Gandy Dancer Honey Ale - Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Great American Beer Festival - Silver Medal 1999

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-01-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by mikesgroove:
4.43/5  rDev +22%

amber with a smooth capping of white foam on the top that went over quite nicely. reached around an inch in height before setting back down and leaving great streaking on the glass. aroma was one of the best i have ever come across. tons of grapefruit, so ripe and fresh with the perfect amount of sweetness to balance it, no lie i was in heaven here. sublime flavor. rich, sweet, mouth watering bitter and juicy hops dash across the tongue and just really open up as it starts to warm. just incredibly impressed here by the entire profile. light dryness and an effortless flavor

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a clear light brown body with a nice white head and a gentle carbonation.

S- The smell of green hops has a spicy note that becomes more pine as it warms.

T- The light toasted malt flavor has a hint of dryness to it that is balanced by a slight mead tang. That tang is blended with a rye spiciness with a faint earthy note that is very soft. The hops finish up with a big spice and strong grapefruit pucker that is very nice.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a slight slippery texture.

D- Most Honey Ales are overdone on the honey and don't have any supporting flavors but this is a great complex APA that has spicy rye and faint mead notes to really give it a good depth and balance the hops.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

The Gandy Dancer is a pleasant appearing beer that disappoints in the mouth. Somewhat hoppy for this style but not in a good way - its too harsh to be pleasant.

The sweetness from the honey is apparent but can't counteract the harshness of the hops. This is one of the better beers that I had at Flossmoor but I wasn't overly impressed with any of them.

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

Nice, tasty ale; though my palate isn't refined enough to detect honey taste. Nice amber color under a thin, lacy head. My pull had a surprisingly bitter/spicy hop bite countering the sweetness, I 'spect Todd is playing with his AAU levels lately. Still, a lip-smicking brew.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap at Flossmoor Station pre-DLD.

Pours a clear honeyish color with a one-finger white head.

Aroma is decent and honeyish, somewhat sweet, with some pale malt in there as well.

Flavor is all right. Sweet honey and pale malt, as well as maybe a touch of caramel. Not much hop presence detectable.

Medium-light on the body with average carbonation.

Overall this is somewhat enjoyable and drinkable, even though there's not much to it.

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

More and more from what is increasingly likely to be my favorite brewery.

A: Nice right pour from the growler, hazy golden peach with a thick blanket of smooth and tight white head. Decent legs of lace that stick around with what remains of the inch and a half head from the initial pour. Really like the haziness in this beer though, adds a bit of mystery to the whole affair if you ask me.

S: My first impression here is of a solidly constructed beer, when I read the description I didn't think I would like it as I've had bad experiences with honey beers but this one seems right on the money to me. Nice spiciness from the rye, a touch of honey a solidly sweet caramel maltiness and all backed by a mild earthy hoppiness makes for one balanced, and more importantly, mouthwatering aromas.

T/MF: Opening powers through with a dollop of honey placed right on the tip of the tongue then moves quickly into a sweet and cereal maltiness. Rye seems understated but shows some spicy legs midway though, fighting through the honey and hop flavors to make itself known. Mouthfeel seems to have been hurt by maybe a leak in the growler as it feels just a bit under carbonated and the slightest bit watery. Don't get me wrong this beer is still highly drinkable but I think it's lost a step from tap to home.

D: I'm not quite sure how this is categorized as an APA, seems like more of a hybrid style to me. Very floral, almost tea-like in some places with lots of interesting things going on with the interplay between the sweetness of the honey and the spiciness of the rye, not to mention the hop and malt bill that has to keep up. Certainly one of the more unique APAs out there in terms of how it follows style guidelines, but for me the jury is still out on how good this beer actually is.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Had on tap at Flossmoor

A- Came to me with a nice one finger off white head with some lacing that stuck to the sides pretty well before saying screw it and sliding down midway through my beer. Clear golden orange-yellow color.

S- At first this smelled super sweet. As I set it down I could really smell the honey sweetness to it. Upon further sniffing I picked up a little more. This by far is a sweet honey malty beer that only lets hints of floral hops come through every once in a while. Interested in taking a sip.

T- This kind of took me by suprise to say the least. Almost no alcohol taste anywhere in this beer! Big sweet honey and malt taste on the forefront with a light bitter middle that balances out the sweetness to it. A very light floral hop ending I thought that mixed with a certain sweetness that I found to be rather enjoyable.

M- This is a light to medium light mouthfeel. Good carbonation that lets the beer dance across the palate leaving a sweet malty presence on the tounge to remember it by. Nice sweet aftertaste made you want to drink up.

D- This is a very enjoyable beer that is easy on the palate and quite refreshing. I wouldn't drink more than 3 or 4 pints of this though. I would have to think the sweetness would calm down any sugar tooth you have.

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a moderatly light golden color with a thin white head. Not much lacing. Nose is honey bread plus some very faint hops. Taste is mildly sweet without much else. Feel is pretty light. Pretty tame, but I'm judging this more as a blonde than an APA.

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the brewpub on 7/22/12

Irresponsible tick #5

A) Super clear, deep amber color. An uneven layer of foam creeps up the side of the glass. Good, clumpy lace.

S) Very faint fruit aroma. Mild grains with a spot of honey sweetness. I'm not picking out the rye.

T) Tastes a bit better. Dry rye with overtones of sweet honey. Hints of hops. Maybe a tad more bitter on the finish than it should be.

M) Light body with evenly puffy carbonation.

D) For such a tame critter, this one's not all that bad.

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

Served in a nonic pint glass at the brewpub.

"Did ya see that dancer? A real gandy, there." Sorry. This brew pours a clear golden amber topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises greens, light leeks, dank oak, and barley husks. Not quite sure what's going on here, but this is a limp smell indeed. The taste holds notes of light toffee, greens, flowers, light orange peel, and a hint of what I can only really describe as mild roasted malts. The body is a light medium, with a light carbonation and a smooth feel. Overall, a nice little brew, but nothing all that outstanding. I wouldn't be aiming for this one first when I'm here next.

2.25/5  rDev -38%

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%

Sampled on: July 20, 2005

This is my favorite of the three beers I sampled. (One has to take advantage of the trip to the brewery, of course!)

Aroma: Very faint. Has a slight aroma.

Appearance: It had a rich golden color. It was clear, which was not what I expected, since it had the taste of rye - so I was expecting it to be more cloudy.

Taste: The honey flavor is very subtle. My first impressions were to taste the grain flavor. However, it has a very complex flavor encompassing both hops and almost a lemon-honey-like flavor. I thought that the taste was very refreshing! The website lists an Orange Blossom honey flavor - but I thought it tasted more of lemon..I guess I'll have to try another!

Smell: You can smell the hops quite well. I didn't detect any smell of fruits or honey like I anticipated.

Mouthfeel: It was smooth and sparkling beer. It had good carbination, which was not overpowering.

Drinkability: It is definitely worth the trip! I wish he had six packs that I could pick up closer to my home!

The brewer, Matt Van Wyk, has achieved an excellent product and I would return to Flossmoor Station in the future and this would be my top pick.

3.28/5  rDev -9.6%

On tap at Flossmoor. Pours an orange honey color with a light head. Smell is light hoppiness mostly. Taste is dry, fruity and grassy hops with malt taking a backseat in this one. Pretty good but a bit tame. Probably one of the better regular beers at Flossmoor.

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

Reviewed from notes.

Appearance is a golden yellow, hardly any carbonation. Smells like some sweet malt, honey and some rye. Taste is rye, a touch of sweet with a slight bitter finish. Interesting. Light mouthfeel, but a bit sticky. I could only drink one of these in a sitting, well maybe two but that's it.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

This was from the tap at the brewpub, poured into a pint glass. The color is a dark pale with a small head that isn't very well retained. The aroma is very malty with sweet honey accents and a faint trace of hops. The flavor has is very well balanced between the malt, honey and hops. The malt and honey are dominant, but hops are subtly noticeable so as not to distract from the honey. It's very smooth and enjoyable. It has a medium body with moderate carbonation.

I think this is a wonderful beer. It might be a little to alcoholic for drinking pint after pint. Nonetheless, this is worth having when stopping into Flossmoor. I should note that I do not agree with the style selection of the previous reviewers. This should be a specialty beer and I have reviewed it according to that style.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »