Moosbacher Weissbier - Private Landbrauerei Scheuerer

good

Private Landbrauerei Scheuerer visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: GCBrewingCo on 04-28-2006)
Reviews by engisch:
3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

Wow it opened explosively. I had to quickly start pouring because it was going to overflow with carbonation and foam. I poured this into a glass with about half of the glass being an extreme foamy head.

While I am waiting for some foam to disappear I notice that the beer is a slightly cloudy golden orange. It has a smell of banannas with a hint of spicing. I pour more into the glass and again I have a rediculous amount of head. Looking at the bottle I see that the use before date is 12/2008, the volume is 500 mL (1 Pint, 9 oz), there is a cake of yeast at the bottom, and "Ingredients: Water, Barley & hops, yeast". Wait a second, how is that right?!? I thought this was a "Wheat beer". That's interesting. I pour more into the glass, which still isn't full.

I get impatient and I try a bit from the bottle. Wow, that is a lot of carbonation. It is very soda/selzer like. Definately not a beer that should be drank out of the bottle. Do yourself a favor and pour it into a glass. Finally after much waiting, I get to try the beer. This is a decent tasting beer. It is a very social drinker, as it is not too strong. Tastes are similar to the smell with banannas and clove flavors.

It has a typical classic weissbier, nothing too special. A good beer. I look forward to trying the other Moosbacher varieties.

engisch, Aug 28, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a huge white head. The aroma is wheat with a lot of orange citrus notes. I don't get banana and clove like I expected. The flavor is strong wheat with hints of lemon, toffee and orange. I didn't get the traditional hefeweizen notes in the flavor, but it was still pretty good. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Aug 04, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Appears a nice clouded sunshine golden orange hue with a bright white head, that leaves thick chunky coated lacing down the sides of my glass. Aromatics offer up spicy bubblegum and clove accents with sweet stick ripened banana. Great mix of a German hefeweizen as far as complexity and refreshing qualities go, I love drinking this style on tap. But in this case the bottle is working it's magic, spice banana bread, clover and a touch of ginger like quality bites at the palate with a minimal hopping going on. The flavors collide well and gather momentum with each for me, this is a beer i could drink in number it's a damn shame they don't bring more across the pond ore offer it on tap anywhere in the states that I know about. Mouthfeel is medium bodied effervescent carbonation going on, very enjoyable and cleansing on the palate. Drinkability overall is pretty killer much like any German brewed hefe, this one is in the middle not the worst or best example but definitely enjoyable if you dig the style.

WVbeergeek, Jul 21, 2009

BamfBacon, Jun 08, 2014

Moosbacher Weissbier
.5l flip-top cap brown bottle, no apparent freshness dating.
$3.79 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Apparently a bad bottle, it opened with no crack, nor even a hiss. As I poured it no head built, regardless of how high I held the bottle or how I shook it up. What a disappointment. The paper strip over the metal enclosure was sealed, so it hadn't been tampered with. It poured crystal-clear, revealing a seriously sedimented yeast cake at the bottom of the bottle. I blame Total Wine & More for this, not the brewery.

Appearance: crystal-clear golden body until the yeast sediment was disturbed - I feel this is probably just a very old bottle. No head, but again, I can't fault the brewery without a better idea of what's happened.

Smell: Yeasty after the pour. Hay-like, spice, and yeast prior. Again, probably just well beyond its "best by" date. Some spicy and floral hops have survived however.

Taste: Grainy malt. Wheat. Some phenol; light touch of vanilla and banana.

Mouthfeel: Obviously I can't review the mouthfeel based on my sample. There is some carbonation but it's only about 2.1 volumes of C02 where it needs to be closer to 3.0.

Overall: Hard to tell. Based on what I have I find it balanced. I'd imagine that the spiciness of a fresh bottle would be refreshing. I'm going to seek a new bottle to do an update.

NeroFiddled, Aug 10, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -4.2%

Best before 04/2008 notched on the bottle, so this isn't the freshest bottle. 16.9oz flip-top bottle poured into a Schneider Weisse weizen glass. Pours a golden orange color with a fizzy off-white head. The aroma has a lot of wheat flavors with just a hint of banana and bubblegum. The taste is slightly toasted wheat and grain flavors with a dry yeasty finish. The mouthfeel is light bodied and highly carbonated with a fizzy cola-like mouthfeel. Overall, Moosbacher Weissbier is a pretty decent German Hefeweizen that I think would be much better if it was a little fresher.

cjgator3, Jun 08, 2008
2.7/5  rDev -25%

Poured a cloudy golden yellow with a big creamy off white head. Good Lacing and retention.

The smell is light and yeasty with hints of lemon and banana.

The flavor light and yeasty with a bit of lemony zest and and light grain.

