.357 Imperial Pilsner - Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

.357 Imperial Pilsner.357 Imperial Pilsner

Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  12.00% ABV

"Go ahead. Make our day. Open up this bottle of .357 and enjoy this beer with THREE different malts, FIVE hop varieties (of course we used Magnum), and lagered SEVEN weeks. Ride off into the sunset with this in your holster!"

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 04-29-2010)
Reviews by womencantsail:
womencantsail

3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Bottle shared by the ever "generous" t0rin0 (thanks for the tick, Bobby). Does Flossmoor have a wax fetish? Seems like they wax every single beer that they bottle.

A: The pour is a clear golden yellow/straw color with a somewhat short lived white head.

S: Nose is plenty sweet, to the point of being sugary, in fact. A decent floral and citrusy hop aroma that gives some lemon and orange notes.

T: I suppose the imperial portion only referred to the alcohol/sugar content and not the hops. This is like drinking alcoholic apple juice with a touch of citrus flavor.

M: The body is somewhat heavy for a pilsner (even if it is imperialized). Medium in terms of carbonation.

D: Too sweet for my tastes. I like a good crisp pilsner, and this did not fit the bill. Imperial Pils seems like a really hard style to pull off, because I've only had one or two good ones.

08-09-2010 02:08:51 | More by womencantsail
glid02

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Bottle shared by Dan - thanks!

Pours a very hazy golden color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of moderately sweet pilsner malts with good amounts of orange peel and floral aromas. Also present are hints of indistinct spiciness.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Smooth pilsner malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by sugar-dusted citrus hops. Also present are hints of earthy hops and breadiness underlying everything. Faint hints of grassiness come into play midway through the sip, fading out into a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a heavy thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass without any problems and could have another.

Overall I enjoyed this beer and it's aged nicely for a style that doesn't always do so. Worth a shot.

04-03-2011 00:23:22 | More by glid02
rhoadsrage

4.15/5  rDev +26.9%

(Served in a chalice)
A- This beer has a crystal clear orange body with a thick creamy light beige head and a bubbly gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles and a white lacing.
S- The green hop cologne is full and fragrant. There is a spicy pale malt note with a faint minty not to the hops.
T- Sweet malty pale with a soft fruity note that leads to a green pungent hop finish with a sweet cinnamon quality and a minty note. The bitter hop bite lingers after the finish.
M- The medium mouthfeel has a soft fizz note with a warm soft note of alcohol.
D- This is a good white barleywine, I know I made a new style up, or Belgian Strong Pale Ale not a Imp. Pilsner. The sweet malty flavors have a nice hop support but the hop bite is a bit to much. No real lager qualities but it doesn't need it. This should be a nice beer to age.

07-14-2010 13:54:32 | More by rhoadsrage
nickd717

3.13/5  rDev -4.3%

On tap at Flossmoor Station pre-DLD.

Pours a slightly hazy straw color with a one-finger white head and some lacing.

Decent aroma - very sweet pale malt and grain along with a nice complex hop profile.

Flavor falls a bit flat. It's a bit underattenuated with very sweet pale malt dominating. There are some grassy and citrusy hop notes, but overall the balance is just not really there.

Medium-bodied and sweet on the palate with average carbonation level. The hop kick is not as big as I'd like.

Overall, wow, the high ratings on this one really surprise me. I thought it blew somewhat hard. I really don't get the hype around Flossmoor. Besides Wooden Hell, nothing I've had from this place has impressed me much.

05-02-2010 20:22:36 | More by nickd717
Kegatron

3.63/5  rDev +11%

22 oz burgundy wax topped bomber poured into an oversized snifter.

Pours a clear coppery gold, which settles into a tight finger of bright-white frothy head. Retention is nice looking here, with a ¾ finger cap of foam that throws a huge cascade of spotty lacing all over the sides of the glass. Bold American hops control the aroma at first, with grass & herbal tones, earth, spice, and a good bit of juicy smelling citrus towards the back of nose. Underneath lies the malts, with a rather beefy feeling layer of grainy toast, buttered biscuits, and warmth. It seems to be pretty even between the hops and malt here and luckily this isn't coming off as too overly warm in the nostrils.

Lots of sweetness here in taste, being full of grainy bread and with a surprising amount coming from the tropical fruit notes of the hops (which honestly is a bit overdone). Speaking of the hops, they definitely have their work cut out for them against that wall of sweetness. Earthy and spicy bitterness tries valiantly to keep up and does for the most part when this was cooler but as the profile warms up, all of that malty and fruity sweetness starts to become a bit cloying. This finishes with equal parts sugars and earthy grit, which latches on the tongue and can be hard to shake out of the mouth. The feel is full and thick in the mouth and I was definitely getting much more crispness to the body when this was served cold but room temp brings about a more viscid and sticky feel as all of that saccharine sweetness emerges. You know, there is naturally a good bit of warmth to the body but I never do get any kind of alcohol burn from the ABV and I must say that this is far less boozier than a LOT of other beers that I've had near 12% or even much less.

Well this certainly packed a punch and with a beer this extreme for the style, you have to know going in that there's going to be a good bit of warmth and sweetness going on with it. What impressed me however was just how well it kept its balance on the cooler side (I couldn't believe just how fast I was working through my first glass of the bomber) and even when it warmed, the alcohol never did become a huge problem. This bottle was a little much for me to nurse over the course of a couple of hours but I'd definitely recommend serving this on the chillier side and splitting it with a buddy or two. This wasn't NEARLY the mess that I was afraid it might end being. For what it is, this was a solid effort from Bryan & Crew.

04-29-2010 14:18:14 | More by Kegatron
alleykatking

Indiana

1.63/5  rDev -50.2%

Had this on tap as it's back on the Flossmoor beer sign.

A- Poured a deep hazed golden yellow color. Half finger white head shows poor retention. No lace left on the sides of the glass but showed some legs.

S- Tons of alcohol all throughout the aroma. It never really dies down and goes strong right off the get go. Light earthy hops in the ending aroma get cut off by the alcohol. The rest of the beer smells like wet grain with a hint of biscuit but mostly wet grain.

T- Well hello there big burst of alcohol in the front! This beer is hot...it was hot the first time they brewed it and it's hot this time as well. Alcohol in the front dominated a grainy like pilsner malt. Wet grain toward the middle with the alcohol heat dying a little. Ending shows the grains coming out once again with a backdrop of drity hops. Alcohol comes in once again and crushes any flavor that was there. Fuck this beer is hot!

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Alcohol and wet grain are left on the palate and the alcohol is pretty much the only thing I can taste long into the aftertaste. Flavors were underbalanced but it would be hard to tell I think with all the alcohol flavor. No real off flavors just freaking hot beer. Heavy alcohol drying on the palate with each sip.

O- This beer was not good at all. Not a horrible beer I think if the heat were to die down. As of now though this is just a boozy mess. I've heard some good things about this in the bottle but I don't think this one should be had on tap ever...

06-12-2011 03:24:33 | More by alleykatking
emerge077

10-25-2013 16:25:19 | More by emerge077
VeganUndead

3.5/5  rDev +7%

05-11-2014 05:06:36 | More by VeganUndead
KDawg

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

this was poured from draft and poured a nice head

Balanced and aromatic with tones of malts, hops, oranges and some heat (in an alcoholic way)

medium/full bodied with a lot more malty tones but also some booziness as well

This was definitely showing the 12%, but it wasn't like I was drinking an extremely alcoholic beer. While there was a boozy quality to it, it wasn't overdone and on the whole a very good beer

09-19-2011 01:41:57 | More by KDawg
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.98/5  rDev -8.9%

Bottle: Poured a clear bright golden color pilsner with a large white foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma consists of sweet malt with some warming alcohol that can be easily identifiable. Taste is also dominated by loads of sweet notes with light dry hops notes not as clearly identifiable as expected. Body is quite full with somewhat of an oily texture and some good carbonation with too much alcohol that is perceptible though. This beer was too sweet for my own personal taste and with a bit too much boozy notes coming through.

04-08-2013 18:28:27 | More by Phyl21ca
enelson

2.5/5  rDev -23.5%

12-28-2011 13:30:38 | More by enelson
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.08/5  rDev -5.8%

amber color coming through very clearly. Nice notes of white coming over the top of the beer, with a settling down of the head into a subtle side glass profile. Nice carbonation could be seen coming up from the bottom of the glass as well.

The aroma was very light. Nice touches of citrus popping up throughout the profile. A definite touch of alcohol was visible from the very first whiff though, letting me know this one was going to be strong, and settling me back in the chair a bit I have to say. Light grains coming through now as it starts to warm up, the taste was very crisp, clean and transparen

12-10-2011 15:31:03 | More by mikesgroove
FreshmanPour77

11-18-2011 18:54:24 | More by FreshmanPour77
ommegoose

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Steep price on this one, so let's hope it's worth it.

Pours into a tulip, slightly hazy gold. Slightly foamy ring around the glass. Actually held a cap for a fairly long time even though the abv is so high. Last pour actually contained some sediment that clouded up the beer just a bit.

Citric aroma. Mainly lemon. Sugar. Some somewhat richer malt, like toffee or light caramel. Tropical fruit. Doesn't really recall a pilsner in the aroma, but it's pretty pleasing.

Lemony. Some crispness from hops, but mainly it's too syrupy for that. I was wondering how this would end up different than an IIPA, but the hop profile does seem pilsnery. It's just the malt that's super beefed up. Not sure why this needed to be 12% rather than just 8 or 9. I have a high tolerance for sweet beers, but I can see why some people would find this overbearing. Hop bitterness is low and found mainly in grassy, peppery notes. More hops would be good. Super malty beer. Was very clean at first, but starts to develop darker notes, like slightly toasty caramel. Starts to resemble a pale barleywine as it warms as it just can't maintain the crispness and bite that a good pilsner would have. I would not buy another bomber of this, but if I had a chance to have a 6 oz. glass or so I would give it another go.

The feel is good. Carbonation is a little too low. Could use more to offset the syrupy character. Certainly is viscous.

It's really hot, but that always stops being an issue after a few ounces. Not hard to drink a bomber over a long enough session, but it's a bit much for a Monday. It makes a good enough argument for being an imperial pilsner. Closest reference points are probably Southern Tier's Krampus and Farmer's Tan, and it's probably in the same league as those in terms of quality. All beers I was hoping for a lot more from. Obviously there are awesome eisbocks and doppelbocks out there, but I'm still waiting to be wowed by pale imperial lagers.

07-13-2010 04:52:00 | More by ommegoose

2.5/5  rDev -23.5%

01-10-2012 08:01:35 | More by ygtbsm94
Thorpe429

3.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Thanks to Paul [insert inappropriate word here] Lunch for bringing this brew to the FW tasting. Rocked this one out in a Captain Lawrence tulip. Should have pulled out my Flossmoor pint glass just to irk Paul after he showed me up by bringing a FW mini-snifter and coaster.

Pours a clear golden color with an average white head that diminished pretty quickly, leaving behind sparse spotty lacing. The nose had an average amount of bread and straw plus some light floral and herbal hops. The flavor was no different, hitting some grains and then dosing on the hops. 12%? No way. Mouthfeel gets a bump for those heroics. Pretty decent, though fairly plain. Medium body with a bitter, dry finish.

05-25-2011 01:06:35 | More by Thorpe429
faernt

4.3/5  rDev +31.5%

What a session beer this is ! I had it with a Reuben sandwich. It really paired well. Flossmoor Station does well with food. The people I was with remarked on the hoppiness of this one. I took the malt smells, but must admit to enjoying the hops. Big beer does pair with food. The blah blah of drinking it alone to savor it is crap. Eat and drink...everything gets along with something. Why deny it?

05-11-2010 03:37:43 | More by faernt
Bobbydigi

Kansas

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

03-27-2012 19:15:52 | More by Bobbydigi
AgentZero

2.58/5  rDev -21.1%

A - Golden color with a small white head, a little bit of lacing, not bad looking for the style.

S - Lot of malts here, not caramelly, but a sweet, grainy malt. A bit yeasty, surprising amount of alcohol.

T - This beer drinks way too hot for me, actually felt a burn on a pilsner, not what I wanted, even if it is imperial. Very sugary, also not working for me. Decent amount of grain, but the alcohol and sweetness kills it for me.

M - Moderately carbonated, but I think it's too thick, sticky, and slick for the style, or if nothing else, just not to my liking.

D - Too much alcohol burn, too sweet, very poor drinkability. Would not drink this beer again.

05-21-2010 02:33:48 | More by AgentZero
AleWatcher

2.55/5  rDev -22%

In cracking this waxed bottle, I am surprised to see a spray of beer come forward like a whale's blowhole upon surfacing. No real volume of beer was lost, it was but a small mist.

This brew is dark golden with an almost brownish hue, like apple cider. The head was less than 2 fingers before it settled to a very thin cap of white bubbles-- some big and fluffy-- some small and tight. The lacing, however, is clinging to the side of my pint glass with great vengeance and furious anger.

The taste is hugely sweet. Just a slight hint of bitterness on the finish, but then it reverts to this saccharine sugar sweetness. It isn't quite cloying, but it is certainly on a train bound for that destination. Perhaps it's just too early into my glass to tell for sure. The claim is that 5 different hops were used-- but only 3 malts. I think only 3 malts were used, but in a much larger, inordinate proportion to the hops. This is all malt sweetness. Even the punch of the lagering yeast (lagered for 7 weeks!!) is lost in the sticky syrupy sweetness. The mouthfeel is pretty good, and at least for me, it is the only way to know the hops were really used. The oiliness does coat my teeth, but it leaves a lingering candied sugar flavor behind with it.

As for dinkability-- I'm not even through with my first glass and I'm getting a stomach ache. There is a big part of me that doesn't want to finish this bomber--- and that's a real shame. The malts remind me of a barleywine-- sweet caramel and a slight toffee flavor blend with the pilsener malt and possibly some Vienna malt to just stick the sweetness right in your face and hold it there.

As this warms I get some actual graininess and the mouthfeel begins to feel slightly chalky. The nose has never really come around. It started very weak, and has remained as such. I much prefer the Krampus by Southern Tier.

Overall-- this is average at best-- subpar in several categories by my count. This offering is not really typical of the brewery though, and I'll continue to drink their 1492 IPA and my wife will continue to drink their plethora of wheat beers (I think 4 different ones on tap when we were up there).

05-25-2010 01:55:09 | More by AleWatcher
brandoman63

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

11-30-2011 02:09:15 | More by brandoman63
klipper

01-07-2012 00:26:28 | More by klipper
Sideswipe

2.55/5  rDev -22%

22oz bottle courtesy of AleWatcher. Thanks Jeff!

A- Pours a deep golden color with a two finger head of dense white foam. Head recedes leaving a thin white coaster and decent lacing.

S- Smells sweet with a hint of citrus. I'm also getting alcohol and green apple.

T- Starts out hot and sweet. Wow. More like a barleywine than a pilsner. Huge caramel malt presence mid-palate backed up with more booze and and a slightly bitter hoppiness. Finish is semi-dry and sweet with a lingering booozy aftertaste.

M- Big and sticky describes the body of this brew. Carbonation is on the low side lending a creamy texture that works well with a beer of this gravity. ABV is conspicuously evident throughout.

O- Not what I was expecting from a beer with the word "Pilsner" on the label. As I stated earlier, it seemed more like a barleywine to me. Every aspect of .357 is over the top huge. Glad I had the opportunity but I wouldn't have this one again.

08-18-2011 02:36:41 | More by Sideswipe