Bitburger Drive - Bitburger Brauerei

Bitburger DriveBitburger Drive

Bitburger Brauerei visit their website
Germany

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-12-2002)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by JupiterJesus:
JupiterJesus

3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

Ordered this off the board because I'd never had Bitburger. I figured I should try it at least once. I didn't notice that the board said "Bitburger N/A". Oops.

I'm quite surprised actually. Nice and hoppy. Not sweet. A companion said it pretty much tasted like Bitburger. My wife said she would drink this when we have a baby.

My only complaint is that there was a very strong 'roasted chestnut'-like flavor that was a bit cloying. I don't know if this was a ton of melanoidin, or a result of the alcohol removal, or a characteristic of Bitburger in general or a result of oxidation.

Overall, not as terrible as I'd expect. It was also interesting to try an NA beer at least once. Unfortunately, ordering this beer automatically made me the DD :(

03-03-2013 20:51:07 | More by JupiterJesus
wollefdoogylloj

3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

06-20-2014 22:57:48 | More by wollefdoogylloj
Latarnik

05-28-2014 01:27:33 | More by Latarnik
samtrillo

2.68/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - Very very pale see through gold

S - Pale malt, sour grain.

T - Like a watered down pale ale. Nice bite of hops. Kinda of like a hop soda actually if that was a thing.

M - Obviously lite bodied. Peppery carbonation.

O - My first N/A It's on okay drink if you need a little hops and carbonation. Honestly, though, there are a lot of interesting sodas out there to drink instead. I hear there's a hop soda these days.

04-14-2014 04:44:14 | More by samtrillo

09-28-2013 06:31:26 | More by largadeer
Spikester

Oregon

3.69/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Clear gold with a one inch white head. A few strands of lacing.
Smell a bit of grain some dank hop aroma.
Taste is immediate bitter hops with a light malt backup. No overly sweet malty mess like many N/A beers.
Mouthfeel is just like the standard beer but without the alcohol bite.
Overall one of the better N/A beers available. Some real hops. Dry bitter finish.

01-11-2013 06:13:12 | More by Spikester
harrymel

Washington

3.53/5  rDev +26.5%

Doing some alcoholfrei reviewing.
Best by 18JUL13

Pours light golden with a little central bone white foam. Brilliant clarity. Smells of light grain, a little corn, some herbal hops - actually smells like a decent pilsner! Flavor of grain, some astringent rice-ee-ness, a little bit of a apple pith character, pretty watered down pilsen style - I guess that's part of the product. Thin bodied with hi carb and a wet finish. Not bad, not bad at all. Beats soda pop at 90 calories per bottle.

01-08-2013 05:26:52 | More by harrymel
LXIXME

New Mexico

2.78/5  rDev -0.4%

Small white head dies into a thin lacing above a clear bright straw golden colored beer.

Aroma is dominated by sour corn and grains, not giving anything else room to show itself.

Taste is lighter than the aroma but still dominated by the sour corn and grains.

A dry aftertaste with some of the sour grains still lingering on with this light bodied drink.

Nothing special going on here, cept if you can't drink alcohol this might fit the bill.

12-29-2012 22:30:47 | More by LXIXME

Lunch

Maryland

3.33/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First NA beer review courtesy of Mrs. Drabmuh, thanks!

Pours a golden straw color with a soapy white head that stayed around. Smell might not be wonderful, but for a beer with no real alcohol to speak of, this was pretty, pretty, pretty good. Aroma reminded me of Becks Light with some grains and pale malts. Taste is not bad at all and this blows away any macro lager that I can remember. Crisp and clean with ample carbonation.

Goddamn, I just wish they would tone down the alcohol and this motherfucker burned yo's throat.

In all seriousness, not a bad beverage at all.

05-24-2011 01:16:03 | More by Lunch
drabmuh

Maryland

3.23/5  rDev +15.8%

People hate this beer? I've had a bunch of NA beers lately for various reasons and I can say without hyperbole that I would have a hard time telling the difference between bitburger and bitburger drive. Seriously the BEST NA beer I've had to date, something I'd even have again.

Beer is yellow and clear with a decent head, no lacing and low carbonation.

Aroma really just isn't there. Very very mild.

Beer is thin but not sweet like most of them. It has a nice earthy hoppy bitterness at the back. There is a great pilsen malt flavor. The overall experience is kind of like a bad pilsner, boring pilsner but it is not a horrible sweet syrupy mess like most of these beers are. Like I said, the best I've had so far.

05-23-2011 19:01:19 | More by drabmuh
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

1.98/5  rDev -29%

Poured from a 330ml. bottle, best before 10-08-11.

Appearance: A pure white 3 finger head with a mostly clear pale gold body. Retention is better than expected with even some moderate lacing.

Smell: Some malt and corn but not offensive and actually not bad.

Taste: Tastes, well, like nothing. Leaves a grating bitterness that is not pleasant at all. A type of weird peppery feel is also present but this is not good.

Mouthfeel: Zero carbonation and feels like water. No thanks.

Drinkability: Not at all. A bit more than half was enough for me.

Overall: There are better alternatives, like soda or water. Looked good and smelt decent but everything else is forgettable.

12-06-2010 19:01:11 | More by papat444
Halcyondays

2.33/5  rDev -16.5%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours yellow with a soft white head, fair retention, very light lace.

S: Nice hop nose off the bat, but pretty one-dimensional.

T: Bitter, carbonic acid taste. Really no malt flavour here, quite astringent.

M: Quite a bit smoother than the Paulaner, not overcarbonated, light-bodied.

D: Not one of the better German low ABV beers. Kind of a chore to drink in the end.

03-03-2010 05:16:57 | More by Halcyondays
Mora2000

Pours a very light yellow with a small white head. The Aroma is filled with adjuncts, with the overall aroma being that of corn tortillas. The flavor is more of the same with some light hops in addition to the heavy corn. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. The flavor of this beer is basically that of a major macro lager, only with none of the alcohol.

02-10-2010 17:27:34 | More by Mora2000
BeerZack

2.8/5  rDev +0.4%

Clear golden pee-pee color with slight pee-pee foam covering.

Mostly a grainy cooked barley smell with some carbonic whiffs ands a bit of dirt.

Almost tastes like a beer. Grainy flavor isn't as bad as most N/As I've tried, comes close to a bad Pils flavor. Somewhat watery and seems to have some generic acidic balance rather than hop balance. Almost drinkable. Good N/A.

04-02-2008 03:55:32 | More by BeerZack
goschool

3.4/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had tasted one N/A beer in my life before tonight. Malt Star, in Haifa, when I was 17 (Somebody else bought it). I bought this and Clausthaler Premium at Trader Joe's this evening.

Appearance: The pour is light gold with a big foamy white head that fades to a thin layer.

Smell: The nose has soft malts and an even softer hop aroma.

Taste: This is better than the Clausthaler and, as a matter of fact, better than a lot of the pilsner-style Euro Lagers. Light malts, cereal grains, and a hint of hops.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied with lively carbonation.

Drinkability: Now this is a good N/A. I would take this over a Heineken any day.

12-19-2006 08:07:33 | More by goschool
MTNboy

Germany

2.6/5  rDev -6.8%

I just drank this beer with dinner tonight. I was not impressed! It had little flavour but a strong aftertaste. It does go down alright but it does not live up to the Bitburger name. I compared it to some other "Near Beers" just to make sure I gave it a fare shake it was not my least favorite on but it was a close runner-up.

Serving type: can

12-13-2006 14:16:25 | More by MTNboy
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.15/5  rDev -22.9%

This review is part of NA Shootout (With Blanks) III, yet another one of my head-to-head matchups of macro lagers, malt liquors, and in this case, low alcohol beers that are designed to make their consumption more interesting than it would otherwise be and to learn something by directly comparing two similar beers. How will the Teutonic Giant fare against the Behemoth from St. Louis? Let's find out.

Pale amber as well, although a wee bit darker than its competitor. Unless a light source is available, there's no way they could be distinguished from one another. The head is more ivory than white and is more bubbly than the O'Doul's. It has better persistence and leaves much more lace. Bitburger takes an early lead...

... that is just as quickly loses after the sniff test. While it isn't 'turn away in disgust' horrible, the nose is less appealing on this beer. It smells more metallic than grain-like. I've smelled much worse, but that doesn't mean that I should cut this one any slack.

Drive is the clear loser when it comes to flavor and will, therefore, handily lose the overall contest. It tastes more like beer than O'Doul's, mostly because it's actually bitter, but the bitterness doesn't seem hop-related. In addition, that nasty, clay-like 'NA funk' is present and ruins what might have been a decent beverage. It's far from the worst of the style though.

What would a low alcohol beer be without a light, insipid feeling mouthfeel? It's amazing what alcohol adds to beer; even mouthfeel apparently. Drive is a fraction more bubbly as I drink, but I can't say that I like it more as a result.

Bitburger Drive traded wins on appearance and smell and managed to stay at least even on mouthfeel. Unfortunately, it lost the all-important flavor comparison and is therefore the loser of NA Shootout (With Blanks) III. I could actually drink this stuff if I had to, which is more than I can say for at least one of its fellow German low alcohol beers (cough... Paulaner... cough... ThomasBrau... cough).

11-26-2006 14:22:35 | More by BuckeyeNation
shererjt

2.42/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured a deep yellow clear with a slowly developing, frothy white head and slowly escaping bubbles. Aroma was towards the malt with a bit of grassiness. Hops were subtle in the background but balanced nicely. Bit of adjunct/corn after it settled a bit. Kind of an up-front malt flavor with a fair amount of hops in the finish as well. Probably as hoppy a NA beer as I ever had, and I wasn't sure that it had the malt background to balance it. That's weird, as most NAs tend to be quite sweet. Mouthfeel was thin as most NAs are. The out-of-balancedness makes the drinkability less than average.

This is the mirror image of most NA beers; it has too many hops for the malt. Interesting, and I've had far worse, but I wouldn't buy it again.

04-23-2006 04:05:56 | More by shererjt
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

2.4/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Taste like a beer, which is the objective of a low-alcohol. Unfortunately, like a macro lager. Still, it did the drink at the end of a warm long afternoon. Somewhat sweet and aggressive carbonation. Pale yellow, no head. Grassy, metallic. Thin mouthfeel.

05-22-2005 04:05:15 | More by Sammy
allengarvin

3.65/5  rDev +30.8%

Appearance: Straw-gold color, lots of fine bubbles. Nice head, but it doesn't last.

Aroma: Nice amount of hop aroma, with sweet, grainy malt.

Flavor: Clean malt flavor with a decent bitterness in the middle. Finish is a very clean and dry for a non-alcoholic beer.

Body: Medium-light body, high carbonation.

Compared to other beers, Drive tastes like an average continental pils. I rated it based on that. Compared to other non-alcoholic beers, though, it is absolutely one of the best. It feels like, smells like beer, and tastes like beer. If for some reason I had to stop drinking alcohol, this is what I would take as an alternative.

12-10-2004 06:05:33 | More by allengarvin
marcobrau

3.48/5  rDev +24.7%

I've been drinking non-alcoholic (read: 0.5 percent) brews since I found out that my gall bladder has to be removed. Well, the GB is gone and I drink regular beer, but for the sake my healing body, I'm finishing the N.A. brews I have left in my fridge.

Bitburger Drive pours yellow with some big bubbles (probably the fault of my dirty glassware.) There's a loose head of foam that settles to pretty much nothing. The aroma is of fresh grains and sort of cereal-like and could be covered up with some hops. The body is a little more full than a real Bitburger and the hops are diminished somewhat. The finish is pretty dry. I'd like a little more hops; especially up front. Why else would want I want to drink an N.A. beer -- I want to taste malt AND hops -- but I can't have all the alcohol.

05-17-2004 23:54:30 | More by marcobrau