Bitburger Drive - Bitburger Brauerei

Bitburger DriveBitburger Drive

Bitburger Brauerei visit their website
Germany

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-12-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by JupiterJesus:
3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

Ordered this off the board because I'd never had Bitburger. I figured I should try it at least once. I didn't notice that the board said "Bitburger N/A". Oops.

I'm quite surprised actually. Nice and hoppy. Not sweet. A companion said it pretty much tasted like Bitburger. My wife said she would drink this when we have a baby.

My only complaint is that there was a very strong 'roasted chestnut'-like flavor that was a bit cloying. I don't know if this was a ton of melanoidin, or a result of the alcohol removal, or a characteristic of Bitburger in general or a result of oxidation.

Overall, not as terrible as I'd expect. It was also interesting to try an NA beer at least once. Unfortunately, ordering this beer automatically made me the DD :(

JupiterJesus, Mar 03, 2013

Pours a very light yellow with a small white head. The Aroma is filled with adjuncts, with the overall aroma being that of corn tortillas. The flavor is more of the same with some light hops in addition to the heavy corn. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. The flavor of this beer is basically that of a major macro lager, only with none of the alcohol.

Mora2000, Feb 10, 2010

I bought this by mistake, thinking it was the normal Bitburger, pretty crappy, very thin and watery, in fact i might as well have been drinking water, at least it prolonged my night a bit being a non-alcoholoic beer(hehehe).

rastaman, Aug 12, 2002
2.78/5  rDev -0.4%

Small white head dies into a thin lacing above a clear bright straw golden colored beer.

Aroma is dominated by sour corn and grains, not giving anything else room to show itself.

Taste is lighter than the aroma but still dominated by the sour corn and grains.

A dry aftertaste with some of the sour grains still lingering on with this light bodied drink.

Nothing special going on here, cept if you can't drink alcohol this might fit the bill.

LXIXME, Dec 29, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - Very very pale see through gold

S - Pale malt, sour grain.

T - Like a watered down pale ale. Nice bite of hops. Kinda of like a hop soda actually if that was a thing.

M - Obviously lite bodied. Peppery carbonation.

O - My first N/A It's on okay drink if you need a little hops and carbonation. Honestly, though, there are a lot of interesting sodas out there to drink instead. I hear there's a hop soda these days.

samtrillo, Apr 14, 2014
2.4/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Taste like a beer, which is the objective of a low-alcohol. Unfortunately, like a macro lager. Still, it did the drink at the end of a warm long afternoon. Somewhat sweet and aggressive carbonation. Pale yellow, no head. Grassy, metallic. Thin mouthfeel.

Sammy, May 22, 2005
2.8/5  rDev +0.4%

Clear golden pee-pee color with slight pee-pee foam covering.

Mostly a grainy cooked barley smell with some carbonic whiffs ands a bit of dirt.

Almost tastes like a beer. Grainy flavor isn't as bad as most N/As I've tried, comes close to a bad Pils flavor. Somewhat watery and seems to have some generic acidic balance rather than hop balance. Almost drinkable. Good N/A.

BeerZack, Apr 02, 2008
3.48/5  rDev +24.7%

I've been drinking non-alcoholic (read: 0.5 percent) brews since I found out that my gall bladder has to be removed. Well, the GB is gone and I drink regular beer, but for the sake my healing body, I'm finishing the N.A. brews I have left in my fridge.

Bitburger Drive pours yellow with some big bubbles (probably the fault of my dirty glassware.) There's a loose head of foam that settles to pretty much nothing. The aroma is of fresh grains and sort of cereal-like and could be covered up with some hops. The body is a little more full than a real Bitburger and the hops are diminished somewhat. The finish is pretty dry. I'd like a little more hops; especially up front. Why else would want I want to drink an N.A. beer -- I want to taste malt AND hops -- but I can't have all the alcohol.

marcobrau, May 17, 2004
3.69/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Clear gold with a one inch white head. A few strands of lacing.
Smell a bit of grain some dank hop aroma.
Taste is immediate bitter hops with a light malt backup. No overly sweet malty mess like many N/A beers.
Mouthfeel is just like the standard beer but without the alcohol bite.
Overall one of the better N/A beers available. Some real hops. Dry bitter finish.

Spikester, Jan 11, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

wollefdoogylloj, Jun 20, 2014

largadeer, Sep 28, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -6.8%

I just drank this beer with dinner tonight. I was not impressed! It had little flavour but a strong aftertaste. It does go down alright but it does not live up to the Bitburger name. I compared it to some other "Near Beers" just to make sure I gave it a fare shake it was not my least favorite on but it was a close runner-up.

MTNboy, Dec 13, 2006
1.98/5  rDev -29%

Poured from a 330ml. bottle, best before 10-08-11.

Appearance: A pure white 3 finger head with a mostly clear pale gold body. Retention is better than expected with even some moderate lacing.

Smell: Some malt and corn but not offensive and actually not bad.

Taste: Tastes, well, like nothing. Leaves a grating bitterness that is not pleasant at all. A type of weird peppery feel is also present but this is not good.

Mouthfeel: Zero carbonation and feels like water. No thanks.

Drinkability: Not at all. A bit more than half was enough for me.

Overall: There are better alternatives, like soda or water. Looked good and smelt decent but everything else is forgettable.

papat444, Dec 06, 2010
3.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Crystal-clear light golden color with a medium-sized snow-white head, well carbonated with good lacing. Aroma consists mainly of sweet malt, like unfermented wort, and a decent hop presence. Taste begins with a surge of carbonation across the tongue, followed by slightly tart malt flavors. A mild hop presence asserts itself soon afterward which rises to a slightly metallic note at the end of the taste. Finish is quite dry. The mouth feel, while nothing spectacular, is not bad. One of the better non-alcoholic beers, Drive manages to avoid the excessive sweetness often noted in these products.

Pegasus, Mar 23, 2003
2.73/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a clear light gold brew.

Smell is sweet with lots of grain and a bit grassy. I smell malt in this too.

Taste is sweet with a cereal flavor and a bit of hop bite to it. This has a distinct "Cooked" flavor.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Not a first choice, but if you have to drink a near beer, this is much better than the American versions.

Zorro, Mar 10, 2004
2.75/5  rDev -1.4%

A girl gave it to me because she is pregnant and ask me to try to know what I was thinking about that beer.Its actually my first N/A beer
First of all it have an interesting smell to it.
Lots of carbonation, nice yellow clear color where u can see lots of bubbles going up.
Well I can tell u, with alcohol, this beer will taste better.
But for a N/A beer is not that bad.
If u wanna drink a beer and don t wanna get drunk or don t wanna drink Alcohol or ur pregnant, I would recommend that N/A beer.

kevofficiel, Aug 25, 2014
3.53/5  rDev +26.5%

Doing some alcoholfrei reviewing.
Best by 18JUL13

Pours light golden with a little central bone white foam. Brilliant clarity. Smells of light grain, a little corn, some herbal hops - actually smells like a decent pilsner! Flavor of grain, some astringent rice-ee-ness, a little bit of a apple pith character, pretty watered down pilsen style - I guess that's part of the product. Thin bodied with hi carb and a wet finish. Not bad, not bad at all. Beats soda pop at 90 calories per bottle.

harrymel, Jan 08, 2013

codynevels, Nov 17, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured a deep yellow clear with a slowly developing, frothy white head and slowly escaping bubbles. Aroma was towards the malt with a bit of grassiness. Hops were subtle in the background but balanced nicely. Bit of adjunct/corn after it settled a bit. Kind of an up-front malt flavor with a fair amount of hops in the finish as well. Probably as hoppy a NA beer as I ever had, and I wasn't sure that it had the malt background to balance it. That's weird, as most NAs tend to be quite sweet. Mouthfeel was thin as most NAs are. The out-of-balancedness makes the drinkability less than average.

This is the mirror image of most NA beers; it has too many hops for the malt. Interesting, and I've had far worse, but I wouldn't buy it again.

shererjt, Apr 23, 2006

Exiled, Nov 26, 2011

CelticAleMan, Sep 04, 2012

Latarnik, May 28, 2014
3.65/5  rDev +30.8%

Appearance: Straw-gold color, lots of fine bubbles. Nice head, but it doesn't last.

Aroma: Nice amount of hop aroma, with sweet, grainy malt.

Flavor: Clean malt flavor with a decent bitterness in the middle. Finish is a very clean and dry for a non-alcoholic beer.

Body: Medium-light body, high carbonation.

Compared to other beers, Drive tastes like an average continental pils. I rated it based on that. Compared to other non-alcoholic beers, though, it is absolutely one of the best. It feels like, smells like beer, and tastes like beer. If for some reason I had to stop drinking alcohol, this is what I would take as an alternative.

allengarvin, Dec 10, 2004
1.93/5  rDev -30.8%

Bought locally (Grapevine refrigerated shelves), a few minutes in my fridge, reviewed 45F-55F.

A big white head dies fast like soda pop. Some runny lacing. The color is clear, clear gold.

Lotsa lagerfunk in the nose. The front is toast (not toasted grain, but toasted WonderBread). The middle is strangely bitter with a metallic finish. At higher temps, some grains show in the aftertaste. To its credit, this beer has none of the cloying cornsyrup of many other NAs. But even still, it's pretty awful. There are many better NAs out there.

kbub6f, Apr 03, 2003
3.4/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had tasted one N/A beer in my life before tonight. Malt Star, in Haifa, when I was 17 (Somebody else bought it). I bought this and Clausthaler Premium at Trader Joe's this evening.

Appearance: The pour is light gold with a big foamy white head that fades to a thin layer.

Smell: The nose has soft malts and an even softer hop aroma.

Taste: This is better than the Clausthaler and, as a matter of fact, better than a lot of the pilsner-style Euro Lagers. Light malts, cereal grains, and a hint of hops.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied with lively carbonation.

Drinkability: Now this is a good N/A. I would take this over a Heineken any day.

goschool, Dec 19, 2006