The mouthfeel is light and creamy with a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability is fine, but overall the beer is boring and watery.

bashiba, Apr 14, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured from a .5L swing top to a classic hefe glass the liquid is pale with super huge carbonation that sizzles while you pour. The head is very tall, white, fades way fast and leaves little lace.

The smell is nice banana, cloves, very nice indeed.

The taste follows, just a real nice brew very good. Bananas and cloves dominate this classic hefeweizen.

The mouthfeel is very good great body and good carbonation.

The drinkability is very good a great call for a very good hefe.

Prosit, und Zum Wohl, MK

MuenchenerKindl, Jul 05, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from a 500 ml. plastic corked bottle with the metal lock with an expiration date of August 2010. Sampled on May 23, 2010. The cork made quite the pop and foamy fizz when I opened it. It poured pale yellow with about three inches of puffy, foamy off-white head that took several minutes to diminish. The wheat is the most powerful sensation in the aroma along with a nice balance of barley and yeast. It is of lighter texture but not watery thin. It has a nice creaminess to it. The wheat and barley taste is rather mild and easy to drink when all is said and done.

puboflyons, May 23, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +5%

A: A feverish uprising of effervesce is seen within the cloudy vibrant orange body. The head is rocky, off white but holds strong with a sheen like gloss above the rim.

S: The nose is strong wheat (duh) with dry bananas and dry orange peels. Nice, subtle spiciness of cloves come on the close. Fairly strong on the open it does soften somewhat rather quickly.

T: Crisp upfront, slightly fruity with dry oranges and wheat. The hopping is fresh, wet, and of the noble variety. Nice bite of slightly sour oranges and dry wheat grace the finish.

M: The mouthful is crisp and tight with a bubbly feel. Creamy and luscious with a wheat texture and a final fade of cloves and oranges.

D: Crisp drink, good for the summertime, worthy repeat.

beerthulhu, Feb 17, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a 16.9 ounce swingtop bottle into a weizen glass. Expiration date is notched for 3 months from now. Loud pop when it was first opened.

Appearance: Orange/yellow body. Cloudy with yeast. Good carbonation, head retention, and lacing.

Smell: A fair bit of cloves and spiciness. Not as smooth and fruity as I would like a hefeweizen to be.

Taste: Cloves with little to no ripe banana flavor. This one is a bit of a letdown. If you want to have a good German hefeweizen than you should purchase Weihenstephaner instead.

BierFan, Oct 22, 2008

Bluegrass49, Jun 18, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

1/2 ltr fliptop picked up at Market Limone in Nampa sometime last week for a very pricey $5... Shared with my buddy Matt .... my half in my smaller weizen glass.

3 finger head dies back leaving little lacing atop a hazy lite straw brew.

Aroma is mild cloves and very subtle banana.. it is definitely a weizen.. but seems pretty tame... more banana bread as it warms.

Flavor has more banana than cloves.. but still seems pretty restrained.. a little pils malt makes ties everything together with a little sweetness.. It is growing on me for sure.. carbonation and body is pretty spot on.. I am actually very surprised by this one as it grows with warmth.

The label says best by 12/8!! How is that possible with this brew in Idaho?! It does seem fresh but somehow it doesn't light my fire the way a nice draft Paulaner or Ayinger does.. but this is a very fine brew.

JohnGalt1, Jun 20, 2008
2.78/5  rDev -22.8%

I don't know what it is about cold days, but I always seem to want a hefeweizen. I guess I'm just backwards. This is one I haven't had before, so I grabbed it when I saw it.

APPEARANCE: Pale, hazy straw yellow with a huge white pillowy head that lasts and lasts. Perfect in my book. And the swing-top bottle puts it over the top.

SMELL: Banana is hard to find. Bubblegum is non-existent. Clove is well-hidden. Malted wheat and funky hops are about all I get. I have to say - I'm pretty disappointed.

TASTE: Alright, this is a bit better. The banana and bubblegum comes out to play a little bit. The taste is pretty empty though. The finish is actually prominently hoppy above all other things. Even the wheat is a bit hidden.

MOUTHFEEL: Just fine. A nice sharp carbonation and quite smooth. No complaints here.

DRINKABILITY: A fine refreshing beer. It doesn't taste bad. Everything is just kind of backwards from what I expect from the style. But taking this beer for what it is, it's not a bad choice.

Maybe this is the beer gods' way of telling me to wait until summer for hefeweizens. I'm backwards for drinking them, so I get a backwards beer. I probably wouldn't buy this again. Wait, scratch that. I'll buy it again so I can reuse the swing-top bottle. That's it though.

jmalex, Apr 09, 2007
3.84/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a cloudy golden amber with a fine, two finger white head with great retention and thick lacing. Classic hefeweizen aroma of wheat, clove, light lemon citrus and hint of banana. Flavor follows, with slightly sweet wheat, clove, light lemon and bit of banana, finishing with a little drier wheat and residual spicing. Light bodied with nice active carbonation. A nicely made, classic hefeweizen, a bit blander than some of the other classics in this style, but well balanced and pleasant to drink. I would defiinitely buy this again. I liked it a lot better than the schwarze version from this brewery.

LiquidAmber, May 05, 2014
3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is hazy golden yellow in color and has a very high amount of carbonation; some yeast particles are visible near the bottom of the glass. It poured into a weizen glass with a three finger high head that has excellent retention properties.
S: There are aromas of apples and bananas along with some hints of clove in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste is quite fruity and has a mild amount of sweetness. There are flavors of apples and wheat along with notes of yeast.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a high amount of carbonation.
D: The beer is very easy to drink and refreshing although there isn't much complexity in the taste.

metter98, Jan 26, 2011

djcira, Oct 25, 2014
3.3/5  rDev -8.3%

Thanks to my coworker, Mike, for getting me a bottle.

A - Poured from a 500 mL bottle into my hefeweizen glass. Pours a hazy orangish-yellow color with lots of carbonation bubbles rising on the side. It also pours with a ton of head that lingers for quite a while, and leaves lots of lacing on the glass. There are a few floaties in there.

S - Lots of wheat and lemon. It's not very diverse, but it's strong, and good. Kind of reminds me of a warm summer's day.

T - The wheat is the dominant flavor in this beer. There are hints of light citrus, and belgian yeast, but for the most part, it's all wheat all the time.

M - Well carbonated, crisp, and refreshing.

D - It's generally not my favorite style of beer, but I could drink more of this.

Kaiser81, May 13, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -25.6%

Got this on sale for $2.99 at WineSource in Baltimore. I bought four Moosbacher varieties.

We now move on to the last of the four varieties. The first three were absolutely atrocious, so if this one is just bad, I'll consider it a victory.

3.5 A: If the top wasn't attached to the bottle, it would have put a hole in my ceiling when I opened it. I didn't shake or perturb the bottle in any way and I still managed to get a spritzing of foam. I poured really slow and ended up (somehow) with a decent pour. Color is dark gold with a thick white head and uniform bubble size. Think lacing. Bubbles continuously radiating from bottom of bottle.

3.0 S: Grainy with some grassy hops. Spice and banana. Not really strong.

3.0 T: Decent taste, though carbonation makes it hard to perform the act of tasting. Strong clove, some banana, and grainy malts. A bit sour.

1.5 M: Like the other dark wheat variety, the mouthfeel significantly detracts from the taste cause it blows up in your mouth as soon as it gets there. Terrible.

2.0 D: For as unspectacular as this beer is in terms of smell and taste, the mouthfeel makes this beer very undrinkable.

Will never buy a Moosbacher again. 4 out of 4 losers.

DavoleBomb, Sep 26, 2008

crbnfbr, Sep 06, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Pop-top, 500 ml bottle, "Use before 12, 08", poured into weizen glass:

Pours golden, not nearly as cloudy as expected for the style, with a large white head that descends, in a rocky way, to a thin lasting cover.

The smell is of banana/clove and bubblegum.

The taste is of sweet grain, banana/clove and bubblegum. Sweet with a bitterish balance.

The body is light - a bit on the thin side, but enough to keep things together. Very smooth.

Not exceptional, but hits the main components of the style well enough, and there's certainly enough taste, and balance, to it to keep it interesting. Very smooth and highly drinkable, especially on a warm day. I could easily "session" this.

jwc215, Jun 02, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance: Clear honey color and bright white head of one-half finger. There's good lacing and a fine stream of bubbles. Overall, a handsome beer.

Smell: This isn't an aromatic brew, but it does smell nice. There are nice esters of yeast and banana. This beer also smells of lemon.

Tatse: As with the smell, I was hoping for more from this beer. In short, flavor is lacking in this beer. It's tastes fine, I was just looking for more yeast and malt flavors. You can expect weak malt, yeast, and lemon flavors.

Mouthfeel: Good for style.

Drinkability: This is a good beer. Give it a try, just don't expect an A beer.

cudmud, Jan 23, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Pours a hazy deep amber. Botched the pour resulting in way too much head. Head retention rather low, pretty much no lacing.

S: Strong fruity notes of orange, unusually fragrant for the style.

T: Very sweet with fairly low attenuation. Strong orange, no banana or clove apparent. This Hefeweizen is a bit one dimensional for my taste.

M: Pretty heavy body and sweetness is only partially offset by the orange flavored acidity. Overall I'm not in the mood for another, pretty low drinkability.

Overall while true to style, this is a bit of a simplistic and one dimensional rendition.

atlason, Apr 07, 2011