Barrel Aged Magnolia Star Malt Liquor - Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

Barrel Aged Magnolia Star Malt Liquor
No picture uploaded.

Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Malt Liquor |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 05-02-2011)
4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

Sparky44, Mar 23, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

aerozeppl, Dec 10, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

ADTaber, May 01, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -6.2%

A late tapping at the opening of Craft Beer Week in chicago at the Under Glass event at the Garfield Park Conservitory.

The pour of this I got was fantastic. It is bright gold and crystal clear. A solid two inch head stays put and as it receedes a nice lacing is left in the glass.

Smells overpoweringly of bourbon with a light backing of vanilla sweetness. Hard to get much else out of it after the bourbon.

I was very very suprised at how good it tasted. Vanilla sweetness all at the head of the flavor followed by the bourbon and light a light maltyness to the finish.

It is an easy drinker, light bodied with a bourbon heat at the finish. Just hot enough to make you wait a second before going back for more.

Overall, I really enjoyed it but would mark it as one of their best. If there was the oppertunity to get it again it would probably be my first choice of their latest offerings and I'd definatly pick up a couple 40's if they did it that way!

benpopper, May 25, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +5.7%

On-tap at the Dark Lord Eve party at the brewpub. Poured into a plastic cup.

A: Yellow and fizzy. Thin white head appears rather fizzy and fleeting. It looks like standard malt liquor - I hope I haven't been swindled...

S: One whiff is all it takes to prove that this is a true barrel-aged beer, as huge bourbon just destroys everything in its path. There's whiskey, vanilla, oak, coconut, and alcohol; no real trace of the base beer. A malt liquor that doesn't smell anything like a malt liquor, but instead has the aroma of luxurious bourbon? How can I give this anything besides a perfect score?

T: The base adjuncts come through here, but in the most fascinating way: this tastes like a bowl of Kellogg's Corn Flakes drenched not in milk, but rather in fine bourbon. Now that's what I'd call the breakfast of champions!

M: Thin, fizzy, and unsurprising.

O: I'm so glad I took a chance and tried this beer; while nowhere near as standardly "good" as some of the other BA offerings, it's certainly the biggest improvement over its original version (not that I've had Flossmoor's malt liquor, but I think it's a pretty safe bet). Maybe I'll throw some bourbon and cereal in the blender to try to recreate this fascinating beer.

Cheers!

woosterbill, May 22, 2011

Consumed head-to-head with some Wooden Hell poured for me by the fabulously generous Bryan Shimkos. BA Magnolia Star is arguably better than Wooden Hell. Shock and awe ensues...

A - Perfect look for the style; bright golden, clearly effervescent, and capped with a fizzy white head.

S - The nose is astonishingly good. It is like a pineapple upside-down cake, exactly. The nose is replete with tons of vanilla, luxurious booze, pineapple and coconut, maybe even strawberry. There is a refreshing minerality that is produced by the intersection of the fizzy effervesence and underlying pale (adjunct?) malt.

T - Thank God Alex ordered this, or I probably would've stuck with BA Beelzebeer and BA Raspberry 666, neither of which can hang with this. The flavor is, again, exactly like "pineapple upside-down cake, the beer." The malt liquor base provides the perfect jump-off for decadent notes of pineapple, coconut, vanilla. The booze and barrel is big here, but it suggests spiced coconut rum more than whisky or brandy (I am unsure from what spirit the barrel is here, but I don't think it is rum, just evokes the taste.) There is some underlying breadiness for the minerally malt base, which completes the cake impression. I am astounded by this brew.

M - Fizzy at first (especially for a -bal) and slightly creamy as the effervescence wanes; just as a Malt Liquor should be.

O - I took a big cup of this with me on the Metra back to Chicago. I told Alex, while we were drinking it hobo-style, that no one in the history of Earth had ever consumed such a fine Malt Liquor on a train. History has been made; our legacy is assured.

ktrillionaire, May 06, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -9.7%

on tap during pre-DLD party

Pours a mostly clear golden color with a thin wisp of head on top. Some film and spotty lacing are left behind on the cup.

A big whiff of sweetness with vanilla and maple syrup. Some grain and bread malt notes and bourbon driven alcohol.

Pretty bold, tasty barrel character from top to bottom on this one. Bourbon with oaked smoothness. Vanilla and burnt sugar with syrup and some lighter hints of caramel. Somewhat thinner malt base, finishes sweet and boozy.

Medium body, decent carbonation, fairly easy on the tongue. Drinks pretty nicely, especially considering what it is. This was my first beer of the evening at Flossmoor and probably one of the better ones overall.

xnicknj, May 06, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -3.9%

On-tap at Flossmoor's pre-DLD festivities. Served in a plastic cup and consumed largely on the Metra.

A - Dime of white foam settles to a thin ring, leaving behind spotty lace. Transparent golden body.

S - Coconut, vanilla, light oak, icing sugar - base beer is largely gone. Casey said "pineapple upside-down cake" - the tropical fruit, sugary sweetness, and sweet bready malts certainly are evocative in this sort of way.

T - Also largely barrel-influenced. Vanilla, coconut, icing sugar, light oak.

M - Smooth, medium-bodied, medium carbonation, and mild alcohol warmth.

D - Definitely in my top five malt liquors. I wish I could get a 40oz of this for our upcoming malt liquor showdown, as I think it would be quite competitive. Hopefully this shows up on-tap again at Flossmoor in the future.

MasterSki, May 02, 2011
Barrel Aged Magnolia Star Malt Liquor from Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.