Freshly Überhopped (During Our Boil) - Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

Freshly Ãœberhopped (During Our Boil)Freshly Ãœberhopped (During Our Boil)

Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

Metallic purple or rose wax.
August 2009 release.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-19-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Reviewed from notes. Had this on tap a few days after I heard about it, back when I was in Chicago and could do such things.

Pours a slightly-dark orange color with a white head that recedes fairly quickly, especially considering how many hops are likely added to this one. Nose has some bright citrus aromas that really pop along with a bit of malt. The citrus doesn't quite carry over to the taste. While it's fairly bitter, the fresh hop kick and flavor that I was expecting isn't there and it's actually a bit malty. Drinks fairly well overall, but isn't a killer DIPA.

3.43/5  rDev -19.7%

Thanks Schmittymack for sharing this one at another awesome tasting. Poured from the bomber a somewhat hazy medium golden color with a scant head. Still some decent hoppy aromas and flavors, although they are (obviously) somewhat faded. Still an enjoyable beer.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Pours cloudy orange with a thin head.

S: Boldly hopped. Nice aromas of fresh citrus, caramel, and toast.

T: Malty backbone. Hints of caramel and light brown sugar. The hops provide a very fresh orange juice type flavor. Waves of sweet pine can be picked up along with hints of bitterhops in the finish.

M: Medium in body, smooth, nicely balanced.

D: Very good, real tasty IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Waxed bomber via trade from boothbeer, poured into a Lost Abbey tumbler glass.

Pours a clear golden-amber color with a lasting white head and great lacing.

Aroma is pine and citrus hops as well as a little caramel. Hops are pretty intense.

Flavor is both really hoppy and malty. This is really not so freshly uberhopped, since it's got quite a bit of age on it by now. However you really don't get that "not so fresh feeling" from it. This is still really good, although the hops have mellowed out a bit for sure. Crystal and pale malts as well as grapefruity and piney hops.

Medium-full and mildly syrupy on the palate with lots of hop oils. Not at all boozy, but you can tell from the maltiness that this is a strong one.

Drinkability is very high, and I had no problem polishing off (that is, drinking, not actually polishing) the bomber off in a little over half the time it took me to watch "March of the Penguins." Overall a nice IIPA, even past prime. Oh yeah, and FU d0b.

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 22 oz bottle, received mid-November from Pecorasc (thx, Sam!). Poured to a pint glass. Bottle is the typically excellent-looking Flossmoor IPA bottle, with a rose wax that drips trailing tendrils even more dramatically than shown in the photo above.

A: Early pours are golden/honey-orange with a fine foggy haze; later pours are much more murky, a deeper auburn. When clearer, a fair number of small bubble streams race upward to a slow-to-fall finger of ivory creamy. Terrific lace, long draping sheets.

S: Citrus aroma drifts aimlessly from the glass, a sort of 'orange scone' bready sweetness. More sniffs find pine scent and non-descript 'green-ness': herbs, grasses, and clover.

T: Upfront has a surprising biscuit-y maltiness, then green hops that blend fresh mint, sage, parsley and any number of milder plants that showcase both sweetness and peppered dryness. Enough citrus, too, in the form of more orange and the lightest pink grapefruit. Less pine/evergreen than expected, but the end result is about as well-balanced an IPA as I've found.

M: Has a cooling, even calming, smoothness. Mellow creaminess, mild carbonation, building cheek draw and sweeter grain coating that lasts and lasts. Bitterness held in check.

D: Whaaa...??? Seriously, 9.6%ABV?!?!? Unbelievably easy to drink, a dangerous rendition that seems to be a much more benign 6%-er. Honestly had no idea of the strength while tasting/review-writing until logging onto BA to begin typing. I know this is a one-time offering and it's only my second from Flossmoor, but FUDOB has got to rank among the best DIPAs I've tried in a long, long time. So well done, and one I'd love to have a time machine for to garner a few more of. Highly recommended!

