Wooden Hell - Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

Beer added by: mcallister on 04-29-2007

GABF 2006 Strong Barrel Aged Bronze, Woodford Reserve Barrel Aged Barleywine
Ratings: 150 | Reviews: 89
4.76/5  rDev +5.3%

Review # 1000, this is about as fitting as it gets.

Thanks to Russ for sharing this with us at our Chicago tasting...The pour is not much to look at, a slightly watery brown without much carbonation at all...The aroma and taste are both awesome and dominated by a super smooth and not at all coy or irritataing vanilla. I just keep coming back to smooth, so easy velvety and easy to drink and just the right amount of vanilla with a backbone of oak and a touch of hopoy wood on the back end. I literally just kept sniffing this for like 15 minutes because the aroma was that good...The feel is super nice, very easy to drink, not alcohol at all...The vanilla makes it a tad of a sipper but I really had to contain myself to not drink this in one gulp.

The best barleywine around, awesome all around. Try it if you can.

4.79/5  rDev +6%

Poured into my Bruery tulip, the beer is a deep, translucent, ruby red when held to the light, with a small off white head. The head recedes quickly and leaves a little lacing clinging to the side of my glass.

The aroma is very rich. There's a lot of sweet caramel and toffee character to the malt. The bourbon is at a very nice level. It's not overwhelming but it's definitely there. Dark fruits are also evident, earthy hops, and some alcohol. The flavor is also very rich. Sweet dark fruits mesh with delicious roasted toffee. Caramelized and bourbony, this beer is a sipper. The alcohol is a little strong right now. It's not offensive, just a bit hot. The earthy hops impart a low level of bitterness that doesn't quite balance the richness of Wooden Hell, but that's not a bad thing. The flavor is quite enjoyable. The finish is long and sweet with a hint of bitterness. The alcohol is warming and most noticeable here. The bourbon lingers at the back of my tongue for quite a while.

Wooden Hell is medium to full bodied with a low level of carbonation. The mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy.

This is the second beer I've tried from Flossmoor Station (Collaborative Evil was the first) and I've found both to be quite enjoyable. Overall, this is a great beer that is just a little on the hot side.

Second bottle:

Opened by Seaoflament on 11/24/2009 and poured into a snifter. Thanks Carlos. The booze has mellowed a bit and the nose is outstanding. Layers upon layers of caramel and toffee with currant, prune, and dates. The flavor has mellowed but I can't say it's improved. It was great and it still is great. It's woody booze soaked caramel dark fruits. I think the booze is at a nice level right now and I wouldn't want it to mellow any more. The mouthfeel seemed a little thin on this bottle. Changes:

Smell +.5
Mouthfeel -.5
Drinkability +.5

Third Bottle:

Bottle opened on 7/17/2010 by ipa247, thanks Jeff! This was the best bottle yet, an all around pleasure to drink. Bourbon Barrel Barleywines don't get much better than this. Definitely among the best I've had. This continues to improve and it still has a nice level of booze heat that I hope it never loses.

Taste +.5
Mouthfeel +.5

Fourth Bottle:

Opened by Jason on 6/24/2011. Thanks! Quite a disappointing bottle. Lots of oxidation with cardboard overwhelming the erstwhile excellent barrel notes. A shell. It had a great run. No change to my score of the bottle enjoyed on 7/17/2010. This is just for informational purposes.

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%

I've had this one a number of times, but thanks to hoppymeal, joe1510, FoBAB, and myself for various pours over the past year and a half. Most recently served in a tasting snifter at Derek's place during the "So ridiculous I don't have a name for it" tasting.

A - Pours with half-finger of late-rising tan foam that crackles away quickly and leaves behind no lace. The body is an attractive dark ruby-brown color.

S - Bourbon, spicy wood, caramel, vanilla, burnt sugars, dark fruits. It's got all the things you want in a barrel-aged barleywine, working in perfect balance and harmony. The smell isn't harsh or solvent-filled, but there's still a surprising initial wallop considering the 15 months of age and mere 9.5% ABV.

T - The taste is very similar to Abacus, another of my favorite brews of this style. However, Abacus is 2.5% stronger and somehow hides the booze a tiny bit better. I wish I could give this a 4.75 somehow - I'll try to give it the benefit of the doubt elsewhere.

M - The body is a bit thinner than I like, but it's not offensive, considering this is at the low end of the ABV spectrum for this style. Lower carbonation, not much heat left here at all, and the finish is first tannic, then lightly sticky.

D - This is a pretty easy one to quaff. The lower ABV and wonderful nose make quite delightful, and a beer that I'd be happy to tackle on my own (or perhaps with one lucky friend). I'm wondering when we'll see the Oakshire version, because this was too good not to make again.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Big thanks to ThomasHardy for sharing this one with me! This has been a top want for some time! Review from notes.

Poured into Duck Rabbit snifter.

Pour a fizzy tan head. Color is a hazed caramel brown.

Aroma: Sweet caramel and toffee. Warm bourbon flavors with oak. A decent amount of vanilla with sweet dried fruit flavors. Smelling amazing and I am ready to give it a try!

Taste: The taste starts out like the aroma with sweet caramel and toffee flavors. Very malty. The bourbon is well done here, very warming. The fruits are dark,dry, and work really great. I get licorice, raisins, plums, and dried cherries. All blended well with oak flavors.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, and warming. Medium to full bodied with a nice amount of carbonation for the style. Ends warm, malty, and dry.

Overall, one of the best BA BW I have had. This one lived up to the hype for me. Very drinkable and left me wanting more. All of the flavors work well with each other and the bal aging didn't completely dominate the flavors which is great to see.

Thanks Brady for sharing this one! It was a real treat!

Big thanks to Joe1510 for pulling out the big gun to start our pre Dark Lord Day '10 tasting. I'm not one to review beers at tastings but I've had this beer a handful of times but never was able to jog down accurate notes. Drank from a Goose Island taster.

Appearance- Pours a murky reddish brown with a delightfully perfect one finger creamy tan head. A decently small cap and collar remain along with enough spotty lacing on my girly ass cup to keep me happy.
Smell- Full of rich butterscotch and tons of caramelized sugars. The entire nose is filled with yeasty brown sugar and some dark booze soaked fruity hops. Wooden heaven is more like it as the wood is full of vanilla and toasted coconut. The bourbon is noticeable but nothing over the top. It seems that the oak has gotten more potent over the 1+ years since the release.
Taste- So rich and caremelly as every sip is filled with butterscotch, molasses and burnt sugars of every kind. A slight sweetness that isn't anywhere near cloying as a raisin and plum dark fruit character shows. The wood is bold and delicious as it's full of vanillin and lightly tannic amongst all the other big bold flavors. The booze is hidden very well as the finish is dripping in English Barleywine goodness.
Mouthfeel- On the heavier side of the spectrum with super light carbonation that aids in the silky smooth creaminess.
Drinkability- Hands down the best beer I've ever had and I'm not really a huge Barleywine fan. I enjoy them, and appreciate them but I can think of 10 styles off the top of my head that I'd much rather drink. Everything just comes together so well to make for an epic drinking experience in this one though. I've loved this beer since the first time I tried it at the Chicago Festival of Wood and Barrel Aged Beers '08 when (having never heard of it before) it was easily my own personal best in show. It's an absolute shame this will never be made again (or anytime soon). Thanks for sharing Joe!

Can't begin to thank Joe1510 enough for cracking this open at that insane tasting... one of two beers I made mental notes of that night.

Pours a brownish-mahogany tone with a tiny rim of head.

There's a lot going on in the nose... coconut, brown sugar, vanilla, toffee, caramel, macaroon... sweet goodness abound!

All of the same in the taste. It's like a boozy butterscotch sundae with a hint of spiciness on the back end. Rum raisin, some maple... Jesus Christ, it's got everything I like in it.

Low carbonation but this is as smooth a barleywine as I've ever had. There's just the slightest hint of booze here. It's mellowed out very well. Just ungodly.

I love Perfect Storm... but this beer is everything PS wants to be. It's a damn crime this will never be made again. Perfect to the last drop!

4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

Finally got around to drinking this bad boy. This is one of those beers you pull out of the cellar once in a while, then get scared and stash it back in a dark place. Well, I finally got brave and decided it was time to taste this rare brew. I opened it to share at the 12th Richmond Ratebeer Gathering.
A: Dark brown with a light fluffy head. Not much haze.
S: Whoa bourbon! I get tobacco, chocolate, molasses, vanilla, and whiskey.
T: Simply amazing. There is plenty of caramel from the malt, but that is blended perfectly with the vanilla from the bourbon barrels. The closest comparison I could make is Firestone Walker 12, but that is not quite as balanced.
M: Smooth and sweet. No boozy presence. I love this beer and wish I could drink the whole bottle by myself. I had to share though. :)
D: Easy to drink, despite being rich and complex. I want more, but I doubt I will every get any.

This is my favorite barleywine and I am glad I got the chance to taste it. Special thanks to TATTORSO for generously sending this bottle to me when he probably had only 2 bottles to start with.

4.67/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a hazy amber color with a full finger foamy off tan head that fades slowly, leaving stringy patterns of lacing. The smell is really fine...rich and aggressive, vanilla bourbon caramel butterscotch. Full flavored, the taste matches up to the nose pretty well. There's a a light hop to it also. Nicely carbonated, the texture is medium bodied, smooth and creamy yet the experience cleans up more quickly than expected. The vanilla butterscotch warms to a saltiness. One hell of a drinker...enjoyed this one with the boys! Really special!!.

4.37/5  rDev -3.3%

Shared by the one and only fogdog. That guy can realllly throw down. Know that!

A: Pours a goldenish color of darker brown with a small foamy tan head. Litte retention or lace.

S: Aromas is a cornucopia of malt. Wonderful caramel, brown sugar, toffee, and rich molasses. Lighter notes of dark fruit, and booze.

T: Caramel and molasses sweetness with a big blast of fig and raisin. Notes of sweet vanilla, coconut, and a hint of booze.

M: Rather full in body, smooth, and tasty. Had it up against M and M won. That being said this is a tasty Barleywine that if you have the firepower is worth going after.

4.37/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to egajdzis for sharing this bottle...
Appears a dense, murky toned chestnut with a small, light tan head that slowly fades out. Spotty bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of wood, caramel, raisins, sourdough, toffee, cocoa, and cake.
Taste is sweet with bourbon in the flavor with some toffee, and rich butterscotch pulling through.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, sweet, oaky, sugary, and warming.

4.67/5  rDev +3.3%

Huge thanks to Justin for sharing this the other day...

Wooden Hell pours a murky, woody mahogany tone with a slim dollop of tan foam. Heavenly whiff of toffee, brown sugar, with some toasty coconut & vanilla notes from the barrel aging.

Super rich and malty, tons of caramel/toffee/butterscotch, with traces of sticky maple syrup on the lips. Some tobacco/leather spice from the bourbon barrel. Elements of sweet dried fruit, mostly raisin. Fairly low carbonation. Some spice/heat from the abv, but not what i'd consider hot. Mellow and rich. A sweet, fruity, syrupy confection.

Sadly i've traded all mine away, and it won't be made again... thanks again to señor beertooth for the sample. Can't believe there was a time when I was drinking this in plastic cups on the patio at Flossmoor. Hats off to Mr. Van Wyk.

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I can't thank Josh enough for the opportunity to try this rarity, poured into a snifter.

Pours a deep, slightly hazy amber brown with a small, creamy beige head that recedes quickly to a collar and swirl in the middle.

The aroma is wonderful and so complex. It's got toffee, sweet caramel malts and lots of bourbon soaked dark fruits. The barrel character is certainly evident with oak and vanilla, though it's not dominant.

The taste is just as good. The caramel malt backbone is hefty with the sweetness coming from both the vanilla of the bourbon and the dark fruits. There's more of a chocolate presence than I was expecting as well. The finish is smooth with a hefty, but not overpowering, bourbon presence.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly slick due to the bourbon character and has a slightly dry, woody finish. The carbonation is soft but definitely noticeable.

This is an excellent barleywine that uses the barrels to maximize the complexity and not to overpower the underlying beer. Very sweet and boozy but still quite drinkable.

4.94/5  rDev +9.3%

I brought a bottle to a little tasting today. It was poured into various tasting glasses.

This beer pours a wonderful ruddy amber. There's a finger of darkish off white head that fades to a thin collar.

The nose is excellent. Tons of burnt sugars, dates, dried stone fruit, mild oxidization, mellow bourbon, vanilla, musty oak and coconut. It's quite fruity.

The taste follows the nose. Complex sugars, oak, bourbon, raisins, caramel, vanilla, some more oxidization. It's extremely well balanced and the alcohol is really well hidden.

The mouthfeel is rich, full, and creamy with a low level of carbonation.

Excellent, excellent beer. I'm really happy I had the will power to cellar this. It's aged gracefully and I'm glad I had some great BA's to share it with.

4.97/5  rDev +10%

A- Pours a ruddy brown hue with a thin, light brown head that sticks around for quite a while.

S- Smell is intoxicating. Lots of dark fruit, raisin, oak, residual sweetness, caramel, brown sugar.

T- Taste is very oaky, dark fruits as in the nose rounded out by a huge brown sugar presence and a small hop bite. Hints of prickly well masked alcohol push through a little and round it out perfectly. Absolutely phenomenal.

M- Thick with medium carbonation.

D- This is VERY similar to another favorite of mine Central Waters BBBW. The deep fruit, oak and bourbon notes all come together so well.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks go out to James for picking this up for me all that time ago... Poured into a Two Brothers sniffer @ cellar temperature, while listing to Beastie Boys.

A- Clear, rich amber body with a good finger of head with little retention or lacing. Attractive, very attractive.

S- Butterscotch, vanilla & pepper lent from the bourbon barrels play off the rich caramel malt aroma excellently. Mild esters and alcohol really allow the aroma to feel focused. Might not be the most complex aroma, but man is it savoury!

T- Alcohol is much more assertive in the mouth than in the nose. Rich caramel, big spice, butterscotch, mild tropical fruits and oak tannins combine with the warming alcohol to present a excellent start to the beer. The flavour profile seems to clean up in the midpalate, with caramel and butterscotch really shining. The finish is spicy, sweet, long, and fantastic. Again, big and fun,

M- Full bodied and viscous, but not too much so, with excellent carbonation levels. Really wouldn't change anything here.

D- This might not be the most complex barleywine of all time, but excellent drinkability, fantastic barrel aging and a fun American brew.

4.7/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A big thanks goes out to imperialking for trading me this great beer. I took this one to La Bella on 11/24.

I have been looking forward to trying this beer for a while now. The beer pours a reddish brown with a quarter inch of light kaki colored foam.

The aroma is intoxicating with a burst of booze/bourbon soaked raisins, dates, lots of toast, caramel, toffee, hints of cherries, strawberries, chocolate, and coco. Also has a nicely intense multi-grain malt profile and a combination of various dark fruits and sweet caramel maltiness.

Wow, lots of chocolate, multi-grain bread, toast, toffee, caramel, vanilla, oak, and a bit of hop earthiness in the finish. Raisins, fleshy and sweet, dates, brown sugar, nutty with some almonds in the finish. Nice low level of oxidation (almonds) that brings a layer of complexity to the beer. The bourbon seems to be mellowing out and is currently blending well with the beer, wouldn't want to have it any lower and think it's at a great moment in time. Creamy and rich mouthfeel, no hint of alcohol with a low carbonation.

I've had some pretty amazing barleywines (Midnight Sun-M; both vintages of Pelican- Perfect Storm; both Heaven Hill and Old Fitzgerald BA Old Dipsea; BA Old Numbskull, etc..) and this beer certainly holds it's own against any of those. Easily a top 5 BA Barleywine for me. Would love to have this one again, and it's a shame it wont be made again.

4.42/5  rDev -2.2%

I nearly took this off of my "wants" list because I assumed I wouldn't have the firepower to trade for it. A million thanks to Steve for letting me have the opportunity!

Pours a cola brown with tons of bubbles shooting to the top, and a one finger head that leaves a collar parked in its wake.

Smell is lusciously thick caramel malt, dark fruits, hints of oak, citrus hops, and a tad bit of alcohol volatility.

Although the smell is nice, it doesn't quite set the bar too high so that the taste can't live up to it. My first sip mesmerizes my lips with a deep caramel malt profile, lots of citrus and earthy hops in the background. Surprisingly, there aren't a ton of barrel notes coming through. I think the hops underneath overpower some of the subtleties that would normally come with barrel aging. I do pick up hints of oak and vanilla, but they really need to be hunted for. In fact, I could have easily been fooled into believing this was just a regular American Barleywine. If that seems like I am slighting this beer in any way, understand that it is not my intention...because there really aren't any flaws here at all.

Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium with good carbonation levels. Although 9.5% isn't really too crazy of an ABV for a barrel aged barleywine, this still is a sipper strictly due to the thick maltiness. And a great sipper it is. I can't say that this lives up to style standard set by The Perfect Storm, but it comes close to matching my other favorite in the style (Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine).

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

22 provided by Ditmier at the Friday the 13th tasting.. Eric is the man.. there is no other way to describe it... Mondo huge appreciation for providing such a super rare beer. Poured into my Delirium goblet.

Crystal clear lite amber brew... great off white head and tons of lace.

Aroma is vanilla with lite caramel and some bourbon cherry essence.. woody and pretty wonderful.

Flavor has more tannic elements than I was expecting.. but very rich.. again.. lighter than expected caramel, but the maltiness is pretty heavy and when combined with the barrel aging, makes for a great BW.. vanilla and bourbon elements are just about perfect... there is a drying oaky tannin essence that really is the tie that binds this one together.. the body is on the thicker side for a BW.. but the carbonation is nearly perfect making me want more.

Eric.... I owe you for this one... I don't know how yet, but I will get you back... You're a good BA.

4/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5

4.2/5  rDev -7.1%

Thanks Homebrepalo for the great BT!!

A - Almost blood orange, lighter than expected, decent lacing.

S - Bright like homemade caramel with kick from bourbon and oak adding desired complexity.

T - Also brighter than expected from year-old bottle. Fresh figs and touch of prune, buoyed by vanilla from the oak. Surprisingly hot for 9.5% ABV.

M - What you'd expect from a barleywine that's been aged in a spent barrel: smooooth, low carb, almost hate to swallow it down.

D - As someone who isn't all about the barleywine and never drinks a whole pint or bottle by himself, this one I'd want if charged with the task of downing it solo. Luckily had the pleasure of sharing with deserving company.

4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

Can you believe I got a chance to try this one? I seriously was amazed to see it sitting in my fridge last night, so much so that I just had to grab it and open it up. Selfish I know to indulge by myself but there are a few out there that I really just need to. Served at around 55 degrees and poured into a new CCB glass( thanks Greg), this one was consumed on 10/15/2009.

The pour was perfect, well everything about this one was perfect but we will get to the rest of that later. Rich dark brown in color with a neat little head of light tan that reached a height of around it that really just sat there, looking at me in the glass for what seemed like forever, never really fading much at all. Just sublime and evil looking, but that was before I tried. Now I have had a good many different Barley wines and Barrel Aged offerings in my day but this just takes the cake as far as those two categories. Superb. Rich notes of butterscotch and vanilla just oozing off of this, filling the room with their essence. Warming brings out just that much more, insane the amount of aroma here. Notes of wood, candied sugar and touches of caramel and toffee, unreal. It was like it was made for this moment, just for me. Each sip bringing more and more subtle flavors, things I did not think could even be brought to the table are dominating my palate. Then it hit that sweet spot at around room temperature, that rich toffee, butterscotch caramel, fusion of a flavor that I seek out in all but the greatest of barrel offerings, here it is in all its glory, and I melt into the glass. Long finish of sweet caramel and brown sugar flavors dripping from every sip, warm vanilla and woody notes swirling around, dancing on the tongue, every ounce is savored, relished, and appreciated.

Sipping for the next two hours becomes a lesson in pure relaxation and self gratification. I have become comfortably numb.

4.3/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to fogdog for sharing this rare treat. Pours garnet with brown edges and off white head. The aroma brings up notes of oak, vanilla, bourbon, some caramel and an inviting thin layer of dark fruitiness. The taste is smooth even rich goodness with a very nice mix of vanilla, caramel and oak to start. It then picks up some bourbon and booze heat by midway. It gets a bit boozy and more bourbony and a tad chemical boozy into the finish. The taste started strong and amazing but finished a bit rough. Some age should smooth that out but I'm sure there will be almost none of this around by that time.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%

Bomber very generously shared by bring - thanks, Barry! Copied again from notes after earlier rating was deleted.

A - Pours a dark reddish brown color with some tan foam and decent lacing.

S - Awesome aroma of bourbon, oak, vanilla, caramel, and brown sugar. This already seems like it's going to live up to the hype.

T - Similar to the aroma, with a great sweet caramel/toffee malt background, brown sugar, bourbon, oak, vanilla, and some dark fruits. There really is a lot going on in this beer.

M - Amazing palate - smooth creamy, and a little syrupy with medium-full body.

D - Way too high. This just keeps you wanting more. Overall this is a phenomenal beer.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

22oz bottle at a recent tasting, can't remember who shared this, but it was pretty good.

Hazy brown pour, it sits in the glass nearly opaque, topped with a thin off-white head. The nose is full of caramel and dates, sherry-like oxidation, vanilla, bourbon and wood. This has oxidized in a great way. I get similar flavors on the palate; rich caramel and fruity sweetness balanced by a light boozy kick, subtle oxidation, tobacco and tannins. The finish is borderline dry, almost vinous. I'd love to sit down with a bottle of this to myself; my small glass was entirely too easy to drink.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz copper-wax dipped bomber into tulip.
Thanks to a friend who brought this up to FFF's to split.

A - Pours dark red/copper/brown with a small off-white head. Mirky, but not overly so. No real lacing because of the small amount of head, but this doesn't bother me at all.

S - Yum! Bourbon, dark fruits, malt, a sweet alcohol nose in there as well.

T - Outstanding! This beer has aged well over the 9 months since purchase. The bourbon and sweetness of the dark fruits/malt combine into an epic brew. It's not hot at all, just perfect for my tastes.

M - Medium bodied, very smooth, nice oily finish.

D - I wish I had another bottle to try again sometime but alas, this was my only chance to sample this one unless I get lucky in the future. An excellent BA Barleywine!

4.44/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Served up a hazed humble shade of brown with, sadly, no real head formation.

Smell: Lush, heavy aroma of all things sweet one would find in a kitchen cupboard with notes of things one would find in the liquor cabinet.

Taste: Rich, sweet caramel, Grade 'B' maple syrup, and melted brown sugar initially. Dried dark fruitiness. The coconut is far more prominent in the taste, presenting a small, meager sip of Malibu. There's a spicy, earthy bitterness, but it's no match for the full-on sweetness. Transient wooden tastes. More brown sugar and now some split vanilla beans. While there is a fair amount of alcohol heat, it's well contained beneath the heavy layers of sweet flavors. Long, semi-sweet finish with more of that satisfying alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation. Smooth, luscious mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Very sweet, very dessert-like, and very enjoyable. It's nice to just sit with this one quietly, soaking in all the goodness.

Wooden Hell from Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery