Collaborative Evil 2008 - Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

A collaboration of brewers Todd Ashman (FiftyFifty), Zac Triemert (Lucky Bucket), and Matt Van Wyk (Flossmoor Station). Made with Raisins, local honey, Mexican and Indian sugars, orange peel and black cardamom.

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 09-28-2008)
Blanchette

4.95/5  rDev +27.6%

Picked up a few bottles at the Lush special re-release party in Chicago. I'd went to the brewery on the release day but got there too late, so this was an unexpected treat.

I was originally a touch disappointed by the appearance; it poured a murky brown color with a rapidly dissipating head. Revealed a nice thick body, though, and my original fears were calmed by the wonderful smell of this beer. Mysterious spices, a bit of alcohol, and something of a muted peppermint nose really got me excited for this one.

I was not disappointed: tastes like a richer version of the aged unibroue 2004. Absolutely unique, even for the style, and the flavor quickly shifts from a spicy sweetness up front to a roasty bitterness in the back, with a wave of muted mint. Extremely long lasting flavor, helped by a perfect density and smoothness in the mouth. Bitterness really takes over after a while, but it fills the mouth and isn't too sharp after it warms a touch.

The best thing about this beer is the drinkability. After a few sips, the flavors really come together and the heavy spiciness starts to dull the buds a touch. The flavor gets more intense and full in the mouth, leading you to want to drink this more and more. I easily finished a bottle and was itching to crack another (I resisted). The alcohol is very well hidden, and I could sip on this all night (though it was better from the bottle than on draft).

This one is world-class for the style. The Unibroue 2004 was a very original beer, but this one takes that style and brings it to a new level. It's rare that we see a belgian style dark ale as a special release that might achieve a cult following. I know that if this is released again next year, I'll be there at 11 am waiting to grab as much as I can.

10-04-2008 19:02:02 | More by Blanchette
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.7/5  rDev +21.1%

Wow this is a damn good beer. Much thanks to D0b for sending me this one as an extra. Served chilled, and poured into a nonic pint glass, this twenty two ounce bomber was consumed on 01/12/2009.

First off, bonus points for the fantastic looking bottle with the red waxed cap. Poured a deep, dark black, with no light shining through this monster at all. A huge tan head of three inches in height came up over the top and settled down nicely into a thin film maybe an inch high that lasted throughout the rest of the session. Very big looking beer I have to say.

The aroma was wonderful. Tart cherries and prunes, hints of dates and a luscious almost raspeberry note to it. Very much alive with a sour funk note and lots of hoppiness. The flavor defies style. As it starts with delicate, soft plums and grapes, hints of cherries and blackberries them coming forward giving that tart flavor a wonderful foot forward. Exceptional depth here as each flavor was better then the one before and each sip seemed to get more and more complex. I can just see the fruits in my mind as I sip on this one,The texture was nice, though a little fuller would have made this one wonderful. I was really impressed as the alcohol was soo well hidden that by the end of the session I was really feeling this one,

Overall I loved this beer. I was expecting something heavy and sweet but instead a subtle fruity belgian beer is waht greeted me. Not sure what style I would call this one, but it its damn good, and I would love to have another.

01-13-2009 03:43:26 | More by mikesgroove
spointon

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%

I poured this one from a 22oz brown bomber bottle (sealed w/red wax) into my St. Bernardus chalice glass.

A= This ale poured a dark caramel soda color with a 1/4" light tan head that quickly disappeared to nothing. I didn't find any lacing on the glass. Carbonation was fine looking and the release was active and gave this one an effervescent look.

S= The aromas coming from this ale were dominated by sweet malt, dark candied fruit, cherries, raisins, and spices. Alcohol was present in the aroma, but not overpowering.

T= From the very first sip this ale was complex and fruity. The sweet malts started the parade of flavors, followed by a mild earthiness, a slight sourness, and then finishing with an almost neverending and complex array of fruitiness and spice. I was seriously still experiencing new flavor sensations five seconds after each swallow was complete. Amazingly well balanced with little to no alcohol bite.

MF= This was a medium bodied ale with an absolutely outstanding carbonation. Effervescent without feeling sharp or too crisp.

D= I will admit that this is one of my absolute favorite styles of beer and this one really impressed me. Every bit of this one was balanced and well done. With the huge abv nearly undetectable, this is not only delicious but also dangerous. I can't wait to get some more...

