Wooden Horse - Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

Beer added by: aasher on 03-14-2011

to view more.
Ratings: 5 | Reviews: 2
3.73/5  rDev n/a

On-tap at the pre-DLD Flossmoor Event.

A - Pours black, tan head, spotty lace and thin collar.

S - Roast, chocolate, dark fruits, oak. I don't get much (if any) of the oatmeal notes from this beer, but the rest of it is good.

T - Similar to the nose, but more chocolate and dark fruits. The oak and roast are there, but in less quantity. There's a light coffee/oatmeal note that comes through as well. Finish is dark chocolate and oak.

M - Medium body, good carbonation, smooth, creamy finish.

O - A nice take on an Oatmeal Stout and I was able to easy finish my pour. This beer pops up from time to time around the Chicagoland area, so I'm looking forward to it again in the near future.

4.17/5  rDev n/a

I tried this beer at Goose Island's Stoutfest and it was poured by Flossmoor's headbrewer himself. He told me that they aged this 5.5% oatmeal stout in Woodford Reserve barrels. It poured a dark brown on the verge of black with a light khaki head. The nose was just what I wanted, coffee, chocolate, and Woodford Reserve. It smelled great. Being 5.5% you wouldn't expect THAT much bourbon but it was definitely the predominant aroma. The flavor was actually heavier on the bourbon than I thought it would be but was fine because the actual alcohol didn't burn or bother. I really liked it. It drank very smoothly and had a mellow bourbon finish. I'd relate this to Barley Island's Beastie Barrel Stout. I found it to be very drinkable and a good representation of a lower content stout with big time bourbon barrel aging.

to view more.
Wooden Horse from Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.