2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Moosbacher Weissbier - Private Landbrauerei Scheuerer

Moosbacher WeissbierMoosbacher Weissbier

good

Private Landbrauerei Scheuerer visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: GCBrewingCo on 04-28-2006)
View: Beers (6) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 75 | Reviews: 57 | Show All Ratings:
jmalex

2.78/5  rDev -22.8%

I don't know what it is about cold days, but I always seem to want a hefeweizen. I guess I'm just backwards. This is one I haven't had before, so I grabbed it when I saw it.

APPEARANCE: Pale, hazy straw yellow with a huge white pillowy head that lasts and lasts. Perfect in my book. And the swing-top bottle puts it over the top.

SMELL: Banana is hard to find. Bubblegum is non-existent. Clove is well-hidden. Malted wheat and funky hops are about all I get. I have to say - I'm pretty disappointed.

TASTE: Alright, this is a bit better. The banana and bubblegum comes out to play a little bit. The taste is pretty empty though. The finish is actually prominently hoppy above all other things. Even the wheat is a bit hidden.

MOUTHFEEL: Just fine. A nice sharp carbonation and quite smooth. No complaints here.

DRINKABILITY: A fine refreshing beer. It doesn't taste bad. Everything is just kind of backwards from what I expect from the style. But taking this beer for what it is, it's not a bad choice.

Maybe this is the beer gods' way of telling me to wait until summer for hefeweizens. I'm backwards for drinking them, so I get a backwards beer. I probably wouldn't buy this again. Wait, scratch that. I'll buy it again so I can reuse the swing-top bottle. That's it though.

04-09-2007 01:57:44 | More by jmalex
Braudog

2.98/5  rDev -17.2%

From a ceramic-lidded flip-top, this poured entirely foam at first which very slowly settled into a moderately active orange-yellow brew. The aroma is exceptionally stark and citric and over-the top sweet ... the combined effect of the giant white foam and the sugary-sweet aroma is almost like a sink full of freshly suds’d lemon dish soap. After the citurs on-slaught on my nasal passages, the first swallow is suprisingly starchy. The mouthfeel is much lighter than the prototypical Weissbiers, no yeasty doughiness here. Instead, this is a crisp, only lightly fruity, almost Pilsner-y beer. (#2726, 2/25/2007)

02-25-2007 21:25:48 | More by Braudog
SilentSabre

North Dakota

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Many thanks to BA Ding for dropping this off for me at work the other day. This is quite possibly one of the best hefeweizens I have had in a long time. Poured a hazy straw colour with moderate cloudiness (of course I haven't poured the remaining inch and a half with all the sediment in it, either). Nice, lovely snow white froth at least four inches thick with lots of CO2 streaming skywards. After about 60 seconds or so, when the head started to wane, it left nice webs of sticky lace on the sides of the glass. At first pour, this was nearly a text book hefe (appearance) IMO.
Smell was very, very nice. It smelled like clean, dry wheat and bananas, and that is all. In fact, it has the strongest banana profile of any hefe I have ever had.
Alright, I just poured the remaining beer into the weizen glass to exhibit some fairly large bits of sediment. They look like ground coffee, quite honestly.
Taste was of the average sweetness of most decent German hefeweizens. Very refeshing; I could see sessioning this in the middle of the summer. Most of the flavour arrives toward the middle and finish, and consists of mild spice and, of course, wheat. Mouthfeel was pretty average for a German hefe; neither offensive nor exceptionally delicious. Just average. Highly, highly drinkable!

01-20-2007 02:09:26 | More by SilentSabre
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Glassy goldenrod with a generous amount of carbonation zipping up to a pale lemon mousse head. Naturally, I expected to see some yeast since I don't see the words 'Kristal Weizen' or 'filtered' on the label (note: the final few pours murk things up nicely). The foam cap is the best part of the appearance. It has a quality look about it, melts slowly and deposits a good bit of lace in the bargain.

Even though the aroma is on the subtle side, I like it because it favors banana. Of the three major components of a hefe weizen nose, that's by far my favorite. A mild clove spiciness keeps it from smelling like a banana fruit beer.

Something is lost in the transition from nose to mouth. It's not that Moosbacher Weissbier is a lousy version, it's just that the flavor doesn't carry through on the modest promise made by the aroma. It's a tad underflavored and favors harsh and grainy over soft and wheaty. It's also more hoppy-bitter than sweet or tangy.

Each upending of the glass gives me a noseful of banana esters. More's the pity that they go into hiding on the palate. My hefe weizen banan-o-meter score is a rather disappointing 2.0/5.0. Interestingly enough, clove is now more prominent. I don't know that I've even seen a hefe weizen yeast behave this way. That is, do a complete flip-flop from banana to clove as one moves from the sniff to the sip.

The body is too light and too carbonated. I had hoped that all those bubbles would either fade considerably over time or be fairly gentle in the mouth. Nope and nope. I won't be too unkind though since it isn't that out of line for the style, but I'm not thrilled with the mouthfeel at all.

There's no end, it seems, to the number of German hefe weizens that make it to our shores. Most of them are fairly good and I'm sure that they're even better fresh and/or on-tap. Since I don't have any current plans to visit Deutschland, I'm stuck with drinking beer that is almost certainly in less than perfect shape. Even so, I can think of at least ten hefes that have this one beat by a fairly large margin.

08-04-2006 18:44:34 | More by BuckeyeNation
Ego

found @ Oak Tree Buy Rite, Edison NJ

eyes...
damn near exploded on me.. holy crap was this thing ready to blow.. needless to say the carbonation here is pretty damn crazy. 3 full fingers of pure white head, big soapy foam that settles at a good clip, paler than pale straw, hell it almost looks like an american macro. the head is nice but the rest is lacking except the lacing... hard to score it above average... even if the head and lacing are very good. pouring in the rest of the bottle made this haze up really nicely, I upped my appearance score to 3.5. note: this has massive carbonation, it gets out of control very easily!

nose...
slightly skunky doughy wheat tone, a nice second waft brings out bannana and some cinnamon notes. the nose is strong and easy to pick up, well done! this has all the characteristics you would expect from a hefe but is 'just' different enough.

taste etc...
sharper on the tongue than I thought it would be, assertive, the carbonation makes this almost creamy, you are left with a sour bitterness, almost like granny smith apples... the carbonation enters prickly and exits smooth, the typical hefe flavor is a bit spicer here, like white pepper, much more aggressive in that respect than some heffes.

verdict?
not an all day drinker.. I can't imagine the gas.. well, if you are pissed off at your wife I suppose you could drink this all day and then dutch oven her for kicks.. but since I aint married I don't want to be the SS Burp factory.. but for breaking one of these out on a pool day? hell yeah. It's tasty and a little off the beaten track...

06-27-2006 02:01:09 | More by Ego
Suds

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

This brew is a golden straw colored liquid that’s relatively clear for the style. It sports a mountainous white head that leaves enormous tufts of lace. The abundant carbonation is notable just by glancing at the beer, which is filled with huge streams of endless bubbles. The aroma is absolutely filled with wheat twang and a tart acidic smell. These smells, which seemed more prounounced here than is many other weiss beers, are backed by a modest clove phenol. A bit of yeast aroma and a very faint banana ester quality come out after a few sips, and were not immediately notable. Citrus characteristics pop up in the taste, which along with the twang and carbonation give this brew a bright and refreshing feel. The finish is substantially bitter, which I really liked, given the tartness of the beer. It seemed to go together pretty well. More phenols and esters wouldn’t have hurt here. The brew was interesting, engaging. Although it wasn’t stellar, I did enjoy it quite a bit.

06-10-2006 11:56:15 | More by Suds
GCBrewingCo

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured into the Tucher glass lightly hazy pale golden straw with an off-white and neverending head which caused a two and three part pour. The head was moussy and tall and lasted well to lace the glass. As the last of the bottle was added to the beer it became noticeably more cloudy with yeast in suspension.

The aroma was fruity with a banana and mango presence (yup, mango) and a light clove spice.

The flavor was fruity with a nice fruit flavor of banana and some other fruit, which still reminds me a bit of mango. There was a substantial bittering for a weissbier and a light clove spice. The bittering was lightly spicy and lightly metallic in nature. There was also a nice wheat presence (of course).

The finish was dry with a lasting fruit character on the palate, bittering and bit of clove spice into the aftertaste. The body was medium with a nice wheat mouthfeel. This one grew on me during consumption and what at first seemed a bit overbittered really became interesting. It could use a stronger fruit presence and stronger clove presence, but was a nice brew all in all.

0.5l flip top bottle. Use before 10 06 on label.

04-28-2006 22:25:29 | More by GCBrewingCo