10-02-2008 04:58:14 | More by spointon
orbitalr0x

4.58/5  rDev +18%

22oz red waxed bomber. This was a collaboration between Flossmoor Station, FiftyFifty Brewing and Lucky Bucket Brewing. Pours into my glass a deep brown with cola edges and a small eggshell head that falls to a ring around the top. Aroma starts out with spicy dark malts bringing notes of brown sugar, raisins, ginger snaps, honey, candi sugar and spices. The cardamom comes through along with a fruity undertone. Earthy yeast accents and a touch of caramel.

First sip brings somewhat sweet dark malt upfront that quickly moves into an array of spicy flavors. Strong notes of honey, candi sugar and raisins lead the way. It flows down with citric notes and cardamom that's evident but not overpowering. Yeast tones on the finish with a bit of bitterness. Finishes with a touch of lingering, but not cloying sweetness and a spicy, fruity aftertaste. Alcohol is well hidden throughout.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a bit of slickness. Goes down smooth while still making itself known. Pretty much perfect on the mouthfeel in my opinion with steady carbonation. Overall, this is a complex and extremely tasty Belgian ale. Everything works together well here. I'm glad I made the trek up to Flossmoor for the release. Awesome stuff.

09-28-2008 21:30:43 | More by orbitalr0x
botham

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

on tap poured into a goblet at the brewpub in Flossmoor. pours a dark brownish garnet color with a single finger of tan, dense head that has good retention and leaves no lacings.

aroma is mildly sweet, with a distinct herbal quality and subtle malt notes of caramel and dark fruit. overall the brew takes on a medicinal quality from the herbal undertones, imparting a pleasant aura overall.

taste is heavy on malts, with a caramel base and a warming backbone of sweet biscuit and caramelized malt. the same herbal undertones envelop the malt, creating a wonderfully complex and complete profile. the 10% APV is barely detectable, with notes of dark fruit (plum and raisen) rounding out the profile. finishes on a malty note with the same herbal quality lingering after the fact. aftertaste is of dark fruit and a bit of black malt without being bitter.

mouthfeel is excellent. a full bodied brew with a complex character and a smooth mouthfeel that rounds out the malty profile and covers up the alcohol nicely. one would think that this has been aged for wuite a while due to the smoothness of the overall brew.

drinkability is great. this is a big brew with solid malt complexity and a very unique overall character. a wonderful fall/winter seasonal with a nice warming quality from the richness and the alcohol. Flossmoor is worth a trip just for this brew. cheers!

10-25-2008 23:16:58 | More by botham

4.5/5  rDev +16%

02-20-2012 23:19:38 | More by imperialking
paco1029384756

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a dark ruby brown color, no head, little carbonation and an incredibly thin ring of lacing.

Scent of candi sugar, bubble gum, bananas, ginger, honey, cherries, and more spices. An absolute masterpiece, one the of the best scents I have come across. Potpourri in a bottle, just wonderful stuff, I can not get enough.

Taste of candi sugar, honey, ginger with tons of spices. Great stuff with a depth that will be realized with some age, but could possibly go further than that.

Mouthfeel is very smooth with some carbonation which balances out nicely with the marvelous smoothness of the beer.

A magnificent brew which I am glad to have been able to contribute my money to and I look forward to the creations of the Flossmoor crew for years to come.

10-03-2008 01:18:11 | More by paco1029384756
pmccallum86

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Thanks to the mothman for breaking this one out.

Pours a deep mahogany raisin color with a thin little head that dissipates quickly.

Big, dried fruits, spices and malts.

Just like the nose, dried fruits, various spices, kind of a little sourness as well. Tons of flavor that is melded very smoothly, I'm assuming it comes from the age.

High carbonation, very pleasant mouthfeel.

Very nice example of the style, goes down well.

04-19-2010 03:59:35 | More by pmccallum86
rye726

Colorado

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Not sure is I would call this a BSDA, but is fro sure a delicious brew. Pours a dark brown with a decent head. The nose is simply amazing. It has the most earthy and herbal aromas I have ever experienced in a beer. The taste was quite nice as well. Good malt profile along with the spicy green hops. Full body goes down well. A fantastic offering.

10-25-2008 02:36:25 | More by rye726
GbVDave

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a red wax sealed 22oz bomber into two St. Bernardus goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Slides into the glass a murky, dark chocolate-y brown. The tiny, off-white head quickly gives way to a mere suggestion of a skim and leaves the barest minimum of lace...we were ok with that!

S: Here's where this beer really shines. Glorious aromas of tart fruit, pungeant funky yeast, toffee, dark chocolate, spice, roasted malt, dark fruit, honey, clove, caramel, and raisin. Heather noticed earthy, "vegetable-like" aromas of squash, pumpkin, or gourd.

T: See above for a really accurate description. Add to this a bit of metallic alcohol burn and more sweet, spicy, and earthy vegetal flavors. Awesome!

M: Dry and roasty, with a sweet, tangy, and funky earthiness. A bit thin at first, but that could've been due to the slightly too cold serving temp.

D: We both enjoyed this beer immensely. The alcohol is present but not in your face, at all. However, by the end of the bottle we were both feeling a little "flushed". This was an excellent collaboration. Could this be the first in a series? Here's hoping yes!

11-15-2008 16:11:00 | More by GbVDave
Floydster

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

650 ml bottle with red wax acquired in a trade with wkcyr4, thanks for sending this my way on your first trade Wendall, drank on Halloween, reviewed from notes, poured into a snifter

A-First thought was that this looked like soda, then I started to pour a little faster and a small head formed, color was a medium to dark brown, head was 1/2 inch and creamy beige, some retention, lacing at first
S-One of the best smelling non-sour beers beers I have ever had, it had this buttery scent almost along the lines of candy corn that just drew me in, lots of honey, spices, sweet malt backbone, brown sugar, berries, raisins, faint alcohol, and toffee
T-Starts off with a sweet honey taste with raisins mixed in the middle and more malts than I could smell, finish is slightly warm and mostly made of spices and buttery cream which was my favorite part of both the aroma and flavor, later on dark fruits and candied sugars come to the surface, by the end there is a big spicy presence and it is more sweet than before, still as good or better than when the cap first came off, could not have picked a better beer to drink while passing out candy
M-Tons of carbonation that made this slightly crisp, medium bodied, sweet, buttery, spicy, and sugary mouthfeel, taste lingered with both sweetness and spice
D-Drank the whole bomber but I sipped on it for close to three hours, does not exactly go down easy but alcohol is well hidden for the most part, it is not overly heavy or anything either, it is ten percent though and quite potent

I will start by saying that the artwork on this bottle was well done, I had never had a single beer from the three breweries that made this masterpiece which are Fifty Fifty, Lucky Bucket, and Flossmoor Station, lucky to have tried this since it was a brewery only release limited to around 70 cases, would certainly drink again, recommended

11-03-2008 19:53:10 | More by Floydster
ackeeper

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

05-22-2013 02:15:08 | More by ackeeper
srandycarter

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

A - Pours cola, not much head, leaves fast, thin bubble sudsy lacing.

S - Banana, fruits, other standard Belgian yeast smells.

T - Cola, banana, vanilla, spices.

M- medium body, creamy, good balance and carb.

D - For the style, nice. Frankly, it just wasn't a stand out beer for me.

12-01-2008 04:25:27 | More by srandycarter
roadhouse

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle with red wax into a snifter.

Appears a dark cola brown with a half inch light tan head. Sinks to a skim and leaves very little lacing.

Aroma has a somewhat sweet backbone with lots of herbal tones, dark fruit, clove, and other spices that I can't really distinguish.

The taste is initially kind of sweet then there is an explosion of spices. Spicy cloves, earthiness, raisins, berries, brown sugar, etc. Very complex.

Mouthfeel is medium but still somewhat thick, very soft on the palate, smooth and easy drinking.

Excellent stuff from Flossmoor. I think the spices have blended and mellowed a little bit since I last had it on tap at the release. I only wish I had more money with me at the release so I could have gotten more bottles.

11-01-2008 05:18:55 | More by roadhouse
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to eyebrews for this one. I shared this at a recent tasting.

Poured into CCB snifter.

Pours a light tan head that fades down fast. Color is a dark ruby brown.

Aroma: Huge spice flavors. Raisins, molasses, honey, cloves and more. I get some cherry and oranges. Sweet and spiced.

Taste: Huge malt profile. Very bready. Raisins and fresh cherries. Lots of honey, molasses, and other spices blend together. Cinnamon and nutmeg in the mix. Big and spiced, but well done.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, and refreshing. Medium bodied with more carbonation than the appearance would suggest. Ends dry and spiced.

Overall, for how many different spices were used in this beer it is pretty drinkable. Normally I can only handle so much spice, but this beer was well done. A little different compared to some of the other BSDA I have had but good none the less.

04-08-2010 17:52:44 | More by mothman
d0ggnate

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to stevemcqueenjr for opening this new beer to me.

A: Presented a rich amber/brown color with good carbonation and lasting lace on my glass.
S: I noted raisins with candied sugar and sage. Might have been another herb in there, too.
T: Rich with roasted raisin flavor. Slightly tart. Hints of nutmeg and spice.
M: A bit watery, but well-bodied and warming as it goes down.
D: Great drinkability and intriguing complexity. Really opened up with time and warmth. This beer is peaking my Flossmoor curiosity.

12-12-2009 17:04:09 | More by d0ggnate
bamadog

Kentucky

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

I lucked out and happened into a beer shop at the right time - when one of our fellow BAs was needing to sell off a good chunk of his collection for some bills... This is the original vintage, and I'm pretty pumped to give it a shot. Review is from notes taken on 7/30/2012 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: Pour is a dark, burnt caramel brown with some ruby to it; starts with a 1/2 finger dark tan creamy head that fades pretty quickly to nothing other than a thin, incomplete peninsula of a cap with a thicker, foamier ring around the surface; body is murky, hard to see too far into but near the sides of the glass where the light penetrates one can see tiny and quick streams of carbonation bubbling up throughout;

Smell: A lot of sweet malts with Belgian candi, a lot of spiciness as well that blends in with the candi, and it's weird, but I would almost swear that I smell Andes Candies in it; smell is solid and I feel pretty unique...

Taste: Hmmm... Interesting, to say the least. I still say there is Andes Candies in here, but there is a strong blast of dark, overripe and slightly tart fruitiness to it as well -- perhaps figs, raisins and/or dates; Belgian spiciness blends with the candi sugar and malts; bit of a booziness to it that that makes the mouthfeel interesting and kind of warm.

Mouthfeel: Body is of medium weight; carbonation is still plenty lively and fits the body as it's not harsh, doesn't thin out the body at all; as mentioned above, the spiciness, booziness and I swear mint-like flavors make the mouth, gums and belly warm and tingly. I really enjoy how this beer feels on the palate.

Overall: It's good, no doubt about it. Not something I would crave a lot, but I think the flavors are pretty unique and have a good thing going for them. I wouldn't be disappointed to see this appear again, but I doubt it would ever happen. On a side note, the bottle is super bad-ass.

07-31-2012 01:09:07 | More by bamadog
jjayjaye

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a dark reddish hued cola color with a HUGE stiff foamy light tan head that settles fairly quickly to heavy spotted patterns of lacing. The smell has that earthy musty character that's a must to be considered 'in style'...banana, honey, raisins, almond, cloves and pumpkin. Well carbonated and really creamy, the mouth feel is medium-light textured. Full flavored, the pumpkin, caramel, banana, raisin characters standout and linger nicely. I experienced a little heat with the first mouth that was masked by the cloves and other complexities...can't believe that it's as heavy as 10% ABV! A real nice drinker....really enjoyed it!!

Many thanks to DavidEddie for the opportunity to consider this one!!!

12-14-2008 20:32:38 | More by jjayjaye
emerge077

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours in to a Duvel tulip a dark shade of brown that glows crimson when backlit. A finger or two of tan foam rise above the rim, and slowly recede. Swirling rekindles the head immediately.

Raisin, spiced cookies, it's bready like a doppelbock, but smells more like a Trappist. Some faint cola sweetness, fig and plum.

I had read about the tartness development, and noticed it right away when tasting this bottle. Not sure that this was intentional, since it wasn't present when fresh. Luckily it compliments the residual sweetness and spices present. When fresh it was pretty phenolic and warm with alcohol, now the heat isn't noticeable at all. There's still some honey laced banana bread in the background and trace cardamom, behind the tart berry flavor. Leather and tobacco blend into the initial tartness, reminding me of a Flanders Oud Bruin. The light astringency works against it, though it's fairly full bodied and well carbonated. Honey and spices in the pleasant aftertaste.

Looking forward to the next release...

07-18-2009 01:30:25 | More by emerge077
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people."

--Frank Kent

Pecan shell brown with generous tangerine highlights... that becomes glossy russet when backlit with afternoon sunshine. A vigorous pour has created three fingers of golden ecru colored foam that has an attractive texture and is leaving a fair amount of sea foam lace. Not a stunner, but it'll do nicely.

The aroma is dominated by dark malts and by two of the additional ingredients. An orange peel citrusiness is in the background and cardamom is in the foreground. I hope Matt didn't go too crazy with that spice since it's pretty aggressive and tends to take over whatever it's used in.

Collaborative Evil actually tastes like a BSDA. That's probably because the Belgians aren't especially style-conscious and tend to add all manner of things to their strong dark beer. It's also very well-behaved for a 10.0% ale, although more than one year in the bottle tends to help in that regard.

Putting flavor in terms of color, the malts taste midway between brown and black, which is pretty much like most BSDAs. Despite a decent amount of malt, two sugars and honey, CE 2008 isn't overly sweet. In fact, I'd go so far as to call it balanced. The various flavors are also integrated into a cohesive whole, especially given what was added.

Steely caramel and raisins are responsible for the darker flavors. Orange peel contributes a tangy fruitiness and coriander adds a warm spiciness, both of which become more bold with warming. Interesting and delicious is a sure-fire combination when it comes to big beer. Or any beer for that matter.

The body/mouthfeel is the only fly in the ointment. It's on the thinnish side for the style and doesn't have enough bubbles to provide the creamy expansiveness that I look for. This is the only place where the beer's age is apparent.

Collaborative Evil 2008 is damn good beer that could just as easily have earned the next highest flavor score. Sweet-bitter-tangy-spicy is a killer combination more often than not. I'd love for Flossmoor Station to brew this recipe again, but I'm also excited to taste what the new version has to offer. Thanks for rooting through the cellar Bryan.

10-07-2009 21:24:29 | More by BuckeyeNation
HopHead84

Thanks Matt. Consumed on 11/21/2009 and poured into a snifter. The beer is deep crimson with a frothy beige one inch head and good retention. Lacing is scattered.

The nose opens with raisins and currants. The sugar component is candied Belgian and brown. There's a dash of vanilla with orange peel and sweet honey. The malt is bready and alcohol is well hidden. Awesome nose.

The flavor is bready malt with a mild cherry tartness. Hmmmm, I don't remember that from when I tried it fresh. Notes of honey, candied sugar, and brown sugar are evident. I have here in my notes "yum," so I'll add that on. The finish is tart raisins, cherries, and currants. Nice spiced Belgian dark strong.

11-23-2009 23:01:58 | More by HopHead84
spycow

12-14-2011 07:02:07 | More by spycow
Mistofminn

Thanks to Mothman for breaking this bad boy open at a recent tasting.

The beer is a dark, clear mahogany color, with a one finger beige head that sits on top. Good retention and leaves some spattered lacing.

The nose is very fruity and spicey. I get a little bit of Candi sugar, a bready maltiness with honey and nutmeg, and a hint of alcohol. Fairly complex and enjoyable.

The flavor is just like the nose, a sweet fruitiness with a touch of tart. Cherries and raisins, Candi sugar and bready malts. A significant spice portion, stronger than I expected. I get cinnamon and nutmeg, among others.

Medium in body, with a soft carbonation and a slightly sticky feel. Drinkability is good on this one.

Overall, I actually wasn't expecting this to be this good. I haven't really found an example of the Belgian Strong Dark Ale that I thought was worth the price I paid for it, but I really enjoyed this one. Thanks Ben for the chance.

03-23-2010 02:17:29 | More by Mistofminn
brewandbbq

New Hampshire

22oz bottle warmed up from the fridge.

Pours dark chestnut with a ruby hue and a half inch of beige foam. Threads and dots of lacing throughout the glass as well as a partial skim coat on the surface.

Aromatics lead off with spices, raisins, plums, and dark rum. Nutmeg up front with licorice, honey-drizzeled cloves, and burnt caramel riding atop a firm malt base. Lightly peppery with a tinge of medicinal undertones.

On the fuller side of medium bodied with a mouthfeel that stops short of chewy.

Ripe fruit, plump raisins, and dark rum start the palate. Dark cherries, clovey phenols, and vineous alcohol follow through.

Finishes with lingering dark fruit, peppery spice, building tartness, and boozy overtones.

The tartness was unexpected and I'm wondering if it was intentional? Not much mention of it in early reviews..Hmmmm.
The spicing is a bit strong for my tastes, and the alcohol could use some mellowing also. A great cellar candidate it would seem though.
Probably more in the neighborhood of a Grand Cru