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

I like the idea of the brewers whim - it seems the way it should be and the way it definitely was in the beginning. But.. there's a reason why brewers started to create the same brews over and over - people like to buy what they know they like from time to time. We'll see if this one makes me sad that it isn't brewed continually. This will be my first Flossmoor brew ever. What was I thinking? I keep meaning to head out there.

The bottle is the vintage Flossmoor look with a nice red brown wax on top. I think they classify the color as metallic purple or rose. The 1pt 6oz bottle poured a murky amber color liquid with a soft bubbly yellowy white half finger head. Even with the head dissipating to a ring, it started leaving great fine lacing. I got more aggressive with the second pour and got a bigger head and slightly better head retention because of it.

The nose is a lovely fresh grassy, citrus and pine. So good I wanted it to be stronger. There's definitely some malt coming through but the overall takeaway is a centennial type profile - very much grapefruit for me.

The taste starts with a sweet caramel accompanied by a slightly disappointing citrus overlay - a bit weak. It then moves into the resiny, grassy hop realm and ends up with a piney bite that stays with you all the way through the aftertaste. As the drink warmed, the citrus became more pleasing. Nice grapefruit. This brew hits it's peak when warmed up a bit. It went from a good beer to a great beer IMHO.

The body is medium. It feels pretty creamy and smooth. The carbonation is pretty low - just enough to give it some energy. Carbonation is soft on the palate but the piney bite gets you in a good way of course.

This is a great beer that leaves me with three thoughts:
- I really need to get out to Flossmoor Station
- I need to try more Flossmoor bottled beers
- It's sad that this beer may never be made again

BTW, it drank like an IPA - not a DIPA. I didn't know it was 9.6 ABV, so it took me by surprise a wee bit. All aboard!

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Graciously sent to me after I had begged to try it for so long, I reached for this one as soon as I got home the other day. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 12/07/2009.

The pour was near perfect with a rich amber color and smooth, subtly building head of pure white. Capping off near two inches and cascading down the sides. Nice carbonation coming up from the bottom now as well, really nicely put together I have to admit. Now it starts to warm so I lean in, ripe citrus notes are coming through from the very beginning. Just wonderful aroma here, sharp, biting grapefruit and pineapple now as it warms really starting to take over, no balance here at all, none needed as this was going to be a mouth shredder. Smooth, medium body and carbonation really let it flow now. Each sip is puckering to the lips and sublime in taste. Rich grapefruit flavor, sharp and biting with a smooth, dry aftertaste that really just catches you right where you need to be. Near perfect example here of the style as the last sips slowly drain from the glass I can feel myself wishing there was just a touch more.

Overall I am very glad I was able to try this one, easily one of the best I have had from Flossmoor to date. They knew what they were doing with this one for sure.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Thanks once again to Dave for another one of the Flossmoor IPAs! Had this on 10/2 with a couple buddies. From notes.

Semi cloudy dark golden color. Spotty lacing after a few sips. Off-white head leaves a film.

Smells a bit faded, and could use a bit more dry hopping maybe. Citrusy and piney hops. Tropical Fruits. Nice combination going on here. Simcoe?

Taste begins with a moderate bitterness, follows the aroma. Some caramel malts hiding in the background. Finishes with herbal hops.

Drinkabililty is stellar. I had written down 4.5 in my notes, but after realizing that this is 9.6%, I had to bump it up. Really? I could've put this one back alone easily. Nice!

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to dukedevil0.

This must be what people talk about when they speak of flossmoor. I've heard how they've gone downhill and I wasn't too impressed with the Hophuffer, but then, this sweet long legged FU DOB walked into my life.

So FU d0b! no head, dark hue, citrus, sticky, sweet, bready, subdued, citrus, excellent. That's all I wrote because sometimes less is more. Great beer.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

[Thanks a million to GbVDave for this bottle.] Hate to remove that classy-looking wax, but it's what's inside that we're here for... Forget "hazed," this awesomely-named beer pours a murky, cloudy, pea-soup fogged tangerine color, sporting an inch-high head of creamy sea-foam. My mouth is already watering...

Given the big ABV and name, I figured the aroma would be bigger. To these nostrils, it "only" smells like a well-made, well-hopped IPA (think Two-Hearted, Huma Lupa Licious, et al.). Good balance of orange and grapefruit flesh and the bitterness of their rinds, with a bready/caramel-y sweetness arising from the malt. Nothing as over-the-top as style, ABV and name hint at, but it's quite fine enough.

Flavor immediately delivers a big blast of young, tart orange/grapefruit, a swell zip of brown sugar and cinnamon, a hint of mint, and a sweet malt base that isn't even thick or gooey enough to recall caramel or toffee...more like neutral/mellow doughnut batter or cookie dough. It's all about the hops of course, and they're up-front, bountiful and bright, not over-the-top but enormous in character. Bitterness and spice wrestle nicely in the finish.

Something thicker and chewier would've blasted FUDOB into the stratoshere...as is, it's got a subtle carbonation tingle, and firm roundness in its medium body. Only mildly sticky, which keeps the experience neat and clean.

A wonderful double IPA which does all the right things with the hops. Somehow--probably due to the subtle mouthfeel (relative to other hugely-hopped DIPAs)--it remains extremely drinkable. If you dig loads of hops but want balance and accessibility at the same time, here you go. Thanks again, Dave!

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Purple wax, sent by a local BA. Hazy in appearance, blood orange with super fluffy head. Off-white, with ringed lacing already sticking to the sides. Very bubbly, cloud-like. Gorgeous.

Aroma of orange Gatorade powder, woody, leather, dense navel orange. Quite dense and herbal, deep citrus waafs.

Dry and bitter on the nose, with a distinct maltiness. Sourdough pretzel, rye bread. Big and hoppy in the middle, with lots of grapefruit tartness. Actually, really big and heavy. Dry on the finish, with a side of woody rye toast. Pretty dense across the board. Spicy hoppy vs dense pretzel malty.

Tartly bitter on the finish and dry. Quite drinkable for a big beer...had no idea she was 9.6% until just now.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Adam for another Flossmoor brew, 22oz pink-waxed bomber, poured into a tulip.

Pours a hazy orangish amber with a big fluffy white head that sticks generously to the glass on the way down and leaves a rocky cap that lasts for a while.

Big juicy citrus up front in the nose with oranges and especially grapefruit coming out aggressively. There is enough malty sweetness to be noticed but doesn't get in the way of the big hop profile.

The taste is aggressively hopped but seems to be sweeter than the aroma would indicate with the oranges and pineapple being more prevalent than the grapefruit. The malt backbone is stronger as well and the finish is more floral in nature, slightly dry, but not overpoweringly bitter.

The mouthfeel is on the fuller side of things and exceptionally smooth, going down so easy despite the ABV and full body. The carbonation is fairly soft and leads to a creamy mouthfeel, especially for the style.

This is an excellent beer and one of the better Flossmoor IPAs I've had. The drinkability is fantastic for a DIPA and I wish I had a few more of these.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

22oz bomber sealed with metallic purple wax. Received in a trade from GbVDave. Thanks bro! Served in a shaped pint glass and split with BA infestaxion.

A: 1/2 finger white head. Gone in a flash. Clear, orange red pour. Some small, beady lacing with a ring around the top of the glass.

S: Nice, citrusy notes on the front end. Orange, grapefruit and pineapple. Some sweetness sneaks in a little, but not too much. A slight bit of booziness along with some pine.

T: Big, tongue smacking hops hit right of the bat. Much like the smell, there's plenty of citrus notes and grassy pine. Sweet malts come in and match up perfectly with the hoppy bite. Finish is fairly dry with a slight bitterness.

M: Medium bodied, but drinks very thick and sticky. Carbonation is low, but perfect for the style. Just like I like my DIPA's.

D: The almost 10% ABV is hidden very well. The 10oz or so I had was gone very quickly.

Nice to finally try the beer named after my homie d0b! FU indeed... Haha. Overall a very nice brew from Flossmoor. Reminiscent of some of their other great Brewer's Whim offerings. I think some of the hops have faded slightly, but it was still quite tasty.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Man have I been craving hops. I got this one from wilwfu who is a great trader!

A: Somewhat cloudy and the color of caramel with plenty of carbonation rushing from the bottom of the glass and a one inch thick foam head with tightly packed bubbles. The foam lingers for a few minutes on top leaving a very thick ring of lace behind.

S: I could smell the hops as soon as I opened the bottle! Fresh cut pine and juicy citrus fruit. A nice hint of malty sweetness is also detectable and pleasant.

T: A monsterous amount of pine and grapefruit notes, yet it is not overwhelmingly bitter. It finishes much more citrusy than expected. No booziness at all.

M: Rich and creamy. No booziness and nothing harsh at all. Very pleasurable to sip on. The balance between hops and sweetness is very good

D: Way to easy to drink but one bomber should suffice. Definitely a beer I could go back to over and over again

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Murky dark amber. About a finger and a half of bubbly, light tan head. Some very heavy lacing at the beginning, dying off to nothing by the end of the glass. Also some very, very fine dark brown sediment.

S: Pine and grapefruit. Peppery, spicy hops.

T: Aggressive spicy pine character which fades to a grapefruit bitterness that develops over the next few seconds and then lingers around for a while. Some caramel malt backbone. This beer offers a big punch of hop flavor in ever sip.

M: Medium weight with decent carbonation. Bitterness almost to the point of astringency.

D: No problems for anyone looking for a assertively bitter, hop forward DIPA. However, considering all the noise concerning the beer and its cost, I'm not sure its worth the fuss.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Served in a pint glass at Flossmoor Station 8/26/09.

A: Served a slightly chill hazed pale gold color. Capped with two fingers of dense eggshell colored foam that left a thick lattice-like coating of lace all over the inside of the glass.

S: Pine, pine, and more pine. This beer absolutely stinks of pine! Pine cone, pine tar, pine sap, cut pine bough, whatever. Smells like a cut your own Christmas tree farm.

T: See above with toasty malt, hints of citrus, pineapple, caramel, and cut grass. As it warms further, white pepper and mango start to step out from behind the piney curtain.

M: Oily, spicy, and so incredibly sticky. Coats like paint...pine paint! Slightly dry astringency in the finish.

D: I sat there at the bar and almost shed a tear just contemplating the absolute awesomeness of this beer. I'm sorry I drove and didn't take the train there that night...actually my liver thanked me profusely!

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

22oz Wax Sealed bottle poured into a tulip

a BIG thanks goes out to lurchingbeast for the bottle

A- Pours a cloudy translucent golden orange color. A vigorous pour produce almost a finger of creamy white head that settled a little bit but stuck around the whole time lacing the glass as it empties

S- This was by far my favorite part of the beer. There must have been some great late hop additions to achieve an aroma this pleasent. The citrus comes out so strong all I could say was WOW! and handed it to my buddy, saying you have got to get a whiff of this.

T- the citrus doesn't come in nearly as strong in the flavor. but it does blend perfect with a very pleasent malt backround. both the flavors linger together creating an awesome mixture. the bitterness is definitely there, too. it isn't overwhelming, which I enjoy. overall a fantastic combination of hop and malt profiles

M- I can't deduct much in the mouthfeel dept. The carbonation is the only thing that really stands out, maybe a little too much. It did have an exceptional creaminess to it for a IIPA. So definitley enjoyable.

D- I had no problem taking down a bomber of this, minus a couple sips donated to a drinking buddy. This 9.6 ABV is so well hidden it's dangerous. I could definitely drink WAY too much of this.

I hope I get the opportunity to try another Flossmoor IPA in the future. I will definitely seek more out in the future

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally tracked this down after the gravy train rolled through town and I missed it. 2nd bomber of the night, first was shared at a buddy's art show with some exquisite lengua tacos.

