Imperial Eclipse Stout - Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-13-2002)
Reviews by silenius:
4.63/5  rDev +4.8%

This beer is exceptional. If I had 4 words to describe the beer, that would be it.

I was served this at the Map Room this past Friday and Lord it is great. I asked the bartender how much longer it would be around and he paused and said, 3 maybe 4 days. I think is my last taste of this fine, fine beer.

It is a dark, dark black with little head.

The smell is deeep dark chocolate and coffee. I really sense no alcoholic character about this beer at all.

I feel strange calling this a beer it is so smooth and mellow and chocolately. I'm sad to know it is my last taste of this beer.

The taste is excellence in a glass. Smooth dark chocolate, espresso, and a slight vinous character. I am saddened at its passing.

Mouthfeel is full and thick with a wonderful long aftertaste. How nice.

This beer beats Storm King hands down in my book. Only Bell's Expedition comes close to it. So smoooth.

I can have and have had it again and again. I am sad to see it will pass soon.

silenius, Mar 15, 2004
4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

The 2003 edition is Todd's last as brewmaster, and new guy Matt VanWyk gave it another month to mellow out, serving it Chirstmas time from a jockey box. It's freakin' incredible. Pours dark, dark brown, not black, with a tan head that hangs around, then leaves more of a coating than a lace. Even sipping on the head is a revelation!. The extra month of aging really mellowed it out, none of the alcohol harshness of other Imperials. Taste just swims with cognac, plums, toffee and vanilla. Texture is silky, but makes you think of an old stuffed leather chair. Just wonderful, I tells ya!

DrunkMcDermott, Jan 02, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +9.3%

1/2 gallon growler.

When Todd Ashman left Flossmoor Station for Titletown, he left a little something behind. About 200 gallons of his Imperial Eclipse Stout. Thank you Todd.
The Imperial Eclipse Stout began as Flossmoor's Dark Star Imperial Stout that has been aging in Jack Daniel's barrels since last January. I was fortunate enough to have a taste of the green version last year when it was very rough around the edges, man has it aged nicely.
It pours black as coal with garnet highlights noted around the edges. A thick tan head fades to nothing after a few minutes. Micro bubbles offer scant carbonation.
Deep malty aroma. Chocolate, caramel & espresso are foremost. Hops are present too, but they take a backseat here. The Jack has added a definite whiskey note too.
The flavors are in line with the nose. Lots of chocolate with a nice bitter bite compliments of Magnum & Amarillo hops (I cheated, I've seen the grain bill). Bold & fruity, plums with hints of vanilla.
Full bodied and slightly sticky with mild carbonation. I wish there was more of Todd's "kitchen sink" beer, but I'm thankful for what I have had.

cretemixer, Feb 11, 2004

Solid offering. Big malt flavor is balanced by sufficient hopping level. Huge, syrupt mouthfeel with bitter finish.

Andy, May 13, 2002
4.43/5  rDev +0.2%

What a suprise to find this gem on draft at the Falling Rock in Denver, Colorado.

Black.

Deep dark malts (chocolate and cocoa), deep dark fruits (blackberries and plums, whiskey and wood in the nose.

Dark fruits (blackberries, plums and grapes) consumed the entire palate, even more than the dark maltiness of chocolate, coffee beans and roasted malts. Quite dry as well with a distinct woodiness that led me to believe this was aged in an oak barrel, possibly a wine barrel or a whiskey barrel.

As it turns out this is aged in a whiskey barrel. This was a pleasure to drink for sure.

Crosling, Sep 20, 2004
3.85/5  rDev -12.9%

This brew pours a medium head of fine to large sized mostly lasting bubbles and an opaque black colored body. It had a medium strength coffee aroma and a strong coffee flavor that finished very smoothly. All-in-all a nice drinkable stout from the fine folks at Flossmoor Station a place that everyone should try and visit.

TheDM, Jul 26, 2003
Imperial Eclipse Stout from Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.