Racer X Double IPA - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer X Double IPARacer X Double IPA

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-13-2003

Racer X is an uncommon Double India Pale Ale which puts a California twist on English brewing traditions by adding an assertive hop aroma and bitterness that compliments the firm malt backbone. Like its little brother Racer 5, Racer X is balance in a bottle.

2009 California State Fair – BRONZE
2009 San Diego International Beer Competition – 2nd
2009 West Coast Beer Fest - GOLD
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer X Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,975 | Reviews: 494
4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

GABF2004... Poured a golden color with a small and sticky off white head and light lacing on the glass. Piney and citrusy hop aroma. Taste was lightly bitter, lots of citrus fruits including tangerine and grapefruit. One of the beers I got multiple samples of at last year's GABF.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

This double IPA pours a nice copper color with a faint white head.

Aromas of sweet malt and massive, piney/citrusy hops dominate.

Tastes are similar to aromas with a big malty presence undercut with an avalanche of complex, hoppy bitterness. Pine, citrus, mellon, slight honey tastes.

Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy, with a strong alcohol warmth and a nice dry finish despite the sweetness up fron.

3.67/5  rDev -13.2%

Picked up two (2) growlers from Green's on Piney Grove Road on their first "Rare Keg night". Excellent idea! Keep them coming!

Appearance - Orange glow emits from this brew, a fine/light carbonation feeds the remaining ring of a slight head that formed from the pour. Large bubbles retain after the pour with little lacing as it resolves. A slight haze.

Smell - Lively and big citrus/grapefruit nose. Some bubblegum as well with also a slight caramel aroma. A grassy nose, but overwhelmed by a huge fresh hop aroma. Exceedingly bright, clean and refreshing.

Taste - To say "palate cleansing" to start off the taste review says a lot. Not quite the "tongue-ripper" I was expecting from this huge AD/IPA, but nonetheless you have to fight through the hops to find the finer points of this beer. They are there, sweet malty almost nutty flavor once you adjust. The alcohol is present as well, about mid-way through the sip. Finishes with a crisp bite.

Mouthfeel - Slick and syrupy with a lasting sweet sticky lip feel. Light to moderate density.

Drinkability - Glad I'm not having anything after this offering 'cause I would be hard-pressed to have my taste buds identify mild or malty flavors after this big boy. I tried it. It's not for the malt-lover BA. In my opinion this could have used more balance.

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013. Gorgeous mahogany, long lasting foam. Blast of clean citrus fruit, some dandelion. Thick but not sticky hop taste, perfect bitterness.

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

This great looking amber IPA was great addition to my fridge's collection of beers from the rockin' beer store next door. Racer X was good name for this big brother of the regular Racer 5 as its depth is both greater and it's aroma is more fragrant with malts, hops and fruit. I didn't even bother to pour it into my usual 50 cl glass of many reviews from before as the clear 750ml growler was just another big bottle.

Relaxing with the beer and the Falcons-49ers game, I dove into the volume of nuances. I wished had read the AHA brewing guidelines to further extol the great taste I was enjoying with a fat roast beef hero. In any event, it was a great ale to enjoy while watching football.

4.54/5  rDev +7.3%

This beer pours a very dark amber with a light white head and some lacing. The aroma is big on citrus hops and a slight hint of caramel. The flavor at first is big on the malt and caramel flavors and the you get slammed with the wonderful grapefruit/orange flavors, extremely nicely balance. Low carbonation due to the serving type and a highly drinkable for a DIPA

4.57/5  rDev +8%

was stoked when i walked into hollingshead's on friday to find this still on tap...score.

a great color. a nice rusty orange color. has a great 2 inch fluffy white head. a nice steady stream of bubbles run up the sides of my glass. great sheets of lacing are left.

smell is great. an assault of hops practically leap out of my glass. i could sit with my nose in this all night. i wish all ipas and dipas could smell like this.

taste is sexy. yes. i said it. i find this beer attractive in a sexual manner. a near perfect balance of sweetness and malt great me up front. floral hops, pine, citrus, tobacco all dance with my senses and leave me with a nice bitter aftertaste that begs me to come back and visit it again.

mouth is great, full flavored, not overly carbonated but just enough to give me a few awesome burps. lasting lingering bitterness leaves me happy.

I could drink this beer on ANY occasion. a fantastic beer. probably one of my favorite dipas to date.

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Poured a dark copper sort of color with a two finger eggshell head. Head was really, really tight and lasted a long time.

S: Tons of hops hitting me in the face. Lots of more grapefruit-lime skin type of notes, with a little bit of pine coming in. Can also detect a bit of caramel sweetness.

T: Taste follows the nose quite well. Getting lots of citru kind of hops. It is a little less hop intense than the nose would lead you to believe, but very well balanced. Also, pretty sweet on the finish.

M: Pretty carbonation and semi-thick. Can feel the alcohol slightly as it gets a bit warmer

Overall this was an excellent DIPA. Glad they finally bottled it and I had an opportunity to try it.

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

outstanding it is -
I almost passed this up because I didn't have my own growlers with me, but I went for the extra cost of yet another glass jug -
pours a clear deep amber/red with a nice ! finger head and leaves an impressive amount of ringed lacing all the way down the glass -
the nose is full of pine and resin with a fresh hop profile - earthy and grassy - a gentle swirl rejuvenates a 1/4 inch head each time - taste is very fresh, hop forward with a proper malty sweetness on the back of the tongue - very smooth - just the right amount of stickiness without sappiness(?) - feels just right -no alcohol burn, it's very well hidden - dangerously drinkable here - wish i had more - yummy - so glad I didn't pass it up!

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look 4.0 cloudy amber, with thin off white short lived head Lots of sediment in the 22 oz. bottle,that I am looking forward to getting in the second glass.

Smell 4.0 lots of big citrus grapefruit, lemons and a little bit of sweet malt.

Taste 4.25 Lots of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice citrus. and orange rind. It's well balanced with crystal malt backbone sweetness. ending with a touch of bitter hops. No noticeable alcohol.

Feel 4.25 Medium carbonation, sticky with a long lasting touch of bitter.

Overall 4.25 I like It, I probably wont be returning to it often, due to the price point and so many other IPA bombers always competing for that dollar. But it is definitely not one to be missed if you have not had it before.

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had: on tap at Beachwood BBQ

This IPA is thick, chewy, and delicious. I have had my share of IPAs and I would not hesitate to place this one in my top 3. If you have the opportunity to try this beer, take it. It was Super balanced, had a great floral smell and where most DIPAs can fight their way down, Racer X went down smooth. I would have loved another and will probably have one if I can get back next week.

3.03/5  rDev -28.4%

Beautiful amber colour, didn't notice a strong aroma, no aroma at all. Hoppy brew with grapefruit/citrusy overtones. Taste and mouthfeel reminded me of a summer beer, to quench your thirst. I was not very impressed with this beer, since I have yet to appreciate the high hops content in any brew.

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%

Strong hop nose, piney. Great balance of malt and hop finish.

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy yellow orange. Smells of pine, spicy rye, sweet malts. Tastes of earthy and spicy hops, rye, light grapefruit, caramel. Spicy rye hop resin aftertaste and a medium body med carbonation.

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

Just going off some mental notes from last night's pint at Woody's in City Market.

Rich copper color topped with a one-finger super creamy-looking head like it was poured from a nitro tap. Huge citrus hop aroma that I could smell as soon as my server set it on the table. Major hop bomb - in a good way. Taste is hoppy and citrusy with just a touch of caramel malt. Very resinous. Where is the 9%? Feels like I am drinking something around 7%. Dangerously easy to drink. Full bodied. The creamiest IPA/DIPA I have ever had. No tannins detected. Just thick, creamy hop goodness in a glass. There seems to be some richness to the malt though - maybe Maris Otter base malt? This is exactly what I want in a DIPA.

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

2012 vintage poured into a Duvel tulip

A: Dark burnt orange, crystal clear with a nice white head that disappears almost immediately. Lace like crazy. Pretty typical I suppose, but I do like the color.

S: Pine and Pineapple. Citrusy, dank, resinous, sticky. Everything I love in a DIPA is present and accounted for. I'm into it.

T: See smell. It's ultra balanced with a lingering bitterness on the back of the tongue that sticks around well after the swallow. Tons of hop qualities, with a really pronounced malt backbone. I'm really enjoying this one, and I'll return for a few more bottles.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Nothing to write home about, but nothing offensive. I guess it's typical for the style with the a little more body.

O: Racer 5 is always a go-to, and until now I'd never had Racer X. It's everything I hoped it would be and more. This is up there with the big boys, and I hope more people get a chance to try this one. I think it can stand toe to toe with some of the giants that we all rave about. Well done.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

After looking for this one for a while, was able to get a couple growlers of Racer X locally. Thanks to DeCicco's as always. Consumed from my Weyerbacher tulip.

A- Pours with a healthy White/Tan head. Vigorous pouring on the first glass yielded serious head. Normally pour resulted in 2 fingers or so, and laced the glass nicely. It is a deep golden/orange/amber and is nearly perfectly clear.

S- Like sticking your nose in a bag of fresh hops. Piney and hoppy, some notes of citrus and grapefruit. Some slight malty/carmel sweetness.

T- The initial flavor is much like the smell, tastes of fresh hops. I get some hints of orange rind, and some grapefruit as well. The back end is mostly toffee/malt, with almost no hop aftertaste.

M- Perfect balance to me. No overboard hoppy bitterness, and a nice full bodied DIPA. It is able to be complex, while not going overboard like many other DIPAs. So nice and smooth on the tongue.

D- Easily housed 2 glasses, and wanted to keep drinking more. Much easier to consume than other DIPA's I've had recently, which could be because it was on tap.

I'd definetely buy this one again in a heart beat. Probably one of my top 5 DIPA's, and I've had most of the best. Gonna go home tonight and polish of the growler

-GFunk

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Served on tap at TDR Exton in a tulip glass

Pours a brassy-copper color with some deeper highlights. A medium off-white head hangs about a bit.

Lots of juicy hops in the nose, pine and citrus well balanced and each having a role. A nice maltiness complements the hops nose

The piny hops open the flavor. The citrus note comes in after with orange and tangerine flavor. The sweet malts provide a brilliant base for this beer. A great balance between hops and malt.

A bit heavy but not in a bad way - there is a lot to this beer. I enjoyed 2 of these back-to-back, and could have enjoyed more if there we not other beers I was interested in on tap.

4.36/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

bottled 10/18 (month ago)
Amber color, slightly hazy. Very fresh and intense tropical fruit aroma of pineapple, mango. Slight malty sweetness noticeable but fruit is dominant. On the palate, really well balanced and smooth. Not too bitter, malty, or oily, and alcohol perfectly integrated. I love tropical, well-balanced IPA's, and this might be one of the best out there.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a dark orange copper, with little more than a off-white ring that laces beautifully down.

Smells of piney, citrusy hops with some malt balance.
Taste is as it smells, nice selection of hop and malt. Does a good job of not being obnoixious with the hops. A lot of these are, "look how many hops I can put in this beer" while the taste suffers.
Feels syrupy like it should, lets the hops soak in and reminds you this is a IIPA.
I will buy this again. I will like this on a more summer like night, not a sub zero night. Well done.

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

22 oz bomber |

A : clear, reddish orange, 2 finger head, nice lacing/legs

S : big orange peel, pineapple, some sweet pine, mango

T : follows nose, orange marmelade, lemon zest, resinous, slight dank hopiness, sweet toffee malt, sweet pine.

Overall : Very nice. Super balanced DIPA, orangey dank pine mixed with a solid malt backbone. Light bitter finish.

Cheers ~

4.4/5  rDev +4%

Obtained from a trade with khiasmus. What a trader - fantastic, generous extras!!!

Poured from a growler into a New Belgium snifter.

The aroma is filled with oranges, peaches, mangos, toasty malt, and some hints of pine and grapefruit.

The beer is a brilliant orange/light amber with a small beige head. Belgian lace is left along the glass. The mouthfeel is medium with moderate carbonation.

The taste starts very briefly with some toasty malt - but it is quickly engulfed by a strong lemon/grapefruit bitterness. You get a substantial lingering citrus bitterness after the swallow.

This is a very drinkable DIPA. The peach and mango aroma is unique. The slightly harsh lingering bitterness keeps me from giving it a full five.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle poured into ale glass. No fresh date scen on bottle.

A-Burnt orange body. Half a pinkys fingers width beige/white head. Lacing is minimal and like the head disappears quickly.

S-Has a great inviting aroma. Earthy citrus with a piney twist. Hop resin, grapefruit, pine needles. Caramel/sugar malt is hidden behind the huge hop aroma.

T-Very good and balanced(for a 2x ipa). Up front you get the sweet, biscuit malt back bone and than the hops come in. Like the nose it has a citrus/piney mashup. Tangelo, melon, resin, lemon/orange rind bitterness. Caramel is definitely through the whole palate but becomes more and more hidden as the hop flavor and bitterness come into play.

M-Medium bodied with a puckering bitter finish that leaves a great after taste. Nicely carbonated for the style.

O-Overall a very good beer that does a great job being the imperial version of Racer #5. Only thing this beer was slacking on was the appearance which does not bother me. I drink for the aroma and flavor, not if the beer has a ridiculous foamy head with nice lacing. Buy it and drink it. You will be happy you did.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a dark orange color topped by a small, bubbly off white head that leaves some random spots of lace behind. The aroma shows the sweet toffee and caramel malt backbone to go with fresh floral and grapefruit citrus hops. The flavor follows with the striking bitterness from the fresh floral and grapefruit citrus hops, and balanced out by the sweet toffee malts and honey grains on the backend. Full bodied and sticky from all the hops with ample carbonation and a lengthy bitter finish. There is a touch of heat from the alcohol on the finish as well. This is a really tasty and well done IIPA...

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

A: Poured out a slightly hazy amber color with two to three fingers of off white head head. A moderate amount of lacing

S: Big smell with grapefruit, lemon, floral notes, biscuit, and tropical fruit.

T: Very similar to the nose. Mostly grapefruit and pine, but the other flavors in the smell come out as well. It has a nice malt backbone for balance, but hop bitterness is definitely prominent.

M: Medium body with medium to high carbonation. It is oily but does not leave a bad aftertaste.

O: A truly amazing representation of the style. One of the best DIPAs I've had. Great balance. Full of flavor. The complexity of this beer is what makes it so great in my mind. The beer has a lot of flavors but none too overpowering.

Racer X Double IPA from Bear Republic Brewing Co.