Wooden Hell - Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

English Barleywine |  9.50% ABV

GABF 2006 Strong Barrel Aged Bronze, Woodford Reserve Barrel Aged Barleywine

(Beer added by: mcallister on 04-29-2007)
rudylaw

Can't begin to thank Joe1510 enough for cracking this open at that insane tasting... one of two beers I made mental notes of that night.

Pours a brownish-mahogany tone with a tiny rim of head.

There's a lot going on in the nose... coconut, brown sugar, vanilla, toffee, caramel, macaroon... sweet goodness abound!

All of the same in the taste. It's like a boozy butterscotch sundae with a hint of spiciness on the back end. Rum raisin, some maple... Jesus Christ, it's got everything I like in it.

Low carbonation but this is as smooth a barleywine as I've ever had. There's just the slightest hint of booze here. It's mellowed out very well. Just ungodly.

I love Perfect Storm... but this beer is everything PS wants to be. It's a damn crime this will never be made again. Perfect to the last drop!

05-08-2010 14:10:57 | More by rudylaw

09-24-2013 03:50:29 | More by SirWalkAbout
BrewerB

11-17-2011 22:01:37 | More by BrewerB
younger35

Big thanks to Joe1510 for pulling out the big gun to start our pre Dark Lord Day '10 tasting. I'm not one to review beers at tastings but I've had this beer a handful of times but never was able to jog down accurate notes. Drank from a Goose Island taster.

Appearance- Pours a murky reddish brown with a delightfully perfect one finger creamy tan head. A decently small cap and collar remain along with enough spotty lacing on my girly ass cup to keep me happy.
Smell- Full of rich butterscotch and tons of caramelized sugars. The entire nose is filled with yeasty brown sugar and some dark booze soaked fruity hops. Wooden heaven is more like it as the wood is full of vanilla and toasted coconut. The bourbon is noticeable but nothing over the top. It seems that the oak has gotten more potent over the 1+ years since the release.
Taste- So rich and caremelly as every sip is filled with butterscotch, molasses and burnt sugars of every kind. A slight sweetness that isn't anywhere near cloying as a raisin and plum dark fruit character shows. The wood is bold and delicious as it's full of vanillin and lightly tannic amongst all the other big bold flavors. The booze is hidden very well as the finish is dripping in English Barleywine goodness.
Mouthfeel- On the heavier side of the spectrum with super light carbonation that aids in the silky smooth creaminess.
Drinkability- Hands down the best beer I've ever had and I'm not really a huge Barleywine fan. I enjoy them, and appreciate them but I can think of 10 styles off the top of my head that I'd much rather drink. Everything just comes together so well to make for an epic drinking experience in this one though. I've loved this beer since the first time I tried it at the Chicago Festival of Wood and Barrel Aged Beers '08 when (having never heard of it before) it was easily my own personal best in show. It's an absolute shame this will never be made again (or anytime soon). Thanks for sharing Joe!

05-11-2010 21:01:50 | More by younger35
imperialking

12-07-2011 18:37:52 | More by imperialking
Lothore

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

A- Pours a ruddy brown hue with a thin, light brown head that sticks around for quite a while.

S- Smell is intoxicating. Lots of dark fruit, raisin, oak, residual sweetness, caramel, brown sugar.

T- Taste is very oaky, dark fruits as in the nose rounded out by a huge brown sugar presence and a small hop bite. Hints of prickly well masked alcohol push through a little and round it out perfectly. Absolutely phenomenal.

M- Thick with medium carbonation.

D- This is VERY similar to another favorite of mine Central Waters BBBW. The deep fruit, oak and bourbon notes all come together so well.

01-09-2010 02:01:03 | More by Lothore
beertooth

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

I brought a bottle to a little tasting today. It was poured into various tasting glasses.

This beer pours a wonderful ruddy amber. There's a finger of darkish off white head that fades to a thin collar.

The nose is excellent. Tons of burnt sugars, dates, dried stone fruit, mild oxidization, mellow bourbon, vanilla, musty oak and coconut. It's quite fruity.

The taste follows the nose. Complex sugars, oak, bourbon, raisins, caramel, vanilla, some more oxidization. It's extremely well balanced and the alcohol is really well hidden.

The mouthfeel is rich, full, and creamy with a low level of carbonation.

Excellent, excellent beer. I'm really happy I had the will power to cellar this. It's aged gracefully and I'm glad I had some great BA's to share it with.

01-11-2010 03:50:38 | More by beertooth
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

Can you believe I got a chance to try this one? I seriously was amazed to see it sitting in my fridge last night, so much so that I just had to grab it and open it up. Selfish I know to indulge by myself but there are a few out there that I really just need to. Served at around 55 degrees and poured into a new CCB glass( thanks Greg), this one was consumed on 10/15/2009.

The pour was perfect, well everything about this one was perfect but we will get to the rest of that later. Rich dark brown in color with a neat little head of light tan that reached a height of around it that really just sat there, looking at me in the glass for what seemed like forever, never really fading much at all. Just sublime and evil looking, but that was before I tried. Now I have had a good many different Barley wines and Barrel Aged offerings in my day but this just takes the cake as far as those two categories. Superb. Rich notes of butterscotch and vanilla just oozing off of this, filling the room with their essence. Warming brings out just that much more, insane the amount of aroma here. Notes of wood, candied sugar and touches of caramel and toffee, unreal. It was like it was made for this moment, just for me. Each sip bringing more and more subtle flavors, things I did not think could even be brought to the table are dominating my palate. Then it hit that sweet spot at around room temperature, that rich toffee, butterscotch caramel, fusion of a flavor that I seek out in all but the greatest of barrel offerings, here it is in all its glory, and I melt into the glass. Long finish of sweet caramel and brown sugar flavors dripping from every sip, warm vanilla and woody notes swirling around, dancing on the tongue, every ounce is savored, relished, and appreciated.

Sipping for the next two hours becomes a lesson in pure relaxation and self gratification. I have become comfortably numb.

10-15-2009 14:34:44 | More by mikesgroove
raverjames

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

Finally got around to drinking this bad boy. This is one of those beers you pull out of the cellar once in a while, then get scared and stash it back in a dark place. Well, I finally got brave and decided it was time to taste this rare brew. I opened it to share at the 12th Richmond Ratebeer Gathering.
A: Dark brown with a light fluffy head. Not much haze.
S: Whoa bourbon! I get tobacco, chocolate, molasses, vanilla, and whiskey.
T: Simply amazing. There is plenty of caramel from the malt, but that is blended perfectly with the vanilla from the bourbon barrels. The closest comparison I could make is Firestone Walker 12, but that is not quite as balanced.
M: Smooth and sweet. No boozy presence. I love this beer and wish I could drink the whole bottle by myself. I had to share though. :)
D: Easy to drink, despite being rich and complex. I want more, but I doubt I will every get any.

This is my favorite barleywine and I am glad I got the chance to taste it. Special thanks to TATTORSO for generously sending this bottle to me when he probably had only 2 bottles to start with.

04-19-2010 15:31:56 | More by raverjames
mdfb79

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

From 03/19/11 notes. HUGE thanks to Huhzubendah for sharing this one; thanks Matthew, never thought I'd get to try this one! Served in a tulip.

a - Pours a somewhat clear medium-brown color with one inch of off white head and very light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of caramel malts, bourbon, oak, vanilla, and some sweet molasses or sugar. Light oxidation evident but doesn't take anything away from the smell. Absolutely amazing smell.

t - Tastes of vanilla, caramel malts, oak, bourbon, tofee, and syrup/molasses to sweeten the taste a little bit. Again, the taste is amazing and perfect for a barleywine.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. The body is super smooth and creamy, and no real hotness from the bourbno at all. Felt like I could have drank a whole bottle by myself, and would want to.

d - I was a little afraid that this one wouldn't live up to the hype, but it really did. I enjoy barleywines quite a bit and love MoaS, and this one was much better in my opinion; it's one of the best beers I've ever had. The smell and taste were such a great combination of caramel, vanilla, and bourbon, and the mouthfeel was perfect. Very glad I got to try this one.

03-21-2011 15:09:43 | More by mdfb79