Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Pullman Brown Ale - Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

Pullman Brown AlePullman Brown Ale

Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: younger35 on 04-17-2008

2.06/5  rDev -48.4%

Browns are among my favorite styles but this isn't one that I'd recommend. The taste reminded me more of a porter, the flavor was bitter and astringent and it had little fullness of flavor. This was a bad combination of a harsh scent and a medicinal taste.

2.59/5  rDev -35.1%

Thanks to ChadQuest for this brew, first one I've had from Flossmoor Station.

This may be called a brown ale, but it appears jet black with a coffee scum head that dissipates quickly leaving some swirls and decent lace.

Nose is of the coffee variety, with some roasted malt behind it. It's mostly coffee though with a touch of earthy oats. very pleasant nose and a good rubbery cafe that is enough to carry the aroma.

Taste starts a bit metallic, and in this case it hurts, but after that its a balanced blend of coffee, semi-sweet malts, and molasses to finish. This is definitely a stronger than usual brown ale, and it's ok to be strong, but combined with the long-lingering sucking-on-zipper metal the taste suffers a great deal. It's unfortunate because the other flavors are really solid and I wish I could fully experience them.

Mouthfeel is more sticky and thick than your average brown ale, and it might be too much for some, but I happen to enjoy it. The molasses is very imposing in terms of taste and mouthfeel, and it can get a bit much. Drinkability is harmed a great deal by the metal and uneven alcohol strength/molasses. This beer could be so much better that it's disappointing to point out its shortcomings. I feel bad giving this such a low score since I can see how good it could be, but I couldn't get through too much of this beer (thanks to AwYeh for jumping in to finish the job).

2.62/5  rDev -34.3%

Aroma begins with an earthy and musty smells with some prominent coffee smells as well.
The taste begins with dark roasted coffee maltiness. Soon after you are greeted with a strong earthy hops presence which is really not appropriate in my opinion. There is this odd aftertaste which I can't quite place; it's almost metallic, which is really a detriment to the overall flavor. Maybe this is just a bad batch/bottle. The thick lacing on this beer makes me think it is just overly hopped with Kent Golding hops or something similar.
The mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with light carbonation.
Overall this beer is a large disappointment. Flavors are just not balanced and the lingering odd aftertaste it quite horrendous. It gets worse as it warms as well.

2.62/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to MasterSki for this one. Shared with my wife last night.

Poured from a bomber.

Appearance: Holey moley! I'm pouring foam into my glass not beer! Every time i pour, it comes out foam with very little body. The light brown head looks gorgeous though all frothy and whipped. My wife says it looks like a root beer float. After several minutes i eventually see the opaque dark brown body. Though off-putting a little, it looks really nice once it settles down.

Smell: Molasses, chocolate and brown sugar. Nice bitter edge to it.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Combining these together because the carbonation is way out of hand on this one. I get a little bit of molasses but the carbonation is literally hurting my tongue. I let calm down for awhile and try again. Carbonation is still high but i do get some coarse chocolate and burnt sugar. Other than that, nothing and not quite pleasant i must say.

Drinkability: Not really. My wife couldn't continue after a few sips but i tried to give it a chance but i couldn't finish my glass. The astringent taste and overly excessive carbonation kills it for me.

Overall: I debated as to whether i should review it or not but i've seen a few reviews describing similar experiences so i figure it's good for people to see both sides of the coin. Still, i do want to try it again, maybe on tap it'll be better. The bottle is killer though!

2.67/5  rDev -33.1%

Thanks to nkersten for this one. Recipe No. 128

As I pop the top, a loud, explosive fizz erupts and immediately worries me. As I pour the beer, the glass is instantly engulfed in a thick foam. One finger of beer, the rest is foam. This has all the sign of an infection. The color is nearly opaque, chocolate kiss brown. The immense, foamy head is tan in color.

The aroma was nutty and chalky with some chocolate in the mix as well.

The flavor was quite nutty, chalky, astringent, bitter. There was some decent raw cocoa bean flavor but that contributed to the husky bitterness as well. Almost like eating raw bakers chocolate. For 27 IBUs, ths is way too bitter and something is certainly wrong here.

Way over carbonated on the toungue which leads me to believe this is an erratic bottle. I had some of the these from Duck Rabbit and was not pleased. Since I received this via trade, it is my only bottle and it is only fair to let others know of my experience. Apparently, I have one of the only overcarbonated bottles.

Tastes alright, way too foamy and tough to drink.

2.82/5  rDev -29.3%

I was excited to get this in trade from Masterski as I have loved everything I've tried from Flossmoor.

When I popped open the bottle there was greater than usual release of pressure. No line indicating any problems at the fill line. When I poured it the entire glass filled with foam/head. Way too much. I worried. A quick wiff did not detect any off odors. I let it sit and slowly poured a glass over the next several minutes. Brown leather/shoe polish in color. You can see a touch of carbonation around the edges. The head remains insane any time you pour even a little into the glass.

Aroma is grain like, roasted, caramel, slight cinnamon.. slight wet cardboard.

Flavor is quite grain like as well. Some minerals and a real roasted flavor. Almost no sweetness, which is shocking seeing as this is brewed with molasses. Slight cocoa. Can't detect any molasses or caramel. Charcoal in flavor and also almost chalky in mouth feel.

Mouth feel is quite dry.

Have to admit that I am not enjoying this as much as I would have guessed. At this point I've gone and read other reviews.. I don't get it.. I don't detect any off flavors.. so I can't state it's a bad bottle. Don't see a date anywhere to confirm age.

At a future date, I'll have to try this again, but at this point I am not impressed.

2.93/5  rDev -26.6%

22oz bomber poured into tulip pint; thanks to madvermin for sharing this one with me. Bottled 1/11.

A: Pours an opaque dark brown color; I'm really surprised by how dark this is, it looks far more like a stout than any brown ale I've ever had. One finger of foamy off-white head, with spotty lacing.

S: Musty to start things out, with a lot of coffee quickly coming in. Lots of oatmeal flavors come in as well- even more than I might expect from an oatmeal stout.

T: Big roasted malts start things off here; large flavor for a 6% ABV beer that isn't driven by hops- not sure I've encountered this kind of strength before in a brown ale. Lots of brown sugar flavors show up here. Unfortunately, a slightly unpleasant metallic taste runs along the majority of the flavor- the finish tastes almost as if I had been chewing on aluminum flavor prior to tasting the beer. Still, the rest of the flavor is decent, so I won't knock it all that much.

M: Medium-bodied, with light carbonation. Nothing really stands out as being special about the mouthfeel- pretty standard, really.

O: Overall, a good beer- the metallic flavor hurts it a bit (and I try to review both to style and a C average, which makes things worse for Pullman Brown Ale), but if you're reading this review and considering buying it, maybe you'll be more sympathetic regarding the metal flavor.

3.08/5  rDev -22.8%

Had this brew on tap at Flossmoor. Pours dark brown with a light tan head. Smell is nutty, and coffee like and taste is chalky, nutty, and lightly of coffee. Bit thin body and flavorwise, but otherwise a good, drinkable brown ale. Didn't knock my socks off, however.

3.31/5  rDev -17%

Aged for 8 months

A- pours black with a wisp of foam that lingers in the center of the glass

S- sweet with a faint nutty odor

T- slightly malty finish with a sweet nutty taste

M- light and thin. Almost a bit too watery

O- I thought the smell and flavor would redeem the beer, but the mouthful is weak. A bit disappointed with this one.

3.31/5  rDev -17%

Bottled bomber served in a New Belgium globe.

Pours a very deep, dark brown with excellent carbonation that settles slowly.

Upon first sniff, molasses and brown sugar tend to dominate. The first word that popped into my head was "sweet". I let it sit for a few more minutes and the molasses was almost overpowering.

The taste reminds me a little of coffee candy or coffee ice cream, which I don't like. It's not as strong, but it's very sweet with a coffee undertone.

I like the mouthfeel, mostly because of what seems to me a suitable-high level of carbonation. The taste/aftertaste lingers just long enough.

Drinkability is a little on the low side, mostly because it reminds me so much of coffee ice cream. I'm sure my significant other would love it for this very reason.

Flossmoor has put out a pretty solid lineup, but I think I will pass on picking up this one again unless it is super cheap. It's already reasonably affordable, so no complaints there. I think I'll stick to their IPAs and just ogle my last bottle of Wooden Hell.

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(Served in an American pint glass)

A-Nice big creamy tan head. The body was thick and black with no visible carbonation.

S- Very clean smell but it had hints of floral hops and a bit of chocolate or roasted malt. The end had a bit of a spicy note aswell.

T- It started with a sweet but roasted barley flavor and a slight hint of chocolate. The spicy resinous hops were a balance to the malt and there was some prune or black strap molasses in the background. It finished with a slight alcoholic warmth.

M- The mouthfeel felt slippery but still creamy and there was a slight alcohol warmth at the end.

D- I feel like this beer is more of an American Brown Ale or a Porter. It has nice big hops that would make me think that it is a ABA but the awards on the wall are for best Porter. It is a nice beer but I'm not sure why it had an alcohol warmth to it. Maybe it was served to young and needed time to age?

3.55/5  rDev -11%

The beer pours a dark garnet to almost brown color with a light chocolate semi-creamy head that is modest in size, the residual lace a fine sheet to coat the glass. Roasted grains and light hop aromas dominate the nose. Start is slightly sweet, top is middling in mouth feel, the finish pleasantly hopped, pleasingly acidic, malt dry long lasting aftertaste. My bottle says that it was bottled and brewed by "Riverside Brewery" at least this is a drinkable beer, the previous Riverside beers I’ve sampled were totally without merit, and don’t really need mentioning.

3.55/5  rDev -11%

a: dark brown, almost black color, thick tan head that very slowly settles to finger-thickness, good lacing
s: roasted malts, hints of chocolate and molasses
t: starts out same as smell - nice roasted malts with dash of chocolate sweetness, giving way to mix of hops, black licorice for a bitter, almost metallic aftertaste
m: creamy with good level of carbonation
d: overall this is a solid brew, but the finish was not enjoyable

3.56/5  rDev -10.8%

my first flossmoor beer. the brewpub isn't far from me so this could be the beginning of an expensive relationship if what i read is accurate

coloration is in porter territory. almost opaque, with mahogany auras around the edge. utterly frothless

the aroma is also impinging on porter demarcations. bitter chocolate and heavily kilned malts. a touch of soy (without the saltyness). a real concentration of malt, in fact, i think i can smell some booze--not sure i believe the 6% bit

tastes like charred marshmallow (just the crispy bit, not what lies within). the molasses is evident and seems to dictate the tasting experience: rich but not ultimately dynamic (for a brown ale, yes, but this really isn't one). hops do add some depth, but can't quite battle the cloying finish

the beer is certainly on the flat side and this only contributes to its mystique as a brown ale masquerading as a porter or stout. hypocarbonation aside, it is a fuller beer than your average brown

for all intents and purposes i can't bring myself to accept this as a brown ale. it's just too roasty and substantial, regardless of its 6%. to be quite honest nothing about it is brownalelike. to be honest, i'm not sure i buy the 6%. as mentioned above i think i detect a little heat, and then there's the less tangible buzz test: it "feels" like more than 6%

3.56/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is malty along a strong hint of sweetness, probably from the molasses. The flavor is caramel and malty and has a heavy sweetness from the molasses. Decent ale although the molasses made it a bit too sweet for my tastes.

3.62/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Recipe number 128

A - Pours dark brown. Not much head. Creamy lacing persists.

S - Baker's chocolate, molasses, cola, a sharp, roasted note.

T- Bitter mocha, not much sweetness, lots of unsweetened chocolate, and astringent finish. Something that reminds me of bandaids (and yes, I have smelled and tasted them).

M - Good coating and carb. Too sharp and astringent at finish.

D - Tires me easily.

3.63/5  rDev -9%

Ryan011235 busted this one out.

A- A very stout-looking beer rolls out of the bottle into a snifter that could be mistaken for a fish bowl. Its a deep, deep brown, next to no light challenges its darkness. I cant say its totally black, we will say "burnt umber". The head is small, but tight. It has a grayish tawny color.

S- First impressions of this aroma are that of hoppy grassinesses. Cocoa in the raw follows with some coffee bean trailing behind. Im searching for this purported molasses, but my search turns up empty handed.

T- The flavors start nice then fade out in a rather passive-aggressive way. Its really just becomes grassy with some chilled coffee. The finish heralds a bit of cocoa.

M- This is a nearly full beer with a delightful smoothness.

D- I liked this beer but it wasnt a memorable experience. Ive still got to give a thanks to Ryan for bringing this one back from Chicago with me in mind.

3.64/5  rDev -8.8%

Served on tap in a 12oz glass about 7 miles from the brewery. Very dark for the style with a rich, chocalatey aroma. Creamy, thick tan head. A heavy beer with an initial sweetness that gives way to lingering bitterness. Leaves an equally strong maltiness with flavors of smoke and coffee. Pretty big for a brown ale. I've definately tasted Porters that were not as dark and heavy.

3.66/5  rDev -8.3%

Blind Beer #7

Thanks to Kirk (Florida9) for sending me this in Round #5 of the Blind Beer BIF.

22 oz. bottle poured into a new holland 12 oz. glass. Dark amber brown pour with copper head. Aroma is biscuit and brown sugar. Flavor is rich in malt and some caramel with a solid kick of soured malt in the finish. The soured I'm talking about is more like what you'd taste in a guinness and less like a funk sour.

Guessing a brown ale here.

The reveal: Pullman Brown Ale. Awesome! A solid american version of an English brown, and a want as this is from my book project.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

Thanks Jon for bringing this one back. A malty brown, not too sweet, with some chocolate and cocunt. Nice foamy head. Above average mouthfeel, somewhat complex. Hits the style, toasty nutty, the mollasses, and appropriate carbonation. Fresh enough, but very little sense of the hops.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

A: dark brown on the edges otherwise almost black. Minimal tan head quickly dissipates to a spotty ring of lace.
S: chocolate and coffee. Some dark dried fruit.
T: medium sweet dark chocolatey coffeeish malts. Subtle smooth hops and roastiness bring it to a semisweet finish. Dark molasses is present as well.
M: medium bodied round smooth and slick. More carbonation would have helped a lot.
D: this was more of a porter to me. A good porter, but undercarbonated.

3.69/5  rDev -7.5%

22 ounce bottle for $6.49. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours dark brown with a huge tan head. Pretty much as soon as I poured the beer into the glass, it started bubbling up like crazy, and it took a while for the head to settle down enough for me to pour a somewhat full glass. Aroma is nice and malty, it smells like molasses, chocolate, brown sugar and some coffee. The taste is similar to the aroma, but there's the addition of a nutty flavor. Also, I think the roasty coffee flavor comes out stronger in the finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick but has way too much carbonation. I'm not sure if this is a bad bottle or not, but at least the taste wasn't affected. Other than the high carbonation, I think it's a good brew. I'd try this again in the future.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the tap to an opaque dark brown, with thick tan head that disspated quickly and left okay lacing. This had to be one of the drakest brown ales I’ve ever had.

Nose was slightly mute, but a pleasant mix of malty roasted nuts, chocolate and a hint of coffee. Mouthfeel unspectacular for this medium bodied beer. Flavor was more of the malty choclate and nuts, with a finish that was sweet and warming, but offset by just enough hops to avoid being too sweet.

A good winter beer.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a 22 oz. bottle bought at Flossmoor St.

Pours with a small tight brown head. Dark opaque brown color. Aroma is milk chocolatey, slightly smoky. Starts with sweet chocolate mocha flavors, becoming roasty and somewhat coffeeish. Seems a bit darker and roastier than expected for a brown ale. Hint of burnt bitter molasses in the finish. Medium body. Alcohol is quite moderate and sweetness is pleasant, not cloying.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Sampled on: July 20, 2005

Aroma: Clean smell with a caramel and hoppy aroma.

Appearance: It was a dark beer with a brown color and a thick medium tan head. It was fairly clear as well.

Taste: I thought the taste was a little strong. I thought perhaps it was a little over roasted. It had a very strong chocolate-caramel malty flavor to it and was quite bitter.

Mouthfeel: It was a very creamy beer with little carbonation. The head was smooth.

Drinkability: Almost overpowering. I'd say I'd make it through about a glass before I would be content not to have any more.

Overall impression: The flavor of this beer was a little strong for me. However, for it's style I do think it is a good product. I don't know if this would be a good one for having with heavy food, but it was good nonetheless.

Pullman Brown Ale from Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery