Wooden Hell - Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

English Barleywine |  9.50% ABV

GABF 2006 Strong Barrel Aged Bronze, Woodford Reserve Barrel Aged Barleywine

(Beer added by: mcallister on 04-29-2007)

BdubleEdubleRUN, Mar 19, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Hmmm... Never thought this would happen, but it did.

Bottle poured to Bruery Tulip.

Many thanks go out to Jazz, Steve and James for making this happen.

A: Dark golden brown, like liquid caramel, little bit of bubble from the pour but no head at all.
S: Amazingly complex, vanilla, bourbon hints, oak and sweet caramel. The nose on this beer is amazing, the group sat around and smelled it from 5 or 6 different glasses, each was unique but still fantastic.
T: There was no oxidation, no off flavors at all, it was pure awesome in a glass. Sweet caramel, oak, vanilla and a hint of booze but in the best way possible.
M: This was basically a still beer with no detectable carbonation, but it was still fantastic. It was not overly thick or sticky, but it still coated the whole mouth.

Again many thanks to Jazz, I owe you one.

GuruDel, Mar 19, 2012

Pizzadude, Mar 05, 2012

mrbubbler, Jan 21, 2012

ygtbsm94, Jan 10, 2012

Bobbydigi, Jan 04, 2012

jammalamma, Dec 16, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -21.6%

Bottle Poured into a Tulip.

A: Pours a hazy light amber, with no head whatsoever.
S: Smells of caramel, light vanilla notes, some oak, and slights hints of bourbon
T: oxidized. oxidized. I can't really taste the bourbon anymore. I taste some caramel, a touch of spice, some vanilla, toffee, and definitely a lot of oak.It tasted really similar for a really old bigfoot. There was definitely a lingering aftertaste that stuck with me long after every sip.
M: flat, no carbonation whatsoever, though drinkability is quite smooth, not hot at all.
O: overall, I thought it was a good beer. Do I think there is good reason for the hype? hmmm. I definitely do believe that if I had tasted this beer a year or two ago, my review and thoughts would have been quite different. If you have a bottle of this, drink it, trade it, do what you will, but it definitely does not need any more time. In fact, I feel as though this beer is definitely on its downhill curve. But don't get me wrong, I am very thankful for getting a chance to try this whale, and I definitely think it's a brew you should 110% try if you have the chance. I just don't quite think it lived up to the hype it still holds.

trodersark, Dec 14, 2011

sideshowe, Dec 12, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

***TroDersak's review above is based on a hand bottling of Wooden Hell and was drank 4 hours after bottle was opened***

Wow like most people, I didn't think I would ever get to try this. Never say never I guess.

Thanks Alen!

Had this along with the BA Hi-Fi Rye and Brandy Barrel Aged Dark Lord.

Poured 7 ounces directly into a lost abbey tulip.

A: Rusty copper brown, a little cloudy with no head in sight. Had to give the glass a little twirl to create a quarter inch of froth. Body looked pretty typical to its style.

S: The smell was my favorite part, a perfect balance of oak, vanilla, dark fruit dipped in caramel and a little spice at the end.

T: Taste follows the nose with same flavors and coats all parts of the mouth with a very very long lasting finish. I think the lingering taste is what set this beer apart for me. I would take one sip, sit back and enjoy the flavor for 5 minutes to follow.

M: From previous taster of Wooden Hell, he said the beer had thinned out. By no means was it thin but a little more body would have been magical. Its definitely the age that has caused the thinness. Alcohol was not detectable what so ever.

O: I can see where the hype comes from this brew, but if you have one drink it asap as it is thinning out and i am certain age will do no benefit to this beer. The group consenus was that BA Hi-Fi Rye at this moment is a better beer.

vissai, Dec 12, 2011

VAbdoyan, Dec 11, 2011

imperialking, Dec 07, 2011

brandoman63, Nov 30, 2011

RayLove, Nov 28, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Well, I guess it's about time I reviewed this. Review taken from literally three lines of notes tapped out on my BlackBerry. Thanks to HoppyMeal for bringing a bottle of this to the pre-Hair of the Dog bottle share earlier this month. He committed to bringing this and a J&J Blauw and suddenly the bar was instantly set. An insane tasting and a great time.

A: Pours a hazy prune/tan with a small beige head that quickly recedes to a glass ring. Moderate legs show the heft of the body. 4/5

S: Brewbro000 said something along the lines of "I'm going to give myself a nose bleed because I'm sniffing this so hard". That about sums it up for me. Warm vanilla, rich toffee, and mellow bourbon. 5/5

T: Sweet caramel, creamy fruits, and smooth bourbon. The richness was only barely delved into from my small pour, but it had great depth. 4.5/5

M: Moderate body with a silky texture. No alcohol burn. 4.5/5

O: This was a superbly aged bottle. Its equal I've never experienced. I'll likely never get the chance to drink this again but at least now I see what all the fuss is about. Worth whatever it takes to trade for a bottle. 4.5/5

hopsbreath, Nov 22, 2011

genefruit, Nov 14, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -8.8%

Thank you very much Dan!
couple oz pour

A. Pours brown rust color almost a bronze. no head on my pour

S. Spicy sweet smell almost like a cookie of some sort, bourbon, vanilla, and oak.

T. pretty complex stuff, Subtle sweetness with characteristics of bourbon, spice, oak, a touch of vanilla. Low carbonation. Decent body but i feel its too thin.. I wonder if this is starting to move past its prime.

O. Overall the beer was excellent...no doubt
live up to the hype? Gonna have to say no. Again maybe this beer is starting the down hill trip. Dare I say I prefer Mother of All Storms...I dare. Thanks again for this rare treat..

Kaydogg, Oct 31, 2011