Racer X Double IPA - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer X Double IPARacer X Double IPA

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 01-13-2003

Racer X is an uncommon Double India Pale Ale which puts a California twist on English brewing traditions by adding an assertive hop aroma and bitterness that compliments the firm malt backbone. Like its little brother Racer 5, Racer X is balance in a bottle.

2009 California State Fair – BRONZE
2009 San Diego International Beer Competition – 2nd
2009 West Coast Beer Fest - GOLD
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Racer X Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 493 | Hads: 2,059
4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

served on tap at Coles, had in a Tulip glass.
Appearance-golden orange, medium carbonation.
Smell-wonderful notes of citrus and pine.
Taste-heavy notes of grapefruit, tangerine, orange, followed with light pine notes and with a slight alcohol kick on the finish.
Mouthfeel-lovely,not too much carbonation, a nice citrus hop taste lingers.
Overall-I have to admit I have been waiting to try this beer for awhile, and I was not disapointed, I actually said to my wife, this could be my new favorite beer. If you are a fan of Imperial IPA's or IPA's seek this beer out, excellent, very nicely balanced.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

I'm so lucky, just another local prized DIPA!!!
22oz bomber from the brewery

A: Pours with a nice 2 finger cream white head, Golden, Amber. AMAZING LACING!!! Took a picture and sent it to half a dozen people.

S: Citrus, Tropical, Tangerine

T: Hoppy Liquid Candy. The hops are more fruity than harsh, great tart punch still. Well balance from start to finish. Alcohol is there but hidden well.

M: Smooth, Heavy but Crisp. Great Carbonation, maintained a sold layer of foam the whole way down.

O: Tasted like an awesome blend of Stoopid and Elder. Love it!!! This beer should be top 10 DIPA. Get some!

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours deep dark orange, almost brown. Solid 2 finger head. Citrus, hops, malt nose, taste is similar with some bitterness from the hops. Very easy drinking at 8%.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Found on tap at Grapevine in Fort Mill, SC. I won't see this one again soon, so I picked up a growler.

Pours clear, amber/orange in color. Pour yields 1" of frothy off white/caramel colored head, which leaves behind abundant, thick, runny lacing.

Huge piney hops smell. Also getting some grapefruit and orange peel. Nice caramel toffee scents too.

Blast of pine hops with a good deal of sweetness, but finishes dry and crisp. Some of the caramel toffee tones are present in the taste too.

Great mouthfeel. Medium body, full but not sticky or chewy. I couldn't get enough of beer. I wish it came around more often.

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip.

A- Poured a clean amber body, excellent white head with decent retention. Nice spotty/sticky lacing too! Some uniformed carbonation is visible here and there, but nothing spectacular.... just very minimal.

S- Great aroma! Tropical fruits, piney/grassy hop, and bready malt. Some citrus is also detectable but very subtle on the nose. Nothing overly complex for the style, but very solid and the smell is perfectly balanced.

T- A bit different from nose to palate. Lots of malts, a sweet citrus and a very piney finish. A little alcohol as the beer settles and opens up, but this is a nice compliment with the pine finish.

MF- Great medium body, medium carbonation, dry and subtle warmth finish. Excellent mouthfeel, this is how a dipa should go down... with perfect drinkability!

O- I am a fan of Bear Republic. This is just another great beer by a great brewing company. This did not blow me out of the water as far as imperial IPA's goes, but it has great characteristics and this is worth trying at least once if you are a fan of the style.

3.59/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It's been a while since I have had the Racer 5, but I remember it being an above average IPA. I was excited to try the Racer X, but am a little disappointed. Nothing really stands out about this one for me. The hoppiness is kind of one dimensional with a piney taste, but that is quickly replaced with a malty aftertaste. It's not bad, but for the price there are a lot of other double IPA's I would rather have. Good thing it is Christmas and I got plenty of different options to choose from!

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought a pint on tap and then bought a few bombers to go.

A: A very nice orange color, a little on the darker side. Clear and lots of lacing.

S: Smells great. Lots of grapefruit and other citrus. A hint of pine.

T: Grapefruit and other citrus. Then the hops and a little bit of sweet alcohol. Tastes great.

M: Medium body and moderate carbonation. Smooth.

O: I'm glad I drove up to Healdsburg and had it on tap. Definitely an excellent DIPA. Not my favorite, but it is really good. I wish they would make it year round.... I would definitely buy it again.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

On tap at Library Alehouse, regrettably only a few ounces in a ten ounce chalice, but then I was working.

This beer rolled out of the tap beautifully, and was a pleasure to pour. Good, yet tight head, that did dissipate a tad quickly.

Deep, copper colored malt that is barely present in the nose, which is dominated by the well extracted hop profile of this brew. It was difficult to draw many single attributes out I found, but all the regular suspects were present.

The first sip revealed a beautiful candied orange slice base neatly balanced by the assertive yet delicate and varied hop character, which demonstrated a nice citric bite.

This beer really wins in mouthfeel as far as I am concerned, because it has a full richness that is truly powerful, yet never overbearing nor does it linger to long. In fact, this beer finishes fairly dry with a mellow hop bitterness.

Great to taste it good and fresh, and makes me remember my days in Philadelphia drinking 90 minute. Right up there with it in my book, and I love the 90.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Served from a bomber into my Bruery snifter.

Pours a bright orange/copper with 1.5 fingers of bright white head. Smells of vibrant pine and funky herb, with some sweet citrus.

Taste is excellent - tons of piney grapefruit, substantial malt sweetness with flavors of honey and a lingering balanced bitterness.

Mouthfeel is pretty thick and creamy. Mild carbonation that allows the malt sweetness to shine among the huge pine and citrus peel flavor.

A strong malt bill and clean hop flavors make this a very drinkable DIPA, and very representative of the strong west coast style.

A - clear bright orange, 1 inch off white head.

S - citrus, orange, sweet pine

T - sweet malts, oranges, citrus, grapefruit with a nice hoppy bitter bite on the finish

M - buttery texture, smooth, bitter carbonation

O - really enjoyed this double. Drank on 12-10-14 and dated best by 1/30/15 so this may have a few months of age on it but still very good. I'd like to get one a little fresher to compare. I have only a few weeks to do so as bear Republic is pulling it's distribution out of MA in 2015. Hope to see them back in the future.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Typical IPA or DIPA appearance. A nice off white head with a deliciously sweet hoppy aroma. This brew has an intense but absolutely amazing flavor. It has some very distinct hop bitterness but all kinds of flavors are blending in this beer. Peach, mango and cherry are some I noted but really I don’t think it can be described (at least not by me.) Absolutely fucking sublime and this is truly "balance in a bottle." Picking up on a bit of the 8.3% abv. Mouthfeel is phenomenal not a syrupy double IPA. This has a nice crisp bite to it as you are sipping it but it mellows out and coats the tongue in hoppy resins on the aftertaste. Overall this beer is fucking delicious! I wish it wasn't seasonal and so damn uncommon.

3.29/5  rDev -22.4%

Pretty, deep amber color.

Smell is very boring. i thought something was wrong with my nose. couldnt get much of an aroma from it. a little citrus and some malt.

taste is relatively boring. a little boozy, malty and some citrus hop flavor.

8 oz pour. plenty.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Racer X
A great offering from Bear Republic!
The appearance of this beer is a sunset amber. A light layer of foam. The smell of this double is of sweet fresh hops. Definately a fresh keg and highly hopped beer. The taste is pretty balanced, a slight burn from the high hop content but very floral and drinkable. The mouthfeel has a bit of a bite but tolerable. I would definately have another if I see it on tap again. Followed it with an Elder and it can compete.
Great Double IPA!

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

On-tap Horse Brass Pub, Portland.
Orange copper color with a small but lasting head. Pungent floral and citrus scent with a noticeable presence of the caramel malt. The taste definitely brings the hops, in which grapefruit and orange prevail, but a bit less hoppy and more malty sweetness than expected...based on Racer 5. Smooth and very drinkable. Definitely try this one, but not before you have a Pliny the Elder.

2.63/5  rDev -38%

I have been a fan of Racer beers but this was overly sweet with a very sour after-taste showing an unbalanced, poorly shipped or produced beer.

The XV was much better balanced and travelled well and the Racer is a good representation of a west coast style but the X was very, very poor.

Anyone in Ohio disappointed with their X?

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%

With 7 hours to kill the Sunday after GABF we headed over to the Falling Rock. The plan was to have a Pliny (the Elder) and then work through a few others doing reviews as we went. Imagine our surprise when RacerX, which we were teased with 1 oz samples of for the previous 3 days, was freshly tapped.

Color is a lovely deep copper. It has a lasting fluffy white head. Lacing is more of a death grip on the glass. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Citrus and sweet malt.

This is SO good. Very hop forward with bright bursting notes of citrus, tangerine, naval orange, and pine. The malt compliments the hops perfectly. Resin and if honey could be a citrus product this is what it would be. This is an exceptional treat.

Flawless. Carbonation is excellent. Aftertaste is smooth and pleasant

I'm drinking this till they ask me to leave.

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I finally scored a bottle of this!

I don't know how to score "appearance"...

Nice stuff! Started off with more fruit than pine in the smell. Apricots?

The flavor was all I was expecting and maybe more. When the beer was coldest there was lots of fruity hop flavor but as the bomber warmed, more pine and malt came out while still maintaining that yummy hop bitterness. I didn't really taste alcohol, per se. The malt is present -- you can taste the sweetness -- but not in that cloying, uber-sweet, overpowering way. I would say the balance of this beer is spot-on.

I have been consistently pleased with the products from Healdsburg.

3.9/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Cloudy dark orange, no head

S: Big time skunky earthy hops a hint of pine rosin and hint of citrus. Not much malt smell a tiny note of tangy dried fruit.

T: Good balance for a beer with this much hops. Salty and earthy right at the start, the flavor moves quickly to sweet malt (brown sugar, light creamy orange) and then to earthy and herbal hops. Obviously finishes rather bitter.

M: Carbonation dominates the mouthfeel. Dry on finish but some sweetness also.

D: Very drinkable for an insane imperial IPA. One glass only for me though, my mouth was still bitter after I brushed my teeth.

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

thanks Ed and Aaron for the free pints of this rare treat!
dark copper transparent pour, healthy light tan head, lacing all over the place.
the smell, super piney, with a toffee, caramel backbone. hella hoppy nose! sniffed this one for a minute before diving in.
chewy as hell toffee on the taste, followed by pine resin bite. tastes a bit boozey, surprised to hear this is only 9 percent, would've guessed around 11 from the taste. sticky icky! coats the tongue with hoppy goodness that just wont let go. definitely top notch DIPA, over the top (turned my hat backwards) hops and malty chewiness!

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Good nose honey, toffee/carmel, orange/grapefruit, abv creeps in. Nice orange amber color. Tad hazy. Good head that left lacing all the way down. Sweet malt, Kinda toasty. Citrus hops, mainly grapefruit/orange combo. Bit syrupy with bitter finish. Another winner fron Bear Republic.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

I'm sitting at 185 enjoying this offering from tap. I'm getting more impressed with my drinking skills for I thought the bartender said an IPA from Racer and upon me first sip I knew I was dealing with a double. A very fine double at that, more drinkable than Stones Ruin. As drinkable as a double could be. It's hoppy goodness no balance here, and that's fine by. If you have never tried and your a Hop Head do it!!!!

3.81/5  rDev -10.1%

Went up to Bear Republic a couple of weeks ago to try this on tap. I was bummed because they were out of it. So I ran across it at BevMo they other day while stocking up on beer. I can not write/describe beer as eloquently as others here. So I'll just say this beer is really really good if you like Northern California/PNW style IPA's.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Growler obtained from Canal St (Reading, PA) for $20.

Pours a murky orange gold. Moderate white foam head which paints the glass white as you drink it down.

Smell is pine, grapefruit, fruit... hops.

Taste is syrupy, fruity, grapefruit and piney hops. Some booziness seeps through but not hot at all.

As mentioned earlier the mouth is a little syrupy, but moderate overall. Carbonation is understated but ample enough. This beer is big and heavy enough that it isn't something your typical drinker will be throwing down w ease. Not a sipper... but certainly not a session.

Definitely thicker and sweeter than Racer 5, and not very floral like I find 5 to be. A really nice big left coast IPA. Not my favorite, but definitely well done and worth drinking if you can get it for a decent price. I've yet to be disappointed with Bear Republic.

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

DIIPAs just don't get a lot better than this in my opinion. I love a lot of DIIPAs, but this one is up fighting for the top spot.

A: Pours a golden orange.

S: The nose is full of hop aromas in the form Citrus and Tropical fruits.

T: Just like the smell. This is like a milder Ruination with a great citrus and grapefruit explosion followed by a great malt balance.

M: The feel is smooth with medium carbonation. Just what I want in this type of DIPA.

D: One or two of these is probably the perfect amount, but I have to admit I closed out the Growler. The more I had the more I wanted. I would probably rethink that (or at least try) the next time around.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

I was lucky enough to get this on cask, into a 6 or so oz scotch-ish highball sorta glass.

It was my first experience with bear republic and I think it may have spoilt (I am from the south) me. It resembles in most ways (on cask at least) a hyrbrid between DFH 90 and 120 with less alcohol.

Its a deep shadowy golden color with good head retention and pretty nice, foamy lacing. The lacings sort of temporary though, nothing impressive.

Enough about the lacing... It smells like sweet caramel hops, sounds like a good ice cream flavor to me. Doesn't quite have the "hop soup" vibe in the smell that 120 has but its about the closest smelling thing to it I can recall. Very delicious and engaging smell, makes your mouth water

Juicy ripe pineapple sweetness and a grapefruity hop bite. The taste isn't as extreme as I was expecting but it holds its own. Definitely tastes more alcoholic to me, the cask seems to do crazy things to it but I have no "uncask" reference point on it. I definitely recommend it to ipa and hop lovers but I can't put an easy drinkin stamp on it. I'd have it again and again, esp casked, its not for pansies but not to the extreme either.

Racer X Double IPA from Bear Republic Brewing Co.