2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Barrel 45 Wet Hop Wild Racer 5 - Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Barrel 45 Wet Hop Wild Racer 5
No picture uploaded.

Bear Republic Brewing Co. visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: AgentMunky on 10-04-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 14 | Reviews: 4 | Show All Ratings:
BierJager89

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Hazy orange with a slightly tan head.

S: Sour funky Belgian yeast and orange in the nose.

T: Tart lemon, orange.

M: Medium bodied and smooth enough.

O: It's got some tart character from the wild yeast, but it's still got some of the hop character of racer 5.

01-22-2014 09:11:51 | More by BierJager89
Duane_Opfer

3.63/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Purchased from Whole Foods/VA Beach. Served in a pint glass.

A - Golden amber in color with a finger of white small bubble foam. Clear/no sediment. Heavily carbonated. Left striated lacing on sides of glass as liquid receded.

S - Strongest scent was soured OJ, not something I necessarily look for... otherwise, hints of lemon, lime, and apple.

T - Overbearing tartness. Sour OJ finish. Combined with heavy carbonation, very sour and acidic.

M - As mentioned above, heavily carbonated. Lightly bodied. Clean and crisp. Left mouth tingling.

O - Sour OJ is simply not something I look for... the beer was drinkable, and better than some wholesale domestic options, but ranks rather low among craft beers. Not recommended.

10-26-2013 00:36:24 | More by Duane_Opfer
Sludgeman

District of Columbia

3.79/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a becher at Rustico/Arlington

Never before have I tasted a beer like this! My first sip was like I had taken a bite of a peppermit patty followed by a swig of grapefruit juice. A totally unbalance hoppy beer with the Brett seemly emphasizing and transforming the hoppy grapefruit flavors. Rated less than a 4 overall, so not a beer I would typically search out, but this beer is so unique to me that I would have another to verify my original impressions. It would also serve as an excellent contrast to most other beers in my typical session.

A – Pours a clear amber with little to no head. Thought it was the bar pour, but swirling revealed the aroma but produced little head. Zero lacing.

S – Peppermint and grapefruit in equal combinations. Every time I took a whiff a different aroma dominated.

T – Some malty backbone but more of a crisp tasting brew with the grapefruit hoppiness and slight sweetness. The herbal hoppiness results in some peppermint as well, but taking a backseat to the grapefruit.

MF – Medium light body. Crisp. Aftertaste was minimal. A little sharpness at the back of the throat.

09-16-2013 19:50:23 | More by Sludgeman
AgentMunky

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%

I won a growler fill at Bear Republic's 4th Annual Cellar Party and, as far as I know, it is the only such growler (though try your luck at the Great American Beer Festival!). My favorite beer at the party. Filled Sunday 30 September. Opened 3 October 2010.

A: Very light head has me worried that I've left it to long, but there is a visible effervescence in the murky, copper-colored beer.

S: Funky fruit, Brettanomyces and mango. Tannic and reminiscent of a red wine. Noticeable oak reminds me of whiskey and slightly stale yeast of an old ale. There is a lot going on here, and I really like it.

T/M: Oooh yeah. Still good. A bit thinner and spritelier than I recall, but I suspect that might improve with warmth. And I've still got more than a litre to go... Anyway. A briney sourness is present in the background, but all the main action is happening up front. The beer is still bitter, hoppy, and noticeably an IPA. Additionally, there are explosions of citric acid that pack a lightly puckery bite and then leave lemon juice, lime peel, and finally mellow ruby grapefruit in their wake. The aftertaste is refreshingly, herbally bitter but doesn't outlast the wild yeast in the long-haul.

O: I love this beer, and I am incredibly grateful I got to take some home. Highly recommended. Racer 5 is a phenomenal IPA, the wet hopping was great, and two years in a neutral French oak (ex-wine) barrel only improved it. The wild yeast was a little funky, but was what makes it so interesting. Will think about often.

Notes: "Barrel 45 was filled in September of 2010 with Racer 5 IPA and over ten pounds of freshly picked Yakima valley Columbus hops. Refermented with wild yeast and bacteria, it is now a floral, fruity, slightly tart, and funky American wild ale."

Serving type: growler

10-04-2012 03:23:59 | More by AgentMunky
Barrel 45 Wet Hop Wild Racer 5 from Bear Republic Brewing Co.