can stand toe to toe with some of the giants that we all rave about. Well done.

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured a nice orangish/copper color with good carbonation and a nice white head, great lacing and head retention

S: Nose is mainly citrus in the way of orange peel, grapefruit, pine and caramel malt.

T: Taste follows the nose with grapefruit, floral hops with a presence of pine in the rear. Sweetness and caramel malt comes through behind the hops. The finish has a little bit of slickness to it

M: It is medium bodied slightly dry and pretty balanced to the palate.

O: Very good DIPA. A Top 100 in my book. Balanced all the way

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Latest batch 22 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: Orange/brown color with 2 finger frothy head that lasts. Lots of lacing.

S: No surprise - hops! but also lots of sweet malt detected as well. Tangerine, little bit of blood orange, grapefruit, pine, citrus. Awesome - one of the best smelling DIPAs

T: ok, so while it tastes awesome - it's not as good as the aroma. It's a bit sweet for me as well... I am not sure what it is but they seem to have put something in here that enhances the sweetness (my guess its intention is to tone down the bitterness). I don't mind it, but I also wouldn't have minded it if they didn't put it in (I want to say honey, but I may be wrong). I get pine bitterness towards the end, but not overpoweringly bitter. Citrus, grapefruit, orange, with good amount of malt to balance it out.

M: Thick, oily, a bit sticky, carbonation is not very high.

O: Great DIPA! I am not quite sure thought why the bottle says "Vintage 2012" on it (as if this can be aged). I don't think this will benefit from aging. Highly recommended regardless.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Been waiting to try this one for a while.

22oz bottle into a tulip. Pours a clear coppery amber w/ a big frothy head, nice sticky lacing.

Aroma is pungent citrus & pine. Dank and sticky.

Taste follows nose. Harshly bitter resinous hops, grapefruit, pine. Copious pale biscuity malt holds it all together nicely.

Mouthfeel is chewy, oily, w/ a sharply bitter finish.

Overall an intense, powerful DIPA. Comparable to Hoptimum, Pliny the Younger, or Ruination 10. Well done, Bear Republic.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a Bomber into a Snifter glass. No freshness date, though I know my bottle shop got it in this week (10/12).

A: Deep carmel color. 1 finger head. Tons of lacing on the glass.

S: Intense pine/piney smell. Some sweet/tropical fruits, and a bit of citrus of well.

T: Sharp pine taste at first, mellows into a more malty taste than I would have anticipated. Getting a little citrus as well. Getting more of a pine finish than a BAM in your face hop finish.

M: Medium to full bodied, which I would have guess by the color but the piney smell is deceptive. I usually associate piney with lighter mouthfeels. Medium carbonation providing some action on the tongue.

O: It is definitely well balanced. I expected a lighter taste based on the strong pine smell, but was surprised by the malty-ness provided. Very balanced DIPA and worth checking out, esp for the price. About $6 for a bomber.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip.

A- Poured a clean amber body, excellent white head with decent retention. Nice spotty/sticky lacing too! Some uniformed carbonation is visible here and there, but nothing spectacular.... just very minimal.

S- Great aroma! Tropical fruits, piney/grassy hop, and bready malt. Some citrus is also detectable but very subtle on the nose. Nothing overly complex for the style, but very solid and the smell is perfectly balanced.

T- A bit different from nose to palate. Lots of malts, a sweet citrus and a very piney finish. A little alcohol as the beer settles and opens up, but this is a nice compliment with the pine finish.

MF- Great medium body, medium carbonation, dry and subtle warmth finish. Excellent mouthfeel, this is how a dipa should go down... with perfect drinkability!

O- I am a fan of Bear Republic. This is just another great beer by a great brewing company. This did not blow me out of the water as far as imperial IPA's goes, but it has great characteristics and this is worth trying at least once if you are a fan of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Racer X Double IPA from Bear Republic Brewing Co.