Dense white foam that leaves a dripping halo around the edge. Dark opaque orange with floaties throughout. A nice skim that hangs out for the whole glass. Poured into a 20 oz. glass it looks like an IPA with fortitude.

Dank and resinous, leafy hops and grapefruit. Very pungent and lovely all around. Sips are sweet and resinous, mild bitterness but full of explosive hop flavor. Dry and bitter grapefruit pith in the aftertaste. Some spice and toffee peek through, all very balanced, with a medium level of carbonation. This is manageable in sips or gulps, but i'd advise slowly savoring it.

An IIPA that silences the naysayers, and exalts Mr. Shimkos into the heavenly hop firmament among the stars above.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

22oz bottle, scooped at armanetti's in chicago a week ago

appearance: muddy-purple wax with a smiley face engraved on the cap (hmm) - served in an unmarked chalice, murky copper body, frothy webbed lacing

smell: aggressively hopped as usual, tropical, citrus, tea-like hops, sweet sugary malt.

taste: flossmoor IPA's are all relatively consistent when consumed fresh, even with the brewer switch. Another aggressively hopped ipa with the boozyness turned up a bit from the previous few - flavor is drive by bitter grapefruit, tea, tropical fruit, bitter citrus peel. Only purchased one bottle and it appears to have sold fast - i look forward to the next installment

mouthfeel: sticky oily hops, moderate-high bitterness, coating with moderate alcohol heat

drinkability: good

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Special thanks to Adam (Vav) at Sam's Wines for setting a bottle aside for me! Special thanks to the namesake, Dave (d0b) for being super critical of Flossmoor Station and driving them to make this beer (or if they had already planned on it, naming it after Dave!)

A: Pours a mostly golden yellow with some orange tints depending on how you look at it. About two fingers of white colored head formed and quickly settled down to a thin layer of bubbles while lacing the glass beautfully.

S: Scents of grapefruit, citrus, light pine, grassy, floral, some candi sweet malt presence in the background. There's not a big hop bomb smell with lots of intensity, but what is there smells very good.

T: The taste definitely takes up the intensity notch a bit. Flavors consist initially of grapefruity, sweet hops, light pine follwed by some sweet malt, candi sugar type tastes and then finishing off with a nice solid bitterness. The flavors are intense, but this is more balanced I than I would have hoped. I want ALL HOPS! Still tastes really good though.

M: Mouthfeel on Flossmoor IPAs are always great, and this one is just slightly below what I'm used to from them (if only I could give 4.25). It's full bodied for sure, but doesn't quite have the thickness from carbonation as their others. It's just slightly thin for me coming out of the bottle.

D: Very highly drinkable here. The flavor is solid and you can't taste any alcohol. The 9.6% ABV is very well hidden even though you can tell while drinking that this is a bigger beer. The more balanced nature of this DIPA helps in the drinkability department as well and the bitterness not being so overpowering doesn't kill your palate.

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Very lucky to have tried this. Brought back from a friend in Chicago. Poured from a 22 oz. burgundy wax capped bomber into a wine glass. Fresh batch.

A- Pours a golden yellow. A bit of amber hues in between. Produced a thin, white soapy head that dissipated rather quickly.

S- Wow. The aroma is ridiculous. The malt background adds a unique aroma to this beer. A combination of citrus fruit with a tea bagged like quality. If you had tea bagged furious you would know what I'm talking about. I could sniff this one all day long.

T- Fresh hops and a balanced nature tell the story. This beer is a perfect meld between a west coast and east coast IPA. Had a nice off-centered balance with malts galore, but still plenty of citrus goodness to go around. Finished with a fantastic fresh hop bitterness. Really enjoyed the interaction between the hops and malts in this beer.

M- Had a medium mouthfeel. Plenty of carbonation. Left a wonderful, wet hops bitterness on the palate.

D- This one was just plain ridiculous. So easy to drink. Wish I had more.

Overall, I tend to lean towards west coast IPA/DIPA's with the huge citrus fruit flavors. However, as a more balanced approach to this style, this works perfectly. When it comes to IPA/DIPA's, Flossmoor should be up there with the best of them. Can't wait to have more tomorrow... :^)

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

On-tap @ Flossmoor into nonic.

A - Pours a hazy dark yellow/golden color with a white head. A good amount of lacing along the sides of the glass hang around as the head settles down.

S - Hoppy bitterness, citrus, some sweet malty notes as well. Not quite as hoppy as I was expecting, but it's there and not too shy so I can't complain too much.

T - Lots citrus and bitterness right up front followed by some light malt with a bitter/oily finish. Pretty in-your-face, hence Uberhopped. Alcohol is there, but I wouldn't say all 9.6%.

M - Light to medium bodied, very clean, smooth, and refreshing. Carbonation is right-on, not too fuzzy but there when you roll it around in your mouth.

D - Im going to order another after this but gotta watch the ABV.

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Heard about this beer through the grapevine and on the brewery blog, was headed out to Champaign and Flossmoor was on the way so stopped by for a pint but never thought I'd be walking away from this place with a growler of this stuff.

A: Cracked the seal and only a little hiss of escaping carbonation sneaks out, maybe not the tightest seal but a strong pour from a height yields an inch and a half worth of lighter than air, creamy white head. Beer is lighter than I would have expected, a hazy golden yellow, there are pale ales darker than this, there are a few pilsners as well I would imagine. Leaves some nice lattice work lacing as the head bubbles down to a cap and stays there.

S: This is about as fresh a beer as I've ever had, two days since the keg was tapped I believe. It's almost as though I'd never smelled a DIPA before, an absolute hop monster and FRESH to boot. Very, very fruity but also quite dry. Apricot, peach, pear, honey, and pine all work to define an incredibly complex and layered hop aroma. Yet behind all this lies a massive dose of sweet, brown sugary, bready maltiness. Nothing is heavy here, everything is crisp and snappy, it's a DIPA but doesn't flaunt it.

T/MF: Didn't think this is the first word that would have come to my mind after smelling this beer for a good ten minutes, but gosh darn if this beer isn't nutty. That's what I'm picking up here though, nutty pine, caramel sweetness but backed by a resiny, medicol and above all, dry and tart, fruitiness. The balance this beer displays is phenomenal, to be able to detect any malt in such a fresh and hoppy beast is an accomplishment but to get all that I'm picking up in this particular beer is nothing less than astonishing. If only this beer didn't just strip off all the enamel on my teeth I might try and find some more positive things to say about it. The mouthfeel after a day in the growler with a loose-ish seal I think took down some of the prickliness that I didn't like about the beer when I had it on tap, now it almost feels like a cask ale, soft and light on the tongue, inviting sip after glorious sip.

D: This was really something else, a beer drinking experience I haven't had in quite a while. I've had some DIPAs in my time and taking into account some of my inflated earlier reviews, this beer is a prime candidate for my top DIPAs of all time (at least the one's I've had the pleasure of sampling). To know how close this beer is to me and the possibility of getting another growler filled has me feeling positively giddy. Wonderful beer from an amazing brewery.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

On tap at the brewpub. Served in a nonic pint glass.

Golden clear liquid with a finger of white head.

The nose is full of soapy, oily hops. Not quite the hopbomb I had envisioned. Sweet malts try to hold ground.

The taste is sweet and it's throwing me for a loop. I was expecting a dank, bitter, tounge buckling DIPA. This is sweet and floral, almost delicate. The bitterness kicks in during the aftertaste. The alcohol is catching up to me big time, if I didn't know this was almost a 10%abv beer I would have never picked up on it.

Mouthfeel is a bit slick and well carbonated.

This is quite an interesting DIPA from Flossmoor. Not what I expected, but I was pleasantly surprised.

p.s. You suck Dave! ;)

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Freshly Überhopped (During Our Boil) from Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery