Dockside Amber Lager - Wagner Valley Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 66 | Reviews: 36
Reviews by Freggs:
3.73/5  rDev +12.3%

A pleasing if somewhat raw beer. I had no problems with gushing or overcarbonation. Head rose high and lingered with lace over a maple syrup/sap colored amber, a very attractive lager. Nose fruity with strong hints of maple and brown sugar. Beer is not as sweet as all that, although the caramel underbelly is certainly sugary (and tasty). Bitter, piney hops and musty, fruity yeast do a nice job of evening out the woody flavor. An enjoyable beer although novices may be put off by the strong, unrefined flavor. Not me. Amber lagers are versatile with many different foods, but why not try this in the morning alongside a tall stack of flapjacks?

You know... I'm pretty impressed. I drank this immediately after a barleywine and it held its own - it didn't seem, like so many brews from big companies, like there was nothing to it. So, yeah, that means that it's got some flavor and body to it. Nice. Even after eating a bit and waiting then having more I was still hip to it. Nice and malty, that's for sure. Mind you... We do have a few little comments... My wife said that it tastes a little like root beer! On really thinking about, I suppose I can see that a little. I'd attribute that to maybe low carbonation... Of course, for the style it might just be a little underattenuated...

Anyway... Without doing a horizontal tasting... It seems to be right along the lines of the sled dog - just on the lighter side. And that's fine. I'm sure I be drinking more of these - their prices are very reasonable for what you get.

2.99/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - as the name suggests, the color is amber! No head.

Smell - a bit sweet smelling. Not much else.

Taste - sweet at first, changes over to a bit of a bitter ending.

Mouthfeel - average.

Overall - average. There are plenty of other lagers I would drink.

2.58/5  rDev -22.3%

For a Vienna style, this had a rather faint, roasted malt with a rather odd, smokey aspect. Perhaps it is the yeast strain being used here, but the beer had an off flavor that threw the beer out of balance. Not bad, but I do not find myself wanting another.

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

The beer after dislodging itself from the 12-ounce brown bottle sets in the glass an amber color with a modest off white head that is frothy in texture as it dissolves the lace forms a fine curtain to drape the glass. Nose has a sweet malted grain aroma, crisp and fresh to the senses with the start lightly sweet and pleasingly malted, the top is middling in its feel to the palate. Finish is middle0of-th-road as far as acidity goes, the hops delectable in their spicy bite, the aftertaste dry, and a nice change of pace.

3.51/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours dark amber to light brown with a creamy head than settles to a thin, lasting creamy cover. Some thin lines of lacing stick.

The smell is of mild caramel with just a touch of woody, slightly spicy hops.

The taste is of sweet caramel with grainy, slightly nutty notes. A mild hop touch is enough to balance sweetness, leading to a semi-dry, somewhat abrupt, finish.

The body is light-to-medium, with carbonation on aggressive side, though maintaining a creamy smoothness.

A straight-forward, malty, easy drinking Vienna Lager.

3.55/5  rDev +6.9%

Another very nice brew by the Wagner Brewing Co. It pours a semi dark amber with this gigantic white plume as a covering. The body does not appear overly carbonated, nor does the affect, but this head seems to be a trademark of bottled products of this brewery.
The taste is by far its strong point with a mild malt background and a slight hint of caramel. Full bodied and impressive once you get by its heady weakness.

3.13/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz bottle obtained via trade with Shippos. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured in an imperial pint glass, forms a 1/2" creamy light tan head, which laces ok. A copper hued brew, with a prevailing aroma of slightly nutty malts. Taste is follows the nose, but just seems to be lacking in the flavor department. Mouthfeel is thin, and drinkability is okay. Not bad for a session, hanging-around-with-the-guys-watching-football brew, if that's what you're looking for.

2.58/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours a deep mahogany amber with a nice off white lacing with eccentric bubbles floating around on top and low visible carbonation.

Aroma is a bit salty.. of Vienna malt and a touch of chocolate comes out modestly clean.

Taste also alternates between a bit of chocolate, slight biscuity Oktoberfest flavor, and a clean bittering hop. Almost seems like there's more alcohol in there than there really is. Actually it's the hops. There's something way off in the hop character here.. maybe my mind was set for an Oktoberfest or something more juicy like Brooklyn lager. This has a very spicy, acidic hop finish that ruins the beer really. In total contrast to the mellowness of the malt. Very sour and puckering. I think it's just a pure overdose of the bittering hops along with some harsh tannins. This is close to a drainpour for me.

Mouthfeel is decent though. Nice and smooth and round.

I was expecting a little more from this beer and it just turned out weird and offsetting. This was the first of a mixed six pack I got as a gift from this brewery so I'm hoping the rest are a little better.

2.5/5  rDev -24.7%

I always try to hit Wagner every year when I vacation up in the Finger Lakes, and finally decided to properly review a few of their offerings. First up was the signature Dockside Amber Lager.

Poured the 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Deep, deep amber color, somewhat cloudy, with good head retention and lacing. Smelled pretty nice too, with some malt and floral kick to it.

But the taste...hmmm. What IS this beer? Much fuller and maltier than I would've expected from a lager, amber or otherwise, and not in a good way. I found the sweetness overpowering and cloying. There's some hop bitterness in there somewhere, but overall I found the flavor profile a bit of a mess.

Mouthfeel, for what it's worth, was fine, nice carbonation, but again, the sweetness made it a difficult call overall. It's drinkable to a point, but I could only really handle just one.

It's a shame, because Wagner does some awesome brews, especially the Sled Dog. And maybe I got a bad batch. But overall, I'm not going with this one again.

3.88/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Explodes out of bottle with a 5+ finger light brown head but fades quickly leaving only traces of lace. Murky brown/amber with a ton of chunky bits, ugliest beer I've seen in a while. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Nose is raisin and yeast. Starts with sweet raisin & plum, there is a hint of yeast in the background, finishes smooth and is actually very drinkable. $1.00 for a 12 oz bottle from Hoosick Street Discount Bev. Troy, NY.

3.26/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: pours a copper color with a two finger head that slowly falls. Some nice lacing develops during the session.

Smell: light caramel is all that is detectable.

Taste: thin malt profile. Caramel, hints of brown sugar, mild earthiness, and a mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp at the start, smoother and a touch dry at the end. Lighter side of a medium bodied beer.

Drinkability: so-so as this is a bit thin. Low alcohol gives this a bit higher nod, but overall this is a bit dull.

3.13/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Pours a dark amber color with a small tan head that fades quickly and no lacing.

S: Mostly a grain aroma with a hint of sweet malt.

T: A mild sweet malt & caramel taste. A very light bitterness with a mild sticky sweetness for an aftertaste.

F: Fairly light body, quite smooth.

D: Decent drinker, but a tad sweet to have more than 1-2. A nice unoffensive brew. Got as a 6-pack mixer.

3.8/5  rDev +14.5%

I like this beer. I tried it for the first time on tap at the brewhouse and got a mix a six pack with two of these. I must say I liked it better on the tap, but this was still pretty decent. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. It pours a nice hearty amber color, with excellent clarity. It has a nice frothy foamy head that initially looks great, but the beer provides no lacing or glass retention at all, I'd probably give it another full point on the appearance scale if that was the case, plus it clears up completely in maybe 2 minutes. The smell is pretty good too, very malty. Smells caramelized and toasted. The taste is much like the smell, generously malty and great on a cold night. The taste is initially sweet, roasted and caramelized malts. There's an additional sweetness that I can't quite put my finger on, maybe like a brown sugar or some type of brown sugar extract, pretty nice and well balanced though.***Let this beer warm up a little if it's in the refrigerator or don't refrigerate it at all. The flavor is dulled quite a bit when cooled off, more so than other beers I've tried*** I really can't taste the hops, but there is a bitter feel at the end so it's clearly noticeable as an ingredient. The mouthfeel is good, pretty full bodied and smooth. A very drinkable beer. I gotta say I was really in the mood for a malty beer when I drank this. So go for it if you're in the mood for a nice malty lager, but at the same token, avoid it at all cost when you're looking for something hoppy.

You don't just get wine from the Finger Lakes...

I must say this one is better on tap, as are all Wagners, but I did bring some back bottled and was a little disappointed.

Pours medium-dark mahogany amber with a light beige foamy head, quick dissipation, decent carbonation. Smells slightly like dried raisins or prunes with some malts and a bit of 'oldness'. I think it was sittin' in the bottle a bit too long. Taste followed well, medium maltiness, lightly sweet, and a good punch of hops. Rather well balanced but again tasted a bit outdated. Overall, OK, but better on tap.

3.52/5  rDev +6%

Vienna malt…roasted…nutty qualities…lightly hopped aroma. This beer is a mildly aeromatic, but very pleasant to smell. Subtle and understated, but very nice. It’s a dark, nearly ruby, reddish-brown color. The hue is more deep than what I’d call amber. It has no appreciable head. Moderately sweet up front with a nice bitter and lingering hoppiness by the finish. Enjoyable and average local brew.

3.75/5  rDev +13%

The beer pours a dark amber color with a thick frothy off-white head. The aroma is good. It has a dry toasted aroma with a malty scent created with the use of pale, crystal, and vienna malts. The taste is decent. It has a bitter, dry, and toasted flavor that goes down easy, but leaves a grainy aftertaste. It has a nice malty core and suttle hop flavor. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good drinker lager. It has a strange taste, but it's growing on me. It has a bit of an unsavory metal flavor.

3.8/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured a crystal clear medium copper color with virtually no head.
Smell is very light with some faint caramel notes to be found.
Taste Is strongly malty with caramel and much dark fruit essences to be found.
Finishes light, sweet and very refreshing.
An all around enjoayble beer. Very middle of the road.

A solid offering in what generally is a rather uninspried catagory IMHO. This has some similarities to SA Boston Lager, but kicked up a notch or two. The malts are balanced nicely with spicey Hallertau and Tettnang. Finishes clean and beckons you drink more.

3.12/5  rDev -6%

I want to love these guys. I really do. Anyone who both brews beer and wine is worthy of everyones respect. I wish I have had a good beer from them. When I was there the other day, I bought a sixer of everything they had. This was your perfectly average lager. Amber in colour it was. A moderate head. The smell was light all around. Mild hops and mild malts. a little caramel. The taste was exactly the same. I don't know. It's just your middle of the road lager.

3.33/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a clear dark brown. Candy nose. Flavor brings a bit too much of the same. Too much cotton candy sweetness. Too much tang. No balance. None of the earthy character I would hope would be delivered. Feel is slick and smooth on liquid. Carbonation is middle of the road, but what's there nips at the mouth. Too sweet. Too tangy. Pass.

3.03/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance:

As the name implies, this pours a nice amber brown with a faint lacing of white head on top.

Smell:

Fairly mild with some nice malt flavor to it, but nothing that jumps out and says drink me.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Nice and smooth with a smoked aspect to it. Sweetens by midsip, and ends with an off bitterness to it. Probably the weakest offering from Wagner I've encountered.

3.3/5  rDev -0.6%

A- nice dark amber color, small head that left quickly, no lacing to speak of.

S- slightly malty, grainy as well, not overpowering

T- Malt comes through more than I expected with a slight hop finish that balances it out well.

M- very lightly carbonated, just very slightly oily

D- very drinkable, seems to be a solid amber lager but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to have it again.

3.3/5  rDev -0.6%

A - Poured a amber color with a thin off white head

S - Is mostly of sweet malt

T - Much like the smell sweet malt with some caramel

M - Has light carbonation pretty smooth

D - his is a pretty easy to drink beer good taste and is smooth could session this beer

3.26/5  rDev -1.8%

Brought some back with me after visiting family in Rochester, NY.

Pours dark amber--almost reddish--with a nice head that settles rather quickly. Decent carbonation throughout, but not much lacing.

Smell of caramel and chocolate and sweet malts. I also get a hint of woody, earthy hops.

Upon tasting, much of the sweet malt comes through. Later I get a bit of the root beer taste that others mentioned.

Mouth feel is light, yet creamy. Very smooth and perfectly carbonated.

Overall, I'd say it's a pretty decent beer. At first, the initial sweetness was off-putting to me, when I've taken the time to enjoy it, I actually like the balance of flavors. The six-pack I picked up will come in handy as a nice refreshment for a summer day.

to view more.