Farewell Pale Ale - Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-22-2009)
Reviews by Reneejane:
3.18/5  rDev -18.3%

I can say I wasn't just the biggest fan of this beer. It needed more maltiness and more malt color as well. The beer was a pale straw color with a white head. It was somewhat cloudy. The aroma and taste was extremely hoppy, definitely grapefruit. The head left lovely lacing. But again, I would have really liked more malt, something to balance the hop wallop it delivers.

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

I picked up this growler a few days ago. It's my friend's band's last show ever tonight so I decided to crack it open and enjoy it before I go.

The first pour into my Bell's tulip gives me a nose full of pine and an eye full of chilled apricot colored liquid with a soapy white finger of head. Fairly dark for an American Pale.

I put my nose to the glass and I smell pine, fresh cut grapefruit, and some bready goodness.

My first sip hits me with some bitter citrus rind, candied grapefruit, and crackery, almost doughy malt. It finishes a little dry. Really, a great beer. This is an IPA in APA clothing.

This won't be my only growler of this and I'll drinking plenty of this great beer at Flossmoor while it lasts.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours hazy/murky copper with a cream colored head into a nonic...not much lacing. Smell is citrus, slight grapefruit, with a nice floral aroma. Taste is great, rivals the neighboring FFF Alpha King. Nice citrus kick, bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium, perfect carbonation. A really good pale ale that I would drink often if available by me. I might actually like this better then Alpha King...dunno.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

64oz Growler
$12
Flossmoor Station

Farewell Pale Ale shows off a hazy but glowing orange body. The head grew slowly to one finger and left behind thick swathes of brilliant white lacing down the glass. Tiny carbonation bubbles rise slowly to the surface. As I get further into each glass the lacing comes in sheets.

The nose has a great, toasty white bread malt backbone with an overload of citric hoppiness. Brown sugar coated pink grapefruit and orange peel steal the spotlight while notes of tangerine waft along in the background. A little caramel comes along to supplement the gentle toastiness and make this is a well rounded smelling pale ale.

I find the majority of pale ales out there ho-hum and boring; Farewell on the other hand is bright and vibrant. The malt base some across more caramelly than the nose suggested with the toast moving to the back of the line. The hop profile of this beer leaps from the glass and is barely restrained. Sugared grapefruit and sweet oranges abound with a slight tangerine note that fits perfectly into place. A solid bitterness washes over the tongue and lips with each drink, very impressive for a mere pale ale.

The mouthfeel fits the beer well with a surprisingly soft and silky feel. The carbonation keeps things moving as the bitterness tap dances all over the tongue. The finish is slightly dry which accentuates the bitterness some.

The drinkability is out of this world. Each pint goes down like a glass of water. Alpha King, watch out, you have company on the American pale ale front.

This is one of, if not the, best pale ale I've had to date. Like I said above, it gives Alpha King a run for its money and that is the best I've had to date. This is a gem and I sincerely hope to see it brewed again.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Big thanks to Dave (d0b) for bringing the remnants of a growler from Matt's going-away party. I'm gonna cut it some slack in appearance, because the growler got shook up quite a bit.

A - Not a ton of foam - just a dime of egg-white that dissipated pretty quick. Murky but pretty apricot color. However, based on some of the other pours from the growler, I know that this generally has a fair bit more foam.

S - Fresh citrus hoppiness - tons of orange and grapefruit flavor. There's some toffeed malts in the background, but this is really unbalanced if they consider if an APA. It's really terrific nonetheless.

T - This brew loses something in the taste department - it's a lot more bitter than I expected and has a lot of lemon and pine. Not what I'd expect from an APA at all - if it'd been an IPA I wouldn't have thought twice about it. There's some caramel hints in the background. The aftertaste isn't overly strong, but it's all bitterness.

M - Thinner than I like - I think the obvious loss in carbonation has brought this down a notch. Very creamy and refreshing. Some nice residual stickiness.

D - The bitterness would kind of wear me down, but otherwise it's a really easy-drinking APA (IPA?). Interesting choice for a going-away beer.

Farewell Pale Ale from Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.