Pullman Nut Brown - Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

English Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: younger35 on 04-17-2008

A traditional english brown ale, very nutty aroma towards hazel and Brazil nuts, deep brown in color and very well rounded body

Contrary to most BAs, who shy away from giving Perfect Scores to the beers they review here, this offering from Flossmoor Station is Perfection in a bottle. I have shied away from Flossmoor Station only because 22 ounce bombers are harder to put away (drink solo) than a 12 ounce brew. But I was in good company on Easter Weekend in Chicagoland -- brother in law and nephew, both former Macro drinkers, now Craft Beer enthusiasts, who I gladly converted. So when my brother in law pulled this beauty from his fridge to present to me as a gift, I said let's split it three ways and wow, what a magical experience that was. We sipped, smelled, let sit, then smelled, sipped and did that over and over again. The taste of dark, unsweetened coffee, like espresso, hit our palates, a silky smoothie, pure decadence are just some words to describe the one-hour of beer bliss. I can see why my nephew "dreams" about this beer. It is heavenly. I have a bottle in my beer fridge but will wait for the perfect occasion to enjoy.

4.79/5  rDev +20.1%

22 oz bomber poured into a seidel

Appearance is a very dark brown, nearly black. A vigorous pour yielded a one-and-a-half finger frothy tan head that gradually fades and leaves spotty lacing.

One whiff of this stuff had my mouth watering. A smorgasbord of roasted malts, toasted grains, chocolate, coffee, licorice, and molasses.

Taste is a well-structured delight that starts with roasted malts, then transitions to a smooth interlude of nutty sweet notes of coffee and chocolate before finishing with a bitter sting of molasses that lingers on your tongue for a while.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with just the right level of carbonation. This makes it a thoroughly drinkable and enjoyable brew and one that I shall return to time and time again.

4.68/5  rDev +17.3%

Freshly tapped at my house, poured into a standard pint glass. The brew fills the glass a very dark brown color with a finger of head that settles to a small head over top with a mild carbonation in there. This brew is nice and dark, but light comes through at the top around the lip. The aroma is roast with a solid brown sugar, toasted nut and chocolate. The smells are moderate in force, but well blended and nice for the style. The flavor hits first with a solid roast that moves to a nice nutty quality, quickly transitioning to milk chocolate and finishing with a moderate pine hop that gives a light impression of coffee and a mild to moderate bite on the finish. This one hits all the notes I want in a brown. It has a robust flavor with a mild nose and awesome drinkability. Mouthfeel is moderate with a nice mild carbonation of fine bubbles. It has a nice velvety smoothness that really works well. Drinkability on this one is outstanding. Though the flavors are big, it is easily a session beer and will not be on my kegerator very long. I really like the lingering hop flavor on the finish. This one is damn good!

4.68/5  rDev +17.3%

closer to black than brown in color,complex aroma let's you know this is a big beer,molasses & oats come through on the taste,surprisingly smooth mouthfeel,2 or 3 pints is the max

4.62/5  rDev +15.8%

Appearance - deep, dark ruby pour, a thin mocha cover.

Aroma - dark chocolate, deep roasted grains.

Taste - good roasted malty and sweet beginning, notes of coffee alongside. Dark chocolate flavors on the swallow and holding for some length. A delicious, roasty finish, wonderfully warming despite an average abv.

Mouthfeel - medium body, uncommonly smooth (more like a Baltic porter), average carbonation.

Drinkability - fantastic session beer alone or with a hearty meal.

4.61/5  rDev +15.5%

Extra in a trade, and what a good one it was!!

Poured from bomber into Perfect Pint glass. Dark brown with a thin one finger head that quickly dissipates. Gorgeous looking beer..

As great as it looks, I only got a faint hint of aroma... mostly chocolate malt. This is not a beer of powerful aroma.

Taste is amazing. There is a roasted malt flavor up front that ends in a beautiful coffee aftertaste... there seems to be something oatmeal there too, reminds me a little bit of an oatmeal porter. I took one taste of this and immediately noted that it is one of the best brown ales I've had.

The look, taste and feel of this beer are all exceptional. It is extremely complex but consistent. It is one of the thicker brown ales I've had, which made it perfect to me. The carbonation and creamy texture of this just felt right.

I could drink one of these every night... especially in the winter!
Great beer.... Hope to get my hands on some more sometime.

4.55/5  rDev +14%

Murky dark chocolate brown with a thin burnt-orange head and very respectable lacing. Natural hazelnut and roasted almond scents mingle with heady cocoa and soft floral hop aromas -- very enticing. Deep chocolate flavors spiked with roasted hazelnuts and a lovely soft yet bitter dark coffee taste. Floral and ever-so-slightly spicy hop notes appear here and there. More cocoa flavors as it warms, with an almost cinnamon-like character peeking through, very reminiscent of nut-infused, lightly sweetened Mexican hot chocolate. It's rather close to a Dark Mild Ale in my estimation, but its nutty character definitely marks it as a Brown. Medium-light body with a soft chewiness to the mouthfeel. Super drinkable. If ever in the Chicago "Southland" area, it is certainly worth your while to seek out Flossmoor Station to pick up a growler of this stuff. It's always on tap, and it's a ridiculously drinkable session brown. In fact, I'd say it defines the last four words of that sentence.

4.53/5  rDev +13.5%

appearance: way darker than expected from a brown ale, cream-colored head.
smell: very sweet, lots of molasses and toasty malt
taste: sweet, molasses, toast...pleasant bitterness to balance out the sweetness.
mouthfeel: a little thin for what I expected but good
overall: I want to put vanilla ice cream in it and make it into a float. Really wonderful as a dessert, feels like a good fall or winter beer.

4.52/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance -- Pours REALLY dark; aside from some auburn hues around the edge of the glass, light does not pass through. Minimal tan head that quickly dissipates.

Smell -- Lots of molasses, caramel, roasted malt.

Taste -- Caramel, coffee, and molasses are dominant, with some char and hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel -- Thick, slick, and smooth with mild carbonation.

Drinkability -- Way more depth of flavor than you are likely to find in any other brown ale with 6% abv. I have a hard time believing I'm going to find a brown ale I'll like more than this. Outstanding!

4.52/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours very nice, very dark for a brown but still, you know, brown. Big head, nice lacing.

Smells nice--the molasses is firm and syrupy, against toffee, butter, chocolate, and coffee.

Tastes as it smells, smooth and sweet. Big bittersweet dark chocolate starts things off, switching to thick molasses syrup, bread, cocoa muffins, and a smooth finish of roasted grain and dry hops. Very nice. Aside from Bender, this is probably the best tasting brown that I've ever had.

Damn, is all I can say. Not usually much of a fan of the style, but this is just excellent.

4.51/5  rDev +13%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(bottle purchased right from Flossmoor Station - poured into a British pint)

A: just about no head on the pour - really strange... super dark brown with garnet edges... no lace... nice color - on point - about all that can be lauded

S: dark milk chocolate with roasted almonds... no hop notes... woody, outdoorsy aromas... fair amount of espresso powder on the back end... potent and enchanting shit

T: malty as hell, moderate roasty toast and bitterness... in a nutshell, moderately bitter dark chocolate covering hazelnuts... what's great and interesting here is how there's a subtle caramel sweetness, doing a decent job poking out through the cracks in the nutshell top, eventually supplanting the roast in the aftertaste, flaring hard but never rounding out and sticking like syrup

M: flows about as thick as its 1.023 FG, however, the hard roasted notes and I suppose the alcohol, to an extent, chisel some of the flat, dumpy edges to it, so it doesn't end up a viscous drag... yeah, it has a barleywine type of constitution

O: this bottled version blew the draft version I had at the brewpub out of the water!... I got a celery/parsley green flavor in that - not here from the bottle - just nutty, bittersweet, malty loveliness... just about everything one could want and what should be in an American Brown Ale - nice work, Flossy!

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Another Flossmoor treat for me this evening. I decided to open this one up with dinner and give it a try. It had been a long day and I new I was going to be d early to begin with, so this just made sense to go forward with. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, it was consumed on 09/16/2009.
Nice pour here, looked much bigger then I would have expected from a brown ale I have to admit. Rich chocolate in color with only small touches of light peaking through giving it an almost hazelnut hue. Nice one inch head of tan foam on the top never really did fade away, instead it seemed to hang on the entire session, coating the inside of the glass thoroughly. Smooth and very sweet aroma comes up and over it almost immediately. Rich chocolate notes, lots of brown sugar and molasses and a very earthy feel to it. As I took the first sip though it is really where it started to come together quite well for me. Rich molasses And brown sugar notes coated over caramel malts and a nice chocolate base. Really quite nicely done I have to say. Great feel to it, thicker then I would have expected with carbonation that just would not quit. This was very well done I have to say. Reasonable ABV factored in and a long, smooth, silky fade of flavor that left quite a bit of a sugary note on the tongue led me to believe this was one of the most solid brown ales I have ever come across.
Overall this was damn good. I was actually more then impressed here, dare I say nearly blown away by how solid this one was. I would have no issue at all with grabbing for this one again, in fact I am looking forward to it.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A - Very deep brown color with a tan head.

S - Roasted malt and sweetness in the nose.

T - Roasted flavor with a great balance of sweetness and bitterness.

M - Full bodied and creamy.

D - Goes down smooth. I had no trouble finishing the bomber.

I am typically not a fan of brown ales but this one was delicious.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours velvety dark brown with a creamy tan head.

Aroma is smokey charred dark grain with an underlying dark fruit sweetness.

Taste is exactly what the nose lead me to expect. Intensely smokey dark grain overshadows the mild dark fruit sweetness. A good bit of chocolate makes an appearance. Finishes with a dry, cedar quality, and lingering dark fruit - notably plum.

Mouthfeel is medium-full. Viscous, but very smooth.

Overall a very interesting and flavorful brown ale. The intense charred dark grain grain presents a porter-like character. However the finish is sweet and woody like a brown ale.

4.49/5  rDev +12.5%

22oz bottle courtesy of wkcyr4 poured into a pint glass.

This one pours very dark brown, darker than I was expecting with a small tan head that recedes pretty quickly and leaves only a trace of lacing.

The aroma really blew me away, probably the best brown I've ever smelled. Tons of dark roasted malts balance with the sweetness of the molasses - a perfectly balanced combination with a hint of coffee and smoke in the nose as well.

The taste picked up where the nose left off, with tons of caramel malts and some roasted coffee forming a solid backbone. The molasses really balances that roasted character before the finish provides a bit of chocolate sweetness and a hint of hops.

The mouthfeel is pretty full and the molasses consistency can really be felt as it gets almost syrupy...but not quite.

Well, this is one of the best brown ales I've ever tasted. Flossmoor continues to impress and this is no exception. Fantastic brew.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Poured a nice deep dark black with a light but long lasting tan head.

The smell was very nice with deep mahogany notes along with light smoke and sweet molasses.

The flavor is very intense for a beer of this strength, a nice mixture of black malts, sweet brown sugar, toffee, smoke, and molasses giving this beer a great depth of flavor.

The mouthfeel is very thick and creamy.

Easily one of the best brown ales I have ever had. Great Beer!

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a 20oz imperial pint. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the hook-up!

A: Pours a dark chocolate-y brown with some faintly lighter brown at the edges. Creamy, one-finger, dark-tan head evaporates rather quickly, leaving a thick and bubbly ring behind.

S: Awesome aromas of chocolate, molassas, roasted malt, and cocoa. Smells sweet and spicy in the same sniff!

T: Chocolate and molassas weigh heavily in the flavors, along with roasted malt, spice, coffee, and an excellent flavor like spicy red pepper chocolate (almost like one of those Vosges chocolate bars with red pepper and/or chili powder in it!)

M: Full and creamy at first sip, but, as the mouthfeel progresses towards the finish it takes a decidedly spicy/peppery turn and makes this beer truly compelling.

D: Incredible! I've found my new, locally made, go to Brown Ale. 6% means this is sessionable, as well.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Bought a couple bombers from Flossmoor Station recently.

Pullman brown pours a very dark brown almost black with brown highlights around the edges. It is capped by a small mocha colored head that left some spotty lacing on my pint glass. The nose is quite vibrant for a brown ale and is full of molasses, cocoa, hazelnuts, and chocolate. I am quite impressed with this nose. The flavor profile is equally as robust and pleasant as the nose. Roasted malt character upfront with a bitter chocolate finish with a slight coffee characteristic to it as well. It is almost porter or stout like in the flavor profile, but a little softer. The mouthfeel is really rich with medium carbonation with no alcohol present on the mouthfeel. The drinkability is really nice for this beer, and I certainly wish I could get more of this beer. I would make a session beer out of this in the winter.

I think this is a tremendous beer, and hopefully can get plenty more my next trip to Chicago.

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This brown ale does not belong in the English Brown category. I bundle this one with many browns brewed in the US that really are probably Porters. I say this because they are higher in gravity, malt content, alcohol, and flavor then an English brown. Many border on stout like roasted malt contribution. Most are a bit too big to be session brews.

A: Very dark brown ale. Clear and still. Big beige head that only slowly recedes.

S: Aroma has it all roasted malt, chocolate, toasted nuts, and molasses all blended very nicely into a rich and wickedly delicious brew.

T: Delivers exactly what you thought it would. Flavor starts roasted and ends with bitter sweet chocolate and toasted nut. The hops come into dry the palate. I love a beer that has a nice big sweet flavor in the middle that does not leave your palate sticky and uses hops to clean up in the aftertaste.

M: Not as thick as you might think. Could be a bit bigger in body. The head retention and carbonation is very good.

D: Could drink this one over and over again. Works as a one timer or a bit of a session. A great american brown ale.

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%

Frankly, American Brown Ales bore me. Sure, there are some boundary stretchers out there that are very good - but unless brewers are doing something exceptional to their 'browns' (Rocky's Revenge, Santo Palo Marron, Bender, etc.) they're yawn-inducing at best.

So I ordered this with no expectations and...holy crap.

This is the best straight-up brown I've ever had, by a long shot. Maybe it's the molasses lending a sweetness to the brew. Maybe it's the interesting notes of chocolate & coffee in the background. Maybe it's the sheer number of malts that make for a complex but smooth, approachable brew. Maybe it was the richness & fullness of the beer, both in the body & in the mouthfeel. Maybe it's just the shock of finding a beer with so much flavor, character, & interest at 6% ABV in a style that is staid & boring.

Superb beer. Picked up a couple of bottles for the flight home & will be happy to have them over the next month or so. Now am very sad that we missed the IPA tapping by a single day

4.43/5  rDev +11%

Given this by Sproser at the BA Blackout release this year after I snuck an Abyss '08 into the release party to split with him so he could have a taste (managed to just get it poured before some really pissed bartenders confiscated my empty bottle!!!) with me. Thanks man, made the release memorable!

Appearance- Pours a very dark brown into my tankard with a an enormous tan head bubbling up in my glass. Well over three fingers of puffy head that has amazing retention and only very gradually dies back to about half a finger that sticks around for the rest of the drink. Some sticky lacing left down the side of the glass as I drink as well. Very nice looking beer with amazing head.

Smell- Lots of sweet malt and roastiness come through in a big way in the nose. Brown sugar and molasses come through pretty heavy as well. Smells sweet but with enough roasted scents to make it interesting and appetizing.

Taste- Mmmm, I like this one. Much of the same as the nose. Huge notes of brown sugar and malt with very noticeable molasses undertones as well. Plenty of roastiness as well and maybe just the slightest hints of coffee.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Great carbonation that isn't overly aggressive despite the massive head. Meaty but not overly thick mouthfeel. Really goes down easy.

Overall, possibly my new favorite brown ale. I really liked this one and probably could have polished off another bomber after the first if I had another...try it if you can.

4.39/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2010 vintage, recipe #128 written on bottle

a - poured a two-fingers thick rocky tan head into a snifter that left great lacing throughout. the body was dark brown bordering on black.
s - syrup and cocoa.
t - molasses and other malts with some chocolate flavors.
m - thick and chewy, very creamy.
o - now this is one of the best brown ales i've ever had. it may be the best. so flavorful and rich and the mouthfeel is as good as it gets.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. Solid brown pour with a finger of frothy light tan head.

Aroma, Malty caramel and chocolate. Some peat and molasses.

Taste, says its brewed with molasses and there is no doubt. Again caramel and chocolates, cocoa. Finishes a little roasty, leather, peat and fairly dry.

Only lighter mid bodied, but very creamy. Could drink a bunch. A dark brew drinkers brown ale.

Best American brown I've had.

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%

Note: Tasted bottled version contract brewed by Riverside Brewing Co., Riverside, CA.

Dark brown to black color with ruby highlights and a nice Brown head. Big Chocolate aroma and a nice chocolate taste (had a slight roasty aftertaste). Medium bodied.

This beer runs along the lines of a Robust Porter in my book - delicious and makes you want to have more than one !

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a fudge brown color with a big tan head; nice stickage and plenty of lace; looks more like a porter than a brown ale

Smell: Chocolate dominates the aroma, with undertones of caramel and oats

Taste: Opens with a wallop of chocolate that adds some caramel by mid-palate; after the swallow, the chocolate continues to dominate, though there is a subtle addition of some fruity hop elements

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation; the oats definitely add some creaminess to the mouthfeel

Drinkability: Not sure where this beer should be classified, but it is a first rate beer whatever style you want to call it

Pullman Nut Brown from Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery