Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Racer X Double IPA | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Racer X Double IPARacer X Double IPA

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Racer X is an uncommon Double India Pale Ale which puts a California twist on English brewing traditions by adding an assertive hop aroma and bitterness that compliments the firm malt backbone. Like its little brother Racer 5, Racer X is balance in a bottle.

2009 California State Fair – BRONZE
2009 San Diego International Beer Competition – 2nd
2009 West Coast Beer Fest - GOLD

Added by xlperro on 01-13-2003

Reviews: 500 | Ratings: 2,103
4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

On tap at Beachwood BBQ:

The color of the beer was deep copper. There was a small white head.

The aroma was wonderfully pungent. The nose was dominated by an explosive burst of resiny and citrusy hops. According to the brewers, this is a Columbus/Cascade heavy beer, but whatever the combo is has notes similar to Summit in the aroma.

The flavor of the beer was primarily that of citrusy hops (duh) with noticable caramel maltiness to help round things out. The hop profile was powerful without being harsh, but didn't have quite the same depth as, say, PP Hop Suey or RR PtE. The deeper caramel aspect compared to many other west coast DIPAs should be reduced IMO. I prefer light and crisp malt backbones in my DIPAs.

The mouthfeel was medium/light and the carbonation seemed dialed in just right. The beer was reasonably well attenuated and not too heavy.Very drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Growler poured at CBX in Charleston earlier today. Reviewed within an hour of when the growler was originally filled.

A: Amber color. Much darker than I had originally expected. No sediment or haze. Head filled about 1/5 of the glass.

S: Some grapefruit, copper, and sugary sweet scents are the first three. A bit of pungent, herbal hop scents on second smell. The color, hops, and scent remind me a bit of a big imperial red.

T: Excellent balance. Very good sweetness, yet also very good, clean bitterness, and some nice citrusy flavors with a hint of resin / herbal bitterness on the tail end.

M: Not as thick as some DIPA's. Moderate carbonation, which is more than average for the style. Helps contribute to the overall well-balanced nature of this beer and keeps it from seeming to sweet or syrupy.

D: 9% ABV is definitely noticeable. However, it's got very good flavor and is such a rare treat that I have to force myself not to race through Racer X.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Served at roadhouse in a goblet.
A orange copper color, with minimal head.
Sweet smelling DIPA, pineapple, pine and citrus. Very floral.
Lots of caramel malt character going on. A very sticky beer with a big rich mouthfeel. Pineapple provides a slight acidic character and citrus plays a role as well. For an DIPA this is a malt bomb.
A fantastic beer that I will have again the next opportunity I have to try it.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

I reviewed this on growler way back for my 13th review. Had it on draught this time and felt it was different enough to warrant a second review.

Into 12oz chalice...

The pour accentuates the ruby/auburn color as the chalice illustrates how bright this ale is.

Out of the growler I felt there was a burnt citrus aroma. Certianly still here, but the pine is the dominant aroma. Big big aroma.

As I wrote before: tasty pine flavor, it is exceptional in the balance between the hop heights and the solid bitter citrus. The flavor is also well balanced with the carbonation. There is a slight oily feel in the front and a bit of water right at the death.

Very tasty but the crispness of the drink allows the taste to stay center. Though I feel the draught had far more heat than I remember from the growler. Draught was quite exceptional for the phyical act of drinking the brew. Still feel this a bit reliant on the pine flavor for my taste.

(92nd)
see also: (13)

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a bright but hazy amber, almost orange in color. Thin sticky white head clings to the glass. Very true to form DIPA here; lots of fresh citrus and hops in the nose and pallate. Some grapefruit, malt, and earthy tones round out the finish. Not overly sweet, but a touch boozey for only 8%. Medium bodied with mild carbonation. Pretty solid beer here and very true to its style.

4.39/5  rDev +3.5%

On tap into oversized wine glass:

A: Orange-golden, hazy body with off-white head, good lacing and retention.

S: Absolutely heavenly. Fresh herbal hops, minty even, along with grassy and citric hops as well.

T: The hops all come through, with a touch of darker fruit, and a nice malty backbone serves well.

M: Full, with an excellent long finish, but not overbearing.

D: What can I say? It's wonderful. The smell will hook you and the taste will not disappoint. The brilliant combination of hops had me wishing it would never end, and even at a relatively high abv, it remains highly drinkable.

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

On tap at Half Time in Poughkeepsie, NY, I brought home a couple of growlers and I was not disappointed. The Racer X pours a slightly cloudy dark reddish amber--sort of the color of root beer--with a thick soft white chocolate head. The lacing was sticky and ringed the glass as I downed this brew. There was excellent balance in the aroma, redolent with sweet malts, florals and citrusy hops. The taste was similar, with an undercoating of prunes to complement the growing bitterness. The mouthfeel was thick and creamy, and I could hardly notice the alcohol (not necessarily a good thing).

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

GABF2004... Poured a golden color with a small and sticky off white head and light lacing on the glass. Piney and citrusy hop aroma. Taste was lightly bitter, lots of citrus fruits including tangerine and grapefruit. One of the beers I got multiple samples of at last year's GABF.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

This double IPA pours a nice copper color with a faint white head.

Aromas of sweet malt and massive, piney/citrusy hops dominate.

Tastes are similar to aromas with a big malty presence undercut with an avalanche of complex, hoppy bitterness. Pine, citrus, mellon, slight honey tastes.

Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy, with a strong alcohol warmth and a nice dry finish despite the sweetness up fron.

3.67/5  rDev -13.4%

Picked up two (2) growlers from Green's on Piney Grove Road on their first "Rare Keg night". Excellent idea! Keep them coming!

Appearance - Orange glow emits from this brew, a fine/light carbonation feeds the remaining ring of a slight head that formed from the pour. Large bubbles retain after the pour with little lacing as it resolves. A slight haze.

Smell - Lively and big citrus/grapefruit nose. Some bubblegum as well with also a slight caramel aroma. A grassy nose, but overwhelmed by a huge fresh hop aroma. Exceedingly bright, clean and refreshing.

Taste - To say "palate cleansing" to start off the taste review says a lot. Not quite the "tongue-ripper" I was expecting from this huge AD/IPA, but nonetheless you have to fight through the hops to find the finer points of this beer. They are there, sweet malty almost nutty flavor once you adjust. The alcohol is present as well, about mid-way through the sip. Finishes with a crisp bite.

Mouthfeel - Slick and syrupy with a lasting sweet sticky lip feel. Light to moderate density.

Drinkability - Glad I'm not having anything after this offering 'cause I would be hard-pressed to have my taste buds identify mild or malty flavors after this big boy. I tried it. It's not for the malt-lover BA. In my opinion this could have used more balance.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

This great looking amber IPA was great addition to my fridge's collection of beers from the rockin' beer store next door. Racer X was good name for this big brother of the regular Racer 5 as its depth is both greater and it's aroma is more fragrant with malts, hops and fruit. I didn't even bother to pour it into my usual 50 cl glass of many reviews from before as the clear 750ml growler was just another big bottle.

Relaxing with the beer and the Falcons-49ers game, I dove into the volume of nuances. I wished had read the AHA brewing guidelines to further extol the great taste I was enjoying with a fat roast beef hero. In any event, it was a great ale to enjoy while watching football.

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer pours a very dark amber with a light white head and some lacing. The aroma is big on citrus hops and a slight hint of caramel. The flavor at first is big on the malt and caramel flavors and the you get slammed with the wonderful grapefruit/orange flavors, extremely nicely balance. Low carbonation due to the serving type and a highly drinkable for a DIPA

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

was stoked when i walked into hollingshead's on friday to find this still on tap...score.

a great color. a nice rusty orange color. has a great 2 inch fluffy white head. a nice steady stream of bubbles run up the sides of my glass. great sheets of lacing are left.

smell is great. an assault of hops practically leap out of my glass. i could sit with my nose in this all night. i wish all ipas and dipas could smell like this.

taste is sexy. yes. i said it. i find this beer attractive in a sexual manner. a near perfect balance of sweetness and malt great me up front. floral hops, pine, citrus, tobacco all dance with my senses and leave me with a nice bitter aftertaste that begs me to come back and visit it again.

mouth is great, full flavored, not overly carbonated but just enough to give me a few awesome burps. lasting lingering bitterness leaves me happy.

I could drink this beer on ANY occasion. a fantastic beer. probably one of my favorite dipas to date.

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%

A: Poured a dark copper sort of color with a two finger eggshell head. Head was really, really tight and lasted a long time.

S: Tons of hops hitting me in the face. Lots of more grapefruit-lime skin type of notes, with a little bit of pine coming in. Can also detect a bit of caramel sweetness.

T: Taste follows the nose quite well. Getting lots of citru kind of hops. It is a little less hop intense than the nose would lead you to believe, but very well balanced. Also, pretty sweet on the finish.

M: Pretty carbonation and semi-thick. Can feel the alcohol slightly as it gets a bit warmer

Overall this was an excellent DIPA. Glad they finally bottled it and I had an opportunity to try it.

4.58/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Moderate carbonation. 1 finger off-white head. Beautiful amber color.

Major citrus on the nose. Grapefruit rind, floral hops, touch of malt sweetness.

Flavor is extremely well-balanced. Like an amplified version of their racer 5. Not overly thick or bitter either. Nice amount of citrus flavors again. Classic west coast hop profile. Malts don't make a flavor appearance, but they must be there to tame this beast into a overall great! Definitely sticks in the mouth after drinking, however the ABV is undetectable and still is pretty easy drinking !!!

I pair this with a nice thick cut ribeye. Traditional cowboy style flavors would pair well -- mash potatoes, spininch, corn, etc. I really like this beer: well balanced, not overly bitter, nice drinkability. I give it a 92/100. A little more carbonation would jump it up to a 95 point plus for me.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

outstanding it is -
I almost passed this up because I didn't have my own growlers with me, but I went for the extra cost of yet another glass jug -
pours a clear deep amber/red with a nice ! finger head and leaves an impressive amount of ringed lacing all the way down the glass -
the nose is full of pine and resin with a fresh hop profile - earthy and grassy - a gentle swirl rejuvenates a 1/4 inch head each time - taste is very fresh, hop forward with a proper malty sweetness on the back of the tongue - very smooth - just the right amount of stickiness without sappiness(?) - feels just right -no alcohol burn, it's very well hidden - dangerously drinkable here - wish i had more - yummy - so glad I didn't pass it up!

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had: on tap at Beachwood BBQ

This IPA is thick, chewy, and delicious. I have had my share of IPAs and I would not hesitate to place this one in my top 3. If you have the opportunity to try this beer, take it. It was Super balanced, had a great floral smell and where most DIPAs can fight their way down, Racer X went down smooth. I would have loved another and will probably have one if I can get back next week.

3.03/5  rDev -28.5%

Beautiful amber colour, didn't notice a strong aroma, no aroma at all. Hoppy brew with grapefruit/citrusy overtones. Taste and mouthfeel reminded me of a summer beer, to quench your thirst. I was not very impressed with this beer, since I have yet to appreciate the high hops content in any brew.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Just going off some mental notes from last night's pint at Woody's in City Market.

Rich copper color topped with a one-finger super creamy-looking head like it was poured from a nitro tap. Huge citrus hop aroma that I could smell as soon as my server set it on the table. Major hop bomb - in a good way. Taste is hoppy and citrusy with just a touch of caramel malt. Very resinous. Where is the 9%? Feels like I am drinking something around 7%. Dangerously easy to drink. Full bodied. The creamiest IPA/DIPA I have ever had. No tannins detected. Just thick, creamy hop goodness in a glass. There seems to be some richness to the malt though - maybe Maris Otter base malt? This is exactly what I want in a DIPA.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

2012 vintage poured into a Duvel tulip

A: Dark burnt orange, crystal clear with a nice white head that disappears almost immediately. Lace like crazy. Pretty typical I suppose, but I do like the color.

S: Pine and Pineapple. Citrusy, dank, resinous, sticky. Everything I love in a DIPA is present and accounted for. I'm into it.

T: See smell. It's ultra balanced with a lingering bitterness on the back of the tongue that sticks around well after the swallow. Tons of hop qualities, with a really pronounced malt backbone. I'm really enjoying this one, and I'll return for a few more bottles.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Nothing to write home about, but nothing offensive. I guess it's typical for the style with the a little more body.

O: Racer 5 is always a go-to, and until now I'd never had Racer X. It's everything I hoped it would be and more. This is up there with the big boys, and I hope more people get a chance to try this one. I think it can stand toe to toe with some of the giants that we all rave about. Well done.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

After looking for this one for a while, was able to get a couple growlers of Racer X locally. Thanks to DeCicco's as always. Consumed from my Weyerbacher tulip.

A- Pours with a healthy White/Tan head. Vigorous pouring on the first glass yielded serious head. Normally pour resulted in 2 fingers or so, and laced the glass nicely. It is a deep golden/orange/amber and is nearly perfectly clear.

S- Like sticking your nose in a bag of fresh hops. Piney and hoppy, some notes of citrus and grapefruit. Some slight malty/carmel sweetness.

T- The initial flavor is much like the smell, tastes of fresh hops. I get some hints of orange rind, and some grapefruit as well. The back end is mostly toffee/malt, with almost no hop aftertaste.

M- Perfect balance to me. No overboard hoppy bitterness, and a nice full bodied DIPA. It is able to be complex, while not going overboard like many other DIPAs. So nice and smooth on the tongue.

D- Easily housed 2 glasses, and wanted to keep drinking more. Much easier to consume than other DIPA's I've had recently, which could be because it was on tap.

I'd definetely buy this one again in a heart beat. Probably one of my top 5 DIPA's, and I've had most of the best. Gonna go home tonight and polish of the growler

-GFunk

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

bottled 10/18 (month ago)
Amber color, slightly hazy. Very fresh and intense tropical fruit aroma of pineapple, mango. Slight malty sweetness noticeable but fruit is dominant. On the palate, really well balanced and smooth. Not too bitter, malty, or oily, and alcohol perfectly integrated. I love tropical, well-balanced IPA's, and this might be one of the best out there.

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

Served on tap at TDR Exton in a tulip glass

Pours a brassy-copper color with some deeper highlights. A medium off-white head hangs about a bit.

Lots of juicy hops in the nose, pine and citrus well balanced and each having a role. A nice maltiness complements the hops nose

The piny hops open the flavor. The citrus note comes in after with orange and tangerine flavor. The sweet malts provide a brilliant base for this beer. A great balance between hops and malt.

A bit heavy but not in a bad way - there is a lot to this beer. I enjoyed 2 of these back-to-back, and could have enjoyed more if there we not other beers I was interested in on tap.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a dark orange copper, with little more than a off-white ring that laces beautifully down.

Smells of piney, citrusy hops with some malt balance.
Taste is as it smells, nice selection of hop and malt. Does a good job of not being obnoixious with the hops. A lot of these are, "look how many hops I can put in this beer" while the taste suffers.
Feels syrupy like it should, lets the hops soak in and reminds you this is a IIPA.
I will buy this again. I will like this on a more summer like night, not a sub zero night. Well done.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

22 oz bomber |

A : clear, reddish orange, 2 finger head, nice lacing/legs

S : big orange peel, pineapple, some sweet pine, mango

T : follows nose, orange marmelade, lemon zest, resinous, slight dank hopiness, sweet toffee malt, sweet pine.

Overall : Very nice. Super balanced DIPA, orangey dank pine mixed with a solid malt backbone. Light bitter finish.

Cheers ~

Racer X Double IPA from Bear Republic Brewing Co.