Sled Dog Trippel Bock - Wagner Valley Brewery

Wagner Valley Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Doppelbock |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: xlperro on 03-25-2003)
Reviews by johnniemarg:
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Growler I bought about 3 weeks ago at the brewery, poured into a pint glass.

Pours a deep dark amber with a tan quarter-inch head. After a couple of minutes the head goes away leaving just a film on the top. The color of this really is gorgeous. Very little lacing left on the glass.

Smells of sweet molasses and vanilla, maybe plum.

This tastes great. Taste is in line with the smell, very rich and smooth, and like their doppelbock I think this has a bit of a sasparilla (don't know the spelling) flavor to it. How this differs from their doppelbock to me is the plum/cherry flavor is much more front and center in the taste throughout each sip. Almost no noticeable hop flavor, but some hop spice. That could be the alcohol though.

This is a full-bodied creamy brew, about as thick as they get. Might qualify as "chewy".

This is a great beer. At 10%, I'll be hurting after I finish this growler tonight, but I couldn't help myself from opening it while home alone and I want to enjoy this beer as much as possible before its quality fades. Highly drinkable. Just a great beer.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

I have been waiting to try this beer actually for a few years now and grabed when I had the chance.Poured a deep crimson with some ruddy brownish hue a thin but weel retained light brown head atop.Concentrated aromas like that of a nutty port,light alcohol and concetrated orange essence round out an appetizing nose.For 10% alc this beer goes down very easily its rich in flavor but not overly big in the mouthfeel department,like drinking a nice nutty port wine quite smooth with some caramel notes along with some orange rind,a big bready malt base holds up extremely well and lends its flavors.A great sipping brew not sure if a true doppelbock the label says a 10% alc ale but the characterisitcs are that of a fine dopplebock,highly recommended for sure.

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

Deep garnet in color, with almost no head whatsoever - which means (to me) only one thing: grab a few to age. The nose is all kinds of sweet, fruity malt with a slight but noticeable spiciness - maltier and less hoppy than the Doppelbock version.

The first two bottles of this were cracked open with my best bud down in North Carolina. The original intent was to save one for next year's get together. Uh huh. THAT didn't work. Not after we both tasted it. My buddy took a sip, his eyes bugged slightly, and he said "Whoa!!!" followed by that same dopey grin he gets when there's an open stretch of road and he's driving his SVT Cobra convertible. It's that kind of beer.

Vastly malty, with juicy dark fruit (sugared plums, dates, raisins, figs, and hints of apple/pear sneaking in), caramel-like decoction, and a somewhat sherrylike alcohol presence that lets you know that this is a serious bock. Decent underlying bitterness keeps it from being cloying, and a hop earthiness/spiciness that rounds it out. Frighteningly drinkable for its strength. Everything that Shiredave & Jackson said is spot-on.

After the first bottle, we popped open the second one and gave a sample to one of the construction guys who was working on my buddy's house. He sipped it, stared at the glass, and mumbled "that's the best damned beer I've ever had" before asking for directions to the brewery. He lives in North Carolina. Now, granted, he had just finished off a 16 oz. can of Red Dog, but still... Very impressive brew that should be spectacular after cellaring for a year or so.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Large bottle, pours dark mahogony, very light head, minimal tiny bubble film and light, fine lacing. Nose is mostly alcohol, rum, berries. This is bracingly strong brew, some alcohol quite evident. Notes of prunes, brandy,and rum soaked raisin bread.Quite warming. I'd imagine this brew is not for everybody , certaintly not the faint of heart. But if you enjoy a strong flavorful brew give this stuff a try. Lacks the full body, depth of flavor and complexity of the higher rated versions of this style

3.58/5  rDev -12%

Mostly mollasses taste. No a complicated bock, malty sweet though not overally sweet. Just brown and not all that much head. Average mouthfeel. Drinkable,dangerously so, but rather disapointing based on what others said.Candi, soft carbonation. Close to root beer.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

On-tap at Clark's Ale House.

I don't know about the "trippel," but this makes for a good doppelbock. Its dark red black with a syrupy aroma. The flavor can be a little thick for some, but I liked it. It's a nice mixture and balance of sweet and bitter with a fruity flavor similar to a mix of apple and cherry, along with a bit of licorice and dry cocoa. Not too hard to finish an entire pint, I'd recommend it.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

From a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass. Thanks go to HopDerek for bringing this to a recent tasting.

Pours a crystal clear deep amber with a thin creamy layer of head that stays frothy, leaving a rich cascade of lace back. The aroma is huge with baker's chocolate and toffee with some addtional roasty notes in the back as well. This smells just like a warm cookie or piece of cake. Very nice!

The taste is very sweet with notes of caramel, toffee, and chocolate really standing out. I'm getting a real molasses or maple syrup vibe off of this. Very low bitterness to this as well, the taste is all about the malts. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a very lower carbonation to it with an an overall syrupy feel in the mouth, which just accentuates that aforementioned maple syrup comparison. This doesn't feel overbearing though, with the viscous sweetness of this being more on the pleasant side and despite a 10%, I'm only getting some light warmth out of this.

Very nice. This was a big ole' sweet mess but it sure smelled and tasted damn tasty and never got to be cloying at all. Plus the hidden ABV on this should be illegal. A well done Triple Bock!

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Popped the cap and poured into two oversized brandy snifters to split with the wife. Beer really looks pretty in a brandy snifter, especially this one. A nice ring of head formed, it didn't stick around long and there was no lacing. Beautiful beer nonetheless. Whiffed this puppy and I was immediately hit with a nice combo of blackberries choclate and raisins. It really smelled amazing, very inviting. Taste was equally wonderful. It was warming and had hints of plum, chocolate, rasins and port. It also tasted like beer. All that other stuff and beer. Bitterness was perfectly blended in. It didn't taste too sweet, but the bitterness wasn't popping out at you, it just balanced nicely. The beer was smooth, not overly carbonated, rich and filling. It was everything you would want from a beer this size. It was very drinkable. The alcohol was completely disguised, rendering this beer quite dangerous. Pick this one up if you can find it, this will be a great one for the holidays.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a glowing burgundy with a light ecru head around the side of the glass.
Aroma is dark fruits like dates or plums and some caramel with a strong alcoholic estery note.
Flavors of rich caramel and a fruity base and some spicy alcoholic and yeasty notes.
Mouthfeel has an oily glide to it with a notable hot liquor hit that is covered with a dark fruity malt base, can tell some more mellowing in the bottle would do this one well but still a very pleasant brew.
Drinkability is high but will grow over time. Very well made beer that seems to me to represent style very well.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Well, I had mixed expectations of this one considering that I didnt like their dopplebock much at all, and this from a malty beer lover. However, I was blown away. This is the best bock (single, double, triple, whatever) that I've had in a LONG time. Pour was kind of suspect, producing very little head. Eventually a small one forms, but it doesnt really last.
As I've said before, I hate rating smell because I cant smell well and to make matters worse, my allergies kicked in today (though my nose is clear now). That said, I dont pick up much at all in the aroma.
Taste is what counts though and this puppy is liquid gold for a bock lover. Plenty sweet, pleasantly so, as one would expect from a good bock. However, what does it for me is the incredibly long, changing aftertaste. At least 5 seconds after the swallow the taste is still morphing. It starts out with what I can only describe as a 'typical bock sweetness', then a caramel taste, then it finally finishes with a hint of roastiness that puts it over the top for me. If you like bocks, you'll love this.
Mouthfeel is a tad on the thin side, but nothing too dramatic. One thing I will say, is that this is the most drinkable 10% beer I've had. I cant detect the 10% in the taste, or even in my cranium (doesnt hit as hard as I would expect). And this is going down faster then most equivalent strength beers. Simply awesome, really hits the spot. I have to revisit their dopple bock now as there's no way this could be this good but nearly the same beer, just a lower strength, would be that much worse. I must have gotten a bad bottle.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Glad I had the chance to pick this up when I went to the U.S. Had this one on a cold November day ( around -10, not that cold but still). Pours with a tanned head, lots of lacing is left behind as it comes to a calm. Has a clear dark ruby brown color.

The nose is full of juicy sweet toasted malts, dark fruits, a bit of molasses and something I cant put my nose on ( no pun intended) its almost like a earthy woody alcohol.

Tastes of fruits (plums raisins), very malty and a bit of maple. This was just what I needed.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Dark ruby brown hue. Off-white ring. Aroma proposes deep dark malts, salty and chocolatey, but mostly fruity (dates, grapes, banana, prune), making for a sweet and vinous or scotch-like flavour balance. It keeps on when touching the tongue, though underwhelmed by strong vegetal and mineral notes that fits only so well with the dark earthy malts. In the end, there’s plenty of bitterness, but it doesn’t leave on a good impression. Thin-medium bodied, small bubbles feel alive. I don’t know what to make of this one, it certainly smells better than it tastes to me, but I guess it’s ultimately too mineral.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Much thanks to dmeadows for grabbing this for me...
Aged at least 1.5 years.
Appears a dark mahogany with an ivory head that leaves scattered lacing and fades to a small collar.
Smell is of maple and molasses touched, decocted batch with rich succulant malt. Touches of caramel, raisins, and chocolate.
Taste is of the same aromas and I'm loving it. In my opinion, this one can play with some of the best Doppelbocks out there. Seems to be a resurgance of Americans coming through with this classic German style.
Mouthfeel seems pretty rich and chewy. Lots of maple and molasses sweetness clinging around the palate. Mild touch of a dark and sour fruit. Nice!

Pitch black body with a khaki head that sticks around. Nose is somewhat subdued, but still gives off enough aromas of sweet malts, strawberries, and chocolates to interest me. Big and rich on the palate, with alcohol evident throughout. The normal doppelbock flavors (sweet malts, figs, molasses, a touch of chocolate) are there, along with that odd strawberry note, which is most welcome. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, but with a bit of alcoholic burn in the background. Very filling, with much carbonation adding to that sensation. This diminishes the drinkability a bit, but considering the ABV here and the thick, rich style, this is a very drinkable, smooth beer that I wanted to keep sipping.

Sled Dog Trippel Bock from Wagner Valley Brewery