Bourbon Barrel Aged Hi-Fi Rye - Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

Bourbon Barrel Aged Hi-Fi RyeBourbon Barrel Aged Hi-Fi Rye

Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Barleywine |  11.00% ABV

Brewed with 56% rye malt and caraway seed, aged 10 months in Woodford Reserve.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 01-11-2011)
4.83/5  rDev +8.5%

A-Medium copper brown color with a nice toffee colored head.

S-Sweet bourbon, vanilla, caramel, toffee and some rye. The smell is great.

T-Wow. This may be the best barleywine I have ever had.Caramel malts, rye spices, vanilla, toffee, oak and perfect bourbon integration. Very complex and it all works.

M-Not much carbonation and a pretty thick, syrupy mouthfeel.

O- awesome, I really hope they decide to brew this one again.

JohnPPutz, Sep 22, 2011

From 22oz bomber to Bruges glass at a small gathering of NoVA BA's on 9/4/11
*From notes

-- Many thanks for sharing this one, Nathan --

A: Lovely ruby brown. A good pour into a moist glass yields a .5 finger head. Minor lacing rims the glass.

S: As expected, it's sweetly fruit forward, with a hearty and generous amount of bourbony goodness encapsulating it. Just fantastic.

T: The bourbon barrel qualities in the beer have gotten to the point which I love, where it starts calming down and mellowing out just enough that the see-saw of flavors is perfectly balanced. The earthy rye come through on the mid, and as it begins pushing back, my palate is overloaded with toasty coconut and vanilla bean. There's a touch of tannin on the finish which dries the palate beautifully.

M: Not as dense as a lot of barleywines I've encountered, and I appreciate how approachable this is. The carbonation and texture here are rich and spot-on, making the brew easy to return to sip after sip.

O: Flossmoor's BA Hi-Fi Rye is fucking awesome. Just a killer American Barleywine. I've never had a keen interest in, or palate for barleywines, but I'll be damned if beers like this don't turn my head and open my eyes. Every component of this wickedly delicious brew come together to create something that I can't wait return to.

Absolutely and without question, this one is worth seeking out.

Rhettroactive, Sep 17, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a nice yellowed brown. Some light tan head a very nice pours. Smells oaky and rye heavy. The beer drinks very nicely. Lots of vanilla and oak. Rye on the tongue. Smooth on the tongue but a bit thin. Pretty darn enjoyable. I definitely enjoy the rye character in this beer

Urbancaver, Aug 25, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -9%

At the time of this review, this is the #3 American barleywine, shared by Thorpe at a small tasting recently, poured into a snifter. Thanks Mike.

Beer is copper to dark brown with a thin lazy head of small white bubbles, low retention, low lacing, low carbonation, about what I expected.

Aroma is strong, rye, nice malt and sweetness, mild liquor and bourbon, moderate levels, smells nice.

Beer is medium bodied and pretty sweet throughout the beer. The liquor character is well integrated into the beer throughout and the finish is a little dry with more hints of rye and some mild bitterness perhaps from some grain. Overall it is a very nice beer, not sure it is a top 3 barleywine but I enjoyed it a lot.

drabmuh, Aug 23, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -12.8%

Thanks to both Mages64 and AleWatcher for getting me bottles of this in separate BIFs. Bottle shared last night at the barrel-aged barleywine tasting. Served in a SAVOR snifter.

Poured a moderate copper-brown color with a small off-white dome that diminished quickly, leaving behind some sparse spotty lacing.

The nose came forward fairly strong with the caraway seeds and rye. Mild undertones of bourbon along with light caramel. Toffee there as well. Not too complex, but nice. The flavor was a bit better with the bourbon coming out more and the caraway and rye falling into a smaller percentage of the perceivable characteristics. Mildly sweet.

Medium body with light carbonation, still appropriate for the style. Light booze and a bit of caraway and rye spice. Pretty good, but not my favorite of the night.

Thorpe429, Aug 21, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -18.4%

22oz bomber into a snifter

A: Pours a dark brown with a nice tan head that fades to a big ring leaving some lacing on the glass. Like the regular version it pours thick as hell like syrup but it's much darker.

S: The nose is very weird. It has huge notes of rye and an earthy aroma I can't quite place. There are barely any barrel aromas coming out of this one besides some vanilla and the rye is huge compared to the regular version which was mainly hops and malt.

T: The taste is alot different from the nose. There are big tangy rye flavors with some vanilla, caraway/anise, and some very dark overipe fruits. It's almost sour but I hate to use that word. No hops here or the nose which is very odd.

M: The feel is even thicker than the regular version and very creamy.

O: This was nothing like I thought it would be. Maybe it wasn't cellared properly or maybe it's a bad bottle? This is now the 2nd barrel aged Rye beer I've had that tasted "off"...the other being Ry(e)an. Maybe they're not for me...

This one also had a rusty cap...maybe it's time to look into your capping and waxing technique.

GregSVT, Aug 21, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +0.4%

Big thanks goes out to thunderroad12 for always bringing the goods to releases and sharing this one with beermeX2 and I! Served from bottle into a sampler snifter. Poured a deep red-brown with a minimal off-white head. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, wood, and sweet alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, wood, and subtle sweet alcohol. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a great brew. While this brew wasn't the most complex Barleywine I have had, the components in it just worked really well together. I never would have thought this was 11% either as the alcohol was not in-your-face like some 11% Barleywines I have had in the past. This one was really quite smooth and easy drinking. This is a definite must try for anyone out there if you have no already done so.

thagr81us, Aug 16, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +10.8%

22oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a very dark mahogany brown when held to the light with a half-inch toffee colored head.

Big bourbon nose, vanilla, caramel, oak. Even some dark fruit notes, perhaps I'm mistaking the rye?

The taste is again of caramel and toffee, with bourbon and the rye spice does come through in the finish more than it does in the nose.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly syrupy and just the right amount of carbonation to keep it from becoming overly viscous.

Wow. Definitely one of my favorite barelywine's I have had, if not my favorite.

vkv822, Jul 30, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +4%

I was going to open this on my 25th birthday, but got distracted with Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek on tap and "special time" with my wife, neither of which i regret, i had a great birthday, and still had this bottle for the post-birthday night...right now. Sweet deal. I feel bad for drinking a bomber of this alone, but it was my B-Day present to myself.
Looks are a mahogony cherry color, deep with a thin collar. This one was still when cold but once warming to room temp gave off a bit of a ring.
The aroma is composed, i say that because it isn't outspoken in the alcohol department, and keeps that heat in check with the other componants. Oak is notable along with a dry caramel and toffee.
This one is so smooth and integrated in it's flavors, i really didn't expect this one to be so rounded. Caramel and toffee are the sinews that hold this one together, with the bourbon providing the lubrication. More Oak and Vanilla Syrups, brown sugars a bit on the finish making you smack your lips, which really could be the rye actually now that i think of it, and pancakes covered in maple syrup.
Mouthfeel is syrupy and low carb all around.

This one is pretty outstanding,and i know i am the exception to the rule, but my personal caveat would be less bourbon integration. This one really is about as close to perfect as you can get though, i just like a good strong heat. What an exceptional and complex brew this one is. I have to put this one in my top 3 BWs.

ChadQuest, Jul 25, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +8.5%

brown in color with a light tan head on top that hung around for a good few minutes before settling down into a thin layer on top. One of the best aromas I have ever come across. Rich bourbon notes just rippling across the nose. Lots of toffee and vanilla, light touchs of oak and a piney hop presence as well. So immacualtly complex. Nothing subtle about this beast at all. Rich toffee and oak flavors are all over the place. Huge hop notes coming through with a nice alcohol hotness that is really well placed. A very tight flavor here with a long lingering vanilla flavor that lasted long after my last sip. Rich medium body with a big alcohol note that you know is there.

Overall this was about as solid as could be.

mikesgroove, Jul 03, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -2.2%

Tasted side by side with non BA version. Review from notes taken on Easter.

Dark burgundy with good clarity, but still so dark it's hardy to see through. Half a finger of off white head.

Smells of alcohol soaked dark fruit (plum raisin). Oak, vanilla, huge sweet molasses-y bourbon notes.

Tastes of molasses up front, toffee, licorice, some brown sugar, did I say molasses?, spicy rye and rye bread. The finish brings out some brownie and chocolate notes and brings back the licorice.

A heavy mouthfeel with low carbonation and well hidden alcohol.

Awesome.

billshmeinke, Jun 29, 2011

6/11/2011

Bottle shared by Chris (stawn), thanks! This is a big want. Snifter.

A: Pours a nebulous reddish brown with a fast fading small head.

S: Powerful toffee and caramel with a healthy dose of bourbon. Faint rye notes, as well as oak, caraway, vanilla, and brown sugar. All aspects are balanced, but the toffee, caramel, and bourbon are most notable. Killer nose.

T: Prominent bourbon notes meld with sweet toffee and caramel. Outstanding. Light vanilla and brown sugar. The finish is dry and lightly spicy with lingering caramel and bourbon. Caraway is evident. Alcohol is well hidden.

M: Upper medium in body with moderate carbonation. Thick, viscous, and sticky mouthfeel.

Overall: Awesome beer. Big caramel and bourbon notes. What could be better? Highly recommended.

HopHead84, Jun 12, 2011

Bottle shared by Sean9869 on Hunahpu's eve. Thanks Sean

A - The brew pours a deep and murky maple-brown, and is capped with a filmy tan head that is quite persistent. Viscosity is visible.

S - Sweet Bourbon is the first thing to appear, offering notes of vanilla, oak and booze. As I dig deeper, rich toffee-caramel, chocolate and graham cracker is noted.

T - Reminiscent of an English Barleywine, the flavor is a great pairing of a base of rich, buttery and nutty toffee-caramel and a treatment of sweet Bourbon. There is just about a perfect amount of barrel presence here, and the base beer is still discernible. It seems the barrel has some added some dark fruitiness and undertones of fudge, compared to the base incarnation.

M - Really quite silky, and softly carbonated.

O - Very nice, as is the base beer (though the -bal is an improvement.)

ktrillionaire, Jun 08, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -13.9%

This was part of a 7 bottle BA Barleywine tasting. Thanks to Hopsbreath for bringing this. Shared with hopsbreath, witchsbrew, and tulipsnifter.

Appearance- Unfiltered crimson. Almost a light plum color. Small off white head that doesn't last long at all. 3.5/5

Smell- Vanilla and maple syrup. Not very much after that. Some alcohol as it warms. 3.5/5

Taste- Vanilla and hard caramel candies. The rye comes out at the end. The alcohol makes an appearance in the end and when it warms. 4/5

Mouthfeel- Medium body that thins out quite fast and ends thin. A small chalky feel was there as well 3.5/5

Overall- Good but not overwhelming. I was glad to have it, though. 4/5

MADhombrewer, May 31, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -1.6%

Had a little barrel aged barleywine tasting at MADhombrewer and Witchsbrew's residence last night. Filet mignon's were provided by our host's for TulipSnifter and I. Thanks guys!

In the lineup were Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine, Hellshire I, BA Hi-Fi Rye, BA Old Ruffian, Abacus, and Alpine Great. Our intention was to also open up Perfect Storm '09, Mother of all Storms '10, Kuhnhenn BBBW, and Arctic Devil but we agreed it best to hold off on those beers for another day due to palate fatigue. Small two ounce samples of the six beers from last night were first tasted and notes were taken before returning to the bottles for more tastes and refined notes.

Thanks to MrKanable for supplying me with a bottle.

A: Deep prune-brown, minimal wisp ring, minimal legs, no lacing. 3/5

S: Nice coconut, bourbon, caramel, anise, and other sweeter tendencies. 4/5

T: Sweet and spicy with some dark stone fruits. The licorice from the caraway and rye is very forward and evident which makes for a very unique albeit enjoyable dynamic. 4.5/5

M: The thickest beer of the night. Syrupy and low on the carbonation is what I want from big beers and this delivers. 5/5

O: Damn good. This was WitchsBrew’s favorite beer of the night. It would seem that Flossmoor Station is doing just fine without MVW. This is a fantastic example of how they’re doing and is worth the praise it receives. 4.5/5

hopsbreath, May 30, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +4.5%

Blind Beer #12 from Khazadum with the text: "You made it! Hopefully it wasn't too much tortue." Oh no, not at all. Some few surprises, many great ones, and so far I've only had two kill shots (although one was unexpected!)

22oz gray-waxed bomber poured into a snifter.

A - Pours a tawny brown color, very dark, murky, and imposing. At first it seems there wouldn't be any head and I got a little nervous, but it slowly grew a 1-fingered, light tan head. It has moderate retention, and the lacing is actually quite nice despite the lack of head. Some spatter of lace where I sip from and also a solid ring as the level (quickly) depletes. As I swirl and drink, a revolving vortex of thin, foamy, cap dances in the middle of the glass. (4/5)

S - Almost instantly I'm greeted with the sweet, alcoholic aroma of bourbon. It has a little alcohol astringency to it, but is washed away by the incoming flood of caramel malts which add even more sweetness. Strangely, although this doesn't appear to be a stout, I am getting strong notes of what I would get from a bourbon-aged stout in that there's very rich chocolate, vanilla, and oak. The barrel has done very nice things to this beer, and the fruitiness from the bourbon is a welcome addition as well. (4.5/5)

T - If the bourbon in the nose came across strongly, it only did so to announce it's presence, as it is more subdued in the taste, which isn't a bad thing as it also cuts down on the alcohol. Again, the flavors in here almost immediately harken me back to a barrel-aged imperial stout because the chocolate in this is seriously impressive. It's rich and thick enough to almost remind me of cocoa butter. The bourbon and malts reclaim the beer after this surge of chocolate, and in comes hints of bourbon-soaked raisins and brown sugar. The finish is still rather sweet, but has some spice kick to it as if there are still some hops lingering from the base beer, but they don't impart any noticeable flavor. Seriously a fantastic tasting beer here. (5/5)

M - This beer is very thick and viscous with low carbonation. I'm torn here. Normally with the intense flavors of a beer such as this, low carbonation tends to make the beer feel syrupy and heavy, but with the big chocolate and vanilla in this, it really works. It also helps that although a bit syrupy, it finishes spicy and rather dry to keep the palate ready for more. I'm really liking it, but that could also be due to my love for bourbon-aged imperial stouts! (4/5)

D/O - I'm honestly floored with this beer. What a way to finish this BIF; with something deep, complex, and worthy of heavy concentration. The appearance and smell only lead you to the water, it's up to me to drink, and drink I did with great joy and excitement with this beer. I just hope that when I peel the label off, it is something that I can get again without much trouble. (4.5/5)

I'm going to just leave my guess at a bourbon-aged barleywine!

The reveal: Flossmoor Station Bourbon Barrel-Aged Hi-Fi Rye. Wow. Talk about a generous inclusion by Khazadum to finish off the BIF with this, I cannot thank you enough!

I guess the spiciness in the finish was the rye, but having it almost back-to-back with the normal version, the rye is very subdued! Again, I can't pin the caraway seeds ;)

nhindian, May 28, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +1.8%

Cracked open a bottle to cap off a fun birthday weekend.

This beer pours a syrupy chestnut brown. A hearty pour releases bubbles from suspension and takes a good minute to cascade and form a finger of creamy khaki head that sticks around for the entire glass.

The nose is lush bourbon soaked raisins, sweet oaky vanilla, brown sugar, fruit cake. It smells sweet and warming.

The taste follows the nose with clumps of brown sugar, raisins, prunes, chocolate, vanilla, oak, mellow bourbon. It's sticky on the lips and isn't as cloyingly sweet as you'd think. There's a wonderful balance of malts, muted hops, oak, and bourbon. It's easy to sip and pull out new flavors after each one. Warming in belly, but never hot or boozy. Excellent stuff!

The mouthfeel is full and viscous with a medium level of carbonation.

Damn, I wish I bought more of these. This beer is drinking really well right now and should be enjoyed sooner rather than later before it gets too sweet.

beertooth, May 17, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

Special Thanks to Masterski for sending this one in a recent trade. Greatly appreciated. This is the beer I’ve chosen to pop as celebration for 3 years on BA as well as for the opening drop of the puck for the Bruins playoff game. What a great beer.

Poured into my Portsmouth Brewing Tulip glass and didn’t really get a head to form. Even with a little coaxing. The beer is a very dark burgundy color or perhaps best described as brown with burgundy highlights.

The aroma is intoxicating. Thick with bourbon, maple and vanilla scents. A moment of brown sugar, but really more maple like.

Much like the standard version, I basically have to admit that I would not have sensed or mentioned Rye had it not been so prominently mentioned in the name. Not a negative comment, just reality. This is a very nice beer. The malt flavors here are just fantastic. There is almost a malted milk flavor here. The maple and vanilla flavors are fantastic. Like the aroma there is some brown sugar as well. Got some prune & fig jam as well. There were moments where I was getting a dark chocolate flavor. The bourbon flavors are smooth and luxurious. You can definitely sense a higher ABV, but it’s not hot in any fashion. Lots going on here and it all melds so well.

Body is super thick and rich. There is just a pin prick of carbonation that keeps if from being syrup like. But no doubt about it, this is one big beer.

Reagan1984, May 15, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +4.5%

Date: 05/07/2011
Vintage: 2011
Type: 22oz. Bottle
Glass: DFH Chalice

Thanks to Masterski for the opportunity to sample this brew!

Pours a dark brown mahoghany in color w/ a 1/3 finger bubbly tan head that produces light sticky lacing. Aromas of dark fruits(prune, plum, and raisin), brown sugar, oak, vanilla, and light whiskey booze. The taste was amazingly complex! Sweet dark fruits up front, followed by caramel/toffee/brown sugar, and finishing w/ vanilla, oak, mild bourbon, and a touch of hop bite and rye spice. Mouthfeel was oily and medium bodied w/ low carbonation. With the well hidden ABV and rich complex flavors, this brew is dangerously drinkable. My only knock on this brew is the carbonation is a little too high for my liking, but to us English Barleywine lovers, this is a common flaw that a little age seems to cure.

Overall, this brew is tremendous fresh! I polished off the bomber myself and was feeling no pain. This will only get better w/ age as I suspect the flavors will meld together better and the carbonation will die down a bit.

mikeyv35, May 09, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to Spycow for the bottle!

Pours a dark maroon brown with essentially no head. Still manages to leave a few patches of lacing. Fairly bland looking.

The aroma is filled with fruity bourbon, oak and a bit of alcohol. Cherries, figs, honey and rye. Nice notes, but the ABV seems to overwhelm things a bit.

Bourbon, rye, caramel, chocolate, oak and vanilla wash across the tongue as you tip this back. Toffee and a touch of hops. Dark fruits soaked in booze. Delicious! The barrel aging improves on an already exceptional base beer. The rye spiciness keeps things interesting. Great complexity. I love the vanilla and caramel that come through.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with low carbonation. Light rye spiciness. Warming alcohol throughout, but not overdone. Good thickness to the body, even with the barrel aging.

Overall, this is an awesome barleywine. A good nose and an amazing flavor profile. The barrel aging is well done and helps to improve an already solid base beer. Goes down so easy. Even with the 11% ABV. Dangerously drinkable for a barleywine. I could probably drink an entire bottle by myself. I really need to get another one of these. Highly recommended!

sisuspeed, May 08, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -8.3%

Thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this bottle.

A: this one pours darker than the non BA version, appears a deep red with no head and no lacing

S: the nose features vanilla and toasted coconut followed by lots of bourbon and oak. Delicate notes of maple and molasses come through on the finish.

T: much sweeter than the regular Hi-Fye with lots of molasses and some spicy rye malt towards the finish. Not picking up much of a hop profile.

MF: low carbonation, heavy body

O: This is a very good beer, but I would have to say that I enjoyed the non barrel aged version a little bit more. The bourbon is nice, but it seems to overshadow the base beer.

homebrew311, May 07, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -1.1%

Giving this one a go after having the regular Hi Fi Rye yesterday, which was fairly mediocre. Pours a fairly muddy deep mahogany/chestnut with a thin ring of cappuccino head. Nose is immediately full of brown sugars, toffee, dates, figs, rich bourbon, and something vinous like plum. Very sweet in the mouth, lots of dark fruits still, somewhat hot throughout. Unique grainy, earthy kick in the finish. This is 1000% better than the regular version, unless I had gotten a bad bottle. It's not that I just prefer bourbon barrel aged stuff either, as I love classic barley wines when done well, but the malt in this is just way more mature and expressive than in the regular version. Different batch of base beer maybe? This might have been from the older batch as it had to age for so long to see the same release? A lot of dry wood as it opens and breathes further. Then, some leafy pipe tobacco and chocolate liqueur.

I have to compare this to some other recent barrel aged barley wines, and to one older one. Recently, this is way above Abacus, above the new Old Stock Reserve, on par or better than BB 4th Dementia. Then there's Wooden Hell, the best strong ale of any kind I've had, with which it actually shares some interesting qualities. It's not as refined and expressive as that beauty, but the round, rich bourbon quality and the malt complexity is similar in a way. A side by side tasting down the road could be in order!

JAXSON, Apr 30, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -3.4%

Served in a snifter

The second beer, which is a year older than beer one and has spent it's time aging gracefully in bourbon barrels, is served a murky brown with zero head. This is a typical appearance for lighter colored beers that have been barrel aged. It actually darkened in color compared to its newer counterpart. Aroma has that typical bourbon barrel aroma, in my personal opinion it was almost too much but I still found it rather pleasant. The base beer only came threw in the smells of toasted caramel malts. Other than that in both aroma and taste there was strong semblances of oak, vanilla, and bourbon whiskey tied together with a thick almost hazelnut like flavor. It was interesting, but there was no rye to be found in this beer. I'm sure it provides flavor somewhere, but I feel the barrels were overpowering to the base of the beer.

Vdubb86, Apr 21, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -14.6%

Tasted this one at the Lower Buffalo Grove Spring Gathering. Thanks to whomever brought it.

A: Dark brown and flat. Forms a slight film of micro-bubbles.

S: Huge aroma of bourbon, raisins, port, caramel, and syrup.

T: Hugely (and distractingly) sweet. Raisins, toffee, and oak. Almost port-like.

M: Thick and syrupy with virtually no carbonation. Almost medicinal

O: A very complex sipper of a beer that I found overly sweet. Enjoyed the non-BA version much better.

Florida9, Apr 20, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Served in a tulip glass.

Big thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this bottle!

Good times with the regular version, let's kick it up to the barrel-aged, boyee! It pours a murky ruby-brown topped by a half-finger (at best) of dirty white foam. The nose comprises bourbon, vanilla, cocoa, oak, toasted coconut, and toffee. The taste brings in more of the same tastiness, though the barrels come through even stronger, dominating the proceedings in a generally pleasant manner. Some minor grapefruit notes linger about in the background. The body is a hefty-feeling medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a dry finish, and a feel that comes very close to, but does not make it to, chewy. Overall, a great ryewine, one that really takes to the barrel-aging rather nicely. Get some!

TMoney2591, Apr 18